First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Post Reply Oxford law students given 'trigger warnings' before traumatic material
Posted 5/12/16

goodman528 wrote:

Don't you think Mao was right in giving the younger generation the experience of the hardships in life? Rather than "teach kids to run away from things that scare, hurt, or offend them as opposed to helping them learn coping skills and giving them the strength to overcome anything.", Mao really gave the younger generation a lot of coping skills to deal with anything. These who survived anyway. You are saying not forcing students to learn things they have no interest in and may offend them in some way is sheltering them too much from the realities of life. Really? You want to force them to learn some real coping skills? Because it has been done before.

Can't you see that some people may not want to experience certain things, and they should have the choice of not experiencing these things. In movies and TV they are given this choice with movie classification warnings. In classes they can be given similar trigger warnings. Many people are not affected by the material, but some are.


Please refer to my response to your first response to me.
18678 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F
Offline
Posted 5/12/16

Rujikin wrote:


KarenAraragi wrote:


macht_gut wrote:

Sometimes I wonder if this is all a nightmare. This is so sad. When will they grow up?


When a bomb explodes around them and realise that being a pussy will only make the situation worst.


"OMFG I AM SO TRIGGERED AND EMOTIONALLY DISTRESSED! I AM NOW MENTALLY DISABLED FOR LIFE AND NEED WELFARE!!!!!"


Meanwhile everyone actually injured wants to beat the shit out of that faggot.


exactly how I feel I cant work because of my back and heart, not to mention severe constipation to the point if every week I don't do a clean out all day for 3 days I would have to be hospitalized
then there are ppl who are just lazy and want everything free
Posted 5/12/16
This is the dumbest idea I"ve heard so far..I'd probably just use it to get out of class and lots of others will do the same...ty soft America.
5019 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 5/12/16
Oh. My. God.... LOL

27591 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
51 / M / Inside the Anime...
Offline
Posted 6/7/16

goodman528 wrote:


Steelmonk wrote:


goodman528 wrote:

chill bro. most of them will go into corporate / financial law, and very few will ever complete any law suits. settlements, taxes and compliance for big corporations is where the money is.


every movie you have ever watched has a "trigger warning" about violence / sexual content / offensive language, as well as an age rating. are you upset over that as well?


this is typical blend of tabloid journalist sensationalizing a none-story to sell news and white men who have never experienced institutional discrimination crying about an issue that doesn't affect them.



Hmm... what do old white guys have to do with the general weakness of the general younger population? Does this non issue bother you that much? Discrimination? Hmm... Did you ever think that when you call out a bunch of old white guys that you are being discriminatory against the elderly? Is it ok for you to say such things because you are entitled to a double standard? Do two wrongs make a right? Sorry I just have to call you out. You started off reasonably well. Then you went all ageism. Do you hate your grand parents?


I don't know what post you read, but the one I wrote and you quoted (never edited) doesn't mention old people anywhere. All I'm saying is this is another case of people who are not affected by the issue shouting at people who are affected: "Get over it! I'm not affected so why should you be?" Which is an argument that makes no sense whatsoever. If you don't get offended by anything, then good for you, but some people do get offended or affected by some materials and they may want to have a trigger warning, why should you care whether or not such a trigger warning is provided for them? Do you also rage against disabled parking spaces because you can't accept the fact that some people are different to you?


Sorry just got back.

You are correct I misread, it wasn't old white guys, it was just white guys. Don't you think that's still bad? Don't you believe that it's racism? Is it ok to be a bigot? Woe is me, some other people make or made my life unpleasant. Why does it have to be some white guy? After all I'm black, and I think they are weak as hell. And I went through some shit in the 70's. It's not just a bunch of white guys, I think it's most adult society. Look you want to be safe? You have to build yourself, and make yourself strong. Strength comes from inside, not by making society cater to your internal problems. Hey we all have a cross to bear, that's why we must strengthen ourselves and our internal resolve. Asking the world to change for us, makes us weaker. Facing the world, building and fortifying ourselves for the future is the right way. Yeah it can hurt, and it sucks all the be damned, however, I think you'll find the final product to be superior. A human who has felt pain, learned to overcome, and finally help others carry their pain due to their own internal strength. Relax, you have a lot of life to live, don't start shying away from the race when you've just started. Different than me? of course you are!! I'm a grown man in his 50's at the last third of his life with 2 kids in high school, who's traveled, speaks multiple languages, been a soldier, a scientist, an engineer, a janitor, a martial artist, a busboy, a line cook, a landscaper. No you are not like me, however, I do understand you can be hurt, you will recover, and you will get stronger....or you roll up and perish like some of my friends...Look at life dead on and don't flinch.

Sogno- 
45625 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/7/16

Steelmonk wrote:

Look you want to be safe? You have to build yourself, and make yourself strong. Strength comes from inside, not by making society cater to your internal problems. Hey we all have a cross to bear, that's why we must strengthen ourselves and our internal resolve. Asking the world to change for us, makes us weaker.


good Lord brother preach it

18323 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/7/16 , edited 6/7/16

Steelmonk wrote:


goodman528 wrote:


Steelmonk wrote:


goodman528 wrote:

chill bro. most of them will go into corporate / financial law, and very few will ever complete any law suits. settlements, taxes and compliance for big corporations is where the money is.


every movie you have ever watched has a "trigger warning" about violence / sexual content / offensive language, as well as an age rating. are you upset over that as well?


this is typical blend of tabloid journalist sensationalizing a none-story to sell news and white men who have never experienced institutional discrimination crying about an issue that doesn't affect them.



Hmm... what do old white guys have to do with the general weakness of the general younger population? Does this non issue bother you that much? Discrimination? Hmm... Did you ever think that when you call out a bunch of old white guys that you are being discriminatory against the elderly? Is it ok for you to say such things because you are entitled to a double standard? Do two wrongs make a right? Sorry I just have to call you out. You started off reasonably well. Then you went all ageism. Do you hate your grand parents?


I don't know what post you read, but the one I wrote and you quoted (never edited) doesn't mention old people anywhere. All I'm saying is this is another case of people who are not affected by the issue shouting at people who are affected: "Get over it! I'm not affected so why should you be?" Which is an argument that makes no sense whatsoever. If you don't get offended by anything, then good for you, but some people do get offended or affected by some materials and they may want to have a trigger warning, why should you care whether or not such a trigger warning is provided for them? Do you also rage against disabled parking spaces because you can't accept the fact that some people are different to you?


Sorry just got back.

You are correct I misread, it wasn't old white guys, it was just white guys. Don't you think that's still bad? Don't you believe that it's racism? Is it ok to be a bigot? Woe is me, some other people make or made my life unpleasant. Why does it have to be some white guy? After all I'm black, and I think they are weak as hell. And I went through some shit in the 70's. It's not just a bunch of white guys, I think it's most adult society. Look you want to be safe? You have to build yourself, and make yourself strong. Strength comes from inside, not by making society cater to your internal problems. Hey we all have a cross to bear, that's why we must strengthen ourselves and our internal resolve. Asking the world to change for us, makes us weaker. Facing the world, building and fortifying ourselves for the future is the right way. Yeah it can hurt, and it sucks all the be damned, however, I think you'll find the final product to be superior. A human who has felt pain, learned to overcome, and finally help others carry their pain due to their own internal strength. Relax, you have a lot of life to live, don't start shying away from the race when you've just started. Different than me? of course you are!! I'm a grown man in his 50's at the last third of his life with 2 kids in high school, who's traveled, speaks multiple languages, been a soldier, a scientist, an engineer, a janitor, a martial artist, a busboy, a line cook, a landscaper. No you are not like me, however, I do understand you can be hurt, you will recover, and you will get stronger....or you roll up and perish like some of my friends...Look at life dead on and don't flinch.




Warning signs don't apply to most people in most situations, that's why it's a dumb idea to oppose the implementation of any kind of warning sign. Are you affected? No. Good. End of story.

Do you also complain about health and safety policies? For example some companies insist that you must hold the handrail at all times whenever you are on stairs. Do you complain about age ratings for games and movies? Because these are "trigger warnings" we have already implemented. How about access ramps and reserved spaces for disabled people? That's also something that doesn't affect most people.

Don't know why you would think trigger warnings could be racism. The sentence "white men who have never experienced institutional discrimination crying about an issue that doesn't affect them." is to illustrate this is another case where the majority of people who are not affected by the issue fails to understand the necessity of providing for the needs of the minority who are affected. This is literally the replay of the opposition argument to every piece of civil rights legislation we have ever passed.
27591 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
51 / M / Inside the Anime...
Offline
Posted 6/7/16

goodman528 wrote:


Steelmonk wrote:


goodman528 wrote:


Steelmonk wrote:


goodman528 wrote:

chill bro. most of them will go into corporate / financial law, and very few will ever complete any law suits. settlements, taxes and compliance for big corporations is where the money is.


every movie you have ever watched has a "trigger warning" about violence / sexual content / offensive language, as well as an age rating. are you upset over that as well?


this is typical blend of tabloid journalist sensationalizing a none-story to sell news and white men who have never experienced institutional discrimination crying about an issue that doesn't affect them.



Hmm... what do old white guys have to do with the general weakness of the general younger population? Does this non issue bother you that much? Discrimination? Hmm... Did you ever think that when you call out a bunch of old white guys that you are being discriminatory against the elderly? Is it ok for you to say such things because you are entitled to a double standard? Do two wrongs make a right? Sorry I just have to call you out. You started off reasonably well. Then you went all ageism. Do you hate your grand parents?


I don't know what post you read, but the one I wrote and you quoted (never edited) doesn't mention old people anywhere. All I'm saying is this is another case of people who are not affected by the issue shouting at people who are affected: "Get over it! I'm not affected so why should you be?" Which is an argument that makes no sense whatsoever. If you don't get offended by anything, then good for you, but some people do get offended or affected by some materials and they may want to have a trigger warning, why should you care whether or not such a trigger warning is provided for them? Do you also rage against disabled parking spaces because you can't accept the fact that some people are different to you?


Sorry just got back.

You are correct I misread, it wasn't old white guys, it was just white guys. Don't you think that's still bad? Don't you believe that it's racism? Is it ok to be a bigot? Woe is me, some other people make or made my life unpleasant. Why does it have to be some white guy? After all I'm black, and I think they are weak as hell. And I went through some shit in the 70's. It's not just a bunch of white guys, I think it's most adult society. Look you want to be safe? You have to build yourself, and make yourself strong. Strength comes from inside, not by making society cater to your internal problems. Hey we all have a cross to bear, that's why we must strengthen ourselves and our internal resolve. Asking the world to change for us, makes us weaker. Facing the world, building and fortifying ourselves for the future is the right way. Yeah it can hurt, and it sucks all the be damned, however, I think you'll find the final product to be superior. A human who has felt pain, learned to overcome, and finally help others carry their pain due to their own internal strength. Relax, you have a lot of life to live, don't start shying away from the race when you've just started. Different than me? of course you are!! I'm a grown man in his 50's at the last third of his life with 2 kids in high school, who's traveled, speaks multiple languages, been a soldier, a scientist, an engineer, a janitor, a martial artist, a busboy, a line cook, a landscaper. No you are not like me, however, I do understand you can be hurt, you will recover, and you will get stronger....or you roll up and perish like some of my friends...Look at life dead on and don't flinch.




Warning signs don't apply to most people in most situations, that's why it's a dumb idea to oppose the implementation of any kind of warning sign. Are you affected? No. Good. End of story.

Do you also complain about health and safety policies? For example some companies insist that you must hold the handrail at all times whenever you are on stairs. Do you complain about age ratings for games and movies? Because these are "trigger warnings" we have already implemented. How about access ramps and reserved spaces for disabled people? That's also something that doesn't affect most people.

Don't know why you would think trigger warnings could be racism. The sentence "white men who have never experienced institutional discrimination crying about an issue that doesn't affect them." is to illustrate this is another case where the majority of people who are not affected by the issue fails to understand the necessity of providing for the needs of the minority who are affected. This is literally the replay of the opposition argument to every piece of civil rights legislation we have ever passed.



You assume too much. Not affected? By things that deeply disturb me? Or cause anguish? Haha, you like to win at any price, don't you? keep chanting a mantra, it will be true, but only to you. Using white men to illustrate a case is still racism. Slice it any way you want.
1224 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / ya mum's house
Offline
Posted 6/7/16
people assume nowadays that they have the right not to be offended. People also assume that they can censor anybody with a controversial opinion because it causes them distress. One of the reasons Donald trump is hated so much by so many is because he is so politically incorrect. Obama's whole presidential term was spent with his administration trying to play nice with everybody. Because of that, many other foreign world leaders considered him a laughingstock. Feminists can now get outraged over anything that involves a man and a woman and force their ideals on the media aka censor them. One example is Rose McGowan being outraged over the x-men apocalypse poster. People are starting to believe that they are entitled by various institutions such as universities to protect them from getting their feelings hurt. That is childish and self-centered. The world can be a dark and scary place. People need to realize that their feelings aren't as important as they think they are and grow up and take things head on. Political correctness is a cancer. It is a doctored way of viewing things that keeps people from holding real opinions about anything for fear that people will attack them and label them negatively. Although this article in question may not be talking about political correctness, I bring it up because of the way our culture seems to be going in way of protecting people from hearing or seeing anything negative. People just need to grow up. People need to look at the world from a realistic point of view. The world is uncomfortable and can be nasty to live in sometimes. People need to face that reality head on instead of living in a dream world where everybody gets along and their opinions are cared about by EVERYONE. However, that isn't the case.
Posted 6/8/16
4462 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / Philippines
Offline
Posted 6/8/16
I mean I get that they respect people who have triggers and all but...
wouldn't it be better if people who have triggers find a new career path? @@;;;
I think choosing a career path comes with accepting the negativity that come with it.
If you know you are going to be "triggered" by something, just avoid it . ___ . ;;;
5019 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 6/8/16

couvier wrote:

I mean I get that they respect people who have triggers and all but...
wouldn't it be better if people who have triggers find a new career path? @@;;;
I think choosing a career path comes with accepting the negativity that come with it.
If you know you are going to be "triggered" by something, just avoid it . ___ . ;;;


You're talking about college kids nowadays... THAT won't happen. They'll bitch and moan till they get their way.
4462 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / Philippines
Offline
Posted 6/8/16

D4nc3Style wrote:



You're talking about college kids nowadays... THAT won't happen. They'll bitch and moan till they get their way.


I'm a college student as well and yeah, I can confirm that's true. It's sad, really ;c
12797 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Kentucky, USA
Offline
Posted 6/8/16
My thing on this isn't that they give warning, it is that these students seem to be allowed to leave after giving said warning without any repercussions. If you miss class you shouldn't get an exemption because something triggered you without some type of proper medical note, the same as if you missed class for any other reason. This system is going to get abused, Oxford is going to realize it is being abused, and then they will most likely fix it promptly. As someone stated earlier about getting warnings in the form of film ratings, yes you do have those but those should be more comparable to the syllabus in my opinion. Where once you get that you can promptly decide whether this is for you or not. Being able to leave after arriving at class should be like leaving after you've already entered the theater and taken a seat. Can you leave? Sure. But you won't get a refund for it just like you won't get credit for anything you missed in class.
19 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/8/16 , edited 6/8/16
This whole "Trigger Warning" thing is not new we have been living with it forever its just be rebranded as trigger warnings to paint a group (SJW) negatively. Someone else here brought up ratings on movies and games warning what kind of content was to be expected. Lawyers in courtrooms have also been doing this, warning people when graphic content was going to be disaplyed. Most people have probably given slight warnings to others when they are going to talk about a touchy subject. This is common curiosity to warn people about the issues that are most known to be associated with trauma. A small disclaimer that's all it is. Humans trying to be kind to one another.


For people also bringing up that there should be repercussions for the students that don't attend the lesson do you honestly think that they are going to change the BAR exam? These students are still going to have to pass with the accepted amount, whether they don't score well on the section they exempted themselves from doesn't matter if they pass their exams.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.