First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply Former Facebook Employees: We Routinely Censored Conservative News
37330 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / US
Online
Posted 5/12/16 , edited 5/12/16
Also in news... fox news is conservative bias, north korean news is great leader bias........I've got no problem with this only people that should have an issue with this are ones that somehow still believe that a multi-billion dollar company has no agenda. Money and Power. Every agenda seeks to oppress the opinions of the other side.
10831 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
13 / F / California
Offline
Posted 5/12/16
Mark Zuckerberg is a fucking tool. His outlawing gun pages on facebook should pretty much tell you what you need to know about that piece of human trash.
25139 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Beyond The Wall
Offline
Posted 5/12/16
INB4 Jews control the media
36990 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Bellingham WA, USA
Offline
Posted 5/12/16
Yeah I really can't stand Facebook trending news, so this doesn't surprise me a bit. It's kind of bullshit that they don't let people just turn the stupid thing off. At the end of the day I ended up just installing a Firefox extension to do it for me. It's pretty great. Facebook hasn't been such a friendly site for me in years.

Of course my head in the sand approach to clickbait "news" would work a lot better if there weren't half a dozen CR users who routinely copy/paste all the crap I hide on FB into these forums. But oh well.
3379 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / South Florida
Offline
Posted 5/12/16

That's a bit of a stretch, IMO. Anyone can run their company as they see fit. If you don't like it you don't have to stick with it. Remember, we used to vote on changes (see link) until lack of involvement shut it down. People ruined Facebook, you can't blame anyone for it but those who didn't argue their point.

Fuuuuurther more, gun pages were not banned, but rather pages that facilitated unlicensed sales and trading of firearms (without going trough a vendor for background checks, etc) were banned.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/10/tech/social-media/facebook-policy-vote/
34946 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 5/12/16 , edited 5/12/16
>Facebook
>News Source

There's your problem as far as I'm concerned. It's one thing to follow social media posts to get an inside look into what's going on in areas where journalism is difficult or impossible. It's another to rely on the trending news feed of a social media website as the main source of your information. Stop it.

Edit:

I will yield, however, that if a social media website is to have a trending news feed in principle it really ought not filter away conservative news sources even if in practice this is their right. But really, couldn't a Facebook user that's particularly concerned about whether they're seeing the latest news from outlets like the National Review or Breitbart just visit those news sources' Facebook pages and their own sites? Both still exist. There are still outlets for conservative news both on and off of Facebook.
Posted 5/12/16
They've said they found no evidence of manipulation as alleged by ONE former employee. Even if they had, it's their platform. They have no obligation to be objective and unbiased. This is pretty hypocritically given all commotion conservatives made when they thought democrats wanted to bring back the Fairness Doctrine. Thune himself said, "I believe it is dangerous for Congress and federal regulators to wade into the public airwaves to determine what opinions should be expressed and what kind of speech is 'fair." This undercuts every American's freedom of speech, and I urge my colleagues to reject any renewed institution of the Fairness Doctrine, which is nothing more than government controlled censorship."
10831 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
13 / F / California
Offline
Posted 5/13/16

ForCom5 wrote:


That's a bit of a stretch, IMO. Anyone can run their company as they see fit. If you don't like it you don't have to stick with it. Remember, we used to vote on changes (see link) until lack of involvement shut it down. People ruined Facebook, you can't blame anyone for it but those who didn't argue their point.

Fuuuuurther more, gun pages were not banned, but rather pages that facilitated unlicensed sales and trading of firearms (without going trough a vendor for background checks, etc) were banned.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/10/tech/social-media/facebook-policy-vote/


100% legal gun sales and trading banned.
3379 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / South Florida
Offline
Posted 5/13/16


Legal, sure, but FB just doesn't want to do them. You could try and start up such a page here and I assure you, you won't be getting very far.

So we're back to the fact that Facebook is a company that runs a public forum, and because they own it, they can do with it as they see fit in nearly every regard. There really isn't much more to it than that.
8116 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / Canada
Offline
Posted 5/13/16
so Facebook is a company with an agenda you say?

yea i've heard similar claims from a number of pages i've liked. don't know if it's true or not but many of my pagan/wiccan facebook pages occasionally remind us to check in regularly because facebook censors the community so they won'r appear as frequently. not sure how true that is, but if they don't appear on my newsfeed for a few days i go right to the page.

in a perfect world, this wouldn't happen, but people in power will do what they like if they have the ability to influence others.
5019 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 5/13/16

nooneinparticular wrote:

They've said they found no evidence of manipulation as alleged by ONE former employee. Even if they had, it's their platform. They have no obligation to be objective and unbiased. This is pretty hypocritically given all commotion conservatives made when they thought democrats wanted to bring back the Fairness Doctrine. Thune himself said, "I believe it is dangerous for Congress and federal regulators to wade into the public airwaves to determine what opinions should be expressed and what kind of speech is 'fair." This undercuts every American's freedom of speech, and I urge my colleagues to reject any renewed institution of the Fairness Doctrine, which is nothing more than government controlled censorship."


Of course they didn't, haha. But yet I've had friends banned from Facebook for speaking negatively about Refugees, BLM, safe spaces, or saying something "offensive" about Muslims.

But, you know, of course they didn't find anything wrong with their own investigation.

10831 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
13 / F / California
Offline
Posted 5/13/16

D4nc3Style wrote:


nooneinparticular wrote:

They've said they found no evidence of manipulation as alleged by ONE former employee. Even if they had, it's their platform. They have no obligation to be objective and unbiased. This is pretty hypocritically given all commotion conservatives made when they thought democrats wanted to bring back the Fairness Doctrine. Thune himself said, "I believe it is dangerous for Congress and federal regulators to wade into the public airwaves to determine what opinions should be expressed and what kind of speech is 'fair." This undercuts every American's freedom of speech, and I urge my colleagues to reject any renewed institution of the Fairness Doctrine, which is nothing more than government controlled censorship."


Of course they didn't, haha. But yet I've had friends banned from Facebook for speaking negatively about Refugees, BLM, safe spaces, or saying something "offensive" about Muslims.

But, you know, of course they didn't find anything wrong with their own investigation.



Yeah no shit. Facebook finds nothing wrong with what Facebook is doing.

Posted 5/13/16
:/ Don't get news from Facebook. Lesson learned.
Posted 5/13/16 , edited 5/13/16

D4nc3Style wrote:


nooneinparticular wrote:

They've said they found no evidence of manipulation as alleged by ONE former employee. Even if they had, it's their platform. They have no obligation to be objective and unbiased. This is pretty hypocritically given all commotion conservatives made when they thought democrats wanted to bring back the Fairness Doctrine. Thune himself said, "I believe it is dangerous for Congress and federal regulators to wade into the public airwaves to determine what opinions should be expressed and what kind of speech is 'fair." This undercuts every American's freedom of speech, and I urge my colleagues to reject any renewed institution of the Fairness Doctrine, which is nothing more than government controlled censorship."


Of course they didn't, haha. But yet I've had friends banned from Facebook for speaking negatively about Refugees, BLM, safe spaces, or saying something "offensive" about Muslims.

But, you know, of course they didn't find anything wrong with their own investigation.



That's all we are likely to get if, and if that's not good enough I suggest you stop using it or at least for news and those comments.

You'll find no shortage of platforms that will ban users for xenophobia and racism.
190 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / In the Mountains
Offline
Posted 5/13/16
Really! You mean Face Book has an agenda...who would of ever thought? Wake up!
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.