First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply Those with bad grammar aren't intelligent?
20759 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Offline
Posted 5/14/16
So i see this a lot online and i find it funny because i have been called out by people for using Your instead of you're and other mistakes all the time.

I routinely get grammar wrong even thought i know proper grammar and make the same mistakes over and over \ o /
So people just assume because of that you can't be intelligent.


I don't understand that way of thinking.

Just because someone is bad with grammar and has a hard time with it doesn't mean they aren't intelligent in general...for all you know they could be in university or know things that one would consider only possible with intelligence (High level Mathematics etc).

I think the whole if you don't use grammar properly you are not intelligent and are dumb argument and belief is pretty dumb and just makes people look unintelligent.

That's my opinion on it however honestly i don't really care about using the right Your or You're most of the time online since i assume people have the basic intelligence to read into context and i'm a lazy shit.



i dunno i just find it really funny and stupid how people go aggro and everyone corrects people aggressively if there grammar is incorrect it just makes them seem like children to me
17006 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Australia
Offline
Posted 5/14/16 , edited 5/25/16
I'm sorry but the grammar in this post wasn't 100% accurate so i'm afraid I just can't this seriously.
Posted 5/14/16 , edited 5/15/16

dchompy wrote:

I'm sorry but the grammar in this post wasn't 100% accurate so i'm afraid I just can't this seriously.


10/10 comeback
Posted 5/14/16 , edited 5/15/16
If you truly know proper grammar as you claim and yet choose to carry on making mistakes, then you're lazy and making your wall of text harder to read for no reason, leading people like me to not want to put effort into comprehending things you say and to assume you're stupid.

But I don't usually assume people are dumb just because they can't spell or can't do the grammaz, just uneducated.

20759 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Offline
Posted 5/14/16

dchompy wrote:

I'm sorry but the grammar in this post wasn't 100% accurate so i'm afraid I just can't this seriously.


10/10
20759 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Offline
Posted 5/14/16 , edited 5/14/16

Hail_King_Kakao wrote:

If you truly know proper grammar as you claim and yet choose to carry on making mistakes, then you're lazy and making your wall of text harder to read for no reason, leading people like me to not want to put effort into comprehending things you say and to assume you're stupid.



Which in itself is a stupid thing to assume in my opinion.
I know grammar to an extent but have troubles with it i will admit i make those mistakes mostly because i don't re-read over everything i write i just write and submit after all it's just the internet not a test.

It's not hard to comprehend or read anything i wrote here ...i mean unless you're a grade schooler :sweatingbullets:

My terrible Grammar aside to assume i'm not intelligent or someone isn't because there grammar sucks is a very ignorant thing to assume.
Posted 5/14/16 , edited 5/14/16

Ryulightorb wrote:

Which in itself is a stupid thing to assume in my opinion.
I know grammar to an extent but have troubles with it i will admit.

It's not hard to comprehend or read anything i wrote here ...i mean unless you're a grade schooler :sweatingbullets:


I was being hypothetical. And you're right, in this instance it was pretty easy, but I know for a fact you can be pretty hard to understand sometimes, and I have had times where I just don't read it. No hard feelings brah.

Unless you're a kawaii girl talking in text speak. Then I'll take everything back qtpie.
20759 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Offline
Posted 5/14/16

Hail_King_Kakao wrote:


Ryulightorb wrote:

Which in itself is a stupid thing to assume in my opinion.
I know grammar to an extent but have troubles with it i will admit.

It's not hard to comprehend or read anything i wrote here ...i mean unless you're a grade schooler :sweatingbullets:


I was being hypothetical. And you're right, in this instance it was pretty easy, but I know for a fact you can be pretty hard to understand sometimes, and I have had times where I just don't read it. No hard feelings brah.


fair enough and i guess i can be hard to understand but still no need to instantly think (oh this person is not intelligent in the slightest) just because of one aspect.

There are multiple areas you need to judge to get a accurate view of ones intelligence at least that's what i believe.
16741 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Hoosierville
Offline
Posted 5/14/16
So Einstein wasn't that smart because he had bad grammars and couldn't match socks.
Posted 5/14/16 , edited 5/14/16

Ryulightorb wrote:

fair enough and i guess i can be hard to understand but still no need to instantly think (oh this person is not intelligent in the slightest) just because of one aspect.

There are multiple areas you need to judge to get a accurate view of ones intelligence at least that's what i believe.


As true as that is there's way too many people on the planet to spend time to get to know well enough to judge their smartness. I'd rather just stick to generalizations for the vast majority of the population, I'm a busy guy.
Posted 5/14/16 , edited 5/15/16

Rujikin wrote:

So Einstein wasn't that smart because he had bad grammars and couldn't match socks.


E=MC^2 where E is energy and M is mass and C is the speed of light..*falls on the floor for tangling his socks"...*cries*.."help me"
20759 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Offline
Posted 5/14/16

Hail_King_Kakao wrote:


Ryulightorb wrote:

fair enough and i guess i can be hard to understand but still no need to instantly think (oh this person is not intelligent in the slightest) just because of one aspect.

There are multiple areas you need to judge to get a accurate view of ones intelligence at least that's what i believe.


As true as that is there's way too many people on the planet to spend time to get to know well enough to judge their smartness. I'd rather just stick to generalizations for the vast majority of the population, I'm a busy guy.


Fair enough.
xxJing 
37179 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Duckburg
Offline
Posted 5/14/16
A few spelling mistakes aren't what I would consider bad grammar. Everyone makes them while typing, you for the most part are focusing on getting a message across quickly and efficiently and sometimes that involves some bugs when it comes to spelling.

What is bad grammar that is indicative of low intelligence is extremely poor sentence structure with frequent misspelling. I also don't mean simply typos or using the wrong version of the word in certain situations. I mean making spelling mistakes that indicate that you don't know how the word is spelled in the first place. I have friends on facebook that spell like that, and they usually have something stupid to say also.

If someone says something stupid in a stupid manner, well, that's not a good indication of high intelligence.
3383 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / South Florida
Offline
Posted 5/14/16 , edited 5/14/16
I feel attacks on grammar during an actual argument are just a cop-out. They've lost the actual argument, and are now forced to use ad hominem attacks to stroke what's left of their ego.

e: ...grammar... heheh
2270 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Southern US
Offline
Posted 5/14/16 , edited 5/14/16
As a major language nerd: generally, no, grammatical mistakes aren't a sign of stupidity per se. Many things that are considered mistakes are actually more of a matter of dialect, many of which I happen to like. I use ain't, y'all, and various other things that are considered incorrect.

However, there comes a point where certain things make reading what you are writing become difficult. In these cases, the errors are usually true errors, and continuing to make these mistakes shows either an inability or unwillingness to learn.

Your constant use of run-on sentences (the only punctuation being the rare period or misused ellipsis) makes reading anything you type a major chore for me, and so I will often not read what you say. I'm not trying to be mean by any stretch, but you have to see where people are coming from when they try to enforce certain grammatical rules. It makes a major difference. People have a reason for pushing these rules, and they are valid so long as it isn't stretched into territory it doesn't belong.

"i helped my uncle jack off a horse"
"I helped my Uncle Jack off a horse."

"I brought the strippers jack and david along with some beer to the party"
"I brought the strippers, Jack, and David, along with some beer, to the party."

"Woman, without her man, is nothing."
"Woman: without her, man is nothing. "

In those examples, the use of punctuation and capitalization alone drastically changes the meaning of the sentences.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.