First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply Professional Sports Seasons Never Stop!
Ronxz 
324 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Virginia
Offline
Posted 5/21/16
I've noticed in the past few years the seasons for professional sports such as the NBA, MLB, and even the NHL are being extended further... and further... and further... The only reason the NFL hasn't been extended is because the players refused to do so after they extended the season an extra 2 games.

Ultimately, we should just skip ahead and let the damn teams play year around since that's where we're going and I personally hate it. You have to have a DVR if you follow more than one spot. That's going to damn far. The NBA and MLB NEVER END! The NFL and NHL will get there soon enough I am sure. I swear, every time I turn the TV on they are still playing. Can't someone make it stop!?
14924 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / San Francisco
Offline
Posted 5/21/16 , edited 5/21/16
If the fans stop supporting it, it will stop.

It will probably take another financial downturn for seasons to become shorter again. You'll probably see less people at the games of they're out of work. Those tickets and stadium food are not cheap.
24265 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 5/21/16
Hasn't the NBA been 82 games + the playoffs for the longest?
46651 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M
Offline
Posted 5/21/16
I personally love that I can find a sport to watch year round. I don't really understand your point, unless you hate sports? The NBA and MLB have had the same amount of games since the 60s. The NFL has been the same since somewhere in the 70s, and I honestly don't know anything about hockey. At most I think I've heard of an 18 game season for the NFL but the players will fight that to the bitter end, too much injury risk.

Besides, there are like 5 million channels to watch so you don't have to watch sports. Even though sports and Game of Thrones are the only reasons I own a tv/pay for cable.
12331 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / In Italy for a year
Offline
Posted 5/21/16

Ronxz wrote:

I've noticed in the past few years the seasons for professional sports such as the NBA, MLB, and even the NHL are being extended further... and further... and further... The only reason the NFL hasn't been extended is because the players refused to do so after they extended the season an extra 2 games.


I hate waiting seven months to see my team kick ass, the NFL should extend the season and give two weeks of rest to the players (maybe times 3 per season) so that they can't complain
Posted 5/21/16
If you don't like sports flip the channel I like basketball Go -Warriors
19120 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/21/16
How are seasons getting longer? I watch European football and it's always the same, so someone will have to fill me in on American sports

That being said, next week Saturday is the day of the big finals. Hoping Atleti win the CL and Hull not win Championship playoffs.
14763 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/21/16 , edited 5/21/16

Ronxz wrote:Ultimately, we should just skip ahead and let the damn teams play year around since that's where we're going and I personally hate it. You have to have a DVR if you follow more than one spot. That's going to damn far. The NBA and MLB NEVER END! The NFL and NHL will get there soon enough I am sure. I swear, every time I turn the TV on they are still playing. Can't someone make it stop!?


During the 80's, entrepreneurs tried starting the USFL, a football league that would play off-season during the spring and summer, to fill in the void left by the NFL.
It struggled to find a footing, and even gained a cult following, until an even bigger buyer, not quite getting the point of the "off-season" league, bought it up pretty much just for the bragging rights of owning a football franchise at all (since he couldn't get an NFL team of his own), tried to run it during the regular fall season as a competitor to the NFL, and pretty well crushed it into the ground, where it's never been heard from since. When asked about it later, the buyer shrugged it off as another failed venture, saying it was "small potatoes anyway".

Betcha can't guess who that new buyer was. It was a hyuuuuge deal, a beautiful, beautiful thing.
1853 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Bolton, England
Offline
Posted 5/24/16
Football is always August-May. Expect the Americans (and a few others) because they're stupid.
7553 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Ark-La-Tex
Offline
Posted 5/24/16

Muur wrote:

Football is always August-May. Expect the Americans (and a few others) because they're stupid.


Irony.
31327 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Michigan
Offline
Posted 5/24/16
??? No they aren't... NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, have all had the same amount of games played per season for awhile now. So I have no idea what you're talking about or what you've been noticing the past few seasons as you say.

NBA - 82 games
NFL - 16 games
MLB - 162 games
NHL - 82 games
19120 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/25/16

Falcon132 wrote:

??? No they aren't... NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, have all had the same amount of games played per season for awhile now. So I have no idea what you're talking about or what you've been noticing the past few seasons as you say.

NBA - 82 games
NFL - 16 games
MLB - 162 games
NHL - 82 games


Holy shit how does that work? That's like a game every other day.
31327 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Michigan
Offline
Posted 5/25/16 , edited 5/25/16

bobland wrote:


Falcon132 wrote:

??? No they aren't... NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, have all had the same amount of games played per season for awhile now. So I have no idea what you're talking about or what you've been noticing the past few seasons as you say.

NBA - 82 games
NFL - 16 games
MLB - 162 games
NHL - 82 games


Holy shit how does that work? That's like a game every other day.


Yup they pretty much play everyday with the only time off is when traveling to the next location. They typically play a 3 to 4 game series when they play a team so they aren't flying to a different city every day though. Sometimes they even have double headers where they will play 2 games in 1 day, those are rare.

19120 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/25/16

Falcon132 wrote:


bobland wrote:


Falcon132 wrote:

??? No they aren't... NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, have all had the same amount of games played per season for awhile now. So I have no idea what you're talking about or what you've been noticing the past few seasons as you say.

NBA - 82 games
NFL - 16 games
MLB - 162 games
NHL - 82 games


Holy shit how does that work? That's like a game every other day.


Yup they pretty much play everyday with the only time off is when traveling to the next location. They typically play a 3 to 4 game series when they play a team so they aren't flying to a different city every day though. Sometimes they even have double headers where they will play 2 games in 1 day, those are rare.



and how much are tickets? Surely they can't be too expensive, or else they price out their fans.
Posted 5/25/16

ck1west wrote:

If you don't like sports flip the channel I like basketball Go -Warriors


...

First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.