First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply Need either some military science-fiction books, manga, and/or anime
42489 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 5/21/16
Let me know if a thread like this one exist or not.
Thanks a bunches.

I'm writing(well trying) a military science-fiction novel and I need help. Can anyone recommend me some books, manga, and/or anime that I can use as some sort of reference?

Enjoy!!!
12712 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 5/21/16 , edited 5/21/16
Crest of the Stars / Banner of the Stars
Starship Operators
The Gundam universe
The Macross universe (or Robotech if that is your thing...)

Are you just wanting Japanese-based stories? There are some good western sci-fi stories with a military theme.
42489 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 5/21/16

MidoriNoTora wrote:

Crest of the Stars / Banner of the Stars
Starship Operators
The Gundam universe
The Macross universe (or Robotech if that is your thing...)

Are you just wanting Japanese-based stories? There are some good western sci-fi stories with a military theme.


Give me both Japanese and western.
10643 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Rabbit Horse
Online
Posted 5/21/16
does series like sabagebu!, Girls und Pants and kancolle counts..?
they have military element in it :p
42489 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 5/21/16

namealreadytaken wrote:

does series like sabagebu!, Girls und Pants and kancolle counts..?
they have military element in it :p


Yeah but those are cutesy. I want something that isn't cutesy, sorry.
10643 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Rabbit Horse
Online
Posted 5/21/16
ah ok. there's the series that all anime elitists recommend: Legend of the Galactic Heroes.
never actually seen it, but it's about two powers engaging in war in space. might be worth considering.
42489 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 5/21/16

namealreadytaken wrote:

ah ok. there's the series that all anime elitists recommend: Legend of the Galactic Heroes.
never actually seen it, but it's about two powers engaging in war in space. might be worth considering.


I'll watch the cutesy stuff and LOGH.

Got any stories or manga to recommend.
10643 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Rabbit Horse
Online
Posted 5/21/16

qualeshia3 wrote:


namealreadytaken wrote:

ah ok. there's the series that all anime elitists recommend: Legend of the Galactic Heroes.
never actually seen it, but it's about two powers engaging in war in space. might be worth considering.


I'll watch the cutesy stuff and LOGH.

Got any stories or manga to recommend.


i'm not really a fan of military series (as you probably guessed), so nope, sorry.
there is this work about military warfare which is supposedly a masterpiece:
The Art of War - by Sun Tzu. it's a bit old, but it should be very useful.
7431 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
48 / M / New England, USA
Offline
Posted 5/21/16
Starship Troopers (Anime/CGI Cartoon/Books)
Armored Trooper Votoms Series (Anime/Manga)
Appleseed (Anime/Manga/Upcoming Live-action Movie)
Dominion Tank Police (Anime/Manga)
Argevollen (Anime/Manga)
Aldnoah.zero (Anime/Manga)
Space Battleship Yamato Series (Starblazers) (Anime/Manga/Live-action Movie)
Gate (Anime/Manga)
Irresponsible Captain Tylor (Anime/Manga)
Princess and the Pilot/The Pilots' Love Song (Anime/Light Novels/Manga)
Patabor Series (Anime/Manga)
Line Barrels of Iron (Anime/Manga)
Valvrave the Liberator (Anime/Manga)
Buddy Complex (Anime/Manga)
Pumpkin Scissors (Anime/Manga)
Soranowato: Sound of the Sky (Anime/Manga)
Strike Witches (Anime/Manga)
Soul Link (Anime/Manga)
Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet (Anime/Manga)

I know there are lots more I'm just drawing a blank at the moment.

42489 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 5/21/16

neugenx wrote:

Starship Troopers (Anime/CGI Cartoon/Books)
Armored Trooper Votoms Series (Anime/Manga)
Appleseed (Anime/Manga/Upcoming Live-action Movie)
Dominion Tank Police (Anime/Manga)
Argevollen (Anime/Manga)
Aldnoah.zero (Anime/Manga)
Space Battleship Yamato Series (Starblazers) (Anime/Manga/Live-action Movie)
Gate (Anime/Manga)
Irresponsible Captain Tylor (Anime/Manga)
Princess and the Pilot/The Pilots' Love Song (Anime/Light Novels/Manga)
Patabor Series (Anime/Manga)
Line Barrels of Iron (Anime/Manga)
Valvrave the Liberator (Anime/Manga)
Buddy Complex (Anime/Manga)
Pumpkin Scissors (Anime/Manga)
Soranowato: Sound of the Sky (Anime/Manga)
Strike Witches (Anime/Manga)
Soul Link (Anime/Manga)
Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet (Anime/Manga)

I know there are lots more I'm just drawing a blank at the moment.




What about books? Preferably western books.
42489 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 5/21/16 , edited 5/21/16

namealreadytaken wrote:


qualeshia3 wrote:


namealreadytaken wrote:

ah ok. there's the series that all anime elitists recommend: Legend of the Galactic Heroes.
never actually seen it, but it's about two powers engaging in war in space. might be worth considering.


I'll watch the cutesy stuff and LOGH.

Got any stories or manga to recommend.


i'm not really a fan of military series (as you probably guessed), so nope, sorry.
there is this work about military warfare which is supposedly a masterpiece:
The Art of War - by Sun Tzu. it's a bit old, but it should be very useful.


Thanks.
10643 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Rabbit Horse
Online
Posted 5/21/16 , edited 5/21/16
maybe Grave of the Fireflies as a depiction of effects of war to a regular citizen? :p
it's a well-known movie amonf anime fans, so maybe you already watched it...
edit: though the movie will be biased to one side of WW2
7431 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
48 / M / New England, USA
Offline
Posted 5/21/16 , edited 5/21/16

qualeshia3 wrote:


neugenx wrote:

Starship Troopers (Anime/CGI Cartoon/Books)
Armored Trooper Votoms Series (Anime/Manga)
Appleseed (Anime/Manga/Upcoming Live-action Movie)
Dominion Tank Police (Anime/Manga)
Argevollen (Anime/Manga)
Aldnoah.zero (Anime/Manga)
Space Battleship Yamato Series (Starblazers) (Anime/Manga/Live-action Movie)
Gate (Anime/Manga)
Irresponsible Captain Tylor (Anime/Manga)
Princess and the Pilot/The Pilots' Love Song (Anime/Light Novels/Manga)
Patabor Series (Anime/Manga)
Line Barrels of Iron (Anime/Manga)
Valvrave the Liberator (Anime/Manga)
Buddy Complex (Anime/Manga)
Pumpkin Scissors (Anime/Manga)
Soranowato: Sound of the Sky (Anime/Manga)
Strike Witches (Anime/Manga)
Soul Link (Anime/Manga)
Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet (Anime/Manga)

I know there are lots more I'm just drawing a blank at the moment.




What about books? Preferably western books.


When it comes to western books, horror/thriller, High fantasy, pulp hero, mystery/suspense and TV crossovers are pretty much my genres of choice (except for the classics like Bradbury, Heinlein, Wells, etc). I'm afraid I'm very limited when it comes to Scifi, cowboy/western, comedy, drama, romance and war when it comes to western novels.
mnmike 
20137 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 5/21/16

qualeshia3 wrote:


neugenx wrote:

Starship Troopers (Anime/CGI Cartoon/Books)
Armored Trooper Votoms Series (Anime/Manga)
Appleseed (Anime/Manga/Upcoming Live-action Movie)
Dominion Tank Police (Anime/Manga)
Argevollen (Anime/Manga)
Aldnoah.zero (Anime/Manga)
Space Battleship Yamato Series (Starblazers) (Anime/Manga/Live-action Movie)
Gate (Anime/Manga)
Irresponsible Captain Tylor (Anime/Manga)
Princess and the Pilot/The Pilots' Love Song (Anime/Light Novels/Manga)
Patabor Series (Anime/Manga)
Line Barrels of Iron (Anime/Manga)
Valvrave the Liberator (Anime/Manga)
Buddy Complex (Anime/Manga)
Pumpkin Scissors (Anime/Manga)
Soranowato: Sound of the Sky (Anime/Manga)
Strike Witches (Anime/Manga)
Soul Link (Anime/Manga)
Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet (Anime/Manga)

I know there are lots more I'm just drawing a blank at the moment.




What about books? Preferably western books.


I'm not about to differentiate fantasy and sci-fi, but all of these are military fiction by good sci-fi/fantasy authors:

Robin Hobb, Soldier Son Trilogy
LE Modesit, Corean Chronicles series
Anthony Ryan, Raven's Shadow series
Oson Scott Card, Ender's Game (to a lesser extent, the Bean follow-on series has some focus on military/diplomacy)


Also, to add to neugenx's list of anime/manga properties:

Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood (manga --> anime)
Full Metal Panic! (LN --> manga, anime)
Valkyria Chronicles (video game -> anime)
42489 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 5/21/16



Thanks.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.