Post Reply Writing a fictional language?
42489 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 5/23/16
Let me know if a thread like this one exist or not.
Thanks a bunches.


Is writing the language backwards or purposely misspelling the words a good way to create a language? For example:

I like pie.

I change it to; eip ekil I or pei lkie I

or

I went to visit my mother Nancy

I change it to ; Ycnan rehtom ym tisiv ot tnew I or I wnet ot viist ym mthoer Nnacy

or

Hola como estas(my Spanish isn't so great. Sorry)

I change it to; Aolh omoc satse or Hlao cmoo etsas


Can I use it this way? Let me know!

Enjoy!!!
1268 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
15 / M / Poland
Online
Posted 5/23/16
I love drinking cold juice

Eciuj dloc gniknird evol I.
15947 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / Cold and High
Offline
Posted 5/23/16
Not really.. some do it after mental problems and some of those things they create can be quite nice like from Lord of the Rings.
Else doing it so its quite "reconized by looking at it" isn't much fun or challange.
13151 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 5/23/16
Depends on the context. If you just have kids who made up a secret language to pass notes to each other, you could do something like that. However, if this is supposed to be something like Klingon or the Elvish languages in LotR, you need to put a ton of work into it if you want it to be realistic. Otherwise, I would make 20 or so characters and just mash them together in an order that looks pretty and be done with it.

42489 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 5/23/16

sundin13 wrote:

Depends on the context. If you just have kids who made up a secret language to pass notes to each other, you could do something like that. However, if this is supposed to be something like Klingon or the Elvish languages in LotR, you need to put a ton of work into it if you want it to be realistic. Otherwise, I would make 20 or so characters and just mash them together in an order that looks pretty and be done with it.



I don't want it that complex. I'm too lazy to make a language similar to Klingon or Elvish.
42489 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 5/23/16

Freddy96NO wrote:

Not really.. some do it after mental problems and some of those things they create can be quite nice like from Lord of the Rings.
Else doing it so its quite "reconized by looking at it" isn't much fun or challange.


Sorry but I'm too lazy to do it the challenging way. I don't want something complex in my story.
13151 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 5/23/16
Well first I need to ask, does it really need to be written out? Can you just narrate "they talked in a foreign language" or something like that? If you absolutely have to have a fictional language for some reason, and you don't really want to put a ton of effort into it, just make up words. However, your reader will probably know that you are typing nonsense so try to avoid it if at all possible.
15947 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / Cold and High
Offline
Posted 5/23/16 , edited 5/23/16
but atleast having some simplisity while being something that sounds or looks different but makes some sense.

You could nearly make it out of those sounds we make in words and if you say them different maybe only you or your friends would know what it means.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLFXl4noWx0

to.... (a parody of pronounce channels... for them being such a big hit a while back on YT)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuvU0bFtmh8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RalZ-nvS9Xo
42489 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 5/23/16

sundin13 wrote:

Well first I need to ask, does it really need to be written out? Can you just narrate "they talked in a foreign language" or something like that? If you absolutely have to have a fictional language for some reason, and you don't really want to put a ton of effort into it, just make up words. However, your reader will probably know that you are typing nonsense so try to avoid it if at all possible.


I plan on writing two of the same story. One with fictional language and one without a fictional language.

Both stories are written for my personal enjoyment no one is going to read it until it is complete. I think I'll make the one with the fictional language will be for me while the one with out is for everyone else.


17777 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / outer wall, level...
Offline
Posted 5/26/16
i did the same thing, i just made up words and catagorized them by how they are used. ill post it later here when i can.
its in the roman alphabet.
You must be logged in to post.