First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply Anyone had this cycle in your town.
Posted 5/24/16

tkayt wrote:


ck1west wrote:

There is always some job you can find even the internet has work I worked so many jobs to pay my way thru -college
retail, telemarket, feed store etc.. the wages back then where not anywhere near what they are today some just 6 or7 hourly so
when I hear others complain I think they are just throwing in the towel


I wouldn't be so quick to judge. Do remember that you have to have access to internet in the first place. I've heard of places where the internet connection is patchy and slow at best because no company is interested in doing the engineer work to ensure this. Even with internet connection around you still have to afford to pay for it.

There are some places like that in the UK but I'm fortunate not to live there. Where my sister lives there's lots of cheap housing and more room but finding employment is difficult so there's no point in me moving there and trying to compete with the limited education jobs. A friend told me about a place she visited. A town in the middle of nowhere, just houses, not even a local shop, doctor's office or school or community centre. I can't imagine living in such a place.

Oh in my personal experience jobs beget jobs. Once you're employed your more likely to be able to find another job. Your first stepping stone may be unpaid voluntary work but this will lead to paid work later on. Employers are more likely to notice those that don't sit around and wait for their perfect job but keep themselves active for the job market.


> Not judging giving some advice they can make a decision on own time? oh also just a note Idid not even have internet young one
when i started on my jobs yes long ago.. just FYI passing some info.
20719 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Offline
Posted 5/24/16

ck1west wrote:

There is always some job you can find even the internet has work I worked so many jobs to pay my way thru -college
retail, telemarket,, feed store etc.. the wages back then where not anywhere near what they are today some just 6 or7 hourly so
when I hear others complain I think they are just throwing in the towel


I would like to know where I can find said job because I have looked everywhere and still look today whilst I study
20719 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Offline
Posted 5/24/16

Razor_Girl wrote:


TheOriginalStraynge wrote:

Not quite the same situation here. I live in a small town so there's just not that many jobs but I've found if you put your mind to it you can always make some money and no I'm not talking about anything illegal here. There's always a lawn that needs to be mowed and if you have a computer then the whole internet is at your fingertips. I've just wheeled and dealed for years and it got me through some really rough years. Buy cheap/sell high. It's not too hard to do especially if you get to know a lot of people. Gold and silver are the easiest to do and it's better to sell them in person and avoid shipping fees. I made a killing on Ebay back n the 90's. So many idiots would put their items in the wrong places or list them wrong and I'd get em for a dollar plus shipping then resell them from anywhere from 5 to 20 dollars. I used to sell a lot of antiques that way. Super 8 camera's used to go good but not for a lot. Garage sales are another good way to make a quick buck. Visit your local dump and see what people are throwing away. I've found good TV's that way that I've sold. It might not make you a fortune but it's a heck of a lot better than sitting at home and bemoaning your fate. If you try you will succeed...eventually at any rate. If the workforce doesn't want you then screw them and carve your own path.

I've also found that I can usually find some type of job if I want to bad enough. I once worked for a lot less than minimum wage just to get my foot in the door at a bonded fiber company. It was all under the table and I basically had to beg and offer to work for cheap but it got me the job and after a couple of months they bumped me up to regular pay since I busted my butt and they decided to keep me. Not sure you could get away with that these days but there might be a few places that pay under the table out there. Report your taxes though. It's better than being audited.


I tend to agree with you. You can always find work that needs to be done, although it may not be work you want to do or enjoy doing. Due to my ex-husband's job, we moved many times often to small towns with limited jobs. It was difficult to find work, not only because we did not have a network or know anyone in town, but also because of situations where they considered me "overqualified" to work in my field because I had a Masters degree and the boss interviewing me only had an Associates degree. I took retail jobs at the local mall or worked night shift at Kinko's, I even managed a farm - none of which have much to do with the field I studied for (Computer Systems Management). I have a friend who is currently homeless and living in a shelter who has her bachelors, and refuses to take any job that she doesn't feel is in her field. There are tons of listings of jobs she is capable of doing, but she won't even consider them unless they are in a specific county and relate to her degree. Personally, I've always found it's easier to take whatever job you can find, and then apply for jobs in your field or that pay better or have better benefits.


I would take any job I can get despite being unable to do manual labour.

Problem is those jobs don't exist or are taken so quickly that you have no chance.

If you want work and are willing to do anything you won't find work atleast not where I live from my experience
You can spend years applying any where and everywhere to get nothing
14741 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 5/24/16

Ryulightorb wrote:
I'm lucky to have my parents financially supporting me as i study but if i didn't have that shit in that situation i think i would rather commit suicide


(looks at profile) 1997? Yep, that would pretty much make you Millennial...
Sogno- 
45650 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/24/16
"works full time and barely making enough to eat and pay rent"

that's me to a T

idk about anyone else in town. we have a lot of poor neighborhoods, or ghettos as we call them, and a lot of fancy neighborhoods so
20719 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Offline
Posted 5/24/16 , edited 5/24/16

Ejanss wrote:


Ryulightorb wrote:
I'm lucky to have my parents financially supporting me as i study but if i didn't have that shit in that situation i think i would rather commit suicide


(looks at profile) 1997? Yep, that would pretty much make you Millennial...


Funny thing is this is a problem with most Millennial people i have heard and it's not just me.

Honestly i think i would happily sell my blood at this point.

Hard work seems to get you no where but gotta keep on trying
Posted 5/24/16

Ryulightorb wrote:


Ejanss wrote:


Ryulightorb wrote:
I'm lucky to have my parents financially supporting me as i study but if i didn't have that shit in that situation i think i would rather commit suicide


(looks at profile) 1997? Yep, that would pretty much make you Millennial...


Funny thing is this is a problem with most Millennial people i have heard and it's not just me.

Honestly i think i would happily sell my blood at this point.

Hard work seems to get you no where but gotta keep on trying


I think this is the worst advice I can give to somebody but fuck it.
I think you should seriously consider moving somewhere else.
Fertil ground is better than staying on unfertile one.
That what I doing to fix my situation anyway.
37140 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/24/16 , edited 5/24/16
Luckily my area has always had jobs available. Not always glamorous but you can at least get service jobs any time you want. I've never had a problem finding work. If everything dried up I would pack up and move somewhere else. That's where having an emergency fund comes in handy. I always have enough cash stashed away to get a place and live for at least 3 months without work.
20719 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Offline
Posted 5/24/16

KarenAraragi wrote:


Ryulightorb wrote:


Ejanss wrote:


Ryulightorb wrote:
I'm lucky to have my parents financially supporting me as i study but if i didn't have that shit in that situation i think i would rather commit suicide


(looks at profile) 1997? Yep, that would pretty much make you Millennial...


Funny thing is this is a problem with most Millennial people i have heard and it's not just me.

Honestly i think i would happily sell my blood at this point.

Hard work seems to get you no where but gotta keep on trying


I think this is the worst advice I can give to somebody but fuck it.
I think you should seriously consider moving somewhere else.
Fertil ground is better than staying on unfertile one.
That what I doing to fix my situation anyway.


Nah that's good advice in trying to get my parents to support me to move towns to one close by where I can get a job since atm I live in a farming town
28200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/24/16 , edited 5/24/16
And thus is the conflicting narrative that drives a lot of politics at the moment. On one hand you have people stuck in areas with economies where there just are not jobs to be had. Where "hard work" gets you no where. On the other hand, you have these pull yourself up by your bootstraps types convinced that everything is peachy and these young folk are just lazy and won't do hard work.

You can't solve decades of systematic poverty and economic decline by telling people to stop being lazy.




Rujikin wrote:
thats what happens when all your factories pack up and leave. We need to tarrif the shit out of china and other countries that play unfairly


And what would that accomplish? The kind of manufacturing jobs older Americans want are simply never, ever coming back. Its just not going to happen. In addition to moving manufacturing overseas, some of the industries have changed or simply don't exist anymore.

America can't host up the beacon of capitalism and the free market then complain when someone beats them at their own game. Imposing tariffs will only hurt the general public. Who will bare an increased cost of goods. While likewise risking a trade war. Because you can sure as fuck bet China will impose retaliatory tariffs.

China is your second largest trading partner after Canada. Starting a trade war with them would be pretty foolish. Especially given that most of what they import is machinery and related components. Which are still being made in the US. So you'd be kicking your remaining industrial manufacturing industries in the balls. Cutting off your nose to spite your face as it were.

Plus, on the flip side, China's imports from the US are going to keep growing as more Chinese people have more money. Leading to an increasing market for importing luxury items. Which is already happening.




Posted 5/24/16

Ryulightorb wrote:

I'm lucky to have my parents financially supporting me as i study but if i didn't have that shit in that situation i think i would rather commit suicide



Me too ^
16739 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Hoosierville
Offline
Posted 5/24/16

runec wrote:

And thus is the conflicting narrative that drives a lot of politics at the moment. On one hand you have people stuck in areas with economies where there just are not jobs to be had. Where "hard work" gets you no where. On the other hand, you have these pull yourself up by your bootstraps types convinced that everything is peachy and these young folk are just lazy and won't do hard work.

You can't solve decades of systematic poverty and economic decline by telling people to stop being lazy.




Rujikin wrote:
thats what happens when all your factories pack up and leave. We need to tarrif the shit out of china and other countries that play unfairly


And what would that accomplish? The kind of manufacturing jobs older Americans want are simply never, ever coming back. Its just not going to happen. In addition to moving manufacturing overseas, some of the industries have changed or simply don't exist anymore.

America can't host up the beacon of capitalism and the free market then complain when someone beats them at their own game. Imposing tariffs will only hurt the general public. Who will bare an increased cost of goods. While likewise risking a trade war. Because you can sure as fuck bet China will impose retaliatory tariffs.

China is your second largest trading partner after Canada. Starting a trade war with them would be pretty foolish. Especially given that most of what they import is machinery and related components. Which are still being made in the US. So you'd be kicking your remaining industrial manufacturing industries in the balls. Cutting off your nose to spite your face as it were.

Plus, on the flip side, China's imports from the US are going to keep growing as more Chinese people have more money. Leading to an increasing market for importing luxury items. Which is already happening.






Free markets only work with other free markets. The Chinese are not a free market they are a weird form of state controlled capitalism. They produce certain goods at a loss for decades just to kill off foreign competition then keep it artificially low to control an industry(See rare earths). They are playing our systems weaknesses and winning because people don't have the balls to stand up to them and stop it.

Our goods are artifically low anyways. They will just return to normal pricing not being lowered due to slave labor, lack of any environmental controls, and decent wages. I for one welcome a trade war with China. The USA only stands to benefit from it while China will have a collapse of their industry and internal turmoil. Then we can reopen our factories and do something about our horrible unemployment rate. If a trade war does happen the Chinese will be forced to sell their people their own goods and then the cost of everything in China will change and normalize.

Add a tariff for environmental costs, add one for lack of safety, add one for slave labor, add one for workmans comp. Any Chinese company that meets our standards has no additional tariff added. Any that doens't meet our standards has the tariffs added. It will give our companies and other companies that play fairly a level playing field. Ones that exploit their people will be completely screwed. All China has to do is play fairly and they can avoid such tariffs.

The Chinese government has been manipulating their currency to try to avoid/stop that. Its not working as well as they had hoped but they are managing to keep the brakes on it.
28200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/25/16 , edited 5/25/16

Rujikin wrote:
Free markets only work with other free markets. The Chinese are not a free market they are a weird form of state controlled capitalism. They produce certain goods at a loss for decades just to kill off foreign competition then keep it artificially low to control an industry(See rare earths). They are playing our systems weaknesses and winning because people don't have the balls to stand up to them and stop it.


They are dicks about rare earth metals. But throttling production to increase demand is a time honoured tradition and not unique to China.



Rujikin wrote:Our goods are artifically low anyways. They will just return to normal pricing not being lowered due to slave labor, lack of any environmental controls, and decent wages. I for one welcome a trade war with China. The USA only stands to benefit from it while China will have a collapse of their industry and internal turmoil. Then we can reopen our factories and do something about our horrible unemployment rate. If a trade war does happen the Chinese will be forced to sell their people their own goods and then the cost of everything in China will change and normalize.


If goods rise to the cost to produce them in the US you will need some serious, serious wage hikes for people to be able to afford them. China meanwhile has more customers than just you. The EU is a larger importer of Chinese goods than you are. Plus China imports electronic components from the EU and Japan as well to make your smartphones and what not as well. So you'll have definitely have a ripple effect that hurts other markets and pressure from them to stop dicking around.

No one is reopening a factory in the US. American companies will just move to the next country over that has cheap labour and manufacturing costs ( India, Bangladesh, Indonesia, etc ). Meanwhile China will backlash against goods it imports from you. Which, again, are mostly industrial machinery. So you'll hurt what industrial manufacturing you still have. And thats before you even get into raw materials you import from China for your domestic manufacturing.

Again, those jobs are never, ever coming back to the US. Nor did China even actually take them in the first place.



Rujikin wrote:
Add a tariff for environmental costs, add one for lack of safety, add one for slave labor, add one for workmans comp. Any Chinese company that meets our standards has no additional tariff added. Any that doens't meet our standards has the tariffs added. It will give our companies and other companies that play fairly a level playing field. Ones that exploit their people will be completely screwed. All China has to do is play fairly and they can avoid such tariffs.


They're not going to give up cost effective manufacturing because you tariff'd one country and you can't go around starting a trade war with each new country they move manufacturing too. Not only would you be causing economic turmoil both at home and abroad but you'll get retaliatory tariffs from each country you screw with. Plus possible sanctions from other countries for crossing the WTO.


19572 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / missouri
Offline
Posted 5/25/16 , edited 5/25/16
One of the major problems is that rent is so high and wages haven't increased a whole lot. I blame the housing industry and home owners for always expecting there land and home values to rise. If the cost of housing increases exponetialy in comparison to income there is less left for other things.
Posted 5/25/16

jujitsu213 wrote:

One of the major problems is that rent is so high and wages haven't increased a whole lot. I blame the housing industry and home owners for always expecting there land and home values to rise. If the cost of housing increases exponetialy in comparison to income there is less left for other things.


^ finally someone else said it I agree. >The cost of housing has driven many away and hell even a few to the streets.
wages are no where near math to cost of housing.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.