First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply Why do people enjoy Hunter x Hunter so much?
198 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / The Great White N...
Offline
Posted 5/29/16
Let me start by saying I do not mind watching the series. I checked it out not too long ago because of how many people kept saying it was amazing and that it was a good replacement if you liked the authors other work Yu Yu Hakusho. But, I am currently on Episode 16 of Hunter x Hunter, and although it is entertaining, I'm finding maybe only the occasional thing has made me laugh so far and the Characters for the most part don't feel as interesting as everyone was leading me to think they were going to be.

What is it about the series that everyone seems to be praising, does it get better as the story arcs go on? Because so far this first story arc is dull (Them passing the Hunter Exam), I'm feeling it is dragging on way too long and most of the characters which looked semi-interesting never really got expanded upon before they were kicked out of the exam or just don't get enough screen time.
23493 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/29/16
Wait to the York shin ark.
7802 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 5/29/16
Well, if you're watching it because of hype, then just keep on watching. For me, the slow and steady build-up of the story, characters, and the detailed setting was what pulled me in. If you don't find it boring, there should be no problem to get an episode in here and there.
13061 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 5/29/16
After the hunter exam each arc doubles down on showing you how expansive and dark this world can be. I thought it was interesting because of the main characters. If you felt like it dragged on It may just not be for you. Since you pushed through I will say I believe it grows in quality at a quick pace.
Posted 5/29/16 , edited 5/29/16

SDtheElf wrote:

Let me start by saying I do not mind watching the series. I checked it out not too long ago because of how many people kept saying it was amazing and that it was a good replacement if you liked the authors other work Yu Yu Hakusho. But, I am currently on Episode 16 of Hunter x Hunter, and although it is entertaining, I'm finding maybe only the occasional thing has made me laugh so far and the Characters for the most part don't feel as interesting as everyone was leading me to think they were going to be.

What is it about the series that everyone seems to be praising, does it get better as the story arcs go on? Because so far this first story arc is dull (Them passing the Hunter Exam), I'm feeling it is dragging on way too long and most of the characters which looked semi-interesting never really got expanded upon before they were kicked out of the exam or just don't get enough screen time.


Dude You have not idea how dark is going to get? I am assuming you when blind into the series haven't you? All I am going to say is this, keep watching and you will be rewarded sooner or later.
Posted 5/29/16 , edited 5/29/16
It doesn't get addictive until episode 40 or 50. After that, you'll grow attached to the characters and story.
At the beginning, it seems like some sort of Pokémon adventure. But watch until later, it gets darker and philosophical.

One of the episodes near the end of the series will have you pulling at your heartstrings.
198 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / The Great White N...
Offline
Posted 5/29/16

KarenAraragi wrote:


SDtheElf wrote:

Let me start by saying I do not mind watching the series. I checked it out not too long ago because of how many people kept saying it was amazing and that it was a good replacement if you liked the authors other work Yu Yu Hakusho. But, I am currently on Episode 16 of Hunter x Hunter, and although it is entertaining, I'm finding maybe only the occasional thing has made me laugh so far and the Characters for the most part don't feel as interesting as everyone was leading me to think they were going to be.

What is it about the series that everyone seems to be praising, does it get better as the story arcs go on? Because so far this first story arc is dull (Them passing the Hunter Exam), I'm feeling it is dragging on way too long and most of the characters which looked semi-interesting never really got expanded upon before they were kicked out of the exam or just don't get enough screen time.


Dude You have not idea how dark is going to get? I am assuming you when blind into the series haven't you? All I am going to say is this, keep watching and you will be rewarded sooner or later.


Yeah, I went in blind to the series. No real information other then "It's a good replacement for Yu Yu Hakusho". So I kinda was expecting it to be along the same tone as that series, probably why the early Arc here is boring me as it lacks a lot of the humor from Yu Yu. But, yeah I will stick with the series, watch the occasional episode here or there till I can get to the good part.
2430 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 5/29/16 , edited 5/29/16
In the 2011 version, the early episodes and Hunter Exam Arc felt a little rushed. This is coming from someone who watched 1999 version. It may be a bit late now, but I would have recommended watching the 1999 version up until the end of the Hunter Exam Arc, then switch to 2011. The 1999 Hunter Exam episodes gave a deeper insight into the main and side characters. Though be warned that the 1999 version is slower paced that 2011.

As others have said, the series really takes off during the Yorknew City Arc. The previous arcs give hints upon the depths of the world, but it is in Yorknew that those layers really start to show.

Speaking of Yu Yu Hakusho, I don't think it would be good to think of Hunter X Hunter as a replacement. For one, humor/comedy was a very strong aspect of Yu Yu Hakusho. While there are some funny parts, Hunter X Hunter leans a lot more toward the serious side.
34033 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Online
Posted 5/30/16

SDtheElf wrote:

Let me start by saying I do not mind watching the series. I checked it out not too long ago because of how many people kept saying it was amazing and that it was a good replacement if you liked the authors other work Yu Yu Hakusho. But, I am currently on Episode 16 of Hunter x Hunter, and although it is entertaining, I'm finding maybe only the occasional thing has made me laugh so far and the Characters for the most part don't feel as interesting as everyone was leading me to think they were going to be.

What is it about the series that everyone seems to be praising, does it get better as the story arcs go on? Because so far this first story arc is dull (Them passing the Hunter Exam), I'm feeling it is dragging on way too long and most of the characters which looked semi-interesting never really got expanded upon before they were kicked out of the exam or just don't get enough screen time.


It doesn't really get any better. Though I'm pretty sure the reason people like it is because stuff like blowing things up, people getting eaten, and a lot of other killing off characters who don't matter starts happening. And yeah, the characters are pretty simple and most oof them don't get any development or anything. l. Don't expect to see any of them ever get expanded on either (save for like Gon and Killua). There are a lot of pointless characters. And as I said before this show loves to kill them off.

If you think it's dragging now though, just you wait. Chimera Ant arc goes on forever. If you're not interested in it at this point though, then just drop it. I say this because I pretty much had the exact same feelings about it as you when I was at where you are now. My opinion of it only decreased as the show went on. It'll probably be fine if you tend to like the kind of show it is. (i.e. typical battle shounen).
27451 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / USA! USA! USA!
Offline
Posted 5/30/16
Because they're fucking shotacons.


Clown Bro is the viewer self insert.
85860 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/30/16
Posted 5/30/16
Actually, I still couldn't get into it.

I will re-try again someday.
61518 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/30/16

stars201 wrote:
Actually, I still couldn't get into it.

I will re-try again someday.

if you can't get into it, just don't bother, might not be for you.

personally, I feel that if you have to wade through a point where you don't enjoy a series to get to the so called "enjoyable" parts, it's really not worth it. especially when people say things like "yea, it takes about 50 episodes, but then it gets really good!".. that's 50 episodes of something else you could be watching and enjoying. it just isn't worth it.
7057 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Costa Rica
Offline
Posted 5/30/16 , edited 6/2/16
I'm pretty sure we all felt the same way at the beginning of the show, when I started watching it I was wondering when was the show going to get really good because the Hunter Exam arc is a common story in many shonen and it doesn't do anything different or worthy of mention.

I respect everybody's opinions but I don't agree with what the user dwilson2000 said regarding the reasons as to why we love Hunter X Hunter. His reasons make the show sound like a mindless shonen when it's the total opposite; Hunter X Hunter is the smartest shonen there is right now and it's not your typical shonen at all. No random power-ups, no battle is won by the power of friendship and the relationship between Gon and Killua is by far the best one I've seen for a pair of friends in anime.

I agree that there are many characters that don't add anything to the story, but the ones that do are really good. The main villain in the Chimera Ant arc is one of the best written I've seen in any anime. Hunter X Hunter gets really good in the York Shin arc, which is the third one, but before that there is a really intense battle in the second arc that I'm sure you're going to like. Just try to watch it all the way through, it gets a while to get invested but when it happens it becomes a joy to watch the show. If you don't like it then feel free to drop it.
1250 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 5/31/16
Not much to say that hasn't been said already, but I felt almost obligated since it's my favorite series.
There are some really great characters in HxH (Kurapika being my personal favorite).
The writing is top notch and refreshing for a shonen.
I think if nothing else, try to at least make it to the chimera ant arc. It seems to be a very polarizing arc - many people disliked it, but I think the majority loved it. Personally, I think that arc is one of the best stories I've ever seen unfold, in any medium. I felt so many different emotions throughout the course of that arc. The Chimera Ant King is not only one of the best written villains in shonen, but also one of the best written characters in general.

If you really aren't enjoying it as you say, then feel free to drop it. I just felt like I had to toss my opinion out there.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.