First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Post Reply Explain the reason why men like anime more than women
84 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Finland
Offline
Posted 5/31/16
I think gender ratio is currently quite equal.

But I know quite lot woman who is into anime. And actually we have talked about this and here is some points what I remember

-Protagonist is usually male (not bad but usually for female watcher it's harder to put himself to protagonist shoes).
-Many series got Harem (Well same as upper)
-And Fan Service (Ok I hate this too).

This wont apply on every female watcher who is watching anime but those 3 points was something what my friends said was annoying at start but they have gotten used to it already.

And well on next month I go again Desucon (anime expo in finland) where I have noticed is more female than males.
2508 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
42 / M
Offline
Posted 5/31/16

Hairbelly wrote:


jaxzar13 wrote:

Explain the reason why men like anime more than women.




This. Lol. Actually I think there are a lot of women fans of anime too. A lot of anime tends to target men or teenage boys over women but there are also shows that target girls/women not to mention anime's that just try to target everyone by telling a good story that anyone can relate to. I am really not even sure if more men like anime than women because I see a lot of women out there who are huge fans. Maybe we need some type of global survey to figure out the exact numbers but I think a lot of people would be surprised at how many female fans are out there.

2336 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / F / Metairie//Louisia...
Offline
Posted 5/31/16
I feel like its a matter of who talks about it more and etc. I have a fair amount of anime lovers in my class and the men talk about it too much while the women kinda lay back. I dont talk about it unless someone confronts me about it
42274 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/31/16 , edited 5/31/16

Blackbutler3000 wrote:

I feel like its a matter of who talks about it more and etc. I have a fair amount of anime lovers in my class and the men talk about it too much while the women kinda lay back. I dont talk about it unless someone confronts me about it


This pretty much. It's like gaming. LOTS of women are gamers but don't talk about it nearly as much as men for whatever reason. *cough*gamergate*cough* So it may seem like there aren't a lot of female anime fans when there in fact quite a few.
2656 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / England
Offline
Posted 5/31/16

AbsoluteDestinyApocalypse wrote:

Definitely a personality thing. I wasn't trying to say all women dislike AoT or that they like Utena. I was just trying to express that you may be watching content that proportionally appeals less to the female audience so they make up a smaller proportion of the audience for that particular anime. This seems common for Shonen but it's not a hard and fast rule, it's definitely about social circles and influence.


Ahhh I see your point now! Thanks for explaining. I'm not the target group for things like Utena anyway, as I have a penchant for the macabre. I'm also funny about the artwork of Anime, so that is a personal factor for me... I tend to prefer characters with less exaggerated features and in my experience a lot of the (certainly fantasy) anime aimed at girls involves elaborate hair, costumes, ridiculously over sized eyes and a shed load of pink - all of which jars with me.

I still think that the biggest factor in why there seem to be less female anime fans is a social thing, at least in the west. Like gaming. Maybe there ARE actually less of us because of that. Who knows!


32714 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 5/31/16
I don't know if the conclusion in the title is even true but if it is............

Then I guess men are more attracted to THINGS THAT MOVE like moving pictures of stuff

Plus things that jiggle
42274 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/31/16

DazaiShinju wrote:
Maybe there ARE actually less of us because of that. Who knows!


If the few anime conventions I've been to are any indication the number of male and female anime fans appear roughly equal.
2656 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / England
Offline
Posted 5/31/16

domvina wrote:


DazaiShinju wrote:
Maybe there ARE actually less of us because of that. Who knows!


If the few anime conventions I've been to are any indication the number of male and female anime fans appear roughly equal.


I've never been to anything like that! I definitely know more female anime fans than I do male, but again I don't tend to talk about it IRL or attend anything like a convention so I didn't like to make assumptions!
139 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / sao rn but ima ho...
Offline
Posted 5/31/16
well ig beause we dont show our emotional feelings that much but when you watch a good anime or read a manga and you wanna try to relate you because the one that know you in reality wont be there to judge so we can get emotional if we want to ig n girls are a unsolvable puzzle and wont be shamed and scolded for crying in public or around close friends i mean thats if you can watch a good anime most guys really are looking for the Harem and Ecchi and borderline Hentai lmao but then there are some who perfer both romance comedy blood and gore but still want at least a little bit of panty shots lmao idk im just trying to relate to ur qeustion
37211 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Bellingham WA, USA
Offline
Posted 5/31/16 , edited 5/31/16
I don't know, I think it's kind of regional. I've known significantly more female anime fans IRL around than I do males. And when I go to our local anime store in the mall it is almost exclusively catered towards the female demographic, with female shoppers.

I know that the male otaku is a pretty big thing in Japan itself, but I'm not so sure that things don't even out a bit more when you look at the world wide demographics.
13610 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 5/31/16
wasnt there a survey of japan's m/f viewer ratio?

it dont seem that male dominated to me, some "action" anime have more female fans according to it
789 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 5/31/16
I think it's due to more guys willing to be be more open about liking anime than women in general regardless of genre. I feel like the m/f ratio for anime is about 60/40, though from what I've experienced there are a little more casual female anime fans than casual male fans. I think the one of the many reasons that women don't outnumber men in anime is that there are far more "core" anime fans that are guys than girls. The "core" fans also happens to be where the majority of the anime fanbase seems to be here in then west.

As for conventions, I don't think its a fair representation since they use more female cosplayers than men to attract both male and female audiences who usually wouldn't attend to go in check it out. What I know from the people who've gone to conventions is that there tends to be far more female cosplayers than male, though some of those women know little to nothing about who they're cosplaying as. I could be wrong about this all but that's just my take on the question.
1335 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 5/31/16

Amatrelan wrote:

I think gender ratio is currently quite equal.

But I know quite lot woman who is into anime. And actually we have talked about this and here is some points what I remember

-Protagonist is usually male (not bad but usually for female watcher it's harder to put himself to protagonist shoes).
-Many series got Harem (Well same as upper)
-And Fan Service (Ok I hate this too).

This wont apply on every female watcher who is watching anime but those 3 points was something what my friends said was annoying at start but they have gotten used to it already.

And well on next month I go again Desucon (anime expo in finland) where I have noticed is more female than males.


Probably why Fairy Tale is so popular. It literally has someone for everyone, lol.

Game of Thrones, too, although not anime. Same concept of epic-style series of throwing in all sorts of people and the kitchen sink,too.
198 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / The Great White N...
Offline
Posted 6/2/16
Generally most of the popular series are directed at a Male audiance so finding an entrance series is probably a little harder for women over men.

That being said, most of the women I am friends with love anime and don't mind fan service in the slightest. Like, they are some of the biggest perverts I know if I am being 100% honest. So they are into a lot of the same series I get into.


All that being said, for me the main reason I am watching anime over western shows is because of all the aspects that never happen in Western shows. All the different ideas that the series have and such. How a lot of these series would never be thought of here and how open about sexuality and such a lot of these series can be. I would much rather have a little bit of sexuality in my shows then having torture and such after all. (Which a lot of Western shows have, generally some instance of blood and gore will happen quite often in Western shows and I just don't like it.)

Oh, and also cute things. There are a lot more things in Anime which make me go "Awwww!!! Its so cute!!!!" compared to most of the western series I have seen over the years.
92 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / Florida
Offline
Posted 6/2/16
Because anime is inherently hostile towards women. Grab any random series, and it's pretty likely that the female characters will be utter trash. Of course, that doesn't apply to all anime. There are a lot of anime that have wonderful female characters who are treated as human beings, but just looking through Crunchyroll's current streaming list, I'm seeing about three light novel-based harems centered around a wet-noodle protagonist playing magical footsie with a bunch of titty wizards or whatever those series are about. That's just this season.

You asked for an answer other than fanservice, but that's what it boils down to, in my opinion. But it's not just the fact that women in anime show off a lot of skin or whatever, it's also the fact that they're so, so awful. All of the common "types" of women in anime, like tsunderes or the demure Japanese maiden are sexist archetypes that only exist to fulfill the sexual and romantic fantasies of the men who these shows are created for. Even shoujo shows, which are explicitly made for girls, aren't really about the girls who are supposedly the protagonists. These characters are often shy and awkward, which I'm sure a lot of girls can relate to, but they're made so ridiculously pure that their experience cease to ring true to real girls. Girls aren't portrayed realistically in anime because the people who write this shit know that men don't like real girls, they like fantasy girls who can be made to cater to whatever fetish or fantasy the viewers want to see. When women see this happening, it automatically tells them that anime is a boy's club, that it's not meant for them. I enjoy a lot of anime, and I know a lot of other girls and women who enjoy it too, but we know it's not really for us. We have to make ourselves ignore the glaring sexism in anime in order for us to enjoy it.

Which is why I'm frankly really excited to see this sudden increase in the so-called "fujoshi-bait" shows, which have noticeable homoerotic overtones or undertones. Not just because I enjoy it, but because it shows that writers are starting to take notice of what women enjoy watching. And, of course, it's hilarious to see men getting angry over so many fujoshi-baits, because I'm just sitting here laughing like, bitch, you got twenty billion titty shows to fap over, quite your whining.

Also, how do you know there are more men than women who enjoy anime in the first place? Where are you getting your statistics? There are A LOT of women who enjoy anime. A LOOOOT. Seriously, so many.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.