Post Reply Two Families, One Novel
42532 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 6/1/16
Let me know if a thread like this one exist or not.
Thanks a bunches.


So, I'm writing a novel about two families. I was just wondering, is two families too many main characters? I thought about listing each character by chapter the way it's done in A Game of Thrones. So is two families as the main characters too much or just fine?


Enjoy!!!
20813 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / California
Online
Posted 6/1/16
You don't have to have every member of each family be a main character, if it's too many for you to focus on you should probably stick with selecting a few members from each family as the main focus and have all the rest be a secondary focus.
42532 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 6/1/16

Iberjib wrote:

You don't have to have every member of each family be a main character, if it's too many for you to focus on you should probably stick with selecting a few members from each family as the main focus and have all the rest be a secondary focus.


I'm going to try to make it work even though there are so many main characters.
20813 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / California
Online
Posted 6/1/16

qualeshia3 wrote:


Iberjib wrote:

You don't have to have every member of each family be a main character, if it's too many for you to focus on you should probably stick with selecting a few members from each family as the main focus and have all the rest be a secondary focus.


I'm going to try to make it work even though there are so many main characters.



Well I hope you succeed.
42532 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 6/1/16

Iberjib wrote:


qualeshia3 wrote:


Iberjib wrote:

You don't have to have every member of each family be a main character, if it's too many for you to focus on you should probably stick with selecting a few members from each family as the main focus and have all the rest be a secondary focus.


I'm going to try to make it work even though there are so many main characters.



Well I hope you succeed.


I hope so too.
13153 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 6/2/16
Try to introduce them gradually. I had 6 main characters in my book but I don't think it was ever confusing because I introduced them slowly as the book unfolded. Also, the more characters you have, the more difficult it will be to make things flow. I suggest spending a little extra time in the planning stage to make sure that your pacing doesn't feel jarring.
42532 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 6/2/16

sundin13 wrote:

Try to introduce them gradually. I had 6 main characters in my book but I don't think it was ever confusing because I introduced them slowly as the book unfolded. Also, the more characters you have, the more difficult it will be to make things flow. I suggest spending a little extra time in the planning stage to make sure that your pacing doesn't feel jarring.


I have a plan. Write two stories but use the same characters for each of the stories.
You must be logged in to post.