First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Post Reply Should US voting age be lowered to 16?
48603 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / AZ
Offline
Posted 6/2/16 , edited 6/4/16
No
31154 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M
Offline
Posted 6/2/16

gornotck wrote:

No, not at all.

In fact, raise the voting age to 35 and 14 years of residency, that way only people old enough to be President can vote for President or any other political position.

Yeah, the draft-eligible populace will surely love having no say in who's potentially sending them off to war. I mean, the idea was so popular during Vietnam that they amended the constitution to change the voting age... Yes, I'm being facetious.

Conversely, if you want to give children under 18 the right to vote, they need to also be beholden to that vote - i.e. draftable, paying taxes, etc. I don't see that happening any time soon.

"No taxation without representation," cuts both ways, you see.
10263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/2/16

iriomote wrote:


gornotck wrote:

No, not at all.

In fact, raise the voting age to 35 and 14 years of residency, that way only people old enough to be President can vote for President or any other political position.

Yeah, the draft-eligible populace will surely love having no say in who's potentially sending them off to war. I mean, the idea was so popular during Vietnam that they amended the constitution to change the voting age... Yes, I'm being facetious.

Conversely, if you want to give children under 18 the right to vote, they need to also be beholden to that vote - i.e. draftable, paying taxes, etc. I don't see that happening any time soon.

"No taxation without representation," cuts both ways, you see.


Eh.... I don't foresee a draft in the near future, to be honest.

Of course, I served, and don't feel like many of those I served with or myself were capable of making decisions well enough to influence our government wisely.

Perhaps, no one except those who served in the military or as some other form of public servant (police officer, dispatcher, fireman, EMS, etc.) should be allowed to vote. Problem solved.
55650 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 6/2/16
The brain doesn't actually finish development into the 20's. Also kids lack life experience. I don't want someone that can't go to war, voting people into office that can send others off to war. you want the rights, take the corresponding responsibility. And we don't send kids to war because they're still kids.
15057 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / Brasil
Online
Posted 6/2/16
In Brazil voting is mandatory to everyone between 18 and 60 ( i think), and iT´S optional for 16 yo.

I think it´s a interesting system, I started voting with 16 and it's a great experience for everyone who is looking foward for more

engaging with the real society.
VeggyZ 
2624 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / North Dakota
Offline
Posted 6/2/16 , edited 6/2/16
No, because I regularly talk to 16 year olds at my job, and no offense, but they don't need to be voting until they know what's going on.

That said, I think there should be guidelines that go beyond age and being a citizen to vote. People who can't even handle their own shit (which is a huge selection across ALL AGES) don't need to have a hand in determining the future of the country. Things should not cater to them because they do not add any strength to the society they leach off of. Building a country around incompetent people will only create an un-sustainable system much like the one we have now.

At least the kids have the excuse of saying they're still young.
15916 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / Pandemonium
Offline
Posted 6/2/16
No... honestly I feel like some one should be at least 21 or older then they can vote.
671 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 6/2/16

gornotck wrote:

No, not at all.

In fact, raise the voting age to 35 and 14 years of residency, that way only people old enough to be President can vote for President or any other political position.


Lets just make it so only white, land owning men can vote.
82434 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / CA, U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 6/2/16
No. If anything, the voting age should be higher.
221 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / Japan
Offline
Posted 6/2/16
I think all ages should be able to vote
10263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/2/16 , edited 7/2/16

Senjougahara_Hitagi wrote:


gornotck wrote:

No, not at all.

In fact, raise the voting age to 35 and 14 years of residency, that way only people old enough to be President can vote for President or any other political position.


Lets just make it so only white, land owning men can vote.


Race and age are two very different things. For example, you can go to jail for having consensual sex with someone who is underage. You will not go to jail for having consensual sex with someone of a different race.

OH, because it APPEARS to be an argument, when it is actually just the demonization of someone's beliefs. It misleads people into believing that the person you are basically insulting is evil, and therefore his argument must be wrong.

This is basically the same things bigots do to encourage compliance within their groups.

Example: You gonna let your son hang out with that fag? I mean, you might as well let him hang out with rapists and murders, because he ain't nothing but a sinner. (Disclaimer: This is not hate speech or in any way my personal beliefs, this is only an example.)

While the logic is present, because truly rape, murder, and homosexuality are all sins in Christianity, this overlooks the fact that other things, such as heterosexual lust and lying are also sins, and that everyone is a sinner in the eyes of Christianity. So, actually, this is intended to compare homosexuality with crimes, not sin, but uses the blanket of sin to make the comparison.

Additionally, this is how and why Christians are not bigots because they are Christians, and how bigots use Christianity as a banner for their bigotry. Saying something is a sin is much different than believing people should not have the right to do it....or hate for people who commit that sin.

So, what I am saying is....this nonsense really needs to stop.

Also, sorry for derailing the thread, but I feel like it needed to be said.
lawdog 
40441 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 6/2/16
Not only no, but hell no. Most 18 year olds aren't responsible enough to vote. The brain is still developing at age 16, and most people really don't finish maturing until they're in their early 20s. The notion of letting kids in the middle of full blown puberty have the vote is the height of irresponsibility; at least most have calmed down a little bit by 18. But let 16 year olds who have no real world experience or knowledge? Just more trolling for sheep.
2101 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / An Island off the...
Offline
Posted 6/2/16
18 the right age peraonally
93 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/2/16
To be fair the dropping of the voting age was because the argument was if they were old enough to be drafted and die for there country they should be able to vote
93 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/2/16 , edited 6/2/16
I believe that the white land owners comment is an originalist straw man
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.