First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
Post Reply Does a sentient robot deserve rights?
2101 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / An Island off the...
Offline
Posted 6/12/16
Sure they do
12636 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Marshall, Michigan
Offline
Posted 6/12/16

XxDarkSasuxX wrote:

No. The moment you entered the name of a non-organic being you answered your own question ffs


Who are you responding to?
20863 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Offline
Posted 6/12/16

XxDarkSasuxX wrote:

No. The moment you entered the name of a non-organic being you answered your own question ffs


Just because something is non-organic doesn't mean it doesn't deserve rights.
17642 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / Croatia
Offline
Posted 6/12/16
If I can't have any rights, then the robots can't have them, either! T_T
12636 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Marshall, Michigan
Offline
Posted 6/12/16

xxJing wrote:

The only purpose to create a simulation of a human is to be able to do experiments on it to further the prosperity of humanity. Rights exist as a means for society to function, they ensure that people are on equal ground and promote human progress. Giving rights to a simulation defeats the purpose of creating it in the first place.

So no, robots do not deserve rights because having them basically makes them meaningless.


Well said.
1229 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / ya mum's house
Offline
Posted 6/12/16

Ryulightorb wrote:


pandrasb wrote:


Ryulightorb wrote:

humans must not have conciousness after all our feelings and conciousness are a function of our brain which is a neural network which can be recreated with the knowledge and means to do so.

If nature can create and program a creature to feel and be conscious its in the realm of possibilities for a human to do so.
if we can't do so it just goes to show how pathetic we are and how little we understand.

Humans are by no means special.



well idk bout you but I think I'm pretty special lol (I'm jk)

if we can't do so it just goes to show how pathetic we are and how little we understand.

The brain is a complex cookie


you make it sound easy


well i am simpli

over simplifying, not everything can simply be categorized with numbers, data, and theory. All of what you are saying is conjecture. It is possibility. The brain and the human experience is complex. You can diminish it if you like, but it doesn't change anything. Binary code can create many things even though it is just 0 and 1s, but binary code does not make a human. If you study genetics, the special combination from a mother and a father each with their own traits come together to form a new being when an egg is fermented by a sperm. There can be twins, triplets etc in some cases, I wont claim to know much about that, but the same offspring can't be formed at a different separate time. Then, how can you have siblings that live in the same environment, but have completely different memories and interpretations of their own childhood. If they grew up in the same circumstances, why aren't they the same? Your theory suggests they should be. However, they aren't. That is because people are different despite even having the same mixture of dna from the same parents. Science can only explain so much. Some things might never be explained with science. You can disagree and keep your opinion and conjectures, but I prefer to think my own existence is unique. Until I can be cloned and that clone can go back in time and replace me as the child, then he will not have the same experience as me and be the same as me. Humans are complex, they can't be explained so easily,

20863 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Offline
Posted 6/12/16

electricdoomfire wrote:


Ryulightorb wrote:


pandrasb wrote:


Ryulightorb wrote:

humans must not have conciousness after all our feelings and conciousness are a function of our brain which is a neural network which can be recreated with the knowledge and means to do so.

If nature can create and program a creature to feel and be conscious its in the realm of possibilities for a human to do so.
if we can't do so it just goes to show how pathetic we are and how little we understand.

Humans are by no means special.



well idk bout you but I think I'm pretty special lol (I'm jk)

if we can't do so it just goes to show how pathetic we are and how little we understand.

The brain is a complex cookie


you make it sound easy


well i am simpli

over simplifying, not everything can simply be categorized with numbers, data, and theory. All of what you are saying is conjecture. It is possibility. The brain and the human experience is complex. You can diminish it if you like, but it doesn't change anything. Binary code can create many things even though it is just 0 and 1s, but binary code does not make a human. If you study genetics, the special combination from a mother and a father each with their own traits come together to form a new being when an egg is fermented by a sperm. There can be twins, triplets etc in some cases, I wont claim to know much about that, but the same offspring can't be formed at a different separate time. Then, how can you have siblings that live in the same environment, but have completely different memories and interpretations of their own childhood. If they grew up in the same circumstances, why aren't they the same? Your theory suggests they should be. However, they aren't. That is because people are different despite even having the same mixture of dna from the same parents. Science can only explain so much. Some things might never be explained with science. You can disagree and keep your opinion and conjectures, but I prefer to think my own existence is unique. Until I can be cloned and that clone can go back in time and replace me as the child, then he will not have the same experience as me and be the same as me. Humans are complex, they can't be explained so easily,



Yes they are hence why this won't happen until we understand ourselves fully
28602 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
51 / M / Inside the Anime...
Offline
Posted 6/12/16 , edited 6/12/16

Ryulightorb wrote:


Jophar_Vorin wrote:

Maybe they do, however how can we be sure they are really experiencing consciousness?
What if they just emulate it without feeling anything?


does that really matter.

Consciousness is just a function of our brain and illusion.

I had a seizure where the parts in my brain that make us conscious were affected and my body walked and talked and did stuff on it's own without me ever experiencing or having memory of it etc.

Even if a robot was in a state like that and did not have consciousness would it not be wrong to not give it rights?
Consciousness is far from being understood so we could hardly judge if said robot could be experiencing consciousness or not.

So where do we draw the line between a tool that is self aware and a robot that has rights?

When does using a tool become slavery.


Have you ever watched Chobits? by Clamp? It's a great anime that covers AI.
20863 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Offline
Posted 6/12/16 , edited 6/12/16

Steelmonk wrote:


Ryulightorb wrote:


Jophar_Vorin wrote:

Maybe they do, however how can we be sure they are really experiencing consciousness?
What if they just emulate it without feeling anything?


does that really matter.

Consciousness is just a function of our brain and illusion.

I had a seizure where the parts in my brain that make us conscious were affected and my body walked and talked and did stuff on it's own without me ever experiencing or having memory of it etc.

Even if a robot was in a state like that and did not have consciousness would it not be wrong to not give it rights?
Consciousness is far from being understood so we could hardly judge if said robot could be experiencing consciousness or not.

So where do we draw the line between a tool that is self aware and a robot that has rights?

When does using a tool become slavery.


Have you ever watched Chobits? by Clamp? It's a great anime that covers AI.


Yup clamp is life <3

15235 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M
Offline
Posted 6/12/16
Animals feel emotion but humans farm them, eat them, love them as pets, and abuse them, etc. I do enjoy eating meat but don't enjoy thinking about how much life had to die for that hamburger.

You have to separate emotions and self awareness or sentience. Robots or AI wouldn't be a food source but they would be a resource, like for mining, space exploration, or other hazardous tasks that is harmful for human life. Depending on what you believe or don't believe we humans don't know how far our own "programming" or "evolution" or "intelligent design" can go. Is there a limit?

That being said, I would err on the side of caution and say that if we can make something that feels, or emulates feelings, and can think or alter its own programming, then we have created a version of ourselves and therefore they have the same protective rights.
12636 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Marshall, Michigan
Offline
Posted 6/12/16

Leesburgfolk wrote:

Animals feel emotion but humans farm them, eat them, love them as pets, and abuse them, etc. I do enjoy eating meat but don't enjoy thinking about how much life had to die for that hamburger.

You have to separate emotions and self awareness or sentience. Robots or AI wouldn't be a food source but they would be a resource, like for mining, space exploration, or other hazardous tasks that is harmful for human life. Depending on what you believe or don't believe we humans don't know how far our own "programming" or "evolution" or "intelligent design" can go. Is there a limit?

That being said, I would err on the side of caution and say that if we can make something that feels, or emulates feelings, and can think or alter its own programming, then we have created a version of ourselves and therefore they have the same protective rights.


What would you say in response to what xxJing said?


xxJing wrote:

The only purpose to create a simulation of a human is to be able to do experiments on it to further the prosperity of humanity. Rights exist as a means for society to function, they ensure that people are on equal ground and promote human progress. Giving rights to a simulation defeats the purpose of creating it in the first place.

So no, robots do not deserve rights because having them basically makes them meaningless.
30236 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
It doesn't matter.
Offline
Posted 6/13/16
Don't make them fully sentient.
Problem solved.
20863 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Offline
Posted 6/13/16

jtjumper wrote:


Leesburgfolk wrote:

Animals feel emotion but humans farm them, eat them, love them as pets, and abuse them, etc. I do enjoy eating meat but don't enjoy thinking about how much life had to die for that hamburger.

You have to separate emotions and self awareness or sentience. Robots or AI wouldn't be a food source but they would be a resource, like for mining, space exploration, or other hazardous tasks that is harmful for human life. Depending on what you believe or don't believe we humans don't know how far our own "programming" or "evolution" or "intelligent design" can go. Is there a limit?

That being said, I would err on the side of caution and say that if we can make something that feels, or emulates feelings, and can think or alter its own programming, then we have created a version of ourselves and therefore they have the same protective rights.


What would you say in response to what xxJing said?


xxJing wrote:

The only purpose to create a simulation of a human is to be able to do experiments on it to further the prosperity of humanity. Rights exist as a means for society to function, they ensure that people are on equal ground and promote human progress. Giving rights to a simulation defeats the purpose of creating it in the first place.

So no, robots do not deserve rights because having them basically makes them meaningless.


Not really the best point.

Since we are likely to make it one day just to prove that we can.

8780 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
AKR
Offline
Posted 6/13/16

Razzalax wrote:

Sure they do


You mean s*x bots? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)


Nalaniel wrote:

If I can't have any rights, then the robots can't have them, either! T_T


Thats actually a good point. Didnt think of it that way before.
17642 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / Croatia
Offline
Posted 6/13/16 , edited 6/13/16

Jophar_Vorin wrote:

Thats actually a good point. Didnt think of it that way before.


Everyone deserves rights, even animals. Unfortunately, change is slow and people need to realise what they're doing is wrong, which often happens when it's too late.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.