First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
Post Reply Should women have to register for the draft?
20843 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Offline
Posted 6/16/16 , edited 6/16/16

lambofgenesis wrote:

If you try to not go to war they put you in jail which is better than losing your life in a war you don't want to fight. But then again, if America is going to go down, yeah I'd say it's mandatory we all pitch in to actually try to save our homeland... like wtf :)


I'm not American but if I was I have a simple motto if your on the losing side switch teams.

Sure you will be a traitor and seen as a coward however you are alive.
10618 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 6/16/16 , edited 6/16/16

Ryulightorb wrote:
[...]
I'm not American but if I was I have a simple motto if your on the losing side switch teams.

Sure you will be a traitor and seen as a coward however you are alive.


Until you're killed for being a traitor and a coward in an untraceable murder carried out by your former countrymen.
Posted 6/16/16

lambofgenesis wrote:

If we're drafted at birth why do we need to register with our FAFSA?

Maybe because you want the illusion that you have a choice? I don't know. I don't know why you do most of the things you do in the U.S.. Most of the things you do in the U.S. seems completely backwards and strange to me.


lambofgenesis wrote:

if the draft was just basic training why did people flee to Canada during I forget which war

I think most of you, when you hear "military draft", are thinking about the type of conscription that you had in the U.S. at the time of your civil war, over 200 years ago, not the type of conscription we use in modern day society, well, in my country at least. In my country we are not forced to sign a contract that allows them to send us off to war, it would be against our rights. At the end of our basic training, at the end of our draft, we can choose to sign that contract, we are not forced to.

I mean, to me, it feels like you're inventing a problem that doesn't need to be there.


DazaiShinju wrote:

You've made your point clear - perhaps I haven't been clear.
I pay taxes on absolutely everything in the UK. I pay those taxes so that services like the armed forces are able to function. There ends my interest and involvement with the military. I don't have a choice about the taxes, but I do have a choice about how I spend my time. I work my arse off to keep my head above water as an actor, and keeping momentum up is essential - I would have no desire to sacrifice everything for a year, to answer a draft. I don't want or need to be trained, war or no war.

I have a friend who is Korean (south, obviously). He actually lives between London, Paris and Seoul, but works for the most part in England. Whilst we were at university, he was stressing out - trying to decide when it would be best to fit his compulsory national service in. He still hasn't done it, but he will have to. What utter bollocks - here's a young guy, with no interest whatsoever or inclination to spend anytime with the military, having to decide which couple of years of his life will be easiest to sacrifice.

Ah, ok. Yeah, I think that's a reasonable concern. It was my concern, too, when I was 18. Back then, all I wanted, was to create a home for myself, and a family. You know, a job, a house, a girlfriend, all that lame shit. I didn't care for the military at all. It's just, where I live you can postpone it indefinitely, until you are of an age where you're no longer eligible for conscription. Also, most people who don't seek to postpone their conscription, those who forget to- or didn't know that they could, and end up going to basic training, if they still want out when they get there, end up getting out because the military don't want them. There are tens of thousands of people who are conscripted each year, and there's just not room for them all, and it might as well be the person who least wants to be there, and who in turn is least likely to learn anything while they're there.

But, of course, if your military can sustain itself with people who seeks out the military themselves, and truly wants to be in the military, why not use that system? The only problem with that system, is that your military can't weed out the bad, the mentally unstable hill-billy rednecks who only joins because they think assault rifles are cool, and want to blow people up. These are the ones who are going to represent your country, and in part western civilization, when they're out there.
52866 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
100 / M
Offline
Posted 6/16/16
-Shrugs- Why not, but I rather no Wars and I understand that it cannot be help in some situation.. :/

I recall watching News about China, and there was lot of Chinese women in Military.. Not sure if they force them to join like Men now.. Unless that North Korea.



20843 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Offline
Posted 6/16/16

gornotck wrote:


Ryulightorb wrote:
[...]
I'm not American but if I was I have a simple motto if your on the losing side switch teams.

Sure you will be a traitor and seen as a coward however you are alive.


Until you're killed for being a traitor and a coward in an untraceable murder carried out by your former countrymen.


True but I guess you do live longer \ o /

All I know is I will never fight for my country in a war
10618 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 6/16/16

Ryulightorb wrote:
[...]

True but I guess you do live longer \ o /

All I know is I will never fight for my country in a war


That's why your country is going to hell. That's okay, though. It'll all work out in the end.
20843 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Offline
Posted 6/16/16

gornotck wrote:


Ryulightorb wrote:
[...]

True but I guess you do live longer \ o /

All I know is I will never fight for my country in a war


That's why your country is going to hell. That's okay, though. It'll all work out in the end.


Like every other country XD
1246 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / F / Connecticut
Offline
Posted 6/16/16
Yea, if there was no way to just not have a draft, it's fair to have women register for the draft. I don't really know much about the draft though. It's kind of strange that they don't talk about it *at all* in American high school.
228 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Finland
Offline
Posted 6/16/16 , edited 6/16/16
Do I believe your gender should have an affect in military draft or some other system like it? - No. I don't.

There a certain amount of arguments to be had about this. Some more valid than others.

Males as physically stronger gender where often the one's who defended out homes from beats and hunt by our ancestors. So our first cultures build upon the notion of men being superior to women.
Such as the case was. Men were the soldiers of that era and have been pretty much ever since.
That argument in itself still holds as males are on average stronger than females. But we live in the era where western culture is trying to remove gender roles and this question is still very much on the "only men should" side of things.
Lot of my own criticism for feminism is in fact from this topic as I haven't seen many of them really addressing the topic.
But out western culture claims to have outlived such an era, so this is just something more they should fix.

Back to the point.

Highly militaristic cultures tend to have valued masculine features highly as men were the one's who fought the wars. So these cultures promoted their desired people. Aka highly trained, fit men. Pacifism was and to an extent still is regarded as negative in these cultures and look down upon.
For example: if someone where to punch you, It is the code of honor to punch back.

History teaching is primarily focused on wars, especially your own wars. And those wars you have won. The most important people in your history most are not artist or scientists, but military leaders.
Going to military gives you benefits in studies. Refusing to go makes you criminal.
Workplaces prefer military background and all these create social pressures with family and friends for one to be part of the military.

Still should women register for draft? Well. I believe they should, assuming such a system is in place.

My bigger issue is the system itself.
Collectivism is not something we have in our western world, pretty much anywhere. Yet military is the one topic it has managed to avoid.
Still I don't believe anyone should be forced into a war.
If they consider their culture worth fighting for. They will fight for it. If not, then the system should not force them to place their lives on something they don't even consider worthwhile. To me that is an obvious break of individual rights.

So I personally have no interest in chancing the system to everyone registers/does military conscription. For I don't believe anyone should.

It is just absurd that being a pacifist and opposing military systems and war can be considered a criminal offence.
Civilian service isn't a sufficient option either. Nothing negative should come of opposing war.
I don't know what the law says in the U.S.A. about that, but here it sure is a criminal offence.

This is something I had to think about a lot when I made my choice. Choosing the conscription wasn't the issue itself. I am willing ti fight for my culture, but the fact that I indirectly support the system by doing so.
6593 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Palm Coast, Florida
Offline
Posted 6/16/16
Yes, it would only be fair.
3606 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / Chicagoland ~
Offline
Posted 6/16/16

lambofgenesis wrote:


IshokuOsero wrote:

I don't think anyone should have to register for the draft, whether it's man or woman. Of course either way even if there was a draft again I'm too old for that so it's all up to others at this point.


You're required to register for the draft if you want federal college aid, btw


I'm confused about what that has anything to do with my response.
11505 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/16/16 , edited 6/16/16

Ryulightorb wrote:

I'm not American but if I was I have a simple motto if your on the losing side switch teams.

Sure you will be a traitor and seen as a coward however you are alive.


lol ryu, you said so many times you live in NY and ur profile still says u live in queens. haha. But I guess you could also be an international student or illegal immigrant.

11505 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/16/16

IshokuOsero wrote:


lambofgenesis wrote:


IshokuOsero wrote:

I don't think anyone should have to register for the draft, whether it's man or woman. Of course either way even if there was a draft again I'm too old for that so it's all up to others at this point.


You're required to register for the draft if you want federal college aid, btw


I'm confused about what that has anything to do with my response.


well, just throwing that out there, since it's a sneaky way the gov. is making you register for the draft. Also, just in case you weren't aware that you already signed up if you went to college and submitted a FAFSA.
10618 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 6/16/16

lambofgenesis wrote:

[...]

lol ryu, you said so many times you live in NY and ur profile still says u live in queens. haha. But I guess you could also be an international student or illegal immigrant.



He lives in QUEENSLAND, not Queens. It's nearby, but it's not the same place.
11505 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/16/16

gornotck wrote:


lambofgenesis wrote:

[...]

lol ryu, you said so many times you live in NY and ur profile still says u live in queens. haha. But I guess you could also be an international student or illegal immigrant.



He lives in QUEENSLAND, not Queens. It's nearby, but it's not the same place.


oh really? wow my bad.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.