First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
Post Reply Jo Cox: An attack on Democracy
2654 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / England
Offline
Posted 6/16/16 , edited 6/23/16
So I don't know who follows UK politics/News on CR, but something dreadful happened today and I'm genuinely shocked to my core. This isn't the kind of thing that happens in the UK, and I'm not even sure where to begin with it.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jun/16/the-guardian-view-on-jo-cox-an-attack-on-humanity-idealism-and-democracy

This article sums up what has happened, and also mirrors my feelings on the matter. The fact that the attack was allegedly carried out by a 'Britain First' supporter (read: Scum) makes me sick to my stomach.
Having waxed lyrical about the lack of gun crime in the UK, I'm horrified that one was used.


19120 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/16/16
What makes it worse are her kids are only 3 and 5 years old.
16741 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Hoosierville
Offline
Posted 6/16/16 , edited 6/16/16
Guns are an easy weapon to make. It's really no surprise here: http://www.gunslot.com/blog/how-make-gun-common-materials-self-defense

Gun laws don't apply to criminals, they never have.
2654 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / England
Offline
Posted 6/16/16

bobland wrote:

What makes it worse are her kids are only 3 and 5 years old.


It's just horrible isn't it. I'd watched a few of her addresses before, as her views on Syria are much in line with my own. There's mention of the attacker yelling 'Britain First', but also the suggestion that he may be mentally ill.

It just terrifies me to think that the people I have written off as ignorant racists are now... well, murdering people.
http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/06/a-day-of-infamy/

I don't want to post too many links, but it's been put better than I ever could here.

I'm starting to feel really, really scared for the UK. Fuck knows what will happen if we actually leave the EU.
725 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 6/16/16
It's looking more like he has serious metal illnesses problems, rather than it being motivated by any political views. But stuff is still coming out about it so that might change. Also... when you say stuff like this doesn't happen in the UK, well it does, it's just that it's rare.
qwueri 
16432 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M
Online
Posted 6/16/16
It's absolutely repugnant to assault or murder someone over politics, I'll be praying for her and her family
Posted 6/16/16
It's very surprising to me for something like this to happen in England. I wonder if it was an assassination or just an extremist.
28224 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/16/16

DazaiShinju wrote:
This article sums up what has happened, and also mirrors my feelings on the matter. The fact that the attack was allegedly carried out by a 'Britain First' supporter (read: Scum) makes me sick to my stomach.
Having waxed lyrical about the lack of gun crime in the UK, I'm horrified that one was used.


Yes, saw the story this morning and was really surprised. Then quickly frustrated by just how fast it got used as a "See? Gun control doesn't work!" example in every comments section I read on the story. From what I hear the weapon he used was homemade or some sort of antique he jury rigged back into working condition.

Parliament at least has reacted in a solemn, reasonable fashion. Save for the Britain First asshole. Unfortunately that is one thing you're sharing with the US at the moment: Politicians that feign surprise when their rhetoric has consequences. Stoking the fires of anger and extremism then shrugging when the house burns down.
2654 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / England
Offline
Posted 6/16/16

runec wrote:


DazaiShinju wrote:
This article sums up what has happened, and also mirrors my feelings on the matter. The fact that the attack was allegedly carried out by a 'Britain First' supporter (read: Scum) makes me sick to my stomach.
Having waxed lyrical about the lack of gun crime in the UK, I'm horrified that one was used.


Yes, saw the story this morning and was really surprised. Then quickly frustrated by just how fast it got used as a "See? Gun control doesn't work!" example in every comments section I read on the story. From what I hear the weapon he used was homemade or some sort of antique he jury rigged back into working condition.

Parliament at least has reacted in a solemn, reasonable fashion. Save for the Britain First asshole. Unfortunately that is one thing you're sharing with the US at the moment: Politicians that feign surprise when their rhetoric has consequences. Stoking the fires of anger and extremism then shrugging when the house burns down.



Yea, I immediately thought that the backlash would be that it be used as an example of Gun controls not working. The fact is, to even hear a story where someone is shot in the UK is seriously rare. Yes, from what I understand it was a home-made gun but used antique parts. You can buy guns here without a license - they just don't work and are considered collectibles. However I don't think the exact nature of the weapon has been confirmed.

Do you mean Farage? He's the leader of UKIP - Britain first is just a generalised collection of cockwombles, but most of the cunts in Britain First support either UKIP or the now defunct BNP. That said, UKIP is all but dead since Farage thankfully lost his fucking seat. Too little, too late.

Excuse the language. I'm angry.
17181 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 6/16/16
I saw this news an hour ago as I was eating at this cafe. Seriously, this fucking week has been nothing but depressing
27451 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / USA! USA! USA!
Offline
Posted 6/16/16
As other users have stated, it is seeming less like it was politically motivated, and more like the guy has mental problems.


Several media outlets have updated their coverage by removing the claim about the gunman shouting "Britain First."


Of course, this is the same media that when obvious Islamic terrorism occurs says we must "wait until all the facts have been established" and even then refuses to acknowledge it as such, and instead calls for gun control, etc.
2654 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / England
Offline
Posted 6/16/16

maxgale wrote:

As other users have stated, it is seeming less like it was politically motivated, and more like the guy has mental problems.


Several media outlets have updated their coverage by removing the claim about the gunman shouting "Britain First."


Of course, this is the same media that when obvious Islamic terrorism occurs says we must "wait until all the facts have been established" and even then refuses to acknowledge it as such, and instead calls for gun control, etc.


I agree with waiting for the facts to be released. However, someone with mental illness will still have been influenced by something... and the rhetoric of Britain First is nothing short of psychotic.

27451 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / USA! USA! USA!
Offline
Posted 6/16/16 , edited 6/18/16

DazaiShinju wrote:


maxgale wrote:

As other users have stated, it is seeming less like it was politically motivated, and more like the guy has mental problems.


Several media outlets have updated their coverage by removing the claim about the gunman shouting "Britain First."


Of course, this is the same media that when obvious Islamic terrorism occurs says we must "wait until all the facts have been established" and even then refuses to acknowledge it as such, and instead calls for gun control, etc.


I agree with waiting for the facts to be released. However, someone with mental illness will still have been influenced by something... and the rhetoric of Britain First is nothing short of psychotic.






Anything could have set the guy off.


That's the thing about his problems, people with them don't act logically.
2654 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / England
Offline
Posted 6/16/16

maxgale wrote:


DazaiShinju wrote:


maxgale wrote:

As other users have stated, it is seeming less like it was politically motivated, and more like the guy has mental problems.


Several media outlets have updated their coverage by removing the claim about the gunman shouting "Britain First."


Of course, this is the same media that when obvious Islamic terrorism occurs says we must "wait until all the facts have been established" and even then refuses to acknowledge it as such, and instead calls for gun control, etc.


I agree with waiting for the facts to be released. However, someone with mental illness will still have been influenced by something... and the rhetoric of Britain First is nothing short of psychotic.



Anything could have set the guy off.


That's the thing about his problems, people with them don't act logically.


Lets reserve judgement for now. I'm sure it will come to light soon enough.

17031 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / F / In a van down by...
Offline
Posted 6/16/16 , edited 6/16/16
Why did this guy scream 'Britain First?' Was this woman opposed?


I heard about this when I came home from work today and like others, was surprised that this was in the UK. RIP to Ms Cox and condolescences to her family.

and to the people of Britain.


ETA: edited because I found the thread that explained it more.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.