First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply Are They Just Mocking Anime?
3356 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / Wisconsin
Offline
Posted 6/17/16 , edited 6/17/16
So NYX cosmetics holds an annual competition to see who the best new artist is and win the title of Best Beauty Blogger. For round 2 they announced anime was going to be the theme. 20 contestants had 2 weeks to come up with a video concept and film edit and post their videos.

Link the the videos: http://www.nyxfaceawards.com/

Some of them claim to be die hard anime fans and some of them don't at all. What do you guys think of these videos?
EDIT: (Whether or not they are mocking anime isn't the question here. Its what is your opinion on their videos. Either as a whole or a specific one.)


To me a lot of the videos just were a let down because most of them didn't scream ANIME to me. Looking at a lot of them you could imagine them going under other topics (mythical creature, fairy tales, etc) and the "cosplay" esque videos were that of basic animes like DragonBall or Sailor Moon (not all of them but a lot of them). I didn't expect much from the people who don't like anime but I was severely let down by the people who claimed to be die hard fans.


Please keep comments constructively critic. Don't just say "well they are all shit bc they are makeup artists" also there are boys in the competition as well so no homophobic remarks.



(Also I felt this best fit here since its more a discussion about the completion itself than about any one anime but if its in the wrong spot do not comment "this is in the wrong area" because thats not helping discussion)
195 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Texas
Offline
Posted 6/17/16
Probably wanted to do something simple that the general public could relate to easily. Most people would recognize stuff like DBZ and Sailor Moon, doing anything outlandishly unfamiliar would be a coin toss probably. Imagine doing some anime but not a whole lot of people know where it comes from, you more likely than not failed in portraying anime to a wide range of people.
Posted 6/17/16
You are baiting with this.

also there are boys in the competition as well so no homophobic remarks.


I watch a bit from two videos. They look Halloween style more than anime to me. Also just me or was the ghost in the shell one look like Attack on titan kind look?
3356 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / Wisconsin
Offline
Posted 6/17/16 , edited 6/17/16

HighRoller- wrote:

Probably wanted to do something simple that the general public could relate to easily. Most people would recognize stuff like DBZ and Sailor Moon, doing anything outlandishly unfamiliar would be a coin toss probably. Imagine doing some anime but not a whole lot of people know where it comes from, you more likely than not failed in portraying anime to a wide range of people.


idk how i got brought into that bc i'm not in it but i'll continue...

I feel that this was just a massively failed attempt and including another culture. As I was watching the videos it felt as though the people went to google and just typed in "Top anime of all time" and did a look based on those. Some were phenomenal and I gave all my votes to those people but the point of the competition isn't about making something simple to appeal to the general public its about the artistry of what they did. So the people who did do "cosplay" esque makeup definitely impressed me but I would have been more impressed if they made it their own and not just an exact look from a basic anime. (not a fan of attack on titan but the two videos of it were pretty good i'll give them props) Pompberry who did the Totorro inspired look blew my freaking mind because it was sooooooo amazing and was certainly not something the average Joe could do with a makeup brush. And then there were others who just didn't seem to try at all to even make a creative look.
3356 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / Wisconsin
Offline
Posted 6/17/16

KarenAraragi wrote:

You are baiting with this.

also there are boys in the competition as well so no homophobic remarks.


I watch a bit from two videos. They look Halloween style more than anime to me. Also just me or was the ghost in the shell one look like Attack on titan kind look?


not at all baiting. i said it because there are only two boys in the competiton and they deserve to have their skills assested fairly because tbh they do amazing work and i'm very impressed they made it this far. I put it there because I will absolutely not tolerate that. Had to go back and look at the Ghost in the Shell one and I do kinda see what you mean. If you were looking at the body it definitely looks more like a Titan the face is what kinda makes it look less like one.

I also agree and feel thats a perfect way to describe it. "They look like Halloween style more than anime to me."
195 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Texas
Offline
Posted 6/17/16

HJCosplay wrote:

idk how i got brought into that bc i'm not in it but i'll continue...

I feel that this was just a massively failed attempt and including another culture. As I was watching the videos it felt as though the people went to google and just typed in "Top anime of all time" and did a look based on those. Some were phenomenal and I gave all my votes to those people but the point of the competition isn't about making something simple to appeal to the general public its about the artistry of what they did. So the people who did do "cosplay" esque makeup definitely impressed me but I would have been more impressed if they made it their own and not just an exact look from a basic anime. (not a fan of attack on titan but the two videos of it were pretty good i'll give them props) Pompberry who did the Totorro inspired look blew my freaking mind because it was sooooooo amazing and was certainly not something the average Joe could do with a makeup brush. And then there were others who just didn't seem to try at all to even make a creative look.



Oh woah slow it down, my "you" is a generic you, It's not asserting you yourself directly.

Anyways maybe doing a cop-out is easier for them, I don't think there is any hint of mocking in any case. It seems like you had high expectations from them and they let you down. I can throw in my hat to those who do makeup because not only am I a guy, but I used to sit in and pick the brain of cosmetic women and man, it can be overwhelming and making them do an anime theme which might be foreign could be difficult to make look right.

Anyways my vote is not mocking, maybe lackluster is the right word, it could be better and amazing, but some decided to hit for the minimum.
1246 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / F / Connecticut
Offline
Posted 6/17/16
I don't think they're mocking it since they took the time to get the materials and do the look, but it's usually hard to make something amazing when you know nothing about the culture.
3356 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / Wisconsin
Offline
Posted 6/17/16

HighRoller- wrote:
Oh woah slow it down, my "you" is a generic you, It's not asserting you yourself directly.

Anyways maybe doing a cop-out is easier for them, I don't think there is any hint of mocking in any case. It seems like you had high expectations from them and they let you down. I can throw in my hat to those who do makeup because not only am I a guy, but I used to sit in and pick the brain of cosmetic women and man, it can be overwhelming and making them do an anime theme which might be foreign could be difficult to make look right.

Anyways my vote is not mocking, maybe lackluster is the right word, it could be better and amazing, but some decided to hit for the minimum.


hahah oh gosh! sorry i didn't mean to make it seem like I took it personal I didn't my (...) was just kinda like a segue into what I wanted to say hahah. I was mostly just confused about the You.

anyways!

When I used the word "Mocking" I didn't actually think they were mocking. I mean i'd be lying if I said I wasn't put off by the people who said they were "#otaku" and then put out a more Halloween-y looking makeup. If i'm being 100% honest I kinda expected the videos to not be that great for the most part but the people who talked a big game and made it seem like they were confident in what they were doing definitely disappointed me. Allso that is very neat you got to pick their brains haha! As a person who does do videos like these I understand how difficult it can be at times (sometimes I got weeks to a couple months without finding a solid idea) but I expected more from the people who blew me away in the first round with their beautiful videos and astounding creativity and inspire me so much but then kinda went flat this round.
Posted 6/17/16


Yes, you are. Let me explain it to you. You ask people to not do something. Making people want to do it. Someone out there is bound to do that. Especially people who love pissing off other people. I know because I am that kind person sometimes.

Besides, the mods are overzealous with that. Somebody could make a well thought out homophobic Joke. Still going to get delete and maybe ban too. Point being mods will take care of anything remotely offensive.
3356 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / Wisconsin
Offline
Posted 6/17/16

KarenAraragi wrote:

Yes, you are. Let me explain it to you. You ask people to not do something. Making people want to do it. Someone out there is bound to do that. Especially people who love pissing off other people. I know because I am that kind person sometimes.

Besides, the mods are overzealous with that. Somebody could make a well thought out homophobic Joke. Still going to get delete and maybe ban too. Point being mods will take care of anything remotely offensive.


Then we are just going to have to agree to disagree because this convo happening right now has nothing to do what this forum post is about and therefore i don't feel like continuing with it. I still feel that you are wrong but I just don't really care enough to fight about it tbh
Posted 6/17/16


Anyway, I want to say if that is you in your profile pic. You look fabulous.
48485 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Colorado
Offline
Posted 6/17/16
I like the methods that were used for makeup. Some as you stated did not take much effort while others did. Thanks for the link, will be going back to help with my cosplay.

I like theses:

3356 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / Wisconsin
Offline
Posted 6/17/16

KarenAraragi wrote:

Anyway, I want to say if that is you in your profile pic. You look fabulous.


haha thanks! It is me :)


macht_gut wrote:

I like the methods that were used for makeup. Some as you stated did not take much effort while others did. Thanks for the link, will be going back to help with my cosplay.

I like theses:



And the girl in the 3rd image is one of the girls who was like "I don't know shit about anime" but her video reeeeeeeeally impressed me. Like she isn't a part of the community and she went like ALL OUT and that made me very happy. I was so impressed! and yeah Pompberry (pic 5) was just so amazing to me. I voted for her!
195 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Texas
Offline
Posted 6/17/16

HJCosplay wrote:

hahah oh gosh! sorry i didn't mean to make it seem like I took it personal I didn't my (...) was just kinda like a segue into what I wanted to say hahah. I was mostly just confused about the You.

anyways!

When I used the word "Mocking" I didn't actually think they were mocking. I mean i'd be lying if I said I wasn't put off by the people who said they were "#otaku" and then put out a more Halloween-y looking makeup. If i'm being 100% honest I kinda expected the videos to not be that great for the most part but the people who talked a big game and made it seem like they were confident in what they were doing definitely disappointed me. Allso that is very neat you got to pick their brains haha! As a person who does do videos like these I understand how difficult it can be at times (sometimes I got weeks to a couple months without finding a solid idea) but I expected more from the people who blew me away in the first round with their beautiful videos and astounding creativity and inspire me so much but then kinda went flat this round.


Ah ok ok we're good, on the same page mostly everything makes sense now lol.

Yeah I can see your pov more, sounds like yea.. I kinda looked over briefly but I didn't know that last part. Disappointment at it's finest, I would be too lol

3356 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / Wisconsin
Offline
Posted 6/17/16 , edited 6/17/16

HighRoller- wrote:

Ah ok ok we're good, on the same page mostly everything makes sense now lol.

Yeah I can see your pov more, sounds like yea.. I kinda looked over briefly but I didn't know that last part. Disappointment at it's finest, I would be too lol



hahah for sure! I mean I'm not trying to bad mouth them personally either I just felt a lot of them dropped the ball. But other videos they have done were like "well fuck thats amazing". They are all very talented artists I just don't feel they expressed their creativity as well as they could have.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.