First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply What Do You Think Of This Review Rant?
5974 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Terra Australis (...
Offline
Posted 6/19/16 , edited 6/19/16
Since you agreed with me on the second point you attempted to make, I will only refute the first


Ah, so that's what you mean by political. I'll keep that in mind. Though I believe you applied political as an insult, because you see the animation in question as being sorely of the non political sort.

No, I don't. You are simply mistaken. Not all political goals are bad, infact, some are very good, but you are still interpreting politics as bad. It isn't, it has ridiculous sub groups at times, but it's not overall bad, it's overall neutral. It's the political bias and complete subjectiveness I had a problem with.


I disagree. I believe it is in a long trend of media in Japan where LGBT people are treats as joke material sorely for their sexuality and gender identity and not for their characters or anything else. It amounts to "Haha, he is gay" and I believe in changing social attitudes on that, through awareness and not by legislation (Although I do believe in that to an extent for some rights, but in terms of changing attitudes? Can't legislate that.) I'm simply asking for more awareness of the issue, but I won't "force" it.


I disagree. First off, I think gay people are rarely treated as a bad thing in an serious capacity, so let's remove LGB out of LGBT for the sake of this argument. (How many people do you honestly believe claim Haha, he is gay seriously? This sounds like what bullies or far righter's follow as a train of thought. I know many gay people that even happened to be bullies, so I seriously doubt that really anyone besides the far right really do this. I doubt the number is large. And therefore, the societal impact is doubt-able too.

....Infact, you have even completely derailed from trans people to gay people. And I think they are 2 separate issues, because one, is simply the sexual attraction, nothing wrong with that.

while transpeople......well, that's a difficult issue to discuss. I suppose my belief is that trans people do exist, but, the issue of this is handled by ideologues who are completely irrational. They never really let it sink in for trans people that they can Never be the gender they desire to be. I don't think people should be talked into transition.....without the proper info......like the extreme cancer rise that will occur due to the hormone therapy. I think that trans people should take medication that allows for them to adjust to body, rather than the other way around because this is a brain issue, not a body issue. And the implications for the trans person who transitions are very very difficult for people to deal with.
Posted 6/19/16

PeripheralVisionary wrote:


KarenAraragi wrote:

PV don't watch it if it bothers you that much. Honestly is fiction and people are into that. Here is the problem. You clearly force yourself to watch it. Your anger lies in the I want this to be treated more seriously. Even though you know there are anime out there that treat it more seriously and with respect . The show made it clear from the first episode what it is about. In another note don't watch You're Being Summoned, Azazel. Your head will explode. That show is the embodiment of zero fucks giving about offending people.


I like raging. Also, I liked Azazel. Like Southpark, it makes no special cases, and although I find the humor in Azazel to be less "political" (Southpark has gotten more ideological over these few years.) I think it was a good show. However, to decry southpark , the episode Mr. Garrison Sex Change who message was "transgenders are mentally ill to mutilate their bodies" (I find it hard to interpret it as anything else, but I am listening) and I was like fuck it, it is gross for the balls in knee scenario, and the fact that it isn't rooted in fact nor is supported by anything satirical logic, makes me believe it to be the worst episode. Occasionally, Southpark makes fun of zealots without really noting the cause, which is fun and all, but it feels like missed examination to me.


PV I think you are being a bit presumptuous and borderline Social justice warrior. Don't quote me on that, though. I watch the show and 100 percent I enjoy the show. Although there were times were I was genuinely angry but this was do to the fact I was invested in the show and characters. However, you seem mad that this show and the others you mention. Didn't do what you wanted them to do. In turn, you got angry because it offended you. That what I believe is the problem here. That why you write this rant. This reminds me of School Days. I want the MC to redeem himself or behave but when he finally did. That fucking ending happened. Sure was memorable but still a shity ending.
8490 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Imoutoland!
Offline
Posted 6/19/16
Your refutation doesn't really follow. You accused me of being an idiot for railing this into a controversial topic. So yes, it would be bad for me to make it political because it doesn't have anything to do with politics in your opinion. I believe it is a larger dialogue about LGBT, particularly the trans community, although from my view, gay is being accepted through many 1st world places, although shows like "Baka no Test" and even great shows like Railgun make far too much use of the obsessive lesbian trope (Yes, it is a trope.) and of course, making fun of Hideyoshi, although they were far less....dicks about it. Looking back, I don't see why it can't be both, but I'll focus on trans people.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PsychoLesbian


There is simply making a joke, and following a bigoted trend, and all I'm asking for is for LGBT to mean something more than being comedic material, because most of it is bereft of actual respect for the topic at hand, so yes, there is trouble in comedy when it typecasts characters based on an outdated stereotype and so forth. I won't advocate for social engineering except by spreading awareness, I won't ask people to boycott Chick Fil-A because the CEO doesn't like gays or for Korra or Elsa to have a lesbian girlfriend, because that would be infringing on writer's ability to make their own story. I am merely asking to be thoughtful, to put some effort in the jokes that don't rely on a gimmicky stereotype. Although looking back, I do not see where I derail, but merely expanded my topic to LGBT in general.

Back on a previous reply, I do notice a lot of the left doing it as well, particularly with the pony to unicorn episode in Powerpuff Girls that is obviously referring to transgenders. (I find it to be meritless and without argument, although I appreciate the message of acceptance.)

As for the far righters....I think a lot of people do this because not out of malice, but because they're susceptible to media. True, a lot of people are probably band wagon liberals at this point, such as Piers Morgan , but I find the influence of fiction to be far more insidious and outright subtle in its influence. This is where social attitudes come to light, sometimes as thinly veil social critiques like animal farm, sometimes spy movies where Bond is somewhat sexist. This is where people like Vox Day push their ideologies into fictional sci fi stories to prove a point. Some of it caters to an already widely held belief, some because they want to influence the masses.

This is where my "just an anime" remark came from. Because with the advent of news shows like "Orange is the New Black" and "Law and Order SVU" (Which tackles men being raped among other things pretty well.) Himegoto is part of a dying trend.

Although in all fairness, I am fairly upset by the fact that MEN can't face sexual harassment, which I believe could also be a large part of Himegoto's message. Hime isn't transgender, but he could be analogous to transgenders. I admit, this is conjecture at this point. What he is a very feminine looking man subjected to abuse. Hence while I titled it "Sexual Harassment: The Animation", because it is a double whammy at this point.
One Punch Mod
85800 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 6/19/16

CreatorTheta wrote:
You. Are. An. Idiot.


Direct insults to other users are in violation of CR's site rules. It's fine to disagree; it is not appropriate here to demean the person you are arguing with.

You also have been completely messing up quotes so it's hard to decipher who said what. Please take more care when quoting, and insert the appropriate tags.

I'll be doing some cleanup, but if you continue with such posts (insulting; being exceedingly careless with failure to use quote tags correctly) I'll just delete them.

8490 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Imoutoland!
Offline
Posted 6/19/16

KarenAraragi wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:


KarenAraragi wrote:

PV don't watch it if it bothers you that much. Honestly is fiction and people are into that. Here is the problem. You clearly force yourself to watch it. Your anger lies in the I want this to be treated more seriously. Even though you know there are anime out there that treat it more seriously and with respect . The show made it clear from the first episode what it is about. In another note don't watch You're Being Summoned, Azazel. Your head will explode. That show is the embodiment of zero fucks giving about offending people.


I like raging. Also, I liked Azazel. Like Southpark, it makes no special cases, and although I find the humor in Azazel to be less "political" (Southpark has gotten more ideological over these few years.) I think it was a good show. However, to decry southpark , the episode Mr. Garrison Sex Change who message was "transgenders are mentally ill to mutilate their bodies" (I find it hard to interpret it as anything else, but I am listening) and I was like fuck it, it is gross for the balls in knee scenario, and the fact that it isn't rooted in fact nor is supported by anything satirical logic, makes me believe it to be the worst episode. Occasionally, Southpark makes fun of zealots without really noting the cause, which is fun and all, but it feels like missed examination to me.


PV I think you are being a bit presumptuous and borderline Social justice warrior. Don't quote me on that, though. I watch the show and 100 percent I enjoy the show. Although there were times were I was genuinely angry but this was do to the fact I was invested in the show and characters. However, you seem mad that this show and the others you mention. Didn't do what you wanted them to do. In turn, you got angry because it offended you. That what I believe is the problem here. That why you write this rant. This reminds me of School Days. I want the MC to redeem himself or behave but when he finally did. That fucking ending happened. Sure was memorable but still a shity ending.


South Park is very political at times, and I believe this is what makes up the appeal. The introduction of PC Principal is completely rooted in people's disgust for the regressive left and aims to make a point. At the very least, they could try to argue instead of using extremists to say "Hey, look at these people! Look how they are!" Honestly? This applies mainly to critiques against the left (Because I agree with some of it) though I do find their respect of the right to be inspiring. They don't make the right out to be idiots.

On another topic, Ben Shapiro, among other things, does a very good job at arguing for the right. Although working for Breitbart is idiotic in itself. I mean, Yianpoulous doesn't know shit about internet culture. He's there primarily to ride on the coattails of the Gamergate movement, which if you ask me, both sides are incredibly stupid and full of bullshit.


If you weren't talking about Southpark but instead of Himegoto, I hated how they repeated the same hackneyed joke over and over and downplayed a very serious issue of sexual harassment, this time on a guy who happened to look like a girl. Seriously? We don't need this.
Posted 6/19/16
PV listing man I want clarification on something.
When you say this what the fuck do you actually mean by that?

We don't need this.


Do you mean there should be less of this?
Do you mean you think it shouldn't exist?
Either way, I disagree but the last one would be what I consider immoral.
PV chill out. Is just a show with its own sense of humor. Hate or love it, doesn't make a difference in the real world.
8490 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Imoutoland!
Offline
Posted 6/19/16
You still didn't refute anything.
Posted 6/19/16 , edited 6/19/16

PeripheralVisionary wrote:

You still didn't refute anything.


Jesus PV you are missing the point. I didn't refute anything because is a fucking opinion dude. I can't change how you feel nor did I try to. I stated my opinion of your opinion. I didn't say you are wrong or right. I simply engage you in a conversation. Also, you avoided my question. You know what? Fuck it! You are impossible. I just take mental note of not talking about this with you never again. Not offense but from my perspective, you are trying to force a morality and political agenda into a fictional show. That just wrong in my opinion.
8490 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Imoutoland!
Offline
Posted 6/19/16

KarenAraragi wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:

You still didn't refute anything.


Jesus PV you are missing the point. I didn't refute anything because is a fucking opinion dude. I can't change how you feel nor did I try to. I stated my opinion of your opinion. I didn't you are wrong or right. I simply engage you in a conversation. Also, you avoided my question. You know what? Fuck it! You are impossible. I just take mental note of not talking about this with you never again. Not offense but from my perspective, you are trying to force a morality and political agenda into a fictional show. That just wrong in my opinion.


No, was talking to CreatorTheta.
Posted 6/19/16

PeripheralVisionary wrote:


KarenAraragi wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:

You still didn't refute anything.


Jesus PV you are missing the point. I didn't refute anything because is a fucking opinion dude. I can't change how you feel nor did I try to. I stated my opinion of your opinion. I didn't you are wrong or right. I simply engage you in a conversation. Also, you avoided my question. You know what? Fuck it! You are impossible. I just take mental note of not talking about this with you never again. Not offense but from my perspective, you are trying to force a morality and political agenda into a fictional show. That just wrong in my opinion.


No, was talking to CreatorTheta.


PV You need to quote or say who you are talking too. Anyway, I am done with this.
5974 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Terra Australis (...
Offline
Posted 6/21/16

lorreen wrote:


CreatorTheta wrote:
You. Are. An. Idiot.


Direct insults to other users are in violation of CR's site rules. It's fine to disagree; it is not appropriate here to demean the person you are arguing with.

You also have been completely messing up quotes so it's hard to decipher who said what. Please take more care when quoting, and insert the appropriate tags.

I'll be doing some cleanup, but if you continue with such posts (insulting; being exceedingly careless with failure to use quote tags correctly) I'll just delete them.



You can't insult people here?

(Sighs, the great concept known as freedom of speech isn't valued here, might as well just not go to the CrunchyRoll forums. Infact, I think I will just leave them, no point in have my speech censored because people might get offended.)
One Punch Mod
85800 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 6/22/16 , edited 6/22/16

PeripheralVisionary wrote:



Sexual Harassment: The Animation (Anime is Himegoto if you didn't know.)

Seriously guys? This anime is travesty. A complete and utter crime against humanity. We lament over how anime "objectifies" women to mere romantic and sexual objects, from to the notorious Eiken to the more popular High School DxD (Which had a protagonist that did skirt some sexual harassment issues, but I digress.) Yet when it comes to the topic of cross dressers, transgenders, and unfortunately a great deal of men, sirens don't go off automatically. Yet I ask you this. Did anything, most anything the student council did to Hime, occur with Hime's consent? No, it did not. Yet we are unfortunately subjected to the constant abuse and sexual degradation of Hime, whose only sin was being a cuter "girl" than they were. It isn't funny at all. Yet most people find it funny, cause LOL transgenders, cross dressers, and the such. It's just hypocrisy at best to decry anime for being sexist against women yet enjoying this mean spirited exercise into debauchery. You may be saying "It's just an anime", and you're right, it is just an anime. Yet as women are thought to be more prone to the sexual excesses of the world, so are those who skirt the line between man and woman, those like Hime or Alluka Zoldyck from HxH or the Okama from Gintama.

Isn't it too much to ask for comedy that doesn't demean these people as yet another joke to be had?

Though to defend this anime, I watched the ending and was fairly impressed with Hime demanding respect. That doesn't redeem the previous episodes, but at least the show acknowledged that yes, it was sexual harassment, and yes, it is important for the council to treat him like a human being.


I'm pretty solidly behind you on this. I dropped the show after giving it a 3 episode try because the harassment, played for laughs, was very, very off-putting and not at all funny to me. There have been a couple other shows I've dropped because they spend so much time getting cheap laughs from harassment that I find continuing to watch to be quite unpleasant, besides which I'd feel almost collaborative if I continued watching.

I think I have more to say, but I'm having time finding the words to articulate it all, and that's why I haven't even said as much as this ealier--kept thinking I'd find time for a more thoughtful, comprehensive response. But a small bit of my thoughts is better than nothing I guess, and maybe dialog will prompt me a bit more.

So yeah, humiliation-humor is completely not my thing, and when it's got gender stuff all mixed up in it, it's especially icky.
Dragon
58342 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M
Online
Posted 6/22/16

CreatorTheta wrote:

You can't insult people here?

(Sighs, the great concept known as freedom of speech isn't valued here, might as well just not go to the CrunchyRoll forums. Infact, I think I will just leave them, no point in have my speech censored because people might get offended.)


You might find this of interest. Specifically:

3) Be respectful of other users and assume goodwill. Don't insult other users; don't troll, don't flame, don't offer up flamebait.


You're free to say what you want in your own home. When you visit others' homes, they're free to ask you not to do certain things, or to show you the door if you insist on doing things they asked you not to. Arguing ideas is more useful than attacking people anyway, why not go that direction?
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.