First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
Post Reply Why are people judgmental on what others wear?
Posted 6/21/16 , edited 6/21/16


Nah man. You should be able to look like a slob wherever and whenever. *Sarcasm*

9805 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / Johnstown, PA, USA
Offline
Posted 6/21/16

Ryulightorb wrote:



Formulating opinions is fine but you need to be logical about it judging someone based on first impressions alone is the opposite of logical.

I have seen some people and thought my god that guy looks like a dickhead but I never say it or treat them like they are one because to do so would be illogical as I don't have enough Data to judge them on.

Is it that hard to be logical about it....I never can understand how people can judge based on first impression alone



Pardon me, but I see no logic in expecting everyone to curtail to the notion of supposed "politeness" to spare hurt feelings. Instead, I see it as it is; a defense against perceived emotional pain, and sympathy. I accept that it is decidedly foolhardy to uphold the notion that an emotional species such are ourselves can truly strip away the basic instinct of evaluating other humans by what is right in front of our eyes.


P.S. I briefly broke the quotes.
20927 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Offline
Posted 6/21/16

Elvikun wrote:


Ryulightorb wrote:


Elvikun wrote:


Ryulightorb
-snip-

Well just because to you it seems like they have no self respect doesn't mean they don't as what is self respectable is up to opinion


Yeah, sorry, but there are certain combos of clothes which when worn in public without good reason (like your house suddenly burning down or you being homeless), just objectively scream that the person either has no self respect or that they are mentally challanged. There are bad clothes and then there are the clothes noone should wear in public.

Goos starting example would be plastc crocs with giant, dirty looking socks, pulled as high as socks can go. Men with colorfull shorts so short their balls hang out a little bit. Women with yoga pants and fluffy-fake-fur tops... SO many things.


Well that's your opinion however it's kind of dickies to judge people just because to you it's not self respecting.


If you work hard to present yourself as crap, you cannot possibly expect people treating you as anything other than crap?
That is the truth and it always was. We use clothes to give clue to others about who and what we are ever since we first started using clothes. How am I a dick for observing this, dare I say it, reality?


Because "crap" is subjective to opinion and one should not be treated like crap because others think their clothing is crap.
Observing it and thinking it is fine but if you treat someone like shit because their opinion of self respect is different then your own then you are being worse then them.

You treat someone based on their actions not their looks imo
5612 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Outer Orbit
Offline
Posted 6/21/16

PrinceGrimm wrote:



Nah man. You should be able to look like a slob wherever and whenever. *Sarcasm*



No sarcasm, actually, that is exactly the point. You should look like a slob at any time you wish to, but at the same time, you cannot seriously turn around and go "Why would you possibly think I'm a slob?!" while menacingly scratching your crotch. :D
Banned
17503 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 6/21/16

Ryulightorb wrote:



They are dead I care for them but they are dead they can't exactly care how I'm dressed and even if they did could they wouldn't care.
I show respect through my actions not my clothing suits aren't exactly something I would want people turning up to my funeral in.


Mate you 19 yes and you still haven't figured out funerals aren't for the dead? They are a ceremony meant to offer comfort to the living family and friends of the deceased. And part of that ceremony is a dress code, showing up in a anime t-shit and stonewashed jeans while everyone else is in their black suits and dresses sends the wrong kind of message. And at best will offend those around you.

At times we must play to the human nature in all of us. And that sometimes means obeying a dress code. And besides they are only a few pieces of extra fabric that will be worn for a few hours. Sometimes clothes are more then a way to hide our cock and balls or tits and vaginas from showing . They serve purposes beyond the work of the tailor or the machine that made them.

And that is why people judge others based on their clothing. A soldier's uniform shows his occupation, a banker's suit shows his professionalism, a basketball player's jersey shows what team he plays for, and etc.
20927 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Offline
Posted 6/21/16

aeb0717 wrote:


Ryulightorb wrote:



Formulating opinions is fine but you need to be logical about it judging someone based on first impressions alone is the opposite of logical.

I have seen some people and thought my god that guy looks like a dickhead but I never say it or treat them like they are one because to do so would be illogical as I don't have enough Data to judge them on.

Is it that hard to be logical about it....I never can understand how people can judge based on first impression alone



Pardon me, but I see no logic in expecting everyone to curtail to the notion of supposed "politeness" to spare hurt feelings. Instead, I see it as it is; a defense against perceived emotional pain, and sympathy. I accept that it is decidedly foolhardy to uphold the notion that an emotional species such are ourselves can truly strip away the basic instinct of evaluating other humans by what is right in front of our eyes.


P.S. I briefly broke the quotes.


It's easy to not be that way though it's a choice to be like that.
Now I understand why people do it as they are emotional over logical however by the same standards if you are treating someone badly because of how they dress then that makes you as bad as them if not worse.

I never understand the idea to be polite either I just think logically judging and treating people over emotionally is better in many way but that's just my opinion at the end of the day
Posted 6/21/16 , edited 6/21/16
"Don't judge a book by its cover"

Ok man, you see the shady guy behind the 7/11? Yeah, don't judge him based on looks, go make friends with him! Only scumbags judge based on appearance and first impressions.

Edit: Obligatory statement indicating sarcasm to avoid confusion
20927 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Offline
Posted 6/21/16

aeb0717 wrote:


Ryulightorb wrote:



Formulating opinions is fine but you need to be logical about it judging someone based on first impressions alone is the opposite of logical.

I have seen some people and thought my god that guy looks like a dickhead but I never say it or treat them like they are one because to do so would be illogical as I don't have enough Data to judge them on.

Is it that hard to be logical about it....I never can understand how people can judge based on first impression alone



Pardon me, but I see no logic in expecting everyone to curtail to the notion of supposed "politeness" to spare hurt feelings. Instead, I see it as it is; a defense against perceived emotional pain, and sympathy. I accept that it is decidedly foolhardy to uphold the notion that an emotional species such are ourselves can truly strip away the basic instinct of evaluating other humans by what is right in front of our eyes.


P.S. I briefly broke the quotes.



It's easy to not be that way though it's a choice to be like that.
Now I understand why people do it as they are emotional over logical however by the same standards if you are treating someone badly because of how they dress then that makes you as bad as them if not worse.

I never understand the idea to be polite either I just think logically judging and treating people over emotionally is better in many way but that's just my opinion at the end of the day
20927 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Offline
Posted 6/21/16

PrinceGrimm wrote:

"Don't judge a book by its cover"

Ok man, you see the shady guy behind the 7/11? Yeah, don't judge him based on looks, go make friends with him! Only scumbags judge based on appearance and first impressions.


I have had a guy all tattoos looked like he would mug someone walk up to me at midnight once I didn't judge him on his looks he was a nice man just looking for his dog
20927 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Offline
Posted 6/21/16

Ranwolf wrote:


Ryulightorb wrote:



They are dead I care for them but they are dead they can't exactly care how I'm dressed and even if they did could they wouldn't care.
I show respect through my actions not my clothing suits aren't exactly something I would want people turning up to my funeral in.


Mate you 19 yes and you still haven't figured out funerals aren't for the dead? They are a ceremony meant to offer comfort to the living family and friends of the deceased. And part of that ceremony is a dress code, showing up in a anime t-shit and stonewashed jeans while everyone else is in their black suits and dresses sends the wrong kind of message. And at best will offend those around you.

At times we must play to the human nature in all of us. And that sometimes means obeying a dress code. And besides they are only a few pieces of extra fabric that will be worn for a few hours. Sometimes clothes are more then a way to hide our cock and balls or tits and vaginas from showing . They serve purposes beyond the work of the tailor or the machine that made them.

And that is why people judge others based on their clothing. A soldier's uniform shows his occupation, a banker's suit shows his professionalism, a basketball player's jersey shows what team he plays for, and etc.


I realise that but it's still not a big deal it's just clothing.

You wouldn't turn up in an anime shirt jeez I would show up in black shorts and a shirt.

If someone is offended by that then sorry for them it must suck to get offended over something small like that.

No one has been offended yet when I have gone to funerals.
17191 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 6/21/16
It's the first thing we see,

dress like a model gets perceived as a model

dress like a loser.....well....
5612 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Outer Orbit
Offline
Posted 6/21/16 , edited 6/21/16

Ryulightorb
Because "crap" is subjective to opinion and one should not be treated like crap because others think their clothing is crap.
Observing it and thinking it is fine but if you treat someone like shit because their opinion of self respect is different then your own then you are being worse then them.

You treat someone based on their actions not their looks imo

No, that is just not true and you know it. You judge people you already -know- based on their actions, but most people in the world you do not know and all the opinions you will have of them will be based on how they look at the moment you see them. And if they happen to look like crap, you will likely never get to -know- them at all.
It's not "just your opinion" it's how humanity works for thousands of years.

I mean, really, explain this to me, hypothethical situation: You sit across from me on a train. You wear typical homeless fashion, tattered, dirty clothes, carry multiple plastic bags with unspecified stuff inside and smell of alcohol and garbage. Why shoud I NOT assume you are homeless?

Posted 6/21/16 , edited 6/21/16


Someone died, and you think it's petty for them to get offended that you didn't at least put something decent together? Bro, like death is permanent, it may not seem like it unless you're really god damn close to it, but yeah.

Edit: ^ Because we have to know people well before we pass any judgement *obligatory sarcasm*
20927 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Offline
Posted 6/21/16

Elvikun wrote:


Ryulightorb
Because "crap" is subjective to opinion and one should not be treated like crap because others think their clothing is crap.
Observing it and thinking it is fine but if you treat someone like shit because their opinion of self respect is different then your own then you are being worse then them.

You treat someone based on their actions not their looks imo

No, that is just not true and you know it. You judge people you already -know- based on their actions, but most people in the world you do not know and all the opinions you will have of them will be based on how they look at the moment you see them. And if they happen to look like crap, you will likely never get to -know- them at all.
It's not "just your opinion" it's how humanity works for thousands of years.

I mean, really, explain this to me, hypothethical situation: You sit across from me on a train. You wear typical homeless fashion, tattered, dirty clothes and smell of alcohol and garbage. Why shoud I NOT assume you are homeless?



Well I'm not that way and I find it hard to understand why others are like that.

Clothing is a small part of what you judge people based on even then you keep in mind that their clothing doesn't show who they are as a person.

If I saw that sure I would assume they are homeless however it is also a possibility that they just wear shitty clothes like that because they don't see the big deal and they were out drinking.

I'm going to make a judgement to an extent sure that's normal however will I treat them badly or see them negatively? No because I don't have enough information to make a proper judgement I only have a small piece of information that can mean next to nothing
20927 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Offline
Posted 6/21/16

PrinceGrimm wrote:



Someone died, and you think it's petty for them to get offended that you didn't at least put something decent together? Bro, like death is permanent, it may not seem like it unless you're really god damn close to it, but yeah.

Edit: ^ Because we have to know people well before we pass any judgement *obligatory sarcasm*


Not petty but silly as you don't need a suit for it to be decent clothing an ironed shirt and jeans are decent.

No shit death is permanent I have a phobia of death and have faced it more then I would like to.

We don't know them sure but we should not pass full judgement based on only a tiny bit of information which is something I rarely do.

I will admit I have slipped up a few times but those times just remind me to keep trying to not judge people fully without adequate information
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.