First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply Black girl suffers neck injury supposedly 'by 3 white classmates', parents sue school for 3 million
14755 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/21/16


(Y'know, at this point, I read New headers and start taking bets who posted them?...)
13131 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 6/21/16
So does anyone actually understand this scenario? Maybe I'm just not familiar with "rope swings" of this type, but I am having trouble actually picturing what happened, intentional or not, and the picture in the article doesn't really clear things up.
runec 
28244 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/21/16

D4nc3Style wrote:
If she was really being bullied the mom should have filled out some complaints against the school, there would be records of it. If there is no proof, it's just her word.

If my daughter was being bullied at a school I'd make complaints and make sure she didn't keep going to that school. I wouldn't keep her there.


Oh come on. She did complain and there are records of it. Try reading the story the Daily Fail links instead of relying on the Daily Fail itself.

There's no way she received this level of injuries in a fluke accident conveniently witnessed by no one except the students that had been bullying her for months. You don't get a rope burn around your neck from a rope that isn't being held taunt. Nevermind one that severe.

And that's before you get in to how utterly the school has dropped the ball in terms of negligence. The students were unsupervised ( despite the bullying complaints ), they didn't notify the mother of the injuries despite the severity and the only reason she even got any medical attention is because one of the chaperone parents happened to be a doctor. At which point the school figured a couple painkillers and some Vaseline were sufficient treatment for that severe an injury. Injuries the hospital felt were significant enough to warrant a CT scan, antibiotics and an inhaler.

The school dean trying to cover her ass by immediately emailing mom the day the kids got back from the trip makes it even worse.



runec 
28244 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/21/16 , edited 6/21/16

sundin13 wrote:
So does anyone actually understand this scenario? Maybe I'm just not familiar with "rope swings" of this type, but I am having trouble actually picturing what happened, intentional or not, and the picture in the article doesn't really clear things up.


The swing has a rope connected to it that you pull to give said swing, well, swing:



The school is alleging that the rope you see on the ground was being pulled back by students to get the swing going. Then when they let go of it, it magically wrapped itself around the girl's neck from behind and dragged her to the ground.
13131 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 6/21/16

runec wrote:


sundin13 wrote:
So does anyone actually understand this scenario? Maybe I'm just not familiar with "rope swings" of this type, but I am having trouble actually picturing what happened, intentional or not, and the picture in the article doesn't really clear things up.


The swing has a rope connected to it that you pull to give said swing, well, swing:

The school is alleging that the rope you see on the ground was being pulled back by students to get the swing going. Then when they let go of it, it magically wrapped itself around the girl's neck from behind and dragged her to the ground.


...that makes no sense. To be fair, I don't really think it makes much sense the way the girl explained it either.

So, she was watching, then she felt the rope at the back of her neck. So essentially she was basically close-lined by it. But then how did it get around her neck? You would have to wind the rope around her or toss it in a loop around her neck, neither of which would be inconspicuous. She would almost certainly have seen something in those scenarios. How do you tie something around someone's neck and that person not even notice?

Whoever wrote this story did a terrible job at outlining the scenario @.@
715 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M
Offline
Posted 6/21/16
How does racism still exist... -_- smh world
runec 
28244 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/21/16 , edited 6/21/16

sundin13 wrote:
...that makes no sense. To be fair, I don't really think it makes much sense the way the girl explained it either.

So, she was watching, then she felt the rope at the back of her neck. So essentially she was basically close-lined by it. But then how did it get around her neck? You would have to wind the rope around her or toss it in a loop around her neck, neither of which would be inconspicuous. She would almost certainly have seen something in those scenarios. How do you tie something around someone's neck and that person not even notice?

Whoever wrote this story did a terrible job at outlining the scenario @.@


Well, it is the Daily Fail. >.>

It wasn't tied around her neck, just looped from behind by the looks of it. The rope is long enough for "a dozen" students to pull it at once according to the school. So it would have the length and slack to be thrown around her neck from behind while she was watching the swing itself. She had been helping pull the rope and said it would just fall slack to the ground when they let go of it. Not whiplash. It wouldn't whiplash unless it was elastic. She was dragged along the ground by it as well. Whiplash wouldn't do that. It would have to be secure around her neck and be being pulled.

Her not seeing it actually lends credence to her being attacked with it. If she was watching the swing itself and the rope was thrown over her head around her neck from behind and pulled her backwards ( thus away from the swing ) then it wasn't the force of the swing that pulled her. Force from the swing would have yanked her forwards. Provided the rope could magically wrap itself completely around her neck and be secure enough to pull her forwards that is.

But the injuries show the rope going around her neck from the front. There's no marks on the back of her neck. So she went backwards, not forwards. With enough force to tear her neck open and leave rope fiber embedded in the skin.
5612 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Outer Orbit
Offline
Posted 6/21/16 , edited 6/21/16
Sue the shcool, seems fair, it's at the very least neglect on their part. For 3 millions? Seems like "Oh, well this is crappy situation, better make some money off that.". Is it racial? Prove that instead of "Guilty until proven innocent". Getting tired of people pulling the race card on EVERY occasion they get.
Also Daily Mail. I should sue you, OP, for neglect.
1807 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 6/21/16
I really hate this BS about everything automatically being racist (or any -ist/-ism) because it happened to some non-white/minority individual.

No the school didn't handle it right, the parent should have been phoned when it happened to inform her of her child's injury. That's your suit right there, that the child was injured and the school didn't handle it correctly.

So she was bullied, that doesn't mean it was racist, it just means she wasn't liked by the other kids. Kids are a$$holes, they pick on anyone who is different than them, whether its because they are smarter, dumber, richer, poorer, quiet, loud, hyper or withdrawn. Are the kids in question for this incident the same one that were bullying her?

I don't know how this rope swing works, but shouldn't there be a safety area around the swing where if someones on it you don't enter the circle till its time to switch? Why was she so close to this swing that she could get caught up in this pulling rope? I believe it said the rope was dropped immediately after it went around her neck, so it is possible it was an accident, but that's up to the investigation to determine.


TL:DR The mom should be suing the school because they didn't handle the incident correctly, not because she assumes it was a racial attack. Automatically making everything a prejudice action just perpetuates the old thoughts about inequality.
Sogno- 
45684 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/21/16
i can't tell you how many times i was injured on a school/church/family visit/whatever trip and it wasn't reported to my mother. did she question every mark and bruise i had? no, and if i complained it was "too bad, deal with it".

people just overreact man.
1807 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 6/21/16

Sogno- wrote:

i can't tell you how many times i was injured on a school/church/family visit/whatever trip and it wasn't reported to my mother. did she question every mark and bruise i had? no, and if i complained it was "too bad, deal with it".

people just overreact man.


Hahaha, I'm picturing you standing in front of a standard chain swing and getting kicked by the kid on the swing and you parents saying, "Well why were you standing so close to the swing if you didn't want to get kicked."

Ahh proper old school parenting.
24536 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 6/21/16
Race race race it will never end people just can't be people...if it's not race then it's religion or sexual preference or politics or income my gosh someone's right are always being violated. I'm not gonna say it was racially motivated at this time but I will say negligence on the school and staff that was there. No one wants there child to be hurt intentional or not being hurt is being hurt....sheesh
41649 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 6/21/16 , edited 6/21/16
Why would you attach a rope to a swing in the first place? And if they're referring to a 'rope swing', as in a swing made of rope, then how the hell could you 'choke' or injure someone with one of those enormous things, if anything the person who is on the swing would be more likely to injure themselves....

like, wut even is this, it's very nonsensical and doesn't even sound real. i'm totally against racism and bullying, but this story is inconsistent as f sounding
Banned
17503 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 6/21/16
Ya know at this point I am beginning to think the word suing is unique to American English. Since I can't go one bloody hour without hearing the word out of American News outlets and websites.
4704 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Online
Posted 6/21/16

runec wrote:


D4nc3Style wrote:
If she was really being bullied the mom should have filled out some complaints against the school, there would be records of it. If there is no proof, it's just her word.

If my daughter was being bullied at a school I'd make complaints and make sure she didn't keep going to that school. I wouldn't keep her there.


Oh come on. She did complain and there are records of it. Try reading the story the Daily Fail links instead of relying on the Daily Fail itself.

There's no way she received this level of injuries in a fluke accident conveniently witnessed by no one except the students that had been bullying her for months. You don't get a rope burn around your neck from a rope that isn't being held taunt. Nevermind one that severe.

And that's before you get in to how utterly the school has dropped the ball in terms of negligence. The students were unsupervised ( despite the bullying complaints ), they didn't notify the mother of the injuries despite the severity and the only reason she even got any medical attention is because one of the chaperone parents happened to be a doctor. At which point the school figured a couple painkillers and some Vaseline were sufficient treatment for that severe an injury. Injuries the hospital felt were significant enough to warrant a CT scan, antibiotics and an inhaler.

The school dean trying to cover her ass by immediately emailing mom the day the kids got back from the trip makes it even worse.





I bet his email was something along the lines of "it's just a prank, bro"

First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.