First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply There's something that's been bugging me about One Piece.
42443 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 6/21/16

electricdoomfire wrote:

well, there are more good pirates than there are good marine in one piece so your argument makes sense. If oda didn't want the pirates to be perceived as good, then luffy might have been a marine, but he was a pirate. I'm surprised that people didn't already think this


Thanks.
1231 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / ya mum's house
Offline
Posted 6/21/16
you should be wondering what the one piece even is. I mean, at this point in the show, I don't really care what it is. I'm more concerned with luffy fighting the four emperors later
42443 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 6/21/16

electricdoomfire wrote:

you should be wondering what the one piece even is. I mean, at this point in the show, I don't really care what it is. I'm more concerned with luffy fighting the four emperors later


Trust me, I'm wondering what the One Piece is.
14990 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Norway
Offline
Posted 6/21/16
No I never thought about this holy shit
7051 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / California
Offline
Posted 6/21/16 , edited 6/21/16
Concerning who is actually good and who is actually evil it comes down to perspective but overall Doflamingo said it best during the war in Marineford:

“Pirates are evil? The Marines are righteous? These terms have always changed throughout the course of history! Kids who have never seen peace and kids who have never seen war have different values! Those who stand at the top determine what's wrong and what's right! This very place is neutral ground! Justice will prevail, you say? But of course it will! Whoever wins this war becomes justice!”

Pirates are not inherently "good guys" but the Celestial dragons are tyrants and the WG who serves them mostly uses oppression on the citizens like you said. Though there are bad pirates y'know such as Arlong. But of course there are also bad marines/government officials such as Akainu. And vice versa the Straw Hats do whatever they please but they've saved more people and islands because they chose to and marines like Tashigi and Corazon are pretty baller too.

Minus the super powers and what not, the One Piece world isn't so different from our own.
1231 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / ya mum's house
Offline
Posted 6/21/16

qualeshia3 wrote:


electricdoomfire wrote:

you should be wondering what the one piece even is. I mean, at this point in the show, I don't really care what it is. I'm more concerned with luffy fighting the four emperors later


Trust me, I'm wondering what the One Piece is.


i bet oda doesn't even know what the one piece is. It is probably symbolic. He is probably going to pull some evangelion type deal later.
39423 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/21/16
Take my mast, Take my keel, Take me where I cannot sail. I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sea from me.
13568 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Winnipeg
Offline
Posted 6/21/16 , edited 6/21/16
Most of the pirates are a-holes, though.

The WG has Shichibukai and such because they simply can't defeat certain pirates once they reach a certain level of power and influence. If you were the WG, would you risk more Doflamingos popping up, or would a more sound strategy be to crush any upstart pirate crews before it goes that far?

It'd be nice if they just let the Straw Hats go about their business, but what happens if Luffy decides to turn a large island into some pirate party paradise for all his friends? They can't let someone that dangerous do as they please. When you think about it, he's a violent criminal who declares war every time he doesn't get his way. You either have to let him do whatever he wants, or get ready to fight him and his crew.

We cheer for the Straw Hats because they're usually up against war lords who everyone else is too afraid to touch, but the WG and marines aren't just oppressive jerks who don't like people to be free and have fun. It's just, they're in a world of hundreds of gangs and mob bosses, and they don't pardon internationally notorious criminals just because they're nice people. Plus, even if "good guys" like the Straw Hats get the One Piece, that still means conceding a huge amount of power and control to whoever gets it (whether it's a weapon of mass destruction, or enough wealth to challenge the Celestial Dragons, or whatever).

So, the main goal of the WG seems to be keeping the current power balance the same, because they know where everybody stands. For example, as long as everything stays the same, they know Charlotte Linlin is gonna have a bunch of babies and eat desserts, and they can just leave her alone. It's better to just go after the little punk pirate crews to prevent anyone worse from springing up.

So I'd say the pirates are the "bad guys," like 90% of the time, with the "good" pirates still posing a pretty extreme risk.
42443 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 6/21/16

NekobasuRider wrote:

Most of the pirates are a-holes, though.

The WG has Shichibukai and such because they simply can't defeat certain pirates once they reach a certain level of power and influence. If you were the WG, would you risk more Doflamingos popping up, or would a more sound strategy be to crush any upstart pirate crews before it goes that far?

It'd be nice if they just let the Straw Hats go about their business, but what happens if Luffy decides to turn a large island into some pirate party paradise for all his friends? They can't let someone that dangerous do as they please. When you think about it, he's a violent criminal who declares war every time he doesn't get his way. You either have to let him do whatever he wants, or get ready to fight him and his crew.

We cheer for the Straw Hats because they're usually up against war lords who everyone else is too afraid to touch, but the WG and marines aren't just oppressive jerks who don't like people to be free and have fun. It's just, they're in a world of hundreds of gangs and mob bosses, and they don't pardon internationally notorious criminals just because they're nice people. Plus, even if "good guys" like the Straw Hats get the One Piece, that still means conceding a huge amount of power and control to whoever gets it (whether it's a weapon of mass destruction, or enough wealth to challenge the Celestial Dragons, or whatever).

So, the main goal of the WG seems to be keeping the current power balance the same, because they know where everybody stands. For example, as long as everything stays the same, they know Charlotte Linlin is gonna have a bunch of babies and eat desserts, and they can just leave her alone. It's better to just go after the little punk pirate crews to prevent anyone worse from springing up.

So I'd say the pirates are the "bad guys," like 90% of the time, with the "good" pirates still posing a pretty extreme risk.


Apart feel like there are only bad pirates because some of them take the whole "freeing themselves from the WG" too far. Good pirates are a rarity and that why WG can't see that. Pirates like Luffy, even though they are good, are still pirates in their eyes. If anything Luffy is more a hero than a bad guy.

This is just a simple thought though. I won't know the truth until Oda pull out something.
42443 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 6/21/16

C-Tundra wrote:

Concerning who is actually good and who is actually evil it comes down to perspective but overall Doflamingo said it best during the war in Marineford:

“Pirates are evil? The Marines are righteous? These terms have always changed throughout the course of history! Kids who have never seen peace and kids who have never seen war have different values! Those who stand at the top determine what's wrong and what's right! This very place is neutral ground! Justice will prevail, you say? But of course it will! Whoever wins this war becomes justice!”

Pirates are not inherently "good guys" but the Celestial dragons are tyrants and the WG who serves them mostly uses oppression on the citizens like you said. Though there are bad pirates y'know such as Arlong. But of course there are also bad marines/government officials such as Akainu. And vice versa the Straw Hats do whatever they please but they've saved more people and islands because they chose to and marines like Tashigi and Corazon are pretty baller too.

Minus the super powers and what not, the One Piece world isn't so different from our own.




Now I'm getting a feeling that the One Piece might not only lead to the destruction of the WG but the Celestial Dragons as well.

Some pirates are good while others are just terrible while the CD(Celestial Dragons) are just heartless. Although, Doflamingo's father was a different type of CD along with his mother.
42443 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 6/21/16

electricdoomfire wrote:


qualeshia3 wrote:


electricdoomfire wrote:

you should be wondering what the one piece even is. I mean, at this point in the show, I don't really care what it is. I'm more concerned with luffy fighting the four emperors later


Trust me, I'm wondering what the One Piece is.


i bet oda doesn't even know what the one piece is. It is probably symbolic. He is probably going to pull some evangelion type deal later.


I hope Oda does know what the One Piece is and not pull some last minute crap on the fans.
7802 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 6/22/16
Yeah, that's a part of the reason why I continue to like One Piece. It seems like Oda adds in social commentary throughout various arcs. He doesn't put it in your face though, which can make it harder to see, but keeps the series out of controversy.
56915 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / NY
Offline
Posted 6/22/16
You know what bugs me about 1Piece. They spend hundreds of episodes looking for one piece when they can just go to KFC and get a 3 piece combo with 2 sides for $5.99.
715 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M
Offline
Posted 6/22/16
One Piece is about blurring the lines between "good" and "bad". Not every pirate is "bad" and not every marine is "bad" also. There are good and bad people on all sides in the story. It would be childish to label the pirates, world govt, or revolutionary army as simply "good" or "bad", because they all have their fair share of good and bad people.
715 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M
Offline
Posted 6/22/16

electricdoomfire wrote:


qualeshia3 wrote:


electricdoomfire wrote:

you should be wondering what the one piece even is. I mean, at this point in the show, I don't really care what it is. I'm more concerned with luffy fighting the four emperors later


Trust me, I'm wondering what the One Piece is.


i bet oda doesn't even know what the one piece is. It is probably symbolic. He is probably going to pull some evangelion type deal later.



You're underestimating Goda's writing level. Sorry i'm a big fanboy but just wait and see, Goda never dissapoints
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.