First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Post Reply Worst Book Ever To Be Made Required Reading In School?
33 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/22/16
I haven't read any of the books mentioned in this thread so far, with the exception of 'War and Peace', though that was by choice (I was hospitalised for two months a few years back and ran out of books to read).

I was, however, forced to read 'Of Mice and Men', which was boring as hell. Same with 'Pride and Prejudice', 'The Woman in Black' and various 'Sherlock Holmes' stories. My English teachers always either loved me or hated me. I'm a 'high ability student', and I would write the most sarcastic essays which basically just insulted the novel eloquently enough to get me the highest mark in the class.
56905 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Planet Sanno
Offline
Posted 6/22/16
I get the sense, from talking to my young coworkers, that no one is reading the required reading (... in the U.S.). To be fair, though, many of the ideas introduced in those books are going to have no meaning for teenagers, anyway. Why ponder deep-rooted social problems or the mysteries of the universe when you are at the age where your overwhelming drive is sexsexsex all the time? ... Granted, this was true back when I was in high school, too, but some of us are natural readers. Most are not.

Banned
17503 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 6/22/16 , edited 6/22/16

rcsatcrunchyroll wrote:

I get the sense, from talking to my young coworkers, that no one is reading the required reading (... in the U.S.). To be fair, though, many of the ideas introduced in those books are going to have no meaning for teenagers, anyway. Why ponder deep-rooted social problems or the mysteries of the universe when you are at the age where your overwhelming drive is sexsexsex all the time? ... Granted, this was true back when I was in high school, too, but some of us are natural readers. Most are not.



Cause it never hurts to see what otherwise useless teen is actually useful and not just concerned with sticking his cock in the pretty girl he sits next to in trig and or vice versa. I mean ya never know when you might stumble across a diamond in the rough. And somebody who can see past the admittedly required part of the reading and into the concepts say 1984 is truly presenting is worth the discarding of the chaff that is the rest of the student body no?
8488 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Imoutoland!
Offline
Posted 6/22/16

Ranwolf wrote:


rcsatcrunchyroll wrote:

I get the sense, from talking to my young coworkers, that no one is reading the required reading (... in the U.S.). To be fair, though, many of the ideas introduced in those books are going to have no meaning for teenagers, anyway. Why ponder deep-rooted social problems or the mysteries of the universe when you are at the age where your overwhelming drive is sexsexsex all the time? ... Granted, this was true back when I was in high school, too, but some of us are natural readers. Most are not.



Cause it never hurts to see what otherwise useless teen is actually useful and not just concerned with sticking his cock in the pretty girl he sits next to in trig and or vice versa. I mean ya never know when you might stumble across a diamond in the rough. And somebody who can see past the admittedly required part of the reading and into the concepts say 1984 is truly presenting is worth the discarding of the chaff that is the rest of the student body no?


Hey, I am also a reader! My favorite book is Lolita by Vladamir Nakabov!
Banned
17503 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 6/22/16

PeripheralVisionary wrote:



Hey, I am also a reader! My favorite book is Lolita by Vladamir Nakabov!


And suddenly it makes a odd kind of sense....
17270 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / Croatia
Offline
Posted 6/22/16 , edited 6/22/16

PeripheralVisionary wrote:

Hey, I am also a reader! My favorite book is Lolita by Vladamir Nakabov!


I don't want to sound like a condescending asshole, but it irks me when someone gets a Russian name wrong. :<
8488 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Imoutoland!
Offline
Posted 6/22/16

Nalaniel wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:

Hey, I am also a reader! My favorite book is Lolita by Vladamir Nakabov!


I don't want to sound like a condescending asshole, but it irks me when someone gets a Russian name wrong. :<


Sorry, my parents were...Russian me to take out the trash. They sure were....Putin me on the spot. I should've been Stalin for time.
15271 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
58 / M
Offline
Posted 6/22/16
The OP was right, the champion has to be Catcher in the Rye.

When I saw the title of this thread I immediately thought of the most overrated book in the history of English literature classes. Don't get me wrong, I am sure Catcher in the Rye was a hip, relevant book in the 1950's, and maybe into the 1960's, but when I was forced to read it in the 1970's it was already obsolete. I cannot imagine the boredom of being forced to read it in a modern high school English class, with a teacher who thought it was a bore in the 1990's, faking enthusiasm from the Idiot's Guide to American Writing, and talking to a classroom of students who either love to read interesting books [minority] or hate reading anything over 50 pages [majority].

I think it is different if you are reading it of your own free will, because then you can admit you are looking at a distant past. It was before the major civil rights movements were successful. It is like reading Uncle Tom's Cabin, Pilgrim's Progress, the USA trilogy. A visit to an influential, but dead, period in history and literature.
17270 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / Croatia
Offline
Posted 6/22/16

PeripheralVisionary wrote:

Sorry, my parents were...Russian me to take out the trash. They sure were....Putin me on the spot. I should've been Stalin for time.


Worse than the joke is the fact that it made me chuckle... *sigh*
8758 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Right here
Offline
Posted 6/22/16

Nalaniel wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:

Sorry, my parents were...Russian me to take out the trash. They sure were....Putin me on the spot. I should've been Stalin for time.


Worse than the joke is the fact that it made me chuckle... *sigh*


Nah i want more Lenin.
56905 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Planet Sanno
Offline
Posted 6/22/16

PeripheralVisionary wrote:
Hey, I am also a reader! My favorite book is Lolita by Vladamir Nakabov!


Your spelling errors aside, PV, that is a book that should be required reading, IMO, all the more so because what people think it is about is quite different from what it is about.
8488 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Imoutoland!
Offline
Posted 6/22/16

rcsatcrunchyroll wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:
Hey, I am also a reader! My favorite book is Lolita by Vladamir Nakabov!


Your spelling errors aside, PV, that is a book that should be required reading, IMO, all the more so because what people think it is about is quite different from what it is about.


Indeed, Humbert whatsisface was quite compelling for an otherwise immoral individual.
18906 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / F / Reston, VA, USA
Offline
Posted 6/22/16
Since I attended church run schools my reading lists only contained some of the books others have mentioned. Any books containing things such as foul language, references to the Greek or Roman gods, references to supernatural creatures such as ghosts, or anthropomorphic animals that talk, or other things the church found inappropriate were replaced usually with things produced by the church.

Along about the time I was a Sophmore in high school, the book "Cultural Literacy: What Every American Needs to Know" by E.D. Hirsch, Jr. was published. This meant everyone was discussing the lists of books he provided that were supposed to create culturally literate adults. I wrote a paper my Junior year about how people who attended my church's schools could be considered far from the "culturally literate" because they censored so many things that people who attend public schools are exposed to.

Anyway, I found the reading produced by the church publishing house to be the least enjoyable reading I had to do in school. If I had to pick a book that I really hated that I'm glad was not required reading it would probably be Moby Dick.
2468 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 6/22/16
We were forced to read Lord of the Flies and the entire class complained that it was incredibly boring. The teacher decided to show us the movie, that sucked too.
10568 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/22/16
...What gets me is that I think of just about every single book or piece of literature mentioned here as 'required reading'.
Great Expectations was wonderful. It was slow, ponderous, and tedious, which was entirely the point of the book as it was about the old English legal system and the people caught in it.

Tried thinking of a book worse than what is currently on these required reading lists for several hours, and all I could think of was If I Did It, by O. J. Simpson, or one of the Barack Obama biographies written in the last 8 years.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.