First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
Post Reply Crunchyroll Announces Windows 10 Universal App!
7493 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / In a world that d...
Offline
Posted 6/23/16 , edited 6/23/16

Luchsen wrote:


KisaiGate wrote:

seriously, Flash needs to go, its ridiculous that Im watching anime in 2016 on the same technology I used to watch Mortal Kombat sprite animation parodies on Newgrounds in 2001 on.



Apart from the fact that I don't understand your argument in general: It's not the same technology as in 2001...

I'm still writing my documents on a computer and I'm still reading books. Ridiculous, indeed.



Flash has not changed fundamentally since the early 2000s when Macromedia still ran the show. There's a reason why it is buggy, unstable, resource heavy, prone to being exploited, and overall, abandoned by Adobe. This is the context of the argument. Software that has not seen proper streamlining and efficiency upgrades has no place on a site like Crunchyroll, especially since the web standards body has approved encryption in the use of HTML5 players.
42628 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
60 / M / Earth
Offline
Posted 6/23/16

SirGorilla wrote:
But seriously , what's the advantage for me on my desktop & HTPC over the website ?

It's not Flash, so you can uninstall or turn that off now, and since it uses the same hard-encoded subtitle files that other devices use, it doesn't require two coordinated streams to work together. In theory, there should be less of that freezing problem going on that some users experience.
24147 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26
Offline
Posted 6/23/16

SirGorilla wrote:

But seriously , what's the advantage for me on my desktop & HTPC over the website ?


There are some advantages for Crunchyroll as it is a single code base for them to maintain and target Windows 10 based phones, tablets, PC, XBox, HoloLens(!), and possibly other future form factors. This can reduce the complications and costs of maintaining what would traditionally require separate applications to be written and maintained for each device type.

For the user, the largest advantages are the ability to get away from flash which has well documented security and performance issues, a touch friendly UI for those using touch based devices, and probably most important for those on laptops and tablets is much improved battery life during video playback verses using the website through a browser. There are other advantages that might not be as directly important to the user such as the increased security of a Windows universal application verses a traditional Win32 program like Chrome or Firefox. It is just a better way of using a computer as long as the features you value from a website can be a part of the application experience.

7021 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37
Offline
Posted 6/23/16
The actual video part of the app is good. The user interface for non-touch screen blows, though. No scroll bars, using arrows keys is finicky, even when it works it doesn't highlight the currently selected object (like the episode on an episode list). I'm having trouble navigating because of that.
46380 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Sweden
Online
Posted 6/23/16
Been using it for a few hours now, seems really well made. However there's a few things that needs to be fixed.

First of all maybe a new interface that works better for desktop PC's. Then also a scrollbar on the side, would also like to have it pause and resume if you press the spacebar. On top of this I'd like to be able to work on another monitor without it being paused during use of certain other apps like the windows settings. I'd also like to have the option of choosing whatever resolution the video is playing back at
18060 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / Texas
Offline
Posted 6/23/16
Well I was watching Charlotte on the new app , but I had to switch to the web browser . It was missing too many subtitles . They would be speaking , but no translation . App still needs work .
12357 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / Oregon
Offline
Posted 6/23/16
Now maybe fix the Roku app?
12357 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / Oregon
Offline
Posted 6/23/16
Now maybe fix the Roku app?
24641 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Online
Posted 6/23/16

indorri wrote:

The actual video part of the app is good. The user interface for non-touch screen blows, though. No scroll bars, using arrows keys is finicky, even when it works it doesn't highlight the currently selected object (like the episode on an episode list). I'm having trouble navigating because of that.


Thisx1000.

Managed to make an app with a worse UI experience than Funi's. Color me impressed.
54764 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / San Fransisco Bay...
Offline
Posted 6/23/16
Great work! Like others have mentioned, I'd like to see a little overlay or something showing when my video quality changes / what it is initially.

I'd also love to see Manga added to the app

Thanks!
265 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/23/16

SirGorilla wrote:

Well I was watching Charlotte on the new app , but I had to switch to the web browser . It was missing too many subtitles . They would be speaking , but no translation . App still needs work .


Had the same happen to me while watching The Fruit of Grisaia. In addition to subtitles containing two average length sentences (or so) displaying for a grand total of two seconds or less.
18060 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / Texas
Offline
Posted 6/23/16
We'll just call it a work in progress . At least it's not like the Star Citizen game ....
18060 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / Texas
Offline
Posted 6/23/16

asharka wrote:


SirGorilla wrote:
But seriously , what's the advantage for me on my desktop & HTPC over the website ?

It's not Flash, so you can uninstall or turn that off now, and since it uses the same hard-encoded subtitle files that other devices use, it doesn't require two coordinated streams to work together. In theory, there should be less of that freezing problem going on that some users experience.


I got rid of my freezing problem by having an Ethernet wire installed in the living room . For some reason the flash player didn't like my N band router if I had it set to the higher setting (from 20 to 40mhz) .
7497 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / UAE
Offline
Posted 6/24/16
I'm liking how smooth it is. Very nice Thank you
4048 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/24/16
Finally I have been waiting years for this!
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.