Post Reply Which Anime should be watched first?
2296 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Shiganshina District
Offline
Posted 6/22/16 , edited 6/22/16
Hey guys,

So basically, over the year, I have had various sources that have recommended some anime to me.

I found out that recently, I don't have enough time for watching anime so I prepared a list of anime that have been recommended

The following anime made my list :

- Noragami

- Monster

- Shirobako

- Planetes

- Bokurano : Ours

- SNAFU

- Your Lie In April

I want to get your opinions on which shows you recommend from the list, which shows you advise to not watch and if you are lucky enough to have seen and liked all then, which order do you advise watching them?

I honestly can't decide what to watch and I'm not in the mood of wasting time on mediocre series. Obviously, you can't guarantee that what your personal choice will be good for me but just give me what you got.

Thanks!
135470 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / USA
Offline
Posted 6/22/16
My vote goes for Planetes, but those are all really really good choices. Can't go wrong if you ask me.
Posted 6/22/16
Your Lie in April
29118 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
83 / F / Bite the pillow.
Offline
Posted 6/22/16
Out of that group, my vote would be to watch Monster. I thought it was great.

If you find that you have more time, then maybe Noragami or Planetes.

Cheers.
16040 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 6/22/16
1. SNAFU
2. Your Lie in April
3. Monster

imo
2296 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Shiganshina District
Offline
Posted 6/22/16

Hairbelly wrote:

Out of that group, my vote would be to watch Monster. I thought it was great.

If you find that you have more time, then maybe Noragami or Planetes.

Cheers.


Seems logical. My issue is with anime like Noragami, Your Lie in April and SNAFU.

Are these type of anime capable of becoming classics in the anime world or are they just a good watch?

I'm really reluctant when It comes to going back a few seasons to watch shows and I'm only really sold on the premise of Monster and Planetes.

The point I'm trying to make is that I'm only willing to watch shows that one would rate as 8/10 or higher
29118 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
83 / F / Bite the pillow.
Offline
Posted 6/22/16 , edited 6/22/16

Cadet_Chu wrote:

Seems logical. My issue is with anime like Noragami, Your Lie in April and SNAFU.

Are these type of anime capable of becoming classics in the anime world or are they just a good watch?

I'm really reluctant when It comes to going back a few seasons to watch shows and I'm only really sold on the premise of Monster and Planetes.

The point I'm trying to make is that I'm only willing to watch shows that one would rate as 8/10 or higher

Great question, and definitely subjective of course as some might disagree with me here.

My opinion: shows like Noragami, Your Lie in April, and SNAFU are not classics, but are good enough to watch if you have the time. The shows on your list are better than average, IMO, but not what I would put in my own category of "classic".

To me a classic show breaks ground in a genre one way or another... either via script or animation or voice acting or originality. While I don't think Monster is a "classic" it's definitely a superb crime/drama, and I do think it's at least an 8/10 type of show ... whereas Noragami is more like a 6.5/10 show.
1225 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / ya mum's house
Online
Posted 6/22/16
I'd watch either monster or noragami
7401 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
48 / M / New England, USA
Offline
Posted 6/24/16
The one thing I'd have to ask is which genre do you prefer best? Sometimes that's the easist way to make a choice like this.

If you like crime/psychological best start with Monster.
If you like teen comedy best start with Snafu.
If you like fantasy/scifi-style comedy with a bit of drama best start with Noragami.
If you like it scientific and technical but told in a fun way best start with Shirobako.
If you like survival/scifi best start with Planetes.
If you like teen drama best start with Your Lie in April.
If you like young adult scifi/adventure/fantasy best start with Bokurano.

You've picked all great titles so there shouldn't be much of a problem but one suggestion (slight generic spoiler ahead with no specifics)...
mnmike 
19129 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 6/24/16

Cadet_Chu wrote:


Hairbelly wrote:

Out of that group, my vote would be to watch Monster. I thought it was great.

If you find that you have more time, then maybe Noragami or Planetes.

Cheers.


Seems logical. My issue is with anime like Noragami, Your Lie in April and SNAFU.

Are these type of anime capable of becoming classics in the anime world or are they just a good watch?

I'm really reluctant when It comes to going back a few seasons to watch shows and I'm only really sold on the premise of Monster and Planetes.

The point I'm trying to make is that I'm only willing to watch shows that one would rate as 8/10 or higher



My two cents on this question:

Noragami isn't a classic. It's a really good show, it does some interesting things, and it's worth watching... but I doubt in 10-15 years people will still be talking all that much about it. It's probably a 6-7/10

Your Lie in April is a half-step closer. In general, it's problem is that it is a very good example of that kind of show (romantic tear-jerker)... but most people seem to consider it a half-step below a couple other shows in that same genre: (see: Clannad: After Story). It may be a 7-8/10.

SNAFU, I think, IS a classic. It's the best and most original "after-school club/harem show" I think we've ever seen. SNAFU is the show that other shows in that genre will be compared to for years to come. It's a solid 9/10.

That being said, while you have a good list clearly solid "10/10" show on your list is Monster. It's not just the best psychological/crime-drama anime you'll see. It's up there with Silence of the Lambs as one of the best pieces of fiction in that genre that has ever been put onto film.
2296 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Shiganshina District
Offline
Posted 6/24/16 , edited 6/24/16

mnmike wrote

My two cents on this question:

Noragami isn't a classic. It's a really good show, it does some interesting things, and it's worth watching... but I doubt in 10-15 years people will still be talking all that much about it. It's probably a 6-7/10

Your Lie in April is a half-step closer. In general, it's problem is that it is a very good example of that kind of show (romantic tear-jerker)... but most people seem to consider it a half-step below a couple other shows in that same genre: (see: Clannad: After Story). It may be a 7-8/10.

SNAFU, I think, IS a classic. It's the best and most original "after-school club/harem show" I think we've ever seen. SNAFU is the show that other shows in that genre will be compared to for years to come. It's a solid 9/10.

That being said, while you have a good list clearly solid "10/10" show on your list is Monster. It's not just the best psychological/crime-drama anime you'll see. It's up there with Silence of the Lambs as one of the best pieces of fiction in that genre that has ever been put onto film.


Not going to lie. Asking this question didn't help me. I guess what I wanted to ask is : out of all these shows, which ones have you watched and wont recommend at all or just not bother recommending.

I really just want to watch shows that are amazing and worth being in someones top 20 for example

Hopefully, that helps.
7401 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
48 / M / New England, USA
Offline
Posted 6/24/16 , edited 6/24/16

Cadet_Chu wrote:



Not going to lie. Asking this question didn't help me. I guess what I wanted to ask is : out of all these shows, which ones have you watched and wont recommend at all or just not bother recommending.

I really just want to watch shows that are amazing and worth being in someones top 20 for example

Hopefully, that helps.


Well of the list you gave I also will be honest in saying I found YLIA really depressing at times and Shirobako just too slow at times. For me, on your list there are only 4 titles that would make my top 50 (I watch toooooo many anime to just have a top 10 lol...I feel guilty leaving titles out lol). At the top part of the list are Snafu and Noragami then Monster and Planetes. While the other 4 you mentioned would still make my top 50 they'd be somewhere in the 40-50 mark not the 1-20 like the other 3 titles.
You must be logged in to post.