First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Some Feminists" deface Bettie Page mural in Seattle
Posted 6/22/16

Ravenna homeowners have message for 'feminists' who defaced their pinup mural
SEATTLE. -- "Some Feminists" defaced a local mural of pinup icon Bettie Page and now the owners of that mural have a message for the people who did the damage.

If you commute along I-5, there's no missing the Queen of Pinups strategically painted on the side of this house in the Ravenna neighborhood. Jessica Baxter and her husband own the Bettie Page House. The mural was a 30th birthday gift from a friend to her husband. It's been a bit of a Seattle fixture for 10 years, and now, a decade later, someone has a problem with it.

"They were so wrong. I feel passionately they were so wrong, not only in what they did, but the meaning behind it," said Baxter.

Vandals splashed buckets of gray paint all over Page's stockings and as far up as they could reach. They also scribbled a message on the siding that reads, "Stop exploiting women's bodies," and it was signed by "some feminists."

Baxter explained if the group wanted to discuss changes to the mural, they would be open to that, but says this response was not the right way to go about creating change.

"It made me feel very sad and disheartened, because I consider myself a feminist," said Baxter.

Baxter and her husband have tried scraping the paint off, but so far nothing works. So for now, Baxter did the only thing she could and covered the vandals words with her own by writing "Autonomous sexuality is empowerment, telling a woman to cover up is oppression."

She thinks the only fix will be to strip the siding of the house, but she insists that the Queen of Pinups will reign again.

"Don't deface people's houses, that's super lame. If you don't agree, that's fine, take it to the internet like a normal person. Don't deface someone's house. People live here."
http://komonews.com/news/local/who-covered-up-bettie-homeowners-have-message-for-feminists-who-defaced-their-mural#


I am starting to view 3rd wave feminist as Marxist.
517 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Los Angeles
Offline
Posted 6/22/16 , edited 6/22/16
All the radicals give their movement or beliefs a bad name.
3057 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
The 2D World
Online
Posted 6/22/16
God damn it. Why? What's this supposed to accomplish? Is defacing something like this going to make people completely 180 their thoughts and think "Man, we demoralize woman!" I really hope this is just some pubescent kid's idea of a prank and not an actual feminazi doing this. How annoying.
Posted 6/22/16

jaykirbydudee wrote:

God damn it. Why? What's this supposed to accomplish? Is defacing something like this going to make people completely 180 their thoughts and think "Man, we demoralize woman!" I really hope this is just some pubescent kid's idea of a prank and not an actual feminazi doing this. How annoying.


You will think that feminist will know who this person is. But nooooo! they have to be ignorant buffoons.
Posted 6/22/16

ItsDat1Guy wrote:

All the radicals give their movement or beliefs a bad name.


What you say is true but this group of people seem to have a lot of them. A this point is a fucking cult.
517 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Los Angeles
Offline
Posted 6/22/16

KarenAraragi wrote:


ItsDat1Guy wrote:

All the radicals give their movement or beliefs a bad name.


What you say is true but this group of people seem to have a lot of them. A this point is a fucking cult.

Maybe they should all drink the kool-aid?

3057 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
The 2D World
Online
Posted 6/22/16

KarenAraragi wrote:


jaykirbydudee wrote:

God damn it. Why? What's this supposed to accomplish? Is defacing something like this going to make people completely 180 their thoughts and think "Man, we demoralize woman!" I really hope this is just some pubescent kid's idea of a prank and not an actual feminazi doing this. How annoying.


You will think that feminist will know who this person is. But nooooo! they have to be ignorant buffoons.


The thing is there are so many of them at this point on tumblr and 4chan i assume that I don't think it'll be possible to pinpoint a single person. or "some" as it says.
35025 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 6/22/16 , edited 6/22/16
*sigh*

No. A Marxist feminist would argue that the relationship between women and men resembles the relationship between a proletarian and a member of the bourgeois class, and that the only way to bring the situation aright would be to radically restructure a capitalist economic system to provide according to need and produce according to ability without regard to sex and including domestic work as labour to be compensated.

Splashing paint on a pinup mural, while ridiculous and vandalism, would do nothing to contribute to a Marxist feminist's objectives.
Posted 6/22/16 , edited 6/22/16

BlueOni wrote:

*sigh*

No. A Marxist feminist would argue that the relationship between women and men resembles the relationship between a proletarian and a member of the bourgeois class, and that the only way to bring the situation aright would be to radically restructure a capitalist economic system to provide according to need and produce according to ability without regard to sex and including domestic work as labour to be compensated.

Splashing paint on a pinup mural, while ridiculous and vandalism, would do nothing to contribute to a Marxist feminist's objectives.


You should ask before assuming that the reason and writing a paragraph about it. That was not the reason I call them Marxist. Nor do I feel the need to explain why.
35025 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 6/22/16 , edited 6/22/16

KarenAraragi wrote:

You should ask before assuming that the reason and writing a paragraph. That was not the reason I call them Marxist. Nor do I feel the need to explain why.


All I'm getting at is that this doesn't really attack the sort of problems Marxist feminists are most centrally worried about, and so doesn't likely reflect a broader embrace of Marxist feminist thought among the third wave.
Posted 6/22/16

BlueOni wrote:


KarenAraragi wrote:

You should ask before assuming that the reason and writing a paragraph. That was not the reason I call them Marxist. Nor do I feel the need to explain why.


All I'm getting at is that this doesn't really attack the sort of problems Marxist feminists are most centrally worried about, and so doesn't likely reflect a broader embrace of Marxist feminist thought among the third wave.


Listing I understand what you are saying. But I have my reasons. I could bring evidence to back up what I say. Make comparison between the two. But I not getting into that. Is an opinion that I will not justify to anybody.

Like could you drop it? Seriously all I did was say something. Not make an argument for it. You are free to say I am wrong and I am OK with that.
35025 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 6/22/16 , edited 6/22/16

KarenAraragi wrote:

Listing I understand what you are saying. But I have my reasons. I could bring evidence to back up what I say. Make comparison between the two. But I not getting into that. Is an opinion that I will not justify to anybody.

Like could you drop it? Seriously all I did was say something. Not make an argument for it. You are free to say I am wrong and I am OK with that.


Okay. Shifting gears, then, this was a senseless act of vandalism, and the people who perpetrated it should be prosecuted whether they're really feminists or not (it's kind of weird for the signature to be "some feminists").
48485 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Colorado
Offline
Posted 6/22/16 , edited 6/22/16
What "they" did was wrong and should be charged for trespassing and other charges that apply. I hope they do find them and make them pay for the damages.
16741 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Hoosierville
Offline
Posted 6/22/16
Your just starting to think that? They somehow try to protect the women body from being used as a sex object then go on slut/whore walks objectifying their bodies. They are a plague./
Posted 6/22/16

Rujikin wrote:

Your just starting to think that? They somehow try to protect the women body from being used as a sex object then go on slut/whore walks objectifying their bodies. They are a plague./


Weird I thought I was the only one who thought that.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.