First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
It seems like everyone's depressed these days.
Humms 
10561 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / CAN, ON
Offline
Posted 6/24/16

PrinceJudar wrote:



I completely understand wanting to slap sense into the overly melodramatic and those who are not genuine. It irritates me greatly some people think it's just being sad or critical of oneself.

However, not all depression is founded on horrific circumstance. Depression can often be the ailment of other mental illnesses and physical ailments. It can even be it's own neurological problem, like cases of chronic depression--a faulty neurological issue. There are even genetic links to probabilistic outcomes in offspring--even in the developmental environment. Certainly depression can arise from more objectively terrible life experiences--but that isn't always the case. Thresholds differ for individuals. Stress on the body or mind can trigger such a state--whether external or internal. In today's world, there are many reasons for people to be stressed.

Only so much empathy can be afforded to be given to others in the interest of our own well being. Our lives, at the end of the day, our own responsibility. That being said, one does not have to trample upon empathy in order not to offer it. You can be supportive or you can choose not to get involved.

Better to be safe than sorry and not downplay the issues of others.



In most cases it is, in most cases it's not, this is why I'm so critical on my opinion, because there isn't a solid outlook on the matter without bringing up one or the other. This is why I myself get irritated that people don't see depression as more than being sad and critical of oneself, just as you see it the opposite.

Of course there is a mental illness, something people are born with , something that branches into another issue as people's lives go on. There is no point in arguing this; there really isnt, it's fact.

Feeling sorry for people is in our nature, why? I never understood this, I thought humans were suppose to help eachother, not feel sorry for them; to pity them as such, to value their life so little in the state they are in that we feel sorry enough to help them. This is the way I think.

If someone needs help, believe me I'll help them, but I do not repeat myself, and depression doesn't go away with one try, they will listen, but it won't be consistent enough to get it through their heads. People should take words more serious instead of holding onto feelings they are so torn with. Does this mean I don't care about that person? Of course not, I'm just not going to waste my time repeating my words over and over again, I don't brain wash people, I try to make them re evaluate what they already know, and it is up to them to change their life for the better

To knowingly feel like you made an attempt to try and save someone, sure, feel that sense of pride and accomplishment, but I am not going to accept depression as a safety net for ones life goal to overcome it, it is a disease someone one way or another has accepted to live with without themselves taking the necessary steps on their own to achieve a meaningful life.

The coin is flipped whether you like it or not
22653 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 6/24/16

Humms wrote:

In most cases it is, in most cases it's not, this is why I'm so critical on my opinion, because there isn't a solid outlook on the matter without bringing up one or the other. This is why I myself get irritated that people don't see depression as more than being sad and critical of oneself, just as you see it the opposite.

Of course there is a mental illness, something people are born with , something that branches into another issue as people's lives go on. There is no point in arguing this; there really isnt, it's fact.

Feeling sorry for people is in our nature, why? I never understood this, I thought humans were suppose to help eachother, not feel sorry for them; to pity them as such, to value their life so little in the state they are in that we feel sorry enough to help them. This is the way I think.

If someone needs help, believe me I'll help them, but I do not repeat myself, and depression doesn't go away with one try, they will listen, but it won't be consistent enough to get it through their heads. People should take words more serious instead of holding onto feelings they are so torn with. Does this mean I don't care about that person? Of course not, I'm just not going to waste my time repeating my words over and over again, I don't brain wash people, I try to make them re evaluate what they already know, and it is up to them to change their life for the better

To knowingly feel like you made an attempt to try and save someone, sure, feel that sense of pride and accomplishment, but I am not going to accept depression as a safety net for ones life goal to overcome it, it is a disease someone one way or another has accepted to live with without themselves taking the necessary steps on their own to achieve a meaningful life.

The coin is flipped whether you like it or not


I don't disagree? I think you may have misread me a bit.



2446 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 6/24/16
I guess I'm pretty lucky (or rather spoiled) but I can't recall being in a prolonged state of depression. I'm usually cheerful and whenever I do feel down, I turn to my family or delicious food to lift my spirits.
Sogno- 
45722 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/24/16
technology
20845 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Online
Posted 6/24/16

PrinceJudar wrote:

This thread reminds me how little people understand the difference between sadness and depression.



Depression leads to suicide!
22653 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 6/24/16

Ryulightorb wrote:

Depression leads to suicide!


Not all those with depression are suicidal.



20845 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Online
Posted 6/24/16

PrinceJudar wrote:


Ryulightorb wrote:

Depression leads to suicide!


Not all those with depression are suicidal.





YET!

22653 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 6/24/16


That's not accurate at all.

2654 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / England
Offline
Posted 6/24/16 , edited 6/24/16

PrinceJudar wrote:


Ryulightorb wrote:

Depression leads to suicide!


Not all those with depression are suicidal.






Oh Judar, you took the words outa my mouth.

Depression is a strange one. I've suffered for around 13 years now, but am only very recently diagnosed. What I've learned is that I can be eloquent when I'm sad. Being sad (Like today) usually has a tangible reason.

When I have a real dip though, I couldn't for the life of me explain why it happens. My whole body feels sad (for lack of a better word), and I never really know why. If anything, I usually have no good reason whatsoever. Thankfully for me, it is usually extremely short lived. I know other people have a much harder time with it.

There's a very strange notion that depression can be graded on a scale. I don't think that's true. That said, I've never been truly suicidal and suspect I won't. I'm thankful for that!
20845 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Online
Posted 6/24/16

PrinceJudar wrote:



That's not accurate at all.




i dunno if you kill there families it becomes accurate?
9295 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Australia
Offline
Posted 6/24/16

PrinceGrimm wrote:



Well, this isn't entirely what I'm talking about, I mean to me it seems like everyone in depressed, because it seems like everyone in my social circle is depressed. You know, like young adults and teenagers?


Ah yeah well all young teenagers go through depression. I remember going through it sometimes for no apparent reason at all. Hormones and stuff. But it is a time in life where you're trying to fit in and a time where you could possibly be experiencing rejection or embarrassment, or failure, etc
But when you get older there are many other things that can cause depression and things to be depressed about.
Shit iam not even middle aged and yet i feel old and feel myself at times missing my past and feeling its a mid life crisis.
And i haven't even gone through the whole divorce and not being able to see your kids or been cheated on things..

In my youngher days my circle did not seem depressed but all kids go through depression. I did have a friend commit suicide though..
Now that iam in my thirties people in my circle seem way more depressed. Like i touched on earlier, finacial problems, missing the past, becoming out of shape and un fit, feeling like wastid the past/money, life not as fun, relationship or family troubles, work, etc.

I guess as a teen there is school and grades and bullies and the opposite sex and expectation and pressure from parents, other kids being more spolit than you, etc but it's really a time where life is pretty care and responsibility free so its funny how we all get down at that ages when life hasn't even begun to fuck you yet.
858 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
99 / F / In Your Heart
Offline
Posted 6/24/16
Phones/Internet access at an early age. Relationships at an early age. Parents always fighting/showing bad examples. I can see why
9295 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Australia
Offline
Posted 6/24/16

Mango-Monster wrote:

Phones/Internet access at an early age. Relationships at an early age. Parents always fighting/showing bad examples. I can see why


Yeah i didn't have any of that as a kid. In some ways i am envious, in other ways thankful.
And i guess the divorce rates and kids raised in broken homes and being raised by sinlge parents is alot higher now also.
Plus harder drugs are alot more common now a days.
Kids growing up younger/being sexually active younger (on average).

Posted 6/24/16

PrinceJudar wrote:

This thread reminds me how little people understand the difference between sadness and depression.



Depression leads to sadness
And sadness can cause depression though.
It's like.. closely related so pretty much same thing.

In my opinion..
One Punch Mod
85883 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 7/1/16
Closed because OP nuked
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.