First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Post Reply Britain leaving EU
37144 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/23/16

Kintor wrote:
For all the US's vaunted military power the truth is that the American public has little stomach for a protracted conflict in continental Europe, especially after the recent fiascos in Afghanistan and Iraq. Cynical as it sounds, it's much more convenient for US Presidents to get the soldiers of foreign powers to fight in the US's stead, as no votes are lost when a non-American dies. This means that unless Obama (and his successors) want to risk further deeply unpopular conflicts the US will need to keep the UK as an ally. I expect those trade agreements will be signed before too long.


I think you underestimate the USA's willingness to go to war. True, many of us are tired of invading and destabilizing Muslim countries. But a fight to defend the white Christians in Europe? Not a hard sell.
35035 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 6/23/16 , edited 6/24/16
It's going to take years to truly know if this will work out alright, but for the time being there are some very alarming preliminary signs.
Banned
17503 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 6/23/16

kinga750 wrote:


Kintor wrote:
For all the US's vaunted military power the truth is that the American public has little stomach for a protracted conflict in continental Europe, especially after the recent fiascos in Afghanistan and Iraq. Cynical as it sounds, it's much more convenient for US Presidents to get the soldiers of foreign powers to fight in the US's stead, as no votes are lost when a non-American dies. This means that unless Obama (and his successors) want to risk further deeply unpopular conflicts the US will need to keep the UK as an ally. I expect those trade agreements will be signed before too long.


I think you underestimate the USA's willingness to go to war. True, many of us are tired of invading and destabilizing Muslim countries. But a fight to defend the white Christians in Europe? Not a hard sell.


War has never been a hard sell in the US period. It's citizens may bitch and groan about it but they always send the armies out every time.
Posted 6/23/16

Kintor wrote:


runec wrote:

The US doesn't have to do anything. Its the UK that needs to go crawling around trying to negotiate new trade deals with former partners who have to deal with the economic fallout of their behaviour. No ones going to be thrilled. The money's already moving into Asian markets instead.

The US most certainly need to act and establish new trade agreements with Britain if it wants to maintain European security. Because now more then ever the EU is a failed project, unable to act as a counterbalance to a resurgent Russia under Vladimir Putin. This means that the US's best bet for maintain the balance of power is by backing the UK as it leaves the EU. Now is the time for Obama to concede that he made a mistake by supporting the remain campaign, as he acts for the sake of US foreign policy by supporting the UK in this new era.


Unless Russia decides to change places.
1807 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 6/23/16
Well considering its going to take at least 2 years for Britain to leave the EU there's plenty of time to get things settled.
runec 
28244 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/23/16

Kintor wrote:
The US most certainly need to act and establish new trade agreements with Britain if it wants to maintain European security. Because now more then ever the EU is a failed project, unable to act as a counterbalance to a resurgent Russia under Vladimir Putin. This means that the US's best bet for maintain the balance of power is by backing the UK as it leaves the EU. Now is the time for Obama to concede that he made a mistake by supporting the remain campaign, as he acts for the sake of US foreign policy by supporting the UK in this new era.


They voted to leave the EU, not NATO.

It'd be pretty ballsy of them to go to the US and demand the US save them from their own mistakes as a bargaining chip. I mean, if there's one thing the US loves its ultimatums from smaller countries. ;p

Kintor 
20420 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 6/23/16

Ranwolf wrote:

Mate it is a very simple numbers game, the EU has five times the amount of Regular forces troops then the UK, and nearly ten times the Primary Reserve troops then the UK. If I were the Americans I'd gladly support the EU over the UK by that sheer fact alone. Might as well support the foreign power that has most bodies in uniform if a land war in Europe broke out against the Russians. Not to mention the EU already has forces in place along the Russian border. The EU is more prepared for Russia then the UK will ever be.

Honestly mate the world is tired of the UK insisting it get it's own way. That is all this vote is, you Brits pretending you still rule the world, news flash your time has come and gone.

As I said before, I'm not from the UK. Rather, I'm someone from a Commonwealth Nation that takes a keen interest in British politics. Especially today, as the UK's decision to leave the EU has changed the fate of the whole world. The status quo you knew yesterday morning is gone, there's no turning back now.

Furthermore, as I've also said, the US can longer count on the EU is a regional power. The EU was already dragging itself towards collapse, the events of these past few years have simply sped-up the process. Already politicians in France and Holland are calling for their own national referendums, to break with the EU once and for all. This is the beginning of the end for the EU, now it's simply a matter of time before the EU is completely disbanded. Hence why it's in the US's best interests to play nice with the UK, when the dust settles the US is going to need an ally that can distance itself from the turmoil of continental Europe.
22333 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/23/16


maniackillah wrote: Tuesday:

I think they will be leaving. We will see if it is for better or for the worse. If they leave there will be a winner in this thread, although not to the topic of the thread sadly no one wins there. If they don't leave, reform is a long ways away and probably well beyond two years and the world will never know, just speculate.



VZ68 wrote: I don't think the Brits have the stones to leave, if they had the stones, they left the country already. Who knows, not impressed with Scotland after they wimped out.


Called it. Rolling stones...
Posted 6/23/16 , edited 6/24/16
I swear I hear someone in a Scottish accent go "You fokkin' bastards."
1807 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 6/23/16 , edited 6/23/16
Scotland will leave the UK. Didn't Wales also want independence? The EU will dissolve, and major changes will happen all over the world.

France and the Netherlands are calling for their own referendums. Others will probably follow suit, Greece will want to leave but can't afford to, so they'll sell themselves to Italy if they leave.
478 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / F / Lufkin Texas
Offline
Posted 6/23/16
NO Save us ALL
14755 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/23/16 , edited 6/23/16

runec wrote:
It'd be pretty ballsy of them to go to the US and demand the US save them from their own mistakes as a bargaining chip. I mean, if there's one thing the US loves its ultimatums from smaller countries. ;p


And the nasty habit of Americans to say "I TOLD you so..."


BlueOni wrote:

It's going to take years to truly know if this will work out alright, but for the time being there are some very alarming preliminary signs.


The (duh) chief of them being, who's going to be the first to say "Okay, Trumpbillies, HERE'S what being racist and isolationist gets you, watch their economy fall to pieces", without sounding like an easily attackable jerk about it.
And even then it probably "wouldn't count" because it was a foreign country, and they'd still be blinded by the whole "Keep out the smelly foreign refugees" issue.

I expect the US to lose their little isolationist tantrum and reason (and overspending campaign poverty) to prevail, but I also expected the vote would go through in the UK.
And why? Because the old stereotype that Brits are grumpy whine-indulging malcontents who get off on their frustration about a traditional and political system that's out of their hands by complaining about EVERYTHING in public doesn't quite seem to be that off the mark.
Well, here's what being a nation of 65 million big babies gets ya. Enjoy your ten-pound crumpets.
10481 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Birmingham, UK
Offline
Posted 6/23/16 , edited 6/24/16
I'm feeling pretty happy about it, we could have remained and stayed in the same fucked up state we're in or take a chance where things will either get better or worse but if you ask me we'll start getting better, a rough start for sure but in the long run we can start to prosper again
Posted 6/23/16

Kintor wrote:


Ranwolf wrote:

Mate it is a very simple numbers game, the EU has five times the amount of Regular forces troops then the UK, and nearly ten times the Primary Reserve troops then the UK. If I were the Americans I'd gladly support the EU over the UK by that sheer fact alone. Might as well support the foreign power that has most bodies in uniform if a land war in Europe broke out against the Russians. Not to mention the EU already has forces in place along the Russian border. The EU is more prepared for Russia then the UK will ever be.

Honestly mate the world is tired of the UK insisting it get it's own way. That is all this vote is, you Brits pretending you still rule the world, news flash your time has come and gone.

As I said before, I'm not from the UK. Rather, I'm someone from a Commonwealth Nation that takes a keen interest in British politics. Especially today, as the UK's decision to leave the EU has changed the fate of the whole world. The status quo you knew yesterday morning is gone, there's no turning back now.

Furthermore, as I've also said, the US can longer count on the EU is a regional power. The EU was already dragging itself towards collapse, the events of these past few years have simply sped-up the process. Already politicians in France and Holland are calling for their own national referendums, to break with the EU once and for all. This is the beginning of the end for the EU, now it's simply a matter of time before the EU is completely disbanded. Hence why it's in the US's best interests to play nice with the UK, when the dust settles the US is going to need an ally that can distance itself from the turmoil of continental Europe.

This right here made me think this. Oh for fuck sake you baster. Why is it always you basters like to start world wars. Good dammit you Europeans always drag the rest of the world wih your world wars.
turmoil of continental Europe.
3249 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Cheyenne, WY
Offline
Posted 6/23/16 , edited 6/23/16

iriomote wrote:


Hairbelly wrote:

S&P 500 futures drop -100 points or -5% post Brexit and go "limit down".



Woof.

Yeah.. All I'm going to say is thank god I'm a long way from considering retiring. I don't even want to think about my investments tomorrow.


Good thing I have yet to invest anything. Now might be a good time to start, get some securities while they're at rock-bottom and play the long game until the economy (hopefully) recovers
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.