First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply Can't watch videos because of idiotic popup
36 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/24/16 , edited 6/24/16
Every time I try to watch something, the site throws up a pop up window because I use adblocker. And the so called 'special message' it's supposed to show never airs and when I hit continue, nothing happens. How do I put a stop to that thing without disabling adblocker? I use adblocker for a very obvious reason. I prefer not to see ads and not to be potentially infected by malicious ads that disguise themselves as the genuine article. I'm sorry if that causes problems for the site-- at some point in the near future I'm hoping to start paying for a full membership again as the trial went reasonably well, but if this site is going to throw that crap up whenever I'm not logged on just because I use adblocker, then I don't think I can continue using this site as I am on a very old computer (I'm amazed it even works with the site at all) and I need to be careful with it as I don't want to see it crash and burn.
5612 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Outer Orbit
Offline
Posted 6/24/16 , edited 6/24/16
Well, if you are free user, it's kind of fair the site wants you to diable adblock. Not paying and not opting in for ads, might just as well pirate then.
You can just disable adblock for this one site in particular too, as far as I can remeber the ads aren't very brutal or long, mostly concern animation stuff too, and certainly won't addle you with spyware.
47 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Tucson AZ
Offline
Posted 6/25/16
eh no, i will just have to find another site, i left cable because i got sick of ads. wasting my time. and another thing adding to many in a video..
im online to watch videos not adds. (and i got sick of getting hit by viruses that adds gave me..

(at the time i only gone to 2 sites. gaia online years ago and youtube before they spammed ads and i gotten a crippling virus on my laptop.. (and slowed my laptop tomuch )
10589 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Rabbit Horse
Offline
Posted 6/25/16

Elvikun wrote:as far as I can remeber the ads aren't very brutal or long, mostly concern animation stuff too, and certainly won't addle you with spyware.


http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-955539/8-ads-about-dental-hygiene-in-one-video-is-overkill
http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-955663/10-minutes-of-ads
http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-867413/ads-take-forever-and-i-cant-skip-them

as for spyware/malware...CR uses flash, and everyone knows flash is ridden with bugs (perfect for malware that disguise as ads).
flash is so terrible, even the flash creator company Adobe discourages people from using it http://www.theverge.com/2015/12/1/9827778/stop-using-flash
5612 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Outer Orbit
Offline
Posted 6/25/16 , edited 6/25/16

namealreadytaken wrote:


Elvikun wrote:as far as I can remeber the ads aren't very brutal or long, mostly concern animation stuff too, and certainly won't addle you with spyware.


http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-955539/8-ads-about-dental-hygiene-in-one-video-is-overkill
http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-955663/10-minutes-of-ads
http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-867413/ads-take-forever-and-i-cant-skip-them

as for spyware/malware...CR uses flash, and everyone knows flash is ridden with bugs (perfect for malware that disguise as ads).
flash is so terrible, even the flash creator company Adobe discourages people from using it http://www.theverge.com/2015/12/1/9827778/stop-using-flash


Yeah, well, I was non-paying user for just about one month, quite some time back, and what I got was ads for manga and anime products. Actually, also ads for anime that is avaliable on CR, which I found somewhat odd. But regardless, show me the spyware and malware you got as direct result of using CR, because I would like to check that out and bring it up with the admins.

Or, you know, at the end of the day, you could just pay about the price of two cheesburgers, support site that tries to bring anime and manga to the west and japanese animation studios at the same time a tiny bit and never worry about anything like this again. Or, as I said before, you can pirate the anime just as well, if you have no moral problems with that, because we all know it is out there as soon as it airs. You have to realise the ads are there because it lets you and great many other people use the paid service for free. I'm sorry for being somewhat condescending, but you know, there is the good old "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth" which still rings pretty true.
10589 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Rabbit Horse
Offline
Posted 6/25/16

Elvikun wrote:Yeah, well, I was non-paying user for just about one month, quite some time back, and what I got was ads for manga and anime products. Actually, also ads for anime that is avaliable on CR, which I found somewhat odd. But regardless, show me the spyware and malware you got as direct result of using CR, because I would like to check that out and bring it up with the admins.

Or, you know, at the end of the day, you could just pay about the price of two cheesburgers, support site that tries to bring anime and manga to the west and japanese animation studios at the same time a tiny bit and never worry about anything like this again. Or, as I said before, you can pirate the anime just as well, if you have no moral problems with that, because we all know it is out there as soon as it airs. You have to realise the ads are there because it lets you and great many other people use the paid service for free. I'm sorry for being somewhat condescending, but you know, there is the good old "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth" which still rings pretty true.


flash has several years of bugs/exploits, so it's pretty justifiable for users to be concerned about CR using that broken software.
whether there was a case in CR is irrelevant. maybe there wasn't one, but there's always the possibility that a malware will pop up in the future. unless they manually check each advertising, which i doubt.

i never said i was against ads (something prime members seem to always brings up when people rightfully complain about excessive ads). "ads are needed to keep the site afloat!" I understand that, as a free service (in the sense as no payment is technically necessary to view certain content (unless you're in certain regions which require a premium membership), it is necessary for the site to acquire revenue in some way, so ads is expected. no-one is complaining about ads itself. rather, people are complaining about excessive ads. heck, even hulu has a far lower ad / content ratio compared to CR.

"well, just get a premium membership then"
telling people that the service is free, and then offering less than acceptable service with a big "PAY ME" message for 10 minutes or more every time you try to watch a 20-minute video. i understand why they do this, but i can't say i agree with this method.

maybe some people will give-in and pay, but others might give up entirely on the site and rely on piracy instead.
i can't honestly say that the excessive advertising is not encouraging people to do the latter.

CR could instead let free users complete surveys / quizzes / watch ads to obtain "points", and let them use said points to watch videos without the ads. this would not feel intrusive, and i suspect free users would welcome it. at least, they'll be able to enjoy watching a video without interruptions, and CR would still be paid for it.
5612 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Outer Orbit
Offline
Posted 6/25/16

namealreadytaken wrote:


Elvikun wrote:Yeah, well, I was non-paying user for just about one month, quite some time back, and what I got was ads for manga and anime products. Actually, also ads for anime that is avaliable on CR, which I found somewhat odd. But regardless, show me the spyware and malware you got as direct result of using CR, because I would like to check that out and bring it up with the admins.

Or, you know, at the end of the day, you could just pay about the price of two cheesburgers, support site that tries to bring anime and manga to the west and japanese animation studios at the same time a tiny bit and never worry about anything like this again. Or, as I said before, you can pirate the anime just as well, if you have no moral problems with that, because we all know it is out there as soon as it airs. You have to realise the ads are there because it lets you and great many other people use the paid service for free. I'm sorry for being somewhat condescending, but you know, there is the good old "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth" which still rings pretty true.


flash has several years of bugs/exploits, so it's pretty justifiable for users to be concerned about CR using that broken software.
whether there was a case in CR is irrelevant. maybe there wasn't one, but there's always the possibility that a malware will pop up in the future. unless they manually check each advertising, which i doubt.

i never said i was against ads (something prime members seem to always brings up when people rightfully complain about excessive ads). "ads are needed to keep the site afloat!" I understand that, as a free service (in the sense as no payment is technically necessary to view certain content (unless you're in certain regions which require a premium membership), it is necessary for the site to acquire revenue in some way, so ads is expected. no-one is complaining about ads itself. rather, people are complaining about excessive ads. heck, even hulu has a far lower ad / content ratio compared to CR.

"well, just get a premium membership then"
telling people that the service is free, and then offering less than acceptable service with a big "PAY ME" message for 10 minutes or more every time you try to watch a 20-minute video. i understand why they do this, but i can't say i agree with this method.

maybe some people will give-in and pay, but others might give up entirely on the site and rely on piracy instead.
i can't honestly say that the excessive advertising is not encouraging people to do the latter.

CR could instead let free users complete surveys / quizzes / watch ads to obtain "points", and let them use said points to watch videos without the ads. this would not feel intrusive, and i suspect free users would welcome it. at least, they'll be able to enjoy watching a video without interruptions, and CR would still be paid for it.


I just watched a Fairy Tail (yeah...) episode on tablet without premium account and all I got was literally 25 seconds of ad for some body cream at the very beggining. Is the nature and legth of ads region based or completely random, maybe?One ad under 30 seconds is inconvinient, but hardly a killjoy. If anything I would criticise the change of resolution (Can't say for sure, but felt like it went from 480 to 1080p, which is kinda bad unless you are on a fast connection and have poverfull enough device) and volume settings for the add, because that actually is annoying, especially the sound felt like getting shot trough the ear without any warning. Hell, I think doing that with ads is technically illegal in many countries. Well, my point being, yes, shite, especially if you get more than 30 seconds of it.

And with all due respect, I disagree that whether anyone ever got malware thanks to using CR or not is irrelevant. There either is a case or there is not. I do not accept "It doesn't matter whether he killed anyone, the point is he could." argument.

I do take an issue with your reasoning overall tho. What do you mean people are justified. When you get something free (and legal at the same time), are you really justified to complain? To be fair, I am more dickish with you than I should be, but I'm getting tired of people doing this in games for years. "Ah, well, yes, I never paid nor will pay anything to you, but goddamnit, I am ENTITLED to get more for my 0<money>!!!" It's barely a step up from pirates complaning about resoluition being too low at 1080p.

About the surveys, that could be a good idea, but the trouble is, if you ever seen the dealings with those survey webs on company-to-company level, it's pretty unreliable and very dubious at times. Do you get 'ad' money from then? Will you? Won't you? It's all in the stars. Video ads are still the most reliable, and yes, annoying way to get revenue without taking money from the consumer directly.
Ultimately, premium is paying for convinience, not content. And the part about studios getting at least a little money from you in turn is good too.

10589 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Rabbit Horse
Offline
Posted 6/25/16 , edited 6/25/16

Elvikun wrote:
I just watched a Fairy Tail (yeah...) episode on tablet without premium account and all I got was literally 25 seconds of ad for some body cream at the very beggining. Is the nature and legth of ads region based or completely random, maybe?One ad under 30 seconds is inconvinient, but hardly a killjoy.

if all people got was a 30 second ad (heck, even 1-2 minute ad), there would be no reason for complaint. maybe it's random as you said.


Elvikun wrote:About the surveys, that could be a good idea, but the trouble is, if you ever seen the dealings with those survey webs on company-to-company level, it's pretty unreliable and very dubious at times. Do you get 'ad' money from then? Will you? Won't you? It's all in the stars. Video ads are still the most reliable, and yes, annoying way to get revenue without taking money from the consumer directly.

the survey companies would pay CR. some game companies use this method and it seems to work well.


Elvikun wrote:
"Ah, well, yes, I never paid nor will pay anything to you, but goddamnit, I am ENTITLED to get more for my 0<money>!!!"

when you watch an advertising, the ad company is literally paying CR. that's the whole reason free users have to see ads.
5612 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Outer Orbit
Offline
Posted 6/25/16 , edited 6/25/16

namealreadytaken wrote:


if all people got was a 30 second ad (heck, even 1-2 minute ad), there would be no reason for complaint. maybe it's random as you said.

the survey companies would pay CR. some game companies use this method and it seems to work well.

when you watch an advertising, the ad company is literally paying CR. that's the whole reason free users have to see ads.

I probably should do more testing on the length of ads, but honestly, I'm paying exactly because I don't want ANY ads, 5 seconds or 5 minutes ones, so I think I will just concede on that one, as I really don't know if I'm getting lucky with pretty okayish ones or not and why.

The surveys, trust you me, are not that easy and reliable, which is why not that many companies dealing with F2P models actually use them, despite it looking like the perfect way to let people make free "ingame" currency and the game provider still getting paid and why both publishers and users often call them scams. And I suspect rather large portion of the companies are actually trying to scam people, while grazing on the edge of what's legal and what's not. Be it trading with personal information or making people send small amounts of money from their bank account without -really- consenting. Or good old malware. That is ripe with this model too. Certainly more than Flash could ever achieve.

Yes, we agree on that part about ad companies paying CR, yet this very thread starts by complaint, albeit not made by you, that CR has a problem with free users blocking ads. So if you block ads, noone gets paid by anyone, ever. And everyone but CR loses the right to complain about anything. In vague terms.


10589 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Rabbit Horse
Offline
Posted 6/25/16

Elvikun wrote:
Yes, we agree on that part about ad companies paying CR, yet this very thread starts by complaint, albeit not made by you, that CR has a problem with free users blocking ads. So if you block ads, noone gets paid by anyone, ever. And everyone but CR loses the right to complain about anything. In vague terms.


i find it quite amusing that some people (in vague terms) are surprised that ad-blocker causes trouble with video playback
33 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/25/16
can someone tell me how much premium costs
33 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/25/16
im sorry if this bothers you any but could you tell me how much premium costs
42634 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
60 / M / Earth
Offline
Posted 6/25/16

silenfkncreed wrote:

im sorry if this bothers you any but could you tell me how much premium costs


Have you started the free trial? It will default to the monthly (30 days actually) automated charge listed here:

/premium_pick_plan?membership=premium

If you want to get cheaper, there are three-month (90 days) and 12 month (360 days) plans that you can switch to once your trial runs out.



36 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/28/16
The issue for me is that that pop up window had never come up before on that older computer. On my laptop it comes up fine. But the older one, even if I'm logged in, does not properly work, and I have no clue why. I use the older computer for my writing, as I am still unused to writing on my laptop, and as long as that thing remains in place, I can't even use this site on my older machine, something that had never been an issue before. Strangely enough, when I logged in here, I was taken to a stream, but which still had ads. (Confusing to be sure), but as I said before, I intend to pick up a paid membership again soon. (Though I will admit, I don't always log in, as when I do log in the player screen more than doubles on both computers, which means I have to reduce the magnification just to have the whole thing fit on my screen. I have only one eye that works (from birth, sadly), and as such, I need to make sure not to over tax the one working eye that I have. so is there a way to disable that popup that comes up on the site or what?
29118 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
83 / F / Bite the pillow.
Offline
Posted 6/28/16

WarwolfPrime wrote:
so is there a way to disable that popup that comes up on the site or what?

No.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.