First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Texas Secession: Brexit Inspires Nationalists To Leave US In ‘Texit’ Vote
35059 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 6/25/16

moonhawk81 wrote:

It is occasionally worth the effort. . .


First of all, hello Moonhawk! Good to see you again!

Now, as a practical matter the point still stands pretty strongly even if there's room for historical ideological debate. Texas tried to secede once as part of a new union, fought a war to maintain that secession, and lost. It was dragged back into the Union when it tried to leave with help. This time people are talking about Texas leaving alone. I just don't see how it could. The US would never allow a referendum for Texas to exit the Union, and if Texas tried to cut ties unilaterally the US would just invade and reintegrate Texas.
4904 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Online
Posted 6/25/16

MysticGon wrote:


octorockandroll wrote:

I think the fact that Texas doesn't even seem to even see the immediately apparent problems sith the uk leave then they quite frankly are likely too stupid to take care of themselves.


Idk, resource rich, large population, plenty on land. They could mess around with their own currency/taxes and potentially make it a great place to do business.


Texas really does not have as many resources as you might think. If memory serves, their biggest resource is oil and, I'm canadian so you know I know what Im talking about here, oil based economies are the worst.
42866 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / M / Memphis, TN
Offline
Posted 6/26/16 , edited 6/27/16

BlueOni wrote:


moonhawk81 wrote:

It is occasionally worth the effort. . .


First of all, hello Moonhawk! Good to see you again!

Now, as a practical matter the point still stands pretty strongly even if there's room for historical ideological debate. Texas tried to secede once as part of a new union, fought a war to maintain that secession, and lost. It was dragged back into the Union when it tried to leave with help. This time people are talking about Texas leaving alone. I just don't see how it could. The US would never allow a referendum for Texas to exit the Union, and if Texas tried to cut ties unilaterally the US would just invade and reintegrate Texas.


And hello to you, too! Been well(?), I hope. As to your point, I must sadly agree. For all the talk about "inalienable rights" and whatnot, the US has always been the bully on the block, whether the discussion concerns the invasion of Mexico in order to steal land; the forced re-integration of the South (against the spirit and letter of both the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution); the un-Constitutionally initiated war with Spain and subsequent seizure of the Philippines; the Monroe Doctrine as a political concept; the seizure of Hawaii. . .there's so much more, but why keep typing? History shows that the US Federal government believes and espouses whatever legal, political, and/or human rights are convenient to its goals at the time.

(And, to be clear, I didn't think xxJing's point was poorly thought-out, just underdeveloped. As it stands, I fully appreciate brevity.)
24279 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 6/26/16

octorockandroll wrote:


MysticGon wrote:


octorockandroll wrote:

I think the fact that Texas doesn't even seem to even see the immediately apparent problems sith the uk leave then they quite frankly are likely too stupid to take care of themselves.


Idk, resource rich, large population, plenty on land. They could mess around with their own currency/taxes and potentially make it a great place to do business.


Texas really does not have as many resources as you might think. If memory serves, their biggest resource is oil and, I'm canadian so you know I know what Im talking about here, oil based economies are the worst.


No, you're right.

https://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/statistics/state/data/tx.html

According to that oil and things related to it account for about 25% of all exports. They seem to be either willfully reducing their dependence on it or the falling prices are hitting them. Either way the share is going down.

If they did leave you'd expect a lot of sanctions handed down out of spite and they might be isolated, but right out if the gate they'd be bigger than South Korea. They are sort of already in the tech industry. Next they'd need to get into cars.
Posted 6/26/16

BlueOni wrote:

and if Texas tried to cut ties unilaterally the US would just invade and reintegrate Texas.


Shh, haven't you heard? The Texas can take on the U.S. just fine. The U.S. is just scared of the Texas. The Texas Texans is the most resourceful, have the most guns, the most militants, they no need no crazy ass left liberal northerners coming in there trying to steal their land, their resources, guns, bibles, christmases, and oppress good decent God-fearing hard-working people.
24279 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 6/26/16

Hrafna wrote:


BlueOni wrote:

and if Texas tried to cut ties unilaterally the US would just invade and reintegrate Texas.


Shh, haven't you heard? The Texas can take on the U.S. just fine. The U.S. is just scared of the Texas. The Texas Texans is the most resourceful, have the most guns, the most militants, they no need no crazy ass left liberal northerners coming in there trying to steal their land, their resources, guns, bibles, christmases, and oppress good decent God-fearing hard-working people.


Not enough 'yanks' or 'folk'.

Anyway it would have to be a peaceful split since both sides would have and knows how to produce more nukes. A modern day civil war would bring about the collapse of the western world and no one wants that.
runec 
28346 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/26/16

MysticGon wrote:
Not enough 'yanks' or 'folk'.

Anyway it would have to be a peaceful split since both sides would have and knows how to produce more nukes. A modern day civil war would bring about the collapse of the western world and no one wants that.


I sense this just expanded far beyond Texas.

24279 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 6/26/16

runec wrote:


MysticGon wrote:
Not enough 'yanks' or 'folk'.

Anyway it would have to be a peaceful split since both sides would have and knows how to produce more nukes. A modern day civil war would bring about the collapse of the western world and no one wants that.


I sense this just expanded far beyond Texas.



Well yeah. If Texas tries to leave there will be all kinds of things to take into account. Others might try and join them. Even if they don't and war were to break out as a result... a full blown war in the Western Hemisphere is something nobody wants to see. Markets would suffer and leaders will be resigning I'm sure. It'd be chaos.
948 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 6/26/16
Americans are too lazy to secede from anything anymore.
24279 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 6/26/16

Kanudelgruber wrote:

Americans are too lazy to secede from anything anymore.


Not only that but sports. Leaving would mean no more NFL and NBA. Then you'd have a real revolt on your hands.
runec 
28346 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/26/16

MysticGon wrote:
Well yeah. If Texas tries to leave there will be all kinds of things to take into account. Others might try and join them. Even if they don't and war were to break out as a result... a full blown war in the Western Hemisphere is something nobody wants to see. Markets would suffer and leaders will be resigning I'm sure. It'd be chaos.


Texas vs the rest of the US isn't really a full blown war. If Texas were to secede its not like the US military would let them keep all the toys. If Texas were to secede suddenly and try to keep them its not like the US military doesn't know exactly where they all are to light them up from the air. Texas's infrastructure could be flattened in a matter of days.

And who in their right mind would join them? ( and who in their wrong mind would bring any appreciable threat to the table? ) >.>

24279 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 6/26/16

runec wrote:


MysticGon wrote:
Well yeah. If Texas tries to leave there will be all kinds of things to take into account. Others might try and join them. Even if they don't and war were to break out as a result... a full blown war in the Western Hemisphere is something nobody wants to see. Markets would suffer and leaders will be resigning I'm sure. It'd be chaos.


Texas vs the rest of the US isn't really a full blown war. If Texas were to secede its not like the US military would let them keep all the toys. If Texas were to secede suddenly and try to keep them its not like the US military doesn't know exactly where they all are to light them up from the air. Texas's infrastructure could be flattened in a matter of days.

And who in their right mind would join them? ( and who in their wrong mind would bring any appreciable threat to the table? ) >.>



You make it seem as if all brains and brawn lie in Washington.
runec 
28346 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/26/16

MysticGon wrote:
You make it seem as if all brains and brawn lie in Washington.


No, I make it seem as if 1 state can't take on 49. -.-



24279 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 6/26/16 , edited 6/26/16

runec wrote:


MysticGon wrote:
You make it seem as if all brains and brawn lie in Washington.


No, I make it seem as if 1 state can't take on 49. -.-





I'd agree if we are talking about Rhode Island jk

But every state in the union is populated with very smart people with very different opinions. In the 1860s there were guns, cannons and a submarine or two. In 2016 every single state is armed to the teeth with enough firepower to lay waste an entire country. Regardless of who holds the keys now, the fact remains there are people who know how to make these weapons and who are fimiliar with U.S. battle tactics.

That said, there would be no winners if a war like that were to break out. Just irradiated graveyards.

That's why any split would have to be peaceful.

Also this...

http://youtu.be/LLCF7vPanrY

Edited for spelling
Sogno- 
45762 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/26/16

MysticGon wrote:


Kanudelgruber wrote:

Americans are too lazy to secede from anything anymore.


Not only that but sports. Leaving would mean no more NFL and NBA. Then you'd have a real revolt on your hands.


that's true

sports are just so... important

First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.