First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Post Reply Is Japan finally getting serious about illegal streaming?
7824 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M / Clearwater, Florida
Offline
Posted 6/25/16 , edited 6/25/16
As the title says. I happened to stumble across a video yesterday that discussed the Japanese taking a stance against illegal streaming sites. In the video, it talks of a task force being put together with the sole purpose of tracking down what automated scanning has missed. Including videos on youtube. I personally am all for this, as it will only help the industry in the long run. What are your thoughts on this? I've provided the link to the video below for those that wish to see what I am referring to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIGqpXZ3TyI
6165 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / 馬鹿外人
Offline
Posted 6/25/16
I better renew my HBO/Netflix memberships before I go back.
10654 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/25/16
I don't know how much good it will do, but being paid to watch videos all day sounds like a good gig.
7824 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M / Clearwater, Florida
Offline
Posted 6/25/16 , edited 6/25/16

gornotck wrote:

I don't know how much good it will do, but being paid to watch videos all day sounds like a good gig.


Exactly. It's only one person right now, as it's just started, but I can see it being very effective. Imagine if you employ a few hundred, to a few thousand NEETs or Otakus to start finding illegal sites. Two birds in one stone.
7824 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M / Clearwater, Florida
Offline
Posted 6/25/16 , edited 6/25/16

reaperx- wrote:

I better renew my HBO/Netflix memberships before I go back.


Right now I have Crunchyroll, Hulu plus, Netflix, Amazon, Vudu... and used to have Funimation. May end up getting that back. That pretty much covers all my anime needs.
6165 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / 馬鹿外人
Offline
Posted 6/25/16

Negrodaumus wrote:


reaperx- wrote:

I better renew my HBO/Netflix memberships before I go back.


Right now I have Crunchyroll, Hulu plus, Netflix, Amazon, Vudu... and used to have Funimation. May end up getting that back. That pretty much covers all my anime needs.


Damn. That's a pretty hefty bill at the end of the month :')
10654 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/25/16

Negrodaumus wrote:


gornotck wrote:

I don't know how much good it will do, but being paid to watch videos all day sounds like a good gig.


Exactly. It's only one person right now, as it's just started, but I can see it being very effective. Imagine if you employ a few hundred, to a few thousand NEETs or Otakus to start finding illegal sites. Two birds in one stone.


Oddly, I think it's enforcement, more than actually finding, that I see as being a stumbling block. You almost can't help but to find illegal streaming sites with even a basic search on the internet, but all of those sites may be in a dozen different countries with different ideas of what constitutes 'illegal streaming'.
7824 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M / Clearwater, Florida
Offline
Posted 6/25/16

reaperx- wrote:


Negrodaumus wrote:


reaperx- wrote:

I better renew my HBO/Netflix memberships before I go back.


Right now I have Crunchyroll, Hulu plus, Netflix, Amazon, Vudu... and used to have Funimation. May end up getting that back. That pretty much covers all my anime needs.


Damn. That's a pretty hefty bill at the end of the month :')


Not really, I don't even think it totals up to $50. That's nothing when you realize that it covers all your Movie/TV/Anime needs.

27373 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Online
Posted 6/25/16
Not gonna help one bit unless they take down all the major torrent portals too.
5574 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Florida
Offline
Posted 6/25/16

gornotck wrote:


Negrodaumus wrote:


gornotck wrote:

I don't know how much good it will do, but being paid to watch videos all day sounds like a good gig.


Exactly. It's only one person right now, as it's just started, but I can see it being very effective. Imagine if you employ a few hundred, to a few thousand NEETs or Otakus to start finding illegal sites. Two birds in one stone.


Oddly, I think it's enforcement, more than actually finding, that I see as being a stumbling block. You almost can't help but to find illegal streaming sites with even a basic search on the internet, but all of those sites may be in a dozen different countries with different ideas of what constitutes 'illegal streaming'.

Plus, what happens if someone uses video for a parody? Some countries allow it and others do not. I think this is going to be a test of international law if they go after a large site that decides to fight back. That being said, it appears as if the country of origin is the country whose copyright laws take precedence when there is a conflict.
6165 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / 馬鹿外人
Offline
Posted 6/25/16

nanikore2 wrote:

Not gonna help one bit unless they take down all the major torrent portals too.


...which they can't.
7824 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M / Clearwater, Florida
Offline
Posted 6/25/16 , edited 6/25/16

Bullbound wrote:

Plus, what happens if someone uses video for a parody? Some countries allow it and others do not. I think this is going to be a test of international law if they go after a large site that decides to fight back. That being said, it appears as if the country of origin is the country whose copyright laws take precedence when there is a conflict.


I would think that all it would take is a group of studios to sign on with this, basically giving this task force the right to take people down on their behalf, and that would be all. If the studios/creators say "nope, you can't use my sh*t without my written permission", that pretty much ends all debate.
27373 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Online
Posted 6/25/16

reaperx- wrote:


nanikore2 wrote:

Not gonna help one bit unless they take down all the major torrent portals too.


...which they can't.


yep
12061 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Canada
Offline
Posted 6/25/16 , edited 6/25/16
For me, if it's possible for you to buy your manga/anime (whether it be DVD/BluRay/Crunchyroll/Funimation etc.) instead of illegally streaming it/downloading it, then I think you should do that to help the creators over at Japan.
There's a reason most streaming sites for manga/anime say stuff like "please consider purchasing the series when it becomes available in your country," kinda thing (not too sure about anime though, but I'm sure it applies there anyway).
13885 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 6/25/16 , edited 6/25/16
I would be totally yay, go for it Japan if it wheren't for their retarded liciencing bullcrap. Those japanese overlords are too fine for my dirty german money, they made that clear, they just don't want to earn it. Fine. So if they don't want to make money, what exactly is the problem with their stuff being distributed anyways? Does not compute, either they want money or they don't.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.