First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Post Reply Is Japan finally getting serious about illegal streaming?
12188 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Ontario
Offline
Posted 6/25/16 , edited 6/28/16
As I believe the creators should get their money for their work. I also wonder if it wasn't for illegal anime sites anime outside of Japan might not of been as popular as it is now. That is also how Crunchyroll started back in the day so if they had control of this stuff Crunchyroll may never of existed aswell as Funimation.
satty8 
7167 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 6/25/16
In principle I agree completely with removing illegal streaming. However, as many others have pointed out, there are countless anime series that simply cannot be watched in the UK legally (SNAFU I'm looking at you -_-) and so if I want to watch those I have to watch them on another site. I would say 90% of my anime viewing is legal, I have CR, funimation now (which is actually pretty appalling for amount of shows on there considering american funi has hundreds -_-) as well as netflix and amazon, and if I like a series, I buy it as well, but the industry could really do with sorting out allowing me to watch all I want legally someway. Until then, for shows I simply can't find any other way, I see no reason not to stream and then buy when I like it
60992 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Alaska
Offline
Posted 6/26/16 , edited 6/26/16

Negrodaumus wrote:

As the title says. I happened to stumble across a video yesterday that discussed the Japanese taking a stance against illegal streaming sites. In the video, it talks of a task force being put together with the sole purpose of tracking down what automated scanning has missed. Including videos on youtube. I personally am all for this, as it will only help the industry in the long run. What are your thoughts on this? I've provided the link to the video below for those that wish to see what I am referring to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIGqpXZ3TyI


i've noticed with illegal movie streaming sites is that they get taken down but then put right back up back under a different link and slightly different name. Someone behind the scenes knows what they are doing and probably just making money off ads they add to the illegal uploads. (hacker status? or just ad manipulation or both? who knows)
20980 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Offline
Posted 6/26/16 , edited 6/26/16

nanikore2 wrote:

Not gonna help one bit unless they take down all the major torrent portals too.


Even then it's like a hydra take one head and two will come back
11742 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 6/26/16
i dont rly care lol

either way, most of dat cash aint goin to the animators but to the higher ups
33510 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 6/26/16 , edited 6/28/16
It's always amusing when I read a thread like this and 50% of the comments are "blah hlah blah, they don't want my money so fuck em.".
Posted 6/26/16 , edited 6/26/16
If their plan doesn't include access to legal options in under served areas they are just going to waste a lot of money playing whack-a-mole with these sites. Of course BitTorrent and others have been developing distributed streaming so the problem is only going to get worse.

It won't end piracy, but by offering a legal service they are at least getting some money.
AX-9 
6810 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Washington
Offline
Posted 6/26/16
I'd respect the illegal sites a bit more if they at least removed shows that have been licensed by ether legal steaming sites or have been licensed by others like FUNi. Because then they could keep there purpose give us shows that has no license but then remove them when they get one.

But I do hope they take down the big one, you know that one.
5 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/26/16 , edited 6/28/16
Everybody wants to get rid of illegal streaming when there are absurdly low alternatives. People need to realize that we live in an era where people can access things online whether it's free or not. While there is not, nor will there ever be a perfect solution for this, simply purging all of the illegal streaming sites will most certainly do more harm then good without any proper legal alternatives.

If people stream illegally they either don't care enough about the hobby to support it, are in countries where their access to anime is limited, or simply can't afford to support their hobby. We've all illegally downloaded things at some point in our lives so it's not a matter of practicing what we preach, but rather a matter of how much we care.

So bottom line, if you want to support the industry, great. If not, I don't blame you.
198 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / The Great White N...
Offline
Posted 6/26/16

XxDarkSasuxX wrote:

It's always amusing when I read a thread like this and 50% of the comments are "blah hlah blah, they don't want my money so fuck em.".


Hahha, that is pretty true. It is fairly amusing.


But, you have to admit, they have a point in the under serviced areas and for the series which have not been licensed outside of Japan. otherwise what do they expect us to do for those situations where they have not offered legal alternatives as most people can't understand Japanese or have the extra money to import?


Also, IIRC the anime industry in North America was mostly sustained by fansubs on VHS back in the day when we did only get a handful of series.
265 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/26/16 , edited 6/26/16
That certainly sound like a good deal then. Makes things more convenient for you. I'm might check out Vudu a little more myself. Huzzah!
AX-9 
6810 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Washington
Offline
Posted 6/26/16 , edited 6/26/16

SDtheElf wrote:


XxDarkSasuxX wrote:

It's always amusing when I read a thread like this and 50% of the comments are "blah hlah blah, they don't want my money so fuck em.".


Hahha, that is pretty true. It is fairly amusing.


But, you have to admit, they have a point in the under serviced areas and for the series which have not been licensed outside of Japan. otherwise what do they expect us to do for those situations where they have not offered legal alternatives as most people can't understand Japanese or have the extra money to import?


Also, IIRC the anime industry in North America was mostly sustained by fansubs on VHS back in the day when we did only get a handful of series.


I could be wrong but if I recall most of them where not even officially licensed ether, so the fan subbers where making a profit on unlicensed produces. Meaning the original source did not see any revenue from said sells.



EverybodysEnemy wrote:

Everybody wants to get rid of illegal streaming when there are absurdly low alternatives. People need to realize that we live in an era where people can access things online whether it's free or not. While there is not, nor will there ever be a perfect solution for this, simply purging all of the illegal streaming sites will most certainly do more harm then good without any proper legal alternatives.

If people stream illegally they either don't care enough about the hobby to support it, are in countries where their access to anime is limited, or simply can't afford to support their hobby. We've all illegally downloaded things at some point in our lives so it's not a matter of practicing what we preach, but rather a matter of how much we care.

So bottom line, if you want to support the industry, great. If not, I don't blame you.



If that's the case then they (The people) need to talk to their leaders, as well as the site providers and what not. If they continue to just sit on their collective asses then change will never happen. They need to make a stance and show them WHY and HOW it could help their economy, even if its only by a small amount. And even if that doesn't pan out, still make a stance as to WHY its should get more support.
198 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / The Great White N...
Offline
Posted 6/26/16

AX-9 wrote:



If that's the case then they (The people) need to talk to their leaders, as well as the site providers and what not. If they continue to just sit on their collective asses then change will never happen. They need to make a stance and show them WHY and HOW it could help their economy, even if its only by a small amount. And even if that doesn't pan out, still make a stance as to WHY its should get more support.


I agree with that. People do need to try and find ways to convince the industry that there is a market somewhere for these things.

I think part of why most people haven't yet though is because either; They tried in the past and nothing happened as a result (I see this one posted around the site a lot. Apparently most companies don't listen to the fans for what series they want in their country), or the series would require too much censoring and changing to meet the guidelines for that country.

Over all, both reasons kinda suck for why people don't try to get the series they want brought over. I myself though do hold onto hope that if the fans can prove to the company there is a market for it to be profitable then there should be no issues. But just in case I'm slowly learning Japanese so I can start to import series and their sources.
AX-9 
6810 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Washington
Offline
Posted 6/27/16 , edited 6/27/16

SDtheElf wrote:


AX-9 wrote:



If that's the case then they (The people) need to talk to their leaders, as well as the site providers and what not. If they continue to just sit on their collective asses then change will never happen. They need to make a stance and show them WHY and HOW it could help their economy, even if its only by a small amount. And even if that doesn't pan out, still make a stance as to WHY its should get more support.


I agree with that. People do need to try and find ways to convince the industry that there is a market somewhere for these things.

I think part of why most people haven't yet though is because either; They tried in the past and nothing happened as a result (I see this one posted around the site a lot. Apparently most companies don't listen to the fans for what series they want in their country), or the series would require too much censoring and changing to meet the guidelines for that country.

Over all, both reasons kinda suck for why people don't try to get the series they want brought over. I myself though do hold onto hope that if the fans can prove to the company there is a market for it to be profitable then there should be no issues. But just in case I'm slowly learning Japanese so I can start to import series and their sources.


That is true different regions have different censorship laws, and if some shows cant make it due to the amount of censorship or the cost of doing so, they could try to argue to remove the restrictions.
27282 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/27/16
not possible to completely stop illegal streaming.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.