First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply Are conventions worth it anymore?
25139 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Beyond The Wall
Online
Posted 6/26/16 , edited 6/26/16
I enjoyed Anime Weekend Atlanta when I went. Also enjoyed Dragoncon(especially since I got to meat some indie game devs and got to buy Mark Meer a drink for some dank Commander Shepard Soundbytes), Conventions are definitely worth visiting. Only downside is people NEED TO BE AWARE OF THEIR BODY ODOR. Seriously, for fucks sake people. Deodorant exists for a reason, or take a break for the con and go take a shower if you have a hotel room, it isnt going anywhere.
6951 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / California
Online
Posted 6/26/16
I wanted to go to Anime Expo however, my made up/convenient fear of large crowds got the better of me. I feel like I'm going to be missing out, I have some regret. I even live near there, sort of.
5447 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
54 / M / Tacoma, WA. wind...
Offline
Posted 6/27/16 , edited 6/27/16
I have never been to an anime convention.

There have been a few that I would like to attend but . . . .

Before I lost my job in Bellevue, Wa. in '96, I was a very avid fisherman and hunter. I would go to the sportsman's shows and the boat shows. I had fun and I got to learn a few things. BUT . . . it started to get kind of spendy $$$$....

When it started to cost $10 a day and about that much for parking I figured it was just kind of silly to pay for the privilege of shopping at a sporting-goods store where on any other day I could get into for free and NOT have to pay for parking.

Most of the anime Cons that I was thinking about going to cost around $20 a day and more at the gate... plus parking.

If I had a couple of friends to go with, I might be a little more inclined to go but things never turned out that way.

With my move to the Seattle/Tacoma area things might change....

Worth it?
meh....
30236 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
It doesn't matter.
Offline
Posted 6/27/16
Conventions are only as good as your company.
23413 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / F / Always my room
Offline
Posted 6/27/16
I like going to cons. While stuff is expensive I can overlook that because I have fun around people who like the same things I do.
20684 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Offline
Posted 6/27/16

dragontackle wrote:

I enjoyed Anime Weekend Atlanta when I went. Also enjoyed Dragoncon(especially since I got to meat some indie game devs and got to buy Mark Meer a drink for some dank Commander Shepard Soundbytes), Conventions are definitely worth visiting. Only downside is people NEED TO BE AWARE OF THEIR BODY ODOR. Seriously, for fucks sake people. Deodorant exists for a reason, or take a break for the con and go take a shower if you have a hotel room, it isnt going anywhere.


what if you don't have a hotel room though.

I mean spending $5-10 for a can of deoderant you will need to throw in the bin isn't worth it imo.

I only say this cause i plan to goto a con in another city and i plan to stay up for 24 hours so i don't need to pay for a hotel room and can just sit around in the city.

Ain't no way a can of deodorant is fitting in my pockets
33510 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 6/27/16
I only ever go to one big one(AWA) a year, so I think it's worth the money. It is expensive on that one occasion, but I'm saved up by the time it comes around.

I have some fun memories with friends and the people I've met.
17747 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / outer wall, level...
Offline
Posted 6/27/16
i love to go. its a guilty pleasure. and where i live, going and comming in the same days is fesable with two drivers, and possible with just one, tho i ususaly find a quiet place to sleep.
for me its the people. i go to take photos of hot cosplayers.
but going solo kinda sucks. hopefully next year ill have some one with me.
9283 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Australia
Offline
Posted 6/27/16 , edited 6/27/16

Sir_jamesalot wrote:

Conventions are only as good as your company.


Yeah they are way more fun going to with friends. But sometimes going with friends can ruin the experience. I've gone with people that have been annoying cos they got no money or dont want to do anything/cant agree on what to do , people who were too judgemental, or we were massively late due to them, etc.
But going alone would be a bit depressing an boring. Having said that, i have done that before. Twice.

I still go to anime conventions every year (as i have been for about 13-15 years) but i find them less exciting now. But i thinks thats just because i have gotten older.
And as others have said, and by the sounds of it this is the case everywhere, they keep getting more expensive. The one down here the price to get in keeps going up almost every year.
I used to blow hunders on merchandise but i dont spend money on that sort of thing like i used to so unless you plan to splurge you shouldn't need THAT much money. But it is an all day thing or an all weekend thing so when you add up entry and transport, food n drinks, etc it dose add up.
Plus we always make trips to the pub inbetween.
I find it feels kind of wrong to leave a convention empty handed also. I like to at least buy a souvenir or gift or something at least.

It's funny, i love how big the convention i go to has grown and surged, i really do but there is always part of me that misses when it was a bit less crowded and smaller and more underground lol.
In all honesty, there isn't even that much to do at conventionsand you can get bored at them pretty quick. Unless you want to buy stuff, take pics, watch anime, actually follow the schedule and attend events and actually participate in competitions , meet the guests , etc
There is plenty to do if you want to do all of that but it's easy to go in, walk around and then feel like you've seen everything already.

But it is something to do, something different and only once or twice a year and there are always so many cute girls in cosplay and just awesome cosplay in general so that alone makes them worth going to for me.

Plus if you're young its a good opportunity to meet other people with similar intrests to you.






27107 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 6/27/16
im sure
25139 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Beyond The Wall
Online
Posted 6/27/16

Ryulightorb wrote:


dragontackle wrote:

I enjoyed Anime Weekend Atlanta when I went. Also enjoyed Dragoncon(especially since I got to meat some indie game devs and got to buy Mark Meer a drink for some dank Commander Shepard Soundbytes), Conventions are definitely worth visiting. Only downside is people NEED TO BE AWARE OF THEIR BODY ODOR. Seriously, for fucks sake people. Deodorant exists for a reason, or take a break for the con and go take a shower if you have a hotel room, it isnt going anywhere.


what if you don't have a hotel room though.

I mean spending $5-10 for a can of deoderant you will need to throw in the bin isn't worth it imo.

I only say this cause i plan to goto a con in another city and i plan to stay up for 24 hours so i don't need to pay for a hotel room and can just sit around in the city.

Ain't no way a can of deodorant is fitting in my pockets


If you dont have a hotel room, then the least you could do is go to the bathrooms at the con and try to freshen up a bit in there.
20684 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Offline
Posted 6/27/16

dragontackle wrote:


Ryulightorb wrote:


dragontackle wrote:

I enjoyed Anime Weekend Atlanta when I went. Also enjoyed Dragoncon(especially since I got to meat some indie game devs and got to buy Mark Meer a drink for some dank Commander Shepard Soundbytes), Conventions are definitely worth visiting. Only downside is people NEED TO BE AWARE OF THEIR BODY ODOR. Seriously, for fucks sake people. Deodorant exists for a reason, or take a break for the con and go take a shower if you have a hotel room, it isnt going anywhere.


what if you don't have a hotel room though.

I mean spending $5-10 for a can of deoderant you will need to throw in the bin isn't worth it imo.

I only say this cause i plan to goto a con in another city and i plan to stay up for 24 hours so i don't need to pay for a hotel room and can just sit around in the city.

Ain't no way a can of deodorant is fitting in my pockets


If you dont have a hotel room, then the least you could do is go to the bathrooms at the con and try to freshen up a bit in there.


Well thats just common decency you would think.
Posted 6/27/16
I like going to conventions lets me meet new people, but I also hate them since my bf at the time cheated on me with some random girl he found there. So it's so-so for me, but I do enjoy them.
20684 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Offline
Posted 6/27/16

Velvet_Crowe wrote:

I like going to conventions lets me meet new people, but I also hate them since my bf at the time cheated on me with some random girl he found there. So it's so-so for me, but I do enjoy them.


you know being cheated on is like one horrible blow.

But being cheated on with a desperate con-goer is just.... that's painful in it's own right e.e
Banned
586 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Lucasville-McDerm...
Offline
Posted 6/27/16
Yes! I love Anime Conventions! They're worth it! My mom takes me to all of the anime conventions and had an blast!
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.