Insults vs Strong Opinions
42325 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Online
Posted 6/29/16
Let me know if a thread like this one exist.
Thanks a bunches.


What makes an insult different from a strong opinion?Aren't all insults are some form of opinion? What makes a strong opinion stand out from others?

Enjoy!!!

33510 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 6/29/16
An insult generally is an observation, but obviously still an opinion.

They differ in application, though. Having a transgender debate and calling someone a transphobe is different than having a strong opinion on either end.

An opinion merits grounds for discussion while an insult is usually used to either offend or dismiss.

An insult by itself almost never conveys any position on a particular subject or provides enough information to form a discussion around.
42325 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Online
Posted 6/29/16

XxDarkSasuxX wrote:

An insult generally is an observation, but obviously still an opinion.

They differ in application, though. Having a transgender debate and calling someone a transphobe is different than having a strong opinion on either end.

An opinion merits grounds for discussion while an insult is usually used to either offend or dismiss.

An insult by itself almost never conveys any position on a particular subject or provides enough information to form a discussion around.


It's so confusing. I try to understand opinions but I still don't get it.
502 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 6/29/16
An opinion can be insulting. An insult can be opinionated. It's all about interpretation.
Banned
17503 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 6/29/16

qualeshia3 wrote:


XxDarkSasuxX wrote:

An insult generally is an observation, but obviously still an opinion.

They differ in application, though. Having a transgender debate and calling someone a transphobe is different than having a strong opinion on either end.

An opinion merits grounds for discussion while an insult is usually used to either offend or dismiss.

An insult by itself almost never conveys any position on a particular subject or provides enough information to form a discussion around.


It's so confusing. I try to understand opinions but I still don't get it.


I've been meaning to ask, English isn't your first language is it?

As for the question I have to grudgingly agree with XxDarkSasuxX.
42325 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Online
Posted 6/29/16

Ranwolf wrote:


qualeshia3 wrote:


XxDarkSasuxX wrote:

An insult generally is an observation, but obviously still an opinion.

They differ in application, though. Having a transgender debate and calling someone a transphobe is different than having a strong opinion on either end.

An opinion merits grounds for discussion while an insult is usually used to either offend or dismiss.

An insult by itself almost never conveys any position on a particular subject or provides enough information to form a discussion around.


It's so confusing. I try to understand opinions but I still don't get it.


I've been meaning to ask, English isn't your first language is it?

As for the question I have to grudgingly agree with XxDarkSasuxX.



English is my first language.
Banned
17503 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 6/29/16

qualeshia3 wrote:



English is my first language.


Okay I can't think of a polite way to say this but I don't believe that for one second. Your syntax is extremely stiff and stilted and your word choices and arrangement makes your posts difficult to comprehend sometimes. And while I am no English Major even I can spot the obvious grammar and spelling mistakes thirty seconds of proof reading would spot. And not to mention your understanding of even basic comprehension seems somewhat lacking.

Taking that all into consideration to me at least you seem to be writing like someone who came to the English language after perhaps two or even three other languages.
42325 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Online
Posted 6/29/16

Ranwolf wrote:


qualeshia3 wrote:



English is my first language.


Okay I can't think of a polite way to say this but I don't believe that for one second. Your syntax is extremely stiff and stilted and your word choices and arrangement makes your posts difficult to comprehend sometimes. And while I am no English Major even I can spot the obvious grammar and spelling mistakes thirty seconds of proof reading would spot. And not to mention your understanding of even basic comprehension seems somewhat lacking.

Taking that all into consideration to me at least you seem to be writing like someone who came to the English language after perhaps two or even three other languages.


Are you kidding me with this?

Whatever! If that is what you believe, then fine! But English is my first and only language.
29118 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
83 / F / Bite the pillow.
Offline
Posted 6/29/16 , edited 6/29/16
A few things from Google that I found interesting:

- The Difference Between Insult and Argument
- http://blogs.edweek.org/edweek/rick_hess_straight_up/2011/12/the_difference_between_insult_and_argument.html

Insult is about venting. It's not intended to convince or persuade; it's not really even intended to engage with others. It presumes malicious intent on the part of those with whom one disagrees, and therefore that there's no use in empathy or value in reasoned argument.


Argument, on the other hand, is an attempt to engage with other people as reasoning minds. It presumes that opponents and third parties are reasonable people who might be persuaded to change their minds. It is marked by a desire to understand what others think and a respect for nuance and opposing views.

- Difference Between Insult and Opinion
- http://iamawareofmyroots.blogspot.com/2011/01/difference-between-insult-and-opinion.html

Insult according to Webster Dictionary means “To treat with abuse, insolence, indignity, or contempt, by word or action; to abuse." Opinion means “That which is opined; a notion or conviction founded on probable evidence; belief stronger than impression, less strong than positive knowledge; settled judgment in regard to any point of knowledge or action.”
So I think the basis gist of it is that someone with an opinion is genuinely trying to engage the listener whereas someone tossing shade has no interest in engagement.
Banned
17503 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 6/29/16

qualeshia3 wrote:


Are you kidding me with this?

Whatever! If that is what you believe, then fine! But English is my first and only language.


And yet even when the difference between an insult and opinion is pointed out to you in a very encompassing yet succinct way you claim not to understand it. This to me seems to indicate you lack the comprehension of a native English speaker, more so since you claim to be 25 . An age may I remind you were basic English shouldn't be the chore you seem to be making of it.

An insult is along the lines of " Your mother is fat prostitute" It is brief and to the point and designed to make you angry.

An opinion of the same subject would be " Your mother is overweight because she consumes 23,000 calories a day in the form of 24 crispy creme doughnuts. Furthermore she is a prostitute in that she exchanges sexual services for compensation."

Both are conveying the same message but the opinion is explaining why the speaker thinks so.
42325 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Online
Posted 6/29/16

Hairbelly wrote:

A few things from Google that I found interesting:

- The Difference Between Insult and Argument
- http://blogs.edweek.org/edweek/rick_hess_straight_up/2011/12/the_difference_between_insult_and_argument.html

Insult is about venting. It's not intended to convince or persuade; it's not really even intended to engage with others. It presumes malicious intent on the part of those with whom one disagrees, and therefore that there's no use in empathy or value in reasoned argument.


Argument, on the other hand, is an attempt to engage with other people as reasoning minds. It presumes that opponents and third parties are reasonable people who might be persuaded to change their minds. It is marked by a desire to understand what others think and a respect for nuance and opposing views.

- Difference Between Insult and Opinion
- http://iamawareofmyroots.blogspot.com/2011/01/difference-between-insult-and-opinion.html

Insult according to Webster Dictionary means “To treat with abuse, insolence, indignity, or contempt, by word or action; to abuse." Opinion means “That which is opined; a notion or conviction founded on probable evidence; belief stronger than impression, less strong than positive knowledge; settled judgment in regard to any point of knowledge or action.”
So I think the basis gist of it is that someone with an opinion is genuinely trying to engage the listener whereas someone tossing shade has no interest in engagement.



These are pretty good.
42325 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Online
Posted 6/29/16

Ranwolf wrote:


qualeshia3 wrote:


Are you kidding me with this?

Whatever! If that is what you believe, then fine! But English is my first and only language.


And yet even when the difference between an insult and opinion is pointed out to you in a very encompassing yet succinct way you claim not to understand it. This to me seems to indicate you lack the comprehension of a native English speaker, more so since you claim to be 25 . An age may I remind you were basic English shouldn't be the chore you seem to be making of it.

An insult is along the lines of " Your mother is fat prostitute" It is brief and to the point and designed to make you angry.

An opinion of the same subject would be " Your mother is overweight because she consumes 23,000 calories a day in the form of 24 crispy creme doughnuts. Furthermore she is a prostitute in that she exchanges sexual services for compensation."

Both are conveying the same message but the opinion is explaining why the speaker thinks so.




Forget it! I'm closing this thread because I've made a mistake anyway. I don't have time for this.
9760 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / Johnstown, PA, USA
Online
Posted 6/29/16

Ranwolf wrote:


qualeshia3 wrote:


Are you kidding me with this?

Whatever! If that is what you believe, then fine! But English is my first and only language.


And yet even when the difference between an insult and opinion is pointed out to you in a very encompassing yet succinct way you claim not to understand it. This to me seems to indicate you lack the comprehension of a native English speaker, more so since you claim to be 25 . An age may I remind you were basic English shouldn't be the chore you seem to be making of it.

An insult is along the lines of " Your mother is fat prostitute" It is brief and to the point and designed to make you angry.

An opinion of the same subject would be " Your mother is overweight because she consumes 23,000 calories a day in the form of 24 crispy creme doughnuts. Furthermore she is a prostitute in that she exchanges sexual services for compensation."

Both are conveying the same message but the opinion is explaining why the speaker thinks so.


Okay. So you know more than Qualeshia does about what her first language is, as well as her supposed political affiliation. You've apparently taken it upon yourself to repeatedly assert that she lacks comprehension in both areas. Have you been bottling up aggression towards her, but only now reveal it?
Otter Modder
42364 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Florida
Offline
Posted 6/29/16
Closed per OP request.
You must be logged in to post.