Post Reply Alternative for the popup video
36 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/30/16 , edited 6/30/16
This is a recent hassle for me that came up on my desktop, which is an older machine (and which runs XP.) The video that plays when the site detects ad blockers are active causes the site to more or less freeze up because my desktop computer cannot handle it. The video does not play, and I cannot get it to get off my screen no matter how much I press on the continue button on it. To make matters worse, the last time I tried, the thing created some kind of weird file on my computer that was suspicious enough that my Anti-virus program flagged it as a threat. I know you prefer that people turn off their ad blocker, but it's hardly fair to force them to watch a video that acts like an advertisement for ads in order to watch a video. The thing is that when you scroll down a bit on the site, something always pops up to advertize products in the store. Whatever this is, it's not registered as an ad, so that's a good thing. Why not take that a step further and offer people the option to take a survey or something after watching a certain number of videos from a certain IP address, say five videos or around that, instead of having to be hassled by a video that may or may not play on older machines that tries to get people to turn off something that they have for the obvious issue of not wanting to deal with ads? Especially now that some hackers and malware creators are getting cagey and creating malicious advertisements that disguise themselves as benign ads on sites that are otehrwise benign and whose actual webmasters/staff aren't even aware its happening?

Given that not everyone has newer machines with Vista, 7, 8, or 10, or whatever iOS is currently in use— or else uses them only part of the time due to having projects on their older machines (I myself am an example of the latter, I freely admit to this) that causes them to spend the majority of their time on their older devices, I feel this would be a better tradeoff to that annoying video. Bear in mind, the survey itself should be optional, or you'd have the same problem as the video. However if the surveys are designed to help in determining what kind of anime or manga people would like to see, I suspect that people would be more willing to take them, and it would eliminate the issue of the video, as again, on older machines it may not play well (if it plays at all) and would be less obtrusive. It might not seem as cutesy as the video that plays when ad blockers are detected, but it's less of a hassle, and would be more likely to be viewed as a possible way to help the site as opposed to a constant hassle to have to deal with.

Alternatively, you could just turn that thing off altogether and let people use the site with the ad blockers on without hassling them to turn them off. After all, people who are paying for the site are going to pay because they like the stuff and want to get it a day early, or see the manga, or get discounts in the CR store. Claiming the place is free with no obligation to purchase a membership, but then making them sit through a video advertising that having their ad blocker off is a good thing (thus defeating the purpose of having ad blockers in the first place) isn't a good example of a place being free. And if people keep getting harassed by that video continuing to pop up because they have their ad blocker on are eventually going to drive people away from the site because they don't want to deal with that thing over and over again. I'm already in that situation where I feel like that video is more trouble than it's worth to continue using the site. I can buy anime on DVD or Blu-Ray, for example. Sure it takes longer for me to be able to watch it because it's not something that streams like a week later for free users of this site and might take months before I can even afford a single collection, but at least I don't have to constantly see ads or be harassed by a video telling me that I should turn my ad blocker off before I watch the disc. And just because the site plays the video properly on a newer machine or OS isn't an excuse to put people who have older machines/operating systems for whatever reason to be put in a position where they cannot use the site because of that video.

Just my two cents on the matter.
10613 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Rabbit Horse
Online
Posted 6/30/16
you want to be able to watch without paying and without dealing with ads. i'm sorry, but no-one here will be able to help you.
a temporary solution is getting a free trial.
36 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/30/16

namealreadytaken wrote:

you want to be able to watch without paying and without dealing with ads. i'm sorry, but no-one here will be able to help you.
a temporary solution is getting a free trial.


I've already had a free trial, it's why I have an account name.

So that does me no good. I wouldn't be surprised if others have had the same issue.

This is also why I am suggesting a different idea than that video, because right now as it stands, if I can't use the site on the computer I most regularly use (I'm on over at the library at present), then the site is more or less worthless to me. If you claim the site is free to use, but then have to sit through videos trying to hassle you into turning your ad blocker off, it's not really free to use, now is it? Especially if you can't even get the video itself to work on the machine most commonly in use so that you can at least hit the button that sends you to the actual video you want to see.

Crunchyroll is a nice idea, but if I can't use it without getting harassed over the use of ad blocker when I currently don't have the funds to pay for a paid account (and incidentally when I had a trial account the player grew to such a size that at the resolution I am most comfortable with due to having only one working eye from birth, I was forced to chance the resolution of the site and on my screen just to be able to watch it), then using the site at all is pointless. I have a smart phone that doesn't have ad blocker (though I typically only use it once or twice a week to watch stuff on a different app altogether which doesn't have ads at all, and even then, I have only one working eye and the subtitles are ridiculously small on the screen the one time I tried using CR on the smart phone app), but yeah, that video makes the site unworkable on the machine I use most, and it appears to be a wholly recent thing as I didn't have to deal with that video at all before on the machine I regularly use until last week as the video never came up before then. Sure I could use my laptop, but that's not the machine I use most, and again, it defeats the purpose of being on the machine I use most and wanting to be able to use that machine to watch anime on the site,which I still can't do because of that video, while being able to work on projects that require the use of the older machine.

In short, CR has gone out of it's way to make things harder for people who are having the same issue with the site on older machines, all because they want people to have to sit through ads. I get that ads help the site, and I'm sure there are people more than willing to watch ads. I am not one of them due to the age of the machine I most commonly use as I'm trying to keep it usable since many of the programs I use are no longer around to download if, God forbid, I should need to reinstall the OS on the old thing. People who want to sit through ads are more than welcome to. But those of us who don't shouldn't be harassed into doing so by a site that claims to be free. I plan on getting a premium account once I have the funds, even if it does mean I'll be dealing with issues that mess with my eye, but that doesn't mean I should be incapable of using the site in the meantime. And right now that's exactly the situation I find myself in. Which I don't think is fair. If I can't use the site without the site harassing me to turn off something I use to keep my machine healthy, then I'm better off with DVDs, Blu-Ray, and Cartoon network's Saturday night anime block. I shouldn't have to feel like those are my only options though, but so far, it seems Crunchyroll is making it that way and I wouldn't be surprised if I wasn't the only one who had this issue.

I offered a suggestion that would work as a better alternative to that video. Hopefully someone will give it some real consideration.
3326 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Germany
Offline
Posted 6/30/16
kek
-> "my pc can't handle the pop-up I get while trying to bypass ads"
Pay for premium if you don't want ads and stop complaining like a poorf*g.
36 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/30/16

ComboChrist wrote:

kek
-> "my pc can't handle the pop-up I get while trying to bypass ads"
Pay for premium if you don't want ads and stop complaining like a poorf*g.


I've been planning to, the issue is that right now I'm low on funds. I'm aware it's only like 7 bucks, but I'm on a budget right now. I'm on SSI, which means I only have a limited amount of money at any given time. I'm trying to find a method to fit it into my budget.
42650 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
60 / M / Earth
Offline
Posted 6/30/16

WarwolfPrime wrote:
I've been planning to, the issue is that right now I'm low on funds. I'm aware it's only like 7 bucks, but I'm on a budget right now. I'm on SSI, which means I only have a limited amount of money at any given time. I'm trying to find a method to fit it into my budget.


Ad blockers have whitelisting capabilities. You can configure them so that CR is the only site you allow ads through for...You don't have to disable it for any other sites.
36 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/1/16 , edited 7/1/16

asharka wrote:


WarwolfPrime wrote:
I've been planning to, the issue is that right now I'm low on funds. I'm aware it's only like 7 bucks, but I'm on a budget right now. I'm on SSI, which means I only have a limited amount of money at any given time. I'm trying to find a method to fit it into my budget.


Ad blockers have whitelisting capabilities. You can configure them so that CR is the only site you allow ads through for...You don't have to disable it for any other sites.



I do not know enough about how to do that properly to trust that I won't screw up the ability to use ad blocker at all. Case in point, I just accidentally messed up with it that I briefly blocked all videos on CR when I attempted it on my laptop. It took me about twelve very confused and desperate minutes to get everything set back to where it was. I would make things far worse on my Desktop (Which again, runs a much older OS). The laptop sees the video that pops up by the way, though hitting reload twice seems to get it to go away. However the popup video does not even play on the desktop. The video's box comes up, but the video itself does not, locking me out of the site itself. And as the video itself never used to come up at all in any fashion on the desktop until a recent update to flash player, I'm not even sure why it started to come up on there. Prior to this week, the site just started the video I had selected without bringing up that popup, and didn't care if I had ad blocker on. (And I did indeed have ad blocker on, in case you were wondering.) This is why I think there needs to be some kind of alternative to that popup video., Maybe have the site play the annoying popup video on the regular player used to play the actual anime to bring that video up if the site detects ad blockers. It would be annoying and I doubt I could fast forward through it, but at the very least it would not then cause the site to lock up on my desktop which, as I pointed out before, is an older machine and the last time this video came up, it flagged something in the damn thing as a virus. Either way, that popup really needs to go so that this kind of thing isn't a problem for people who are using older computers. There has to be a better way to advertise for ads without stressing people out when the video causes more problems than the ad blockers do.

This is also why I suggested something like a survey that could be used instead of said popup video. The site can clearly detect ad blockers, so why not have it bring up a survey or something every five videos watched by someone with an ad blocker about the anime they watch, or something else related to making the site better? Sure, it's still an annoyance, but not one that locks up the site. Mozilla and Youtube do it all the time. Why not do it here too?
58670 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Dallas, TX
Online
Posted 7/1/16


Which ad-blocker are you using?

CR's normal membership is "free" in the sense that you're not directly paying them for the service. But just like commercials on broadcast television, nothing is completely free.
29118 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
83 / F / Bite the pillow.
Offline
Posted 7/4/16
Moot point now since Ad-Blockers are working again and the nag video is gone.
36 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/5/16

Hairbelly wrote:

Moot point now since Ad-Blockers are working again and the nag video is gone.




If that's true, that's more than a relief. What caused them to stop working on the nag video anyway?
36 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/5/16 , edited 7/5/16

eyeofpain wrote:



Which ad-blocker are you using?

CR's normal membership is "free" in the sense that you're not directly paying them for the service. But just like commercials on broadcast television, nothing is completely free.


I use Adblock Plus, though since it seems the nag video is gone again, it's a moot issue now. I'd like to hope it will stay that way.

Apologies for the delay on the reply. Had some stuff come up I had to attend to the last few days which prevented me from getting back to you on the matter.
36 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/5/16

Hairbelly wrote:

Moot point now since Ad-Blockers are working again and the nag video is gone.


Well it seems that's changed, because I'm over at the library using their machine and the nag video is not gone.
You must be logged in to post.