First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next  Last
Post Reply Should a person's general welfare be guaranteed and unconditional?
39137 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / San Francisco Bay...
Offline
Posted 7/1/16

tkayt wrote:

Some are talking about basic income in the future when automation increases leading to loss of jobs. There's also some places where it's on trial. Here's some sites talking about it.

http://basicincome.org.uk/reasons-support-basic-income/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_income

http://www.basicincome.org/basic-income/



A basic income is an income unconditionally granted to all on an individual basis, without means test or work requirement. It is a form of minimum income guarantee that differs from those that now exist in various European countries in three important ways:

it is being paid to individuals rather than households;
it is paid irrespective of any income from other sources;
it is paid without requiring the performance of any work or the willingness to accept a job if offered
.

I think this could work in the future depending on how it is managed and when it starts. It will allow the workforce to be all skilled and to keep updating when necessary. We already live in a society where some choose not to work. Others can't work temporarily or long term or can only manage part-time work. It's not about taking from the rich and giving to the poor either. It's meant to replace all current social welfare programs and unemployment programs and is cheaper to implement.


I'm curious how this is fairing in places where it's on trial. My immediate question is how will they control for inflation. For example, if everyone on basic income can afford an apartment for at most $500 per month (with roommates, 1 bedroom, etc. etc.), what's to stop landlords from raising rent to appeal to those who have basic income and additional income? Perhaps this isn't happening on places where it's on trial, and my concern is unfounded, but I'm both skeptical and curious how such a policy would work in practice.
20765 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Offline
Posted 7/1/16

VZ68 wrote:


Ryulightorb wrote:



Phones are so cheap there is no reason not to have one.


Then get a job and pay for it yourself if you NEED it.


I'm studying for university which is more important.

Also where i live you can look for work for years and find nothing it's not as simple as "Get a job"
20765 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Offline
Posted 7/1/16 , edited 7/1/16

VZ68 wrote:


Zoraprime wrote:


VZ68 wrote:

You don't have a job, you aren't looking for a job, you don't need a smartphone.


You're technically correct on two of three points. I don't a job. I have two. And I'm not looking to replace either one of them soon.

That said, you didn't respond to any of my points, so I will assume that you have no arguments to make.


Well good for you, you can pay your own bills, and do what you wish with your own money.

I'm talking about the lazy asses that demand the government give them a smartphone so they can shitpost on the taxpayer's dime.


Much like how you shitpost with your own money ?

Not everyone can get a job and some of us would rather study to get better jobs then waste our time with jobs such as working for mcdonalds ;)

I get the money to pay for my phone and everything i use to study from the government you have a problem with that then too bad because without it i couldn't be studying and i would be forever jobless since the job crisis is only getting worse and worse
25139 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Beyond The Wall
Offline
Posted 7/1/16
If you dont work, you dont eat. Simple as that.
20765 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Offline
Posted 7/1/16

dragontackle wrote:

If you dont work, you dont eat. Simple as that.


If you don't study you don't work.

if you don't eat you don't study.

Hmm...i see a lot of problems with such limited thinking.

Going off that kind of thinking people should be working as mcdonalds employees or in a supermarket over studying for a good job that can actually make something of there life.
25139 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Beyond The Wall
Offline
Posted 7/1/16 , edited 7/1/16

Ryulightorb wrote:


dragontackle wrote:

If you dont work, you dont eat. Simple as that.


If you don't study you don't work.

if you don't eat you don't study.

Hmm...i see a lot of problems with such limited thinking.

Going off that kind of thinking people should be working as mcdonalds employees or in a supermarket over studying for a good job that can actually make something of there life.


I consider going to school a form of work. Meant to edit that in later
10831 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
13 / F / California
Offline
Posted 7/1/16

Ryulightorb wrote:


VZ68 wrote:


Ryulightorb wrote:



Phones are so cheap there is no reason not to have one.


Then get a job and pay for it yourself if you NEED it.


I'm studying for university which is more important.

Also where i live you can look for work for years and find nothing it's not as simple as "Get a job"


http://au.indeed.com/jobs-in-Bundaberg-QLD

Elbows and assholes, you need some good hard labor and you'll even save on gym fees.
10831 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
13 / F / California
Offline
Posted 7/1/16

Ryulightorb wrote:


VZ68 wrote:


Zoraprime wrote:


VZ68 wrote:

You don't have a job, you aren't looking for a job, you don't need a smartphone.


You're technically correct on two of three points. I don't a job. I have two. And I'm not looking to replace either one of them soon.

That said, you didn't respond to any of my points, so I will assume that you have no arguments to make.


Well good for you, you can pay your own bills, and do what you wish with your own money.

I'm talking about the lazy asses that demand the government give them a smartphone so they can shitpost on the taxpayer's dime.


Much like how you shitpost with your own money ?

Not everyone can get a job and some of us would rather study to get better jobs then waste our time with jobs such as working for mcdonalds ;)

I get the money to pay for my phone and everything i use to study from the government you have a problem with that then too bad because without it i couldn't be studying and i would be forever jobless since the job crisis is only getting worse and worse



All I got from this is "I waste the taxpayer's money on shit I don't need because..."
20765 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Offline
Posted 7/1/16

dragontackle wrote:


Ryulightorb wrote:


dragontackle wrote:

If you dont work, you dont eat. Simple as that.


If you don't study you don't work.

if you don't eat you don't study.

Hmm...i see a lot of problems with such limited thinking.

Going off that kind of thinking people should be working as mcdonalds employees or in a supermarket over studying for a good job that can actually make something of there life.


I consider going to school a form of work. Meant to edit that in later


Well then what you said makes 100% sense my bad
20765 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Offline
Posted 7/1/16

VZ68 wrote:


Ryulightorb wrote:


VZ68 wrote:


Zoraprime wrote:


VZ68 wrote:

You don't have a job, you aren't looking for a job, you don't need a smartphone.


You're technically correct on two of three points. I don't a job. I have two. And I'm not looking to replace either one of them soon.

That said, you didn't respond to any of my points, so I will assume that you have no arguments to make.


Well good for you, you can pay your own bills, and do what you wish with your own money.

I'm talking about the lazy asses that demand the government give them a smartphone so they can shitpost on the taxpayer's dime.


Much like how you shitpost with your own money ?

Not everyone can get a job and some of us would rather study to get better jobs then waste our time with jobs such as working for mcdonalds ;)

I get the money to pay for my phone and everything i use to study from the government you have a problem with that then too bad because without it i couldn't be studying and i would be forever jobless since the job crisis is only getting worse and worse



All I got from this is "I waste the taxpayer's money on shit I don't need because..."


I don't waste money i get a certain amount from the government and that goes for my education food and leisure needs and rent.
:) i use my money properly and to get my an education for the future

20765 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Offline
Posted 7/1/16

VZ68 wrote:


Ryulightorb wrote:


VZ68 wrote:


Ryulightorb wrote:



Phones are so cheap there is no reason not to have one.


Then get a job and pay for it yourself if you NEED it.


I'm studying for university which is more important.

Also where i live you can look for work for years and find nothing it's not as simple as "Get a job"


http://au.indeed.com/jobs-in-Bundaberg-QLD

Elbows and assholes, you need some good hard labor and you'll even save on gym fees.


I can't do manual labour i bruise easy and have low muscle tone due to being disabled i can't get jobs like packing shelves for examples due to being disabled.

Hard labour is out of the question for me which is why im studying to become a programmer.

Why would i ditch studying to do something that my body cannot handle and that will leave me worse off?
10831 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
13 / F / California
Offline
Posted 7/1/16

Ryulightorb wrote:
I can't do manual labour i bruise easy and have low muscle tone due to being disabled i can't get jobs like packing shelves for examples due to being disabled.

Hard labour is out of the question for me which is why im studying to become a programmer.

Why would i ditch studying to do something that my body cannot handle and that will leave me worse off?


Hahahahahah HAHAHAHAHAhahahhHAHAHahaha bullshit.
Posted 7/1/16
20765 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Offline
Posted 7/1/16 , edited 7/1/16

VZ68 wrote:


Ryulightorb wrote:
I can't do manual labour i bruise easy and have low muscle tone due to being disabled i can't get jobs like packing shelves for examples due to being disabled.

Hard labour is out of the question for me which is why im studying to become a programmer.

Why would i ditch studying to do something that my body cannot handle and that will leave me worse off?


Hahahahahah HAHAHAHAHAhahahhHAHAHahaha bullshit.



It's not bullshit i have Aspergers Syndrome it is common for us to have low muscle tone i also suffer from low testosterone (hypogonadism).

If you want i can prove that i take testosterone for those reasons i have the pills in the cupboard perscribed by my GP. :)

I take 12 pills a day for my body to cope and function.

I used to restock boxes in the back of a store but i couldn't lift the 2 litre tea bottles and other things without doing damage to my back so the place i was working at decided for workplace health and safety that i shouldn't do manual labor there.

I also have gone to centrelink and have been labeled unfit for work by a specialist there so no...not bullshit in the least once again you jump to conclusions and think everything is false...shows how blind and small minded you are :p


Ditching Studying for work that won't lead anywhere is the WORST thing that you can do.

Study > Menial work always when possible.


edit: so you can't call bullshit again like the fool you are being



Now what did we learn here? Don't be an idiot and make assumptions because it makes an ass out of you.
17181 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 7/1/16
Ryulightorb, get an education and become an Engineer

VZ68 wrote:


Ryulightorb wrote:
I can't do manual labour i bruise easy and have low muscle tone due to being disabled i can't get jobs like packing shelves for examples due to being disabled.

Hard labour is out of the question for me which is why im studying to become a programmer.

Why would i ditch studying to do something that my body cannot handle and that will leave me worse off?


Hahahahahah HAHAHAHAHAhahahhHAHAHahaha bullshit.
it's that hard to believe that disabled people exist in this world?
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.