Post Reply How to get region 2 dvds to play on a region 1 player.
4656 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Online
Posted 7/6/16
So I got back from france recently and while I was there I got a box set of anime. Only problem is my blu-ray player doesn't play region 2 dvds. My friend told me that I could mess around with them on my computer to get them to work, but I don't know how and was hoping you guys could enlighten me.

Thanks in advance.
79713 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/6/16 , edited 7/6/16
Right click on player
choose properties
choose hardware tab
choose properties while player is highlighted
choose dvd region tab
highlight new region
press ok

There are software options out there that will allow you to play different regions without the hassle of changing the region of the player. You can find them if you google it.
46382 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Sweden
Online
Posted 7/6/16 , edited 7/6/16

octorockandroll wrote:

So I got back from france recently and while I was there I got a box set of anime. Only problem is my blu-ray player doesn't play region 2 dvds. My friend told me that I could mess around with them on my computer to get them to work, but I don't know how and was hoping you guys could enlighten me.

Thanks in advance.


you can use software that unlocks the region code of dvd's and blu-ray's, however I would advise you from using them since many comes with a parting gift (virus).

If you only have a blu-ray player then I'd say you should use method 1 below. But if you got a pc then use method 2.

1. Most blu-ray's and DVD's have a chapter where the accual content is, so try to change the chapter to maybe 3 or 4 to bypass the menus and get into the video.

2. If you have a pc with a disc drive then download and install VLC, then play it from there without a problem
46382 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Sweden
Online
Posted 7/6/16
I guess you could also install handbreak and rip the dvd/blu-ray of all it's content, that way you'll get it on your HDD and can put it on dropbox or something and play anywhere, including your phone
16 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Toki Toki City
Offline
Posted 7/6/16
Honestly I would second (as TheOmegaForce got there first) and highly recommend VLC media player as it doesn't block any region locked DVDs/blu rays and at the most it requires some new codecs for Blu Ray.
35088 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / F / Seireitei, Soul S...
Offline
Posted 7/6/16

PDXollie74 wrote:

Right click on player
choose properties
choose hardware tab
choose properties while player is highlighted
choose dvd region tab
highlight new region
press ok

There are software options out there that will allow you to play different regions without the hassle of changing the region of the player. You can find them if you google it.


This may work for unlimited times on certain devices, but on most, like my computer, you can only change the region for the player a certain amount of times before it won't let you anymore.


TheOmegaForce70941 wrote:


octorockandroll wrote:

So I got back from france recently and while I was there I got a box set of anime. Only problem is my blu-ray player doesn't play region 2 dvds. My friend told me that I could mess around with them on my computer to get them to work, but I don't know how and was hoping you guys could enlighten me.

Thanks in advance.


you can use software that unlocks the region code of dvd's and blu-ray's, however I would advise you from using them since many comes with a parting gift (virus).

If you only have a blu-ray player then I'd say you should use method 1 below. But if you got a pc then use method 2.

1. Most blu-ray's and DVD's have a chapter where the accual content is, so try to change the chapter to maybe 3 or 4 to bypass the menus and get into the video.

2. If you have a pc with a disc drive then download and install VLC, then play it from there without a problem


I've actually been wondering about a solution for this myself since I bought the Japanese version of the first volume of RWBY back when the Rooster Teeth store offered it as a special thing for when the finale of volume 3 came out. Which is actually still available in their store. What they neglected to say in the description though is that it is a region 2 DVD disk and I'm guessing it's the same for the Blu Ray. Windows Media Player only lets you change the region so many times before you can't anymore so I wanted to find a program I can play it in where I don't have to worry about that. I'll check out VLC.
39015 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Tralfamadore
Offline
Posted 7/6/16
Or you can buy a multi region Blu Ray player and play discs from anywhere.
53152 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / colorful colorado
Offline
Posted 7/6/16

tenchi22 wrote:

Or you can buy a multi region Blu Ray player and play discs from anywhere.


Years ago I bought a multi region DVD player. So I can get Japanese anime DVDs.
16 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Toki Toki City
Offline
Posted 7/8/16
I've found that there are no region free blu ray players, unless you have one that you can set the region code of. Which is a massive battle in itself (you tried sifting through hundreds of forum posts and finding your model number?). It was easy with older dvd players (got one myself) but personally I think a good solution is a projector hooked up to a laptop or pc. Not saying that's the easiest or cheaper way but it's definitely piqued my interest.
46382 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Sweden
Online
Posted 7/8/16

tenchi22 wrote:

Or you can buy a multi region Blu Ray player and play discs from anywhere.


But most of them are expensive tho. so it's prob not the best solution
39015 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Tralfamadore
Offline
Posted 7/9/16

TheOmegaForce70941 wrote:


tenchi22 wrote:

Or you can buy a multi region Blu Ray player and play discs from anywhere.


But most of them are expensive tho. so it's prob not the best solution


They run about $150.00 CND for a Blu Ray or $60.00 CND for a DVD from Amazon ca not terribly expensive.
You must be logged in to post.