Why not release the uncensored version of shows on crunchyroll
5107 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Maryland
Offline
Posted 7/6/16 , edited 7/6/16
I know their are some shows that are uncensored on crunchyroll, But their are a lot of censored shows on crunchyroll, like the recent new show Hybrid x Heart. So my question is, why not release the uncensored version of this show? their is already an uncensored version of this show already an it's far more better then seeing black censor bars all day.
14377 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
☆Land of sweets☆
Offline
Posted 7/6/16 , edited 7/6/16
because those uncensored versions are from premium Japanese tv, which means it costs more to get a license.
if enough paying users complain, they might get the uncensored version for a series though.
66789 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / NY
Offline
Posted 7/6/16 , edited 7/6/16
License agreements and partners.

The only place you will see uncensored ecchi anime as it is airing is on AT-X, a premium pay channel in Japan. Viewers there pay for the right to view the uncensored version over the broadcast version in Japan.

CR licenses its shows from the local broadcast stations in Japan typically, so CR is given the same censored assets they are given for broadcast. I'm not even sure CR could get uncensored for some of these shows since AT-X may have an exclusive on them during the initial broadcast period. If CR could get it, but does not, then that is due to the cost being far higher than the demand, at least as far as the current CR subscription price is concerned.
3330 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Germany
Offline
Posted 7/6/16 , edited 7/6/16

ricpor2 wrote:

I know their are some shows that are uncensored on crunchyroll, But their are a lot of censored shows on crunchyroll, like the recent new show Hybrid x Heart. So my question is, why not release the uncensored version of this show? their is already an uncensored version of this show already an it's far more better then seeing black censor bars all day.


To boost DVD/BR-sales.
3829 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / California, USA
Offline
Posted 7/6/16 , edited 7/6/16
They licensed them from Tokyo MX, MBS, Fuji TV, TBS, TV Tokyo and TV Asahi.
3829 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / California, USA
Offline
Posted 7/6/16 , edited 7/6/16

ComboChrist wrote:


ricpor2 wrote:

I know their are some shows that are uncensored on crunchyroll, But their are a lot of censored shows on crunchyroll, like the recent new show Hybrid x Heart. So my question is, why not release the uncensored version of this show? their is already an uncensored version of this show already an it's far more better then seeing black censor bars all day.


To boost DVD/BR-sales.


Well Sentai might license HxH later and get the uncensored version on BD for NA audiences.

38564 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
48 / M / Covington, KY
Offline
Posted 7/6/16 , edited 7/6/16
Everything on Japanese TV is censored. Uncensored versions rarely become available until shows are released on home video.
Guest Pass Litter Moderator
120690 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 7/6/16 , edited 7/7/16

ricpor2 wrote:

I know their are some shows that are uncensored on crunchyroll, But their are a lot of censored shows on crunchyroll, like the recent new show Hybrid x Heart. So my question is, why not release the uncensored version of this show? their is already an uncensored version of this show already an it's far more better then seeing black censor bars all day.


I've moved this to the Advice, Info, Recommendations forum.

You've already received some good answers. As you've noted, every once in a while CR does get something uncensored. This is most common for catalog titles since then it's more likely CR will get whatever version was released on disc. There have been a couple of cases where they got an uncensored simulcast/close-to-simulcast but it's pretty rare. The only ones that immediately come to mind are Terraformars (which they didn't initially have but which they acquired a little while after the simulcast had started; they had the censored first) and My Wife is the Student Council President--we got both censored and uncensored at the same time. With Terraformars I have a feeling they renegotiated things because of the very heavy level of complaints about the hamfisted censoring. With "My Wife is..." I have no idea why that was doable (though the censored version is weird and fun on its own, it's mostly because you could compare it with the original that it was so amusing.)
31021 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 1/16/17 , edited 1/16/17

namealreadytaken wrote:

because those uncensored versions are from premium Japanese tv, which means it costs more to get a license.
if enough paying users complain, they might get the uncensored version for a series though.





sonic720 wrote:

License agreements and partners.

The only place you will see uncensored ecchi anime as it is airing is on AT-X, a premium pay channel in Japan. Viewers there pay for the right to view the uncensored version over the broadcast version in Japan.

CR licenses its shows from the local broadcast stations in Japan typically, so CR is given the same censored assets they are given for broadcast. I'm not even sure CR could get uncensored for some of these shows since AT-X may have an exclusive on them during the initial broadcast period. If CR could get it, but does not, then that is due to the cost being far higher than the demand, at least as far as the current CR subscription price is concerned.


who cares if those are premium paid channels, we pay for the premium version of crunchyroll, so why doesn't crunchyroll pay for the better license? Crunchyroll's estimated revenue per month is $2 million. I think you guys can splurge a little and get a better license.
4516 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/16/17 , edited 1/16/17
2 million a month ? source?

with that kind of money i would think they would update their servie and the forums a bit..
66789 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / NY
Offline
Posted 1/16/17 , edited 1/16/17

AnimeAddictANN69 wrote:

2 million a month ? source?

with that kind of money i would think they would update their servie and the forums a bit..


http://www.forbes.com/sites/laurenorsini/2016/01/13/crunchyroll-leads-by-example-the-future-of-streaming-video-is-niche/#4ac186597d9c


Just look at Crunchyroll, a subset of Ellation that provides nothing but East Asian media to a global audience—and has 750,000 paid subscribers for its trouble. More than 20 million registered users watch Japanese cartoons,...


While there are no sources that report what CR makes in revenue per month, there are sources that reported CR has over 750,000 paid subscribers a year ago. Leaving aside any revenue from the CR store and other avenues like ads, if we assume the $6.95 a month premium price for most users, we get:

$6.95x750,000=$5,212,500 in monthly revenue.

Now bear in mind, this is only revenue and not profit, which is what they would have left after paying their business partners, employees, and other overhead costs for operating. One could assume they might make about $2,000,000 a month in profit from that, but it would only be a guesstimate as well. Since we don't know what CR's costs amount to with contracts and such, it is even harder to tell for sure what they would net when all is said and done.

255 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Texas
Offline
Posted 1/18/17 , edited 8/2/17
I'd pay extra for Premium Plus if it included uncensored anime series. I can easily see that being a large draw of income for CR. Blood, Boobs, Drugs, etc...
Sailor Candy Moderator
221192 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29
Offline
Posted 2/2/18 , edited 2/2/18
Forum clean up ^,^ removing posts from over a year ago!
You must be logged in to post.