First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply Building on Line work. Lets talk about the body and anatomy.
Humms 
10572 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / CAN, ON
Offline
Posted 7/7/16
So I am never one to ask for help, but I will always take advice, and I will always accept helpful advice, and if people help me; I respect that.

I guess what I'm trying to say I would like some help xD

Just with direction and, advice.

I recently started using a method I found on a video to start line work with steps to help clean it up, and get a general idea on how the drawing is going to look. You start with a light color, and gradually build up to your final black lines.

The thing is, in order to get the smoothest lines you have to complete the line in one stroke. Is there any good tips to finding a smoother pen stroke?

And I have found that my anatomy is always Looking flat. Any good tips on how to create a fuller looking body/ drawing?


Early start to line work, but already I know the shoulders are way too wide/ broad/ thick. Mid section is flat with basic understanding of positioning, same with the lower body, but I do like the arms and hands so far. The face is good, and hair is basically a breeze, except putting detail in

I want people to criticize the Shit out of this sketch, because from here on out I want to strive to make the least amount of mistakes as possible. Drawing has become a pretty big deal to me, and its time for me to stop being so stubborn

What say you, CR?

42443 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 7/7/16 , edited 7/7/16
I can't draw and I doubt I would be any help to you.


All I can say is practice makes perfect.
13141 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 7/7/16
You could always sketch it out and then trace over it in a different layer. I don't have any experience in digital drawing but thats usually a quick solution. Otherwise, bust out the eraser and zoom in a lot and just trim it down to a solid line (if that is what you want).

As for the anatomy, I think this is pretty good. My main suggestions would be:
-Increase the width of the torso (and define the ribs more)
-Make the curve of the back flow into the butt better
-Its hard to tell what is going on in the neck area, but I think the shoulders can point down more (they should flow out of the neck)

As far as pose design, if you are doing a look over the shoulder picture, you usually want to turn the body a bit towards the direction they are looking. Also, if you are getting the directly behind view, the head should be turned a little bit more to the front.
Humms 
10572 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / CAN, ON
Offline
Posted 7/7/16

qualeshia3 wrote:

I can't draw and I doubt I would be any help to you.


All I can say is practice makes perfect.


It sure does
Humms 
10572 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / CAN, ON
Offline
Posted 7/7/16

sundin13 wrote:

You could always sketch it out and then trace over it in a different layer. I don't have any experience in digital drawing but thats usually a quick solution. Otherwise, bust out the eraser and zoom in a lot and just trim it down to a solid line (if that is what you want).

As for the anatomy, I think this is pretty good. My main suggestions would be:
-Increase the width of the torso (and define the ribs more)
-Make the curve of the back flow into the butt better
-Its hard to tell what is going on in the neck area, but I think the shoulders can point down more (they should flow out of the neck)

As far as pose design, if you are doing a look over the shoulder picture, you usually want to turn the body a bit towards the direction they are looking. Also, if you are getting the directly behind view, the head should be turned a little bit more to the front.



Before I would just dedicate one single layer and correct the lines by zooming and earasing, but it takes way to fricken long, and sometimes it discourages me. So this way I can basically re draw everything until its perfect and smooth through creating multiple layers.

Yea, I have been trying to make it curve in better. Actually saying that, I'm definitely going to turn the body more to align with the face properly, because I like where the face is now. I like where the lower body is now, and ill definitely pop that shoulder up more to thin out the neck
13141 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 7/7/16

Humms wrote:

Yea, I have been trying to make it curve in better. Actually saying that, I'm definitely going to turn the body more to align with the face properly, because I like where the face is now. I like where the lower body is now, and ill definitely pop that shoulder up more to thin out the neck


Okay, I look forward to it! Drawing from angles as opposed to straight on makes everything more difficult but breaking things down into shapes helps. As for the lower body, where are the legs supposed to be?
Humms 
10572 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / CAN, ON
Offline
Posted 7/7/16

sundin13 wrote:


Humms wrote:

Yea, I have been trying to make it curve in better. Actually saying that, I'm definitely going to turn the body more to align with the face properly, because I like where the face is now. I like where the lower body is now, and ill definitely pop that shoulder up more to thin out the neck


Okay, I look forward to it! Drawing from angles as opposed to straight on makes everything more difficult but breaking things down into shapes helps. As for the lower body, where are the legs supposed to be?


The legs will be along the tail, but the feet, calves will find their way popping out in view just before the tail ends, just to make the tail longer in comparison to the rest of the lower body, and obviously the thighs being barely visible, but really adding to that relaxed pose.

Right now they definitely need more positioning and presence.
13141 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 7/7/16

Humms wrote:
The legs will be along the tail, but the feet, calves will find their way popping out in view just before the tail ends, just to make the tail longer in comparison to the rest of the lower body, and obviously the thighs being barely visible, but really adding to that relaxed pose.

Right now they definitely need more positioning and presence.


So she's making a kind of diving pose?

I think in that case, the angle between the torso and the legs might be too steep. Maybe shift the torso 8ish degrees clockwise?
Humms 
10572 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / CAN, ON
Offline
Posted 7/7/16

sundin13 wrote:



So she's making a kind of diving pose?

I think in that case, the angle between the torso and the legs might be too steep. Maybe shift the torso 8ish degrees clockwise?


Not diving, shes basically laying down, but proping herself up with her right arm

but what you say Makes sense. Thats why I was stressing about the actual body positioning, because I want to show the crease in the back while still being able to curve into the current pose shifting it over does sound like the most logical solution, but then I'm back to square one with trying to make the torso fuller.

Hurray! I think step one would be to shift that torso.
24306 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / Various
Offline
Posted 7/8/16
One thing you're doing that I know used to be a problem for me, too, is that you're making everything on 90-degree angles or parallel to the picture plane. Try putting things at more of an angle - yes, it involves foreshortening (or it can), but it makes pictures look so much less flat. Maybe even shift the angle a little, so instead of being parallel to her seat, the "camera" is more in relation to her, or to whatever she's reaching towards (depending on what you're going for).
8784 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
AKR
Online
Posted 7/8/16
297 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Puerto Rico
Offline
Posted 7/8/16
There is nothing better than having reference when drawing. I posed this model based on the drawing, hopefully it can help you visualize the anatomy.



I also took the liberty of taking a pic from another good angle (this is the magic this app) that would make for a great wallpaper-like artwork.
(You have room to go wild on that tail without blocking the drawing.)

Humms 
10572 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / CAN, ON
Offline
Posted 7/8/16

LavenderMintRose wrote:

One thing you're doing that I know used to be a problem for me, too, is that you're making everything on 90-degree angles or parallel to the picture plane. Try putting things at more of an angle - yes, it involves foreshortening (or it can), but it makes pictures look so much less flat. Maybe even shift the angle a little, so instead of being parallel to her seat, the "camera" is more in relation to her, or to whatever she's reaching towards (depending on what you're going for).


I'm in the process of pulling in that mid section, not making it so flat. It's driving me crazy, but slowly it's becoming more realistic I really want to work with certain angles, then maybe I can start making some backgrounds or interactions.
Humms 
10572 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / CAN, ON
Offline
Posted 7/8/16



xD you just put in a couple lines, and I couldn't even make them that smooth .

I'm fixing the upper body now so it can look a lot more curvy and fuller
Humms 
10572 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / CAN, ON
Offline
Posted 7/8/16

DViper15 wrote:

There is nothing better than having reference when drawing. I posed this model based on the drawing, hopefully it can help you visualize the anatomy.



I also took the liberty of taking a pic from another good angle (this is the magic this app) that would make for a great wallpaper-like artwork.
(You have room to go wild on that tail without blocking the drawing.)



Thanks man. I appreciate the reference

I might actually consider doing it in that second pose after I finish this one. Looks like a powerful pose, which is a good direction for the character
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.