Post Reply Manga or light novel suggestions
348 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / York
Offline
Posted 7/8/16
So my sister has just got into anime but she's a really big reader too so I want to get her a manga or light novel for her birthday (^-^) The only problem is I don't read much manga or any light novels myself so I don't know what's good

I want something that she probably hasn't watched as an anime but something that is good and maybe something that doesn't have too many volumes so she doesn't have a lot to catch up on if she likes it. For reference she's into anime like SAO and Attack on Titan.

Thanks
Vempy 
19078 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / Canada
Offline
Posted 7/8/16
I'd like to take a quick second to point out that reading action-type manga and watching action anime are two completely different entities. I love quite a few action packed anime series, including AoT, but cannot find the same interest in the manga. Something about manga with heavy action just doesn't appeal to me. I wanted to point this out because liking the anime does not always translate in liking the manga.

That being said how old is your sister and do you think she would appreciate shoujo? I read a lot of shoujo and could recommend some good series that would appeal to an older audience and is not the run of the mill high school romance.
348 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / York
Offline
Posted 7/8/16 , edited 7/8/16

Vempy wrote:

I'd like to take a quick second to point out that reading action-type manga and watching action anime are two completely different entities. I love quite a few action packed anime series, including AoT, but cannot find the same interest in the manga. Something about manga with heavy action just doesn't appeal to me. I wanted to point this out because liking the anime does not always translate in liking the manga.

That being said how old is your sister and do you think she would appreciate shoujo? I read a lot of shoujo and could recommend some good series that would appeal to an older audience and is not the run of the mill high school romance.


Yeah I get that there's a difference and she might not be interested in action-based manga I just thought it might be useful as a starting point

She'll be 16 soon though she hasn't expressed any interest in Shoujo anime as far as I'm aware but there's no reason to say she wouldn't appreciate shoujo manga if you have some recommendations

Thanks
4682 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Dallas, TX
Offline
Posted 7/8/16

jalwood1 wrote:

So my sister has just got into anime but she's a really big reader too so I want to get her a manga or light novel for her birthday (^-^) The only problem is I don't read much manga or any light novels myself so I don't know what's good

I want something that she probably hasn't watched as an anime but something that is good and maybe something that doesn't have too many volumes so she doesn't have a lot to catch up on if she likes it. For reference she's into anime like SAO and Attack on Titan.

Thanks


Sadly I feel a lot of really good light novels are popular anime.

Is it Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in A Dungeon
Overlord

Both similar to SAO. Both are good.



348 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / York
Offline
Posted 7/8/16

Gutzies wrote:


jalwood1 wrote:

So my sister has just got into anime but she's a really big reader too so I want to get her a manga or light novel for her birthday (^-^) The only problem is I don't read much manga or any light novels myself so I don't know what's good

I want something that she probably hasn't watched as an anime but something that is good and maybe something that doesn't have too many volumes so she doesn't have a lot to catch up on if she likes it. For reference she's into anime like SAO and Attack on Titan.

Thanks


Sadly I feel a lot of really good light novels are popular anime.

Is it Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in A Dungeon
Overlord

Both similar to SAO. Both are good.





I hadn't thought about is it wrong to try and pick up girls in a dungeon I've seen the anime but I don't think my sister has so that could be perfect. If not then I'll check out overlord too. Thanks for the suggestions
Vempy 
19078 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / Canada
Offline
Posted 7/9/16 , edited 7/9/16
A good mature shoujo is MARS. It is older and is difficult to find. I think TokyoPop may have put it out of print at this point. Also, it's pretty long with 15 volumes.


More recent and a little easier the find but by the same author is ES: Eternal Sabbath. Not a shoujo and not a romance, more psychological, supernatural.



Orange was just recently adapted into an anime (this season), and is a very solid manga. It's also a light novel though I've only read the manga. I don't know if this has been liscenced in English yet, but it's easy enough to find online. Although you're looking for presents to buy so likely a bad suggestion.



Kagerou Days. Recently liscenced in English and easy to find, plus it's awesome. It's part of the whole Kagerou Project, which includes Mekakucity Actors. Not shoujo.



Bokura Ga Ita/We Were There, absolutely adorable shoujo. Has an anime adaptation that covers the first half of the manga but unlike most anime in this situation it actually has a satisfactory ending.



Blue Spring Ride. Another cute well done shoujo. Also with an anime which is a true gem of the genre. Pretty sure this is liscenced in English...



Dengaki Daisy. Cute, funny shoujo with some action.



You also can't go wrong with pretty much anything by CLAMP, notables being: Chobits, Clover, and WISH.

An alternative to buying her the volumes would be to get her a gift card and then she can choose. Just write in the card that the money's for manga. I do this with my brother. He really likes unique board games and has a store he usually goes to. It's not a chain and so has no gift cards but I'll throw some cash in a card and add the caveat that this to go buy a board game. Or you could take her to the bookstore let her look and choose then pay for them for her.
348 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / York
Offline
Posted 7/9/16
Thanks Vempy :D

I hadn't thought about taking her to pick one That's a fantastic idea if I can't find anything quite right.
You must be logged in to post.