First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next  Last
Post Reply My experience playing as a female character in an MMO
6347 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Norway
Offline
Posted 7/10/16

Freddy96NO wrote:


Mrcreepday wrote:
Noo, what are you guys doing? Stop making me want to play Runescape again! My childhood <3
about clan wars? (played RS 3 now? dunno if they got the html 5 version working?)
even though I kinda dislike the changes (theme and colors) vs the old one.





Eww, why would I play that ****? I'd rather play old school.
Posted 7/10/16 , edited 7/10/16
I mostly only play female characters, for lengthy reasons I won't get into, and I've never experienced anything out of the ordinary.

In an L2 (U.S.) PVE clan (12% of members were female) there was no inappropriate behavior.
In an L2 (U.S.) PVP clan (10% of members were female) there was no inappropriate behavior (but see note below).
In an EQ2 (U.S.) raid clan (40% of members were female) there was no inappropriate behavior.
In an SWTOR (U.K.) raid clan (25% of members were female) there was no inappropriate behavior.

Only in one MMO that was generally accepted as the best Open World PVP MMORPG ever created, where our clan leader was female, did I notice a flood of harassment directed at her, as a result of us plowing through everyone on the server. It was sexual harassment, but like any type of harassment found in that particular game. Shit posting was common, even encouraged, and she could stand on her own just fine like anyone else.

So, I don't know. I'd be careful so as to not accidentally mix up some of what you may perhaps only have imagined--in with what has actually happened. Like for instance when a girl from out of the blue feels the need to inform me that she has a boyfriend, as if to warn me, because for some reason my intent to engage in conversation with her could only have meant that I was sexually or romantically attracted to her. OR, if you were to repeat this one scenario that actually happened to you in your head for so long, that when you talk about it, you unintentionally make it seem as if it happens much more frequently than it actually does. If it happened once, then it happened once, it didn't happen all day, every day, for eternity. I'm not saying this to invalid anyone's experiences, but to implore people to keep it in mind for the future. That, not everyone wants to fuck you. I mean, it's a bit grandiose to presume.
10831 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
13 / F / California
Offline
Posted 7/10/16
Moon Guard 4 lyfe.

Never had any problems. Strange.
Posted 7/10/16
I never had issues in game
Posted 7/10/16 , edited 7/10/16
Sometimes I wonder if all guys think girls are made of cotton candy or something way more delicate that being called "qt" or being approached by a stranger is life threatening to them...

It's a bit irritating actually.

As someone who has experienced being the only female both in an online (Vent) and offline (internet cafe / card shop) male-dominated space, I must say that the observations being made are completely skewed. That's probably because the most vocal about their experiences have been the ones who had bad experiences (like the OP here)..

Spoilered to save space. Heh..
3200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / F / Polaris
Offline
Posted 7/10/16
I used to play female characters all the time because I am one. But, I was often annoyed by male characters asking me to be their "couple" or asking for my personal information. So now, I play male characters. To be honest, it's quite enjoyable. I get more friends than getting flirty guys chasing around me in game
15947 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / Cold and High
Offline
Posted 7/10/16

Rinrinrinn wrote:
Sometimes I wonder if all guys think girls are made of cotton candy or something
but they do!
All that glitter and sparkles that gets thrown out when you hug them really hard...
its like a Piñata, there is all kind of sweets inside

*takes a look inside and finds a mars bar*

oh wait..
I hate mars bars..
I don't think I will ever come back to that Piñata!

also if you want someone to watch (if you like watching stuff)

Hannah Plays! - Batman: Arkham City
https://youtu.be/6dkMHf1ZvxI?list=PLK9CD9s2JfIc91uLT4aHaU9Ohwjo6sqxi
4003 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Abyss
Online
Posted 7/10/16

courtney9094 wrote:


Dark_Alma wrote:


You had issues on Runescape? I played that game for far too many days accumulative days! 273 days or ~6552 hours. I very rarely met anyone on there who was that way to girls. Of course we all tended to be older high leveled. Usually had the girls coming to us for our money and what not.

Always skyped with those "chicks" and chicks to make sure they were real. Actually met some female friends who I later met up with IRL on there. The only time I saw issues with girls in in Free to Play. Go to world 1 Lumbridge and you would see "looking for gf, 50k gold to share!" Stuff like that. I had too much fun there.

The only time I have seen even a little issue with being a girl was in League of Legends. Probably has to do with the current generation and their ages.



Yeah got hit on a lot actually. Plus was never a member at all was 100% free to play. So makes sense in my opinion high level members would be nice. Do to the fact they didnt want to get banned or anything, do to paying and long hours put in. While free players you get banned you just made another account. So yeah free play wasnt all that great.

League of legends only played that game a little bit (have a low end laptop) but from little I played no issues.


Yea, RuneScape f2p was pretty bad. As soon as you got members though it was 100% different. Level didn't matter too much there.

If you want an MMO that no one cares about your gender in, try TERA. 100% sexualized, all men are woman and all women are men. Good combat system though. I played it for the loll's at first. It wasn't as bad as I thought! Low end cpu cant run it though.
2698 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Texas
Offline
Posted 7/10/16
I remember doing that in some old game I can't remember what it was called but man, the free stuff and the constant, "hey" and "whats up" messages from people I never talked too. It was like, holy crap, this is really happening. Eventually I just started to abuse it and got a ton of free stuff.
4003 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Abyss
Online
Posted 7/10/16

Mrcreepday wrote:



Noo, what are you guys doing? Stop making me want to play Runescape again! My childhood <3
I loved those times.

Anyway, this actually happened to me when I was like 12 when I played the game. I played as a female character because for whatever reason, cuteness I guess. And, there was this one guy following me around, messaging me all the time and such. One day he asked me to be his girlfriend, and I was like "What...? I am a guy". And then he left immediately! Haha, pretty funny. Probably broke his poor, poor heart though.


You and never escape the Runescape nostalgia train. I started in 99 and quit in 2012 lol. That is 13 years of playing the game. Sometimes I wish I didn't sell my account, though I made big money off it!

Max stats, max cash pile, rares out the arse (I hoard, that phat drop day, sold most for about 100m though... sad day)
7048 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Strong Island, NY
Offline
Posted 7/10/16 , edited 7/10/16
Dude, that is SO Xbox Live for you! XB Live is so full of that shit that I cancelled mine and now just play games online free because I built a beastly PC! I also miss free PlayStation Network play too. :-(

Also, I play a female character in Final Fantasy XIV and I freaking get hit on and get special treatment by raid groups ALL THE TIME. At first I didn't mind but now everybody thinks that when I say I'm really a guy, I'm just joking because they think I've grown tired of being hit on. *sigh*
5294 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F
Offline
Posted 7/10/16
omg yes the struggle! my friend lists are mostly composed of men lol because they moment they see a girl they add them. and then the first PM u get is "whats your name?" & "how old are you?" haha. or the famous, "you got an fb?" this one guy said he'd be my slave boy?? once i told them i was a 50 year old man they stop sending pms lol. its fun though to get so many offers to help with quests though just cuz ur a girl.

i've tried playing as a guy before to avoid this but honestly i can't stand to not have a cute character. i only last a little while playing as a boy because i like dressing up the girls.
Posted 7/10/16 , edited 7/10/16

Dark_Alma

Yea, RuneScape f2p was pretty bad. As soon as you got members though it was 100% different. Level didn't matter too much there.

If you want an MMO that no one cares about your gender in, try TERA. 100% sexualized, all men are woman and all women are men. Good combat system though. I played it for the loll's at first. It wasn't as bad as I thought! Low end cpu cant run it though.


I have tried Tera before even though my computer couldn't handle it but that was before I realized system specs mattered in all honesty. When I got my laptop I thought computer games didn't have specs or anything. So at the time I played a whole bunch of high end mmos and bought a few high end games off of steam lol. It wasn't until I bought and played skyrim (modded of course) I realized I my laptop wasn't up to par to even run most of the games I was playing and started realizing my laptop was low end and after awhile the high end games started lagging even more and my computer started heating up. So that made me realize my laptop isn't all that great.

Anyway I actually did like playing Terra the graphics where actually pretty good and liked the combat system.

Oh and really can't play anything anyway my hard drive died and having to run a OS off of a USB at the moment.


PeripheralVisionary wrote:

League of Legends has probably the worst community, even beating out Dead Frontier for me. Too much E-peen in both games.


I really didn't play league of legends as much. I liked the game but it was a bit repetitive and only got like 25-30 fps while playing so computer really couldn't handle it. Dead frontier no idea lol.
85255 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Louisville, KY
Online
Posted 7/10/16
I've played as a female in MMO for years and I never had any of those types of things happen. Experienced MMO players just assume you are male until you say otherwise.
4003 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Abyss
Online
Posted 7/10/16

courtney9094 wrote:


Dark_Alma

Yea, RuneScape f2p was pretty bad. As soon as you got members though it was 100% different. Level didn't matter too much there.

If you want an MMO that no one cares about your gender in, try TERA. 100% sexualized, all men are woman and all women are men. Good combat system though. I played it for the loll's at first. It wasn't as bad as I thought! Low end cpu cant run it though.


I have tried Tera before even though my computer couldn't handle it but that was before I realized system specs mattered in all honesty. When I got my laptop I thought computer games didn't have specs or anything. So at the time I played a whole bunch of high end mmos and bought a few high end games off of steam lol. It wasn't until I bought and played skyrim (modded of course) I realized I my laptop wasn't up to par to even run most of the games I was playing and started realizing my laptop was low end and after awhile the high end games started lagging even more and my computer started heating up. So that made me realize my laptop isn't all that great.

Anyway I actually did like playing Terra the graphics where actually pretty good and liked the combat system.

Oh and really can't play anything anyway my hard drive died and having to run a OS off of a USB at the moment.


PeripheralVisionary wrote:

League of Legends has probably the worst community, even beating out Dead Frontier for me. Too much E-peen in both games.


I really didn't play league of legends as much. I liked the game but it was a bit repetitive and only got like 25-30 fps while playing so computer really couldn't handle it. Dead frontier no idea lol.


Get a newer laptop then lol. I need one soon. Most of the current ones are going to drop big time in price soon. So a month or two is a good idea!
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.