First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply Hikaru Sulu: Gay Or Straight Controversy.
10620 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/12/16
9360 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Chico, CA
Offline
Posted 7/12/16 , edited 7/12/16

MysticGon wrote:

Did Sulu ever show any attraction to anyone in the show? I really don't remember.

Sulu shows some attraction to Uhura in the original series, in both the normal and mirror universes. But the show wasn't written around the romantic relationships of anyone besides Kirk, Spock, and McCoy. Or just Kirk really. Still, George Takei says he always played Sulu straight and the creator, Gene Roddenberry, didn't care for writing about homosexual characters until the 1980s.
10620 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/12/16
They never really explained how he managed to get his daughter, either.
9360 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Chico, CA
Offline
Posted 7/12/16

gornotck wrote:

They never really explained how he managed to get his daughter, either.


Based on the fact he was straight before, it's natural and fairly accurate to assume he had a wife.
28048 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Green Bay
Offline
Posted 7/12/16
Sulu has a daughter who appears on camera in Star Trek Generations. Of course that doesn't prove that he's straight.
10620 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/12/16

Thoix wrote:


gornotck wrote:

They never really explained how he managed to get his daughter, either.


Based on the fact he was straight before, it's natural and fairly accurate to assume he had a wife.


According to Memory Alpha, that was the explanation in a computer game, and he was still married by Generations, where the daughter appeared.
According to Memory Alpha, a novel explained it as a chance encounter with a woman, and he didn't even know about her until the mother died.

I would lean toward the wife, myself, because Sulu really seemed to love the flowers. Having a by-blow doesn't seem like him.
8351 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/12/16
Oh right, there's a Star trek movie coming out.

28498 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
55 / M / Upstate NY
Offline
Posted 7/12/16
I've read that even George Takei didn't want it, the writer and director ignored him
19972 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/12/16
honestly, this issue highlights exactly what irritates me about all the social issues currently going on: whether it be about race, immigration, sexuality, etc. I am glad that society is starting to show signs of leaning towards love and acceptance rather than persecution and judgement. But the way these issues have been handled is disgusting. it's like the media and society scrambles to just overload culture with these issues, forcing them down everyone's throats and basically setting up society the same way as it was before: if you don't believe this way, you are wrong and weird. so when i saw takei's comment about the gay character in the new film, i really appreciated it. basically, yeah cool introducing a homosexual character into the series, that's fine. but instead of respecting the source material and the man who plotted out these characters and actually striving to make a memorable homosexual character, they just remake the same character like they are scrambling to say "look, we are so cool with it!". acceptance is a two-way street: both sides thinking they are right is what creates hate and hostility.
6090 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / US
Offline
Posted 7/12/16

gornotck wrote:

George Takei hated it. I think that's all anyone needs to say about it.



^
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.