First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
Post Reply Anime fans have the unique perspective to understand racism in mainstream media
12636 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Marshall, Michigan
Offline
Posted 7/19/16 , edited 7/19/16
Anime fans have the unique perspective to understand the common perspective of many minority ethnic groups in mainstream media.

As an American anime fan, I often find myself wanting more Americans in anime. I know it's unrealistic. Anime is made for Japanese people, after all. Yet, I'd feel I'd someone I could relate to better. I'm often disappointed with the stereotypical portrayal of Americans (likes guns, loud, always trying to push themselves on other people). It's to the point where I get excited merely over properly done English sentences. There almost always feels like there's a gap.

Then I realized something. In Japanese culture, I'm the minority. When we watch anime, we gain the perspective of being the minority and thus can have better empathy towards many of the complaints by minorities and their supporters in our culture

Edit: I'm not saying it's bad for Japanese show to be about Japanese people. I'm not saying we need to change all the tv shows. But while we may all be equal, we are not all same. We have different ideas, appearances, and behavior patterns. When someone is a minority, they can often feel a desire to want one of 'their own' to be in the shows. Of course, merit is important, but that doesn't mean we can't feel empathy with other frustrations. If we can't, maybe we need to step outside our own perspective for a moment.

I'm NOT saying low representation of a group is injustice.

Posted 7/19/16
I've never got offended by anything I've seen in Japanese anime
12636 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Marshall, Michigan
Offline
Posted 7/19/16

stars201 wrote:

I've never got offended by anything I've seen in Japanese anime


Oh, I wasn't offended, I just wanted characters like me is all.
8790 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
AKR
Online
Posted 7/19/16

jtjumper wrote:

Anime fans have the unique perspective to understand racism in mainstream media.

As an American anime fan, I often find myself wanting more Americans in anime. I know it's unrealistic. Anime is made for Japanese people, after all. Yet, I'd feel I'd someone I could relate to better. I'm often disappointed with the stereotypical portrayal of Americans (likes guns, loud, always trying to push themselves on other people). It's to the point where I get excited merely over properly done English sentences. There almost always feels like there's a gap.

Then I realized something. In Japanese culture, I'm the minority. When we watch anime, we gain the perspective of being the minority and thus can have better empathy towards many of the complaints by minorities and their supporters in our culture ("Whitewashing", anyone?).






Well minority we are indeed there... More americans? Why not africans? Or russians?
12636 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Marshall, Michigan
Offline
Posted 7/19/16 , edited 7/19/16

Jophar_Vorin wrote:

Well minority we are indeed there... More americans? Why not africans? Or russians?

Why not, indeed? It's almost as though manga authors have never heard of black people. And what is a russian? Is that some kind of pastry?
8790 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
AKR
Online
Posted 7/19/16

jtjumper wrote:


Jophar_Vorin wrote:

Well minority we are indeed there... More americans? Why not africans? Or russians?

Why not, indeed? It's almost as though manga authors have never heard of black people. And what is a russian? Is that some kind of pastry?


Is that some kind of pastry That made me laugh! Thank you c: !

5974 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Terra Australis (...
Offline
Posted 7/19/16 , edited 7/19/16
Why does this matter. That's my question. Why the does the race of the characters matter?

Because this question, you posit, is TRIVIAL. Cultures, maybe I could understand, but race? Race? And not only that, you clearly posit the concept of white washing as if it was valid.

Are you saying that the race of someone is what decides an aspect of attachment? That them being "insert race" makes them more relatable because they share the same race?


This race argument is like arguing over the fact that not enough kids use the colour blue for example in the crayon box even though there's only like 2 blue and 16 greens.

Yes, I just compared this to crayons. And this idiotic concept known as White washing is exactly that.


Trivial.

Watch this, for a minute https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3cGfrExozQ

Take it in. Because Race shouldn't matter.
Posted 7/19/16

jtjumper wrote:


Jophar_Vorin wrote:

Well minority we are indeed there... More americans? Why not africans? Or russians?

Why not, indeed? It's almost as though manga authors have never heard of black people. And what is a russian? Is that some kind of pastry?


12636 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Marshall, Michigan
Offline
Posted 7/19/16

CreatorTheta wrote:

Why does this matter. That's my question. Why the does the race of the characters matter?

Because this question, you posit, is TRIVIAL. Cultures, maybe I could understand, but race? Race? And not only that, you clearly posit the concept of white washing as if it was valid.

Are you saying that the race of someone is what decides an aspect of attachment? That them being "insert race" makes them more relatable because they share the same race?


This race argument is like arguing over the fact that not enough kids use the colour blue for example in the crayon box even though there's only like 2 blue and 16 greens.

Yes, I just compared this to crayons. And this idiotic concept known as White washing is exactly that.


Trivial.

Watch this, for a minute https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3cGfrExozQ

Take it in. Because Race shouldn't matter.


Yeah, I used 'race' when I should have used 'ethnic groups.' Maybe, I misunderstand the concept of whitewashing. I was thinking about how most main characters in us television and cinema are white. I'm not it's wrong or bad. I'm saying we can understand the disappointment. of underrepresented minority ethnic groups when we watch a lot of anime.
255 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / MD
Offline
Posted 7/19/16 , edited 7/20/16

jtjumper wrote:

Anime fans have the unique perspective to understand racism in mainstream media.

As an American anime fan, I often find myself wanting more Americans in anime. I know it's unrealistic. Anime is made for Japanese people, after all. Yet, I'd feel I'd someone I could relate to better. I'm often disappointed with the stereotypical portrayal of Americans (likes guns, loud, always trying to push themselves on other people). It's to the point where I get excited merely over properly done English sentences. There almost always feels like there's a gap.

Then I realized something. In Japanese culture, I'm the minority. When we watch anime, we gain the perspective of being the minority and thus can have better empathy towards many of the complaints by minorities and their supporters in our culture ("Whitewashing", anyone?).






Sounds like a personal petty complaint to me. The Japanese language is different from the English language so sometimes translations can be a bit off. Do you realize in Japan the population of Japanese people is a little over 98% leaving all other ethnic groups and people from other national origins at around 2% which is probably why you don't see a whole lot of Africans or Americans in anime in the first place. If they choose to make an anime with Americans or Africans (or any other ethnic origin) in it then that is their choice they don't have to if they don't want to this doesn't make the Japanese racist by any means I also don't feel empathy towards minorities that have personal (stupid) complaints because they don't always get what they want.
12636 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Marshall, Michigan
Offline
Posted 7/19/16

SylveonLuna wrote:


jtjumper wrote:


Jophar_Vorin wrote:

Well minority we are indeed there... More americans? Why not africans? Or russians?

Why not, indeed? It's almost as though manga authors have never heard of black people. And what is a russian? Is that some kind of pastry?




It's why I said 'almost'. Think about this one: when's the last time a Mexican-American showed up in manga?
5974 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Terra Australis (...
Offline
Posted 7/19/16

I'm not it's wrong or bad. I'm saying we can understand the disappointment. of underrepresented minority ethnic groups when we watch a lot of anime.


......................


I'm not it's wrong or bad. I'm saying we can understand the disappointment. of underrepresented minority ethnic groups when we watch a lot of anime.


..............


I'm not it's wrong or bad. I'm saying we can understand the disappointment. of underrepresented minority ethnic groups when we watch a lot of anime.

.......................................

Okay, this is petty.

I disagree with that disappointment. Because A. They aren't misrepresented in numbers, as there amount of people in tha tcountry in terms or race is extremely low. B. IT'S JUST THE COLOUR OF SKIN.

Goddamn man. This is so trivial.
5974 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Terra Australis (...
Offline
Posted 7/19/16
Anyway, I take my leave with this image. :D


Did it in a span of like a minute, which explains the garbage quality. Obviously. Do what you want with it. Basically the sum of why I left the forums, to a degree. Now, I shall get out of this hell hole, no need to deal with CR anymore, I was an idiot to come back out of frustration.
5206 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / M
Offline
Posted 7/19/16 , edited 7/20/16
This stuff about representing minority groups constantly is honestly a stupid push to try and make everything seem overly equal for no apparent reason. When Martin Luther King Jr. wanted more rights for black people he wasn't asking about parity(not parody) for roles in cartoons, he was talking about equal opportunity in general.
5974 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Terra Australis (...
Offline
Posted 7/19/16 , edited 7/19/16
TheAngryLittleAlc, what they want is Equality of Outcome, which is the COMPLETE ANTHESIS of Equality of Opportunity.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.