First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
Post Reply Anime fans have the unique perspective to understand racism in mainstream media
5206 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / M
Offline
Posted 7/19/16

CreatorTheta wrote:


TheAngryLittleAlchemist wrote:


CreatorTheta wrote:

How does the RACE of the people help this?

It seems you are conflating race with culture.

Which is obviously wrong.

And also, if you don't like anime's often use of Shinto-Buddism referances (Honestly, it isn't as common as you seem to make it out to be), Then watch other mediums. That's what happens when the country that produces the anime like the mythology of the culture.

Look, I get you wanting anime to deviate. But that's what it's doing now. Sure, some have Shinto-Buddism in it, but what about the many THIS SEASON EVEN that don't? Like Mob Psycho, Re:Zero, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, ReWrite, New Game?

Take them on board.


I mean it's not like some of the most popular anime of all time (Neon Genesis Evangelion and Fullmetal Alchemist) represent religions like Christianity and reference Islam at all or anything...

Honestly I think even culturally Japan is more willing to explore different cultures and beliefs then most mediums, so even then I don't get the complaint.


They truly do. They are the most forward thinking nation in terms of acceptance. Though....their culture currently is over working people and such....(or is that china?)


Japan does have problems with working conditions but it's mostly because of large companies finding loop holes or doing illegal shady business, it's no-where near as bad as china were worker abuse is practically legal and executed by the government as well. So ya , Japan is even more socially more forward thinking that most nations.
5974 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Terra Australis (...
Offline
Posted 7/19/16

hemicuda2 wrote:

Please, Please do not bring this worlds drama into anime, don't do that. Why does every little thing have to have a certain race or culture in it just to please others that there is now someone of the same race/culture in said anime. I don't even compare anime to this world because there are so many things that do not make sense in our world but is implemented into anime and it makes sense and i like it.

The reason i love anime is because it's an escape from our shitty world with all this drama about race/culture/sex.

Tbh i like how there is normally just the one type of race/culture in anime. i come to think of anime as a different world.

If i could make my own world there would be only one race, so we could avoid all this drama.



Yeah, this world is kinda rubbish in terms of this garbage. The "progressives" really have taken over social media, and it's sad. It honestly hurts. I would want the same too, if it would stop at least some of this nonsense.
556 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/19/16
Anime came from Japan where the culture of racism do not exist. For historic background, the Western notion of race is a caste system created to divide the laborers in America, it prevent the white laborers from revolting against their landowners by allowing them to use the black laborers as an outlet of their anger. It was later used to justify colonialism. It is now used to protect white immigrants with the stereotype that immigrants are black.
Before the racial caste system was invented, American settler societies was centered on landowners versus laborers where skin color has little social significance. Before the invention of the racial caste system, united black and white laborer rebellions in America was common and it became so threatening that the landowners need to recruit the Native Americans for military assistance.
5206 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / M
Offline
Posted 7/19/16
I just can't believe that a lot of liberals think that people relate to characters based on race. It's backwards thinking masked because of the "minority" appeal. I think if black people were the majority in america you'd never hear people take a black person seriously when they say they can't identify with white characters, yet because they're a minority group it's ok to use completely backwards thinking?

Most of my favorite characters in anime are girls(or at the very least the girl to guy ratio is pretty close). And I'm not a girl. What does gender, or race have to do with anything? If you really on superficial things to connect to characters, I'm sorry but you're petty...
5974 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Terra Australis (...
Offline
Posted 7/19/16 , edited 7/20/16

TheAngryLittleAlchemist wrote:

Japan does have problems with working conditions but it's mostly because of large companies finding loop holes or doing illegal shady business, it's no-where near as bad as china were worker abuse is practically legal and executed by the government as well. So ya , Japan is even more socially more forward thinking that most nations.


Yeah, maybe even the US.....maybe....I mean this "progressive" nonsense isn't really prominent as far as I am aware in that country, and they are very open about sexuality being a positive thing. Though their pornographic censorship laws are pathetic.
5206 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / M
Offline
Posted 7/19/16 , edited 7/20/16

CreatorTheta wrote:

Yeah, maybe even the US.....maybe....I mean this "progressive" nonsense isn't really prominent as far as I am aware in that country, and they are very open about sexuality being a positive thing. Though their pornographic censorship laws are pathetic.


The thing is is that labor issues in japan don't have anything to do with race at all, it just has to do with companies mistreating workers, which is common in almost every civilized country. It has nothing to do with race.

I think it was reported in 2014 or something that 20% of politicians in Japan are gay or lesbian. Yet another reason I can't take the original post seriously.
Posted 7/19/16
About as much as the mainstream, I daresay even less, particularly the ones living in an anime world.

Exposure to how the japanese are and have been for a long period of time, and not being a native to Japan, must be devastating to many weeaboos, so, yah, I guess so. They are honed in on not being japanese and hate their fate to be not born in Japan.

These days I have more respect for the casual viewers, and fell off the boat of weeeabooism a long time ago. I like a few that talk to me, though. They're still people, and I used to be one. Thank god I'm not anymore!






5974 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Terra Australis (...
Offline
Posted 7/19/16

TheAngryLittleAlchemist wrote:

I just can't believe that a lot of liberals think that people relate to characters based on race. It's backwards thinking masked because of the "minority" appeal. I think if black people were the majority in america you'd never hear people take a black person seriously when they say they can't identify with white characters, yet because they're a minority group it's ok to use completely backwards thinking?

Most of my favorite characters in anime are girls(or at the very least the girl to guy ratio is pretty close). And I'm not a girl. What does gender, or race have to do with anything? If you really on superficial things to connect to characters, I'm sorry but you're petty...


Yeah, I agree, I mean Gender and race don't impact my perspective on characters. Right now, it's demented how much the regressive left has really taken down the term liberal. I myself see myself close to a Classical Liberal in the sense....which is nice. Though, I don't really apply labels to myself in general other than that one given how Identity politics corrupt and drag down those within them. (Such as being conflated with morons who do stupid nonsense in your group being the majority of them, it can easily drag you down as you might be somewhat different)

And also Labels....well they don't cover everything universally.
5206 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / M
Offline
Posted 7/19/16

CreatorTheta wrote:


TheAngryLittleAlchemist wrote:

I just can't believe that a lot of liberals think that people relate to characters based on race. It's backwards thinking masked because of the "minority" appeal. I think if black people were the majority in america you'd never hear people take a black person seriously when they say they can't identify with white characters, yet because they're a minority group it's ok to use completely backwards thinking?

Most of my favorite characters in anime are girls(or at the very least the girl to guy ratio is pretty close). And I'm not a girl. What does gender, or race have to do with anything? If you really on superficial things to connect to characters, I'm sorry but you're petty...


Yeah, I agree, I mean Gender and race don't impact my perspective on characters. Right now, it's demented how much the regressive left has really taken down the term liberal. I myself see myself close to a Classical Liberal in the sense....which is nice. Though, I don't really apply labels to myself in general other than that one given how Identity politics corrupt and drag down those within them. (Such as being conflated with morons who do stupid nonsense in your group being the majority of them, it can easily drag you down as you might be somewhat different)

And also Labels....well they don't cover everything universally.


Politically I don't like to identify with either group. It's kind of ridiculous how much people turn of their brains to different ways of thinking just because of superficial labels. If people looked past "democrat" or "republican" we'd have better politicians probably. But honestly if I did attach a label to myself, I'd probably be closer to a classic liberal as well. Although it doesn't even matter I guess because I can't vote for another 2 years :/
5974 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Terra Australis (...
Offline
Posted 7/19/16 , edited 7/20/16

TheAngryLittleAlchemist wrote:

The thing is is that labor issues in japan don't have anything to do with race at all, it just has to do with companies mistreating workers, which is common in almost every civilized country. It has nothing to do with race.

I think it was reported in 2014 or something that 20% of politicians in Japan are gay or lesbian. Yet another reason I can't take the original post seriously.


Of Course! I am glad people see this. I mean it's the culture of Japan that crafts people. Which is the same for nearly every civilised and non civilised country.

Also yeah about that 20% thing, yeah, that's why Yuri and Yaoi anime is quite commonly made, because people find it normal (Damn, I feel like such a loser in regards to yuri anime.........................)

She is so cute :D

:D >U< OH MY GOD SHE IS SO CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
5974 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Terra Australis (...
Offline
Posted 7/19/16

TheAngryLittleAlchemist wrote:


CreatorTheta wrote:


TheAngryLittleAlchemist wrote:

I just can't believe that a lot of liberals think that people relate to characters based on race. It's backwards thinking masked because of the "minority" appeal. I think if black people were the majority in america you'd never hear people take a black person seriously when they say they can't identify with white characters, yet because they're a minority group it's ok to use completely backwards thinking?

Most of my favorite characters in anime are girls(or at the very least the girl to guy ratio is pretty close). And I'm not a girl. What does gender, or race have to do with anything? If you really on superficial things to connect to characters, I'm sorry but you're petty...


Yeah, I agree, I mean Gender and race don't impact my perspective on characters. Right now, it's demented how much the regressive left has really taken down the term liberal. I myself see myself close to a Classical Liberal in the sense....which is nice. Though, I don't really apply labels to myself in general other than that one given how Identity politics corrupt and drag down those within them. (Such as being conflated with morons who do stupid nonsense in your group being the majority of them, it can easily drag you down as you might be somewhat different)

And also Labels....well they don't cover everything universally.


Politically I don't like to identify with either group. It's kind of ridiculous how much people turn of their brains to different ways of thinking just because of superficial labels. If people looked past "democrat" or "republican" we'd have better politicians probably. But honestly if I did attach a label to myself, I'd probably be closer to a classic liberal as well. Although it doesn't even matter I guess because I can't vote for another 2 years :/


It doesn't matter for me because My AustralianNAnananannananananananananna politicians suck

Agreed though. Damn, It's nice to see someone around here who gets me. I mean Labels just dumb everything down.
5206 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / M
Offline
Posted 7/19/16 , edited 7/20/16

CreatorTheta wrote:

Of Course! I am glad people see this. I mean it's the culture of Japan that crafts people. Which is the same for nearly every civilised and non civilised country.

Also yeah about that 20% thing, yeah, that's why Yuri and Yaoi anime is quite commonly made, because people find it normal (Damn, I feel like such a loser in regards to yuri anime.........................)

She is so cute :D

:D >U< OH MY GOD SHE IS SO CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Haha you aren't a loser! I mean I've never watched a yuri anime but...
122 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / US
Offline
Posted 7/19/16
I dunno. I dont disagree, but I don't think watching anime gives you some super unique enlightened view of the world. I mean I like a diverse cast, but in anime, nationality and race is little more than a stamp. It's just there.

Everyone thinks race is doesn't matter but it does. There are parts of me that wouldn't exist without both sides of my race. The culture surrounding a race can change how you develop, what you face, and what values will be instilled into you.

But that's just my opinion
5206 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / M
Offline
Posted 7/19/16 , edited 7/20/16

CreatorTheta wrote:

It doesn't matter for me because My AustralianNAnananannananananananananna politicians suck

Agreed though. Damn, It's nice to see someone around here who gets me. I mean Labels just dumb everything down.


Same dude! It's nice to see someone who doesn't just dumb down everything due to labels . A lot of my real life friends agree too.
5974 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Terra Australis (...
Offline
Posted 7/19/16

She would be my Waifu if I had one.

(Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I wish I could hug her)
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.