First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
Post Reply Anime fans have the unique perspective to understand racism in mainstream media
5206 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / M
Offline
Posted 7/19/16 , edited 7/20/16

CreatorTheta wrote:

3 years for me bro. Though I can't be considered "priviledged" because I have a physical disability.......

...........................................Yeah, I just had another emo moment.


A man sorry that sucks :/ . The closest to a disabillity I have is just really stupid life choices that I take accountability for, so ya.
5974 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Terra Australis (...
Offline
Posted 7/19/16
Okay, maybe this particular comment was uncalled for.
5974 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Terra Australis (...
Offline
Posted 7/19/16 , edited 7/20/16

TheAngryLittleAlchemist wrote:

A man sorry that sucks :/ . The closest to a disabillity I have is just really stupid life choices that I take accountability for, so ya.


Yeah. Thanks man. It's kinda hard.......but I can deal with it. Genetics can be a bit of a curse, for me. As you can see, by my retarded avatar, those sunnies are just one of the many symptoms.
122 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / US
Offline
Posted 7/19/16 , edited 7/20/16

CreatorTheta wrote:

Your actions are Determined by your Culture, Yes. But, Your culture IS NOT APART OF YOUR RACE. It's a stereotype you are attributing for the sake of self importance and ego. A person who is another race raised in the same culture will behaviour the similar nearly 100% of the time, as the same with those of the same race in that culture.

Please, just stop attaching your race and your friends race to their culture and their pasts, it belittles them as people.


My culture is part of my race. I don't understand why you think that's so wrong. Leaving my friends aside, as their story isn't mine to tell.
5974 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Terra Australis (...
Offline
Posted 7/19/16 , edited 7/20/16

UsagiRave wrote:

My culture is part of my race. I don't understand why you think that's so wrong. Leaving my friends aside, as their story isn't mine to tell.


No, it isn't. This is Objectively wrong. These simple examples to the contrary disprove your universal claims.And it's wrong because it divides people by race.
5206 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / M
Offline
Posted 7/19/16 , edited 7/19/16
I mean I live in Arizona, and at the school I go to black people honestly just act like normal white kids. the closest they come to having their own "culture" is just being able to say the n-word a lot. I just don't get why people want to have a culture tied to race so badly. Wouldn't you prefer to have your race be a superficial part of your character? When did it become "progressive" to believe that race had more to do with you than just your genetic make up?

I know some people might take this as me being in denial. I mean if race has contributed to socio-economical issues in the past, is it really so crazy to think that it contributes to a difference in culture as well? How could you say it only comes down to genetics when so much of history has been decided by how it affects races outside of their skin tone?

Notice how every time skin color has effected people in history it's mostly because of their skin tone and how people are racist towards them based on their skin tone. In reality, has any major decision been made based on one race having it's own culture? If you look at meso-american groups, they had very similar ideologies to a lot of indian groups, yet they are completely different racially. When you put people in similar environments, they have similar ideologies and "cultures", it has nothing to do with race because so many minorities are "americanized". races having their own culture was a thing of the past, and it was really only because of races having so much different socio-economical backgrounds in the past. Now when people are more equal than ever before, it's mostly just a think alike cult mentality to make all minorities feel they need to contribute to a progressive value.
5974 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Terra Australis (...
Offline
Posted 7/19/16
It's because it gives people power, to claim that their race is apart of them as something more.

It gives them ego.

It gives them moral superiority as a minority for example.
12636 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Marshall, Michigan
Offline
Posted 7/19/16

CreatorTheta wrote:


jtjumper wrote:


Kanudelgruber wrote:

American stereotypes in anime aren't offensive to me. They're funny, if anything. Also, Japan literally has a 99% Japanese population, so it makes sense that there wouldn't be a lot of non-Japanese people in their media.


Yeah, I know. Every once and while, I'd like a realistic American (Or maybe their stereotypes are right and I'm the odd one! ). American stereotypes aren't really offensive to me, they just get little old after a while (or maybe I'm getting too old)..


Well First, Stop Correlating RACE with culture.

Secondly, I do see that American culture is considered idiotically decepted in Japan, but it's only because Japan is very closed off from the world, this stereotype is all they really have.


What is race? Skin coloration? Family history? The genetic diversity of "blacks" is vast that two randomly selected black man are typical more similar to a random white person than each other. Blocking all south and central americans as Hispanic is overly broad.

Race as ethnic groups makes a lot more sense.

You've repeated it a lot, what do you mean by "correlating race with culture"?
5974 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Terra Australis (...
Offline
Posted 7/19/16 , edited 7/20/16

jtjumper wrote:

What is race? Skin coloration? Family history? The genetic diversity of "blacks" is vast that two randomly selected black man are typical more similar to a random white person than each other. Blocking all south and central americans as Hispanic is overly broad.

Race as ethnic groups makes a lot more sense.

You've repeated it a lot, what do you mean by "correlating race with culture"?


Race is skin colour.

That's it.

Ethnic groups are more culturally similar groups. They aren't races.

You are the one using incorrect terminology
122 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / US
Offline
Posted 7/19/16 , edited 7/20/16

CreatorTheta wrote:

No, it isn't. This is Objectively wrong. These simple examples to the contrary disprove your universal claims.And it's wrong because it divides people by race.


Humans are a divided creature, and that's okay. I really don't expect you to understand.

Have you ever had a girlfriend of another race? Met her parents? Race and culture do go hand in hand. I guess if not you'd be one to agree with the phrase "once you're an American, you're a mutt like the rest of us" lol
5206 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / M
Offline
Posted 7/19/16 , edited 7/20/16

jtjumper wrote:

What is race? Skin coloration? Family history? The genetic diversity of "blacks" is vast that two randomly selected black man are typical more similar to a random white person than each other. Blocking all south and central americans as Hispanic is overly broad.

Race as ethnic groups makes a lot more sense.

You've repeated it a lot, what do you mean by "correlating race with culture"?


The irony in this is that you're actually making his argument more appealing. Even racially black people have completely different genetics, yet we like to stereotype them into black people.

His point was similar. Culturally, people like to pretend like one group has a different culture based on their race. For instance, "black culture". It just doesn't make sense considering all the different people who are black.
5974 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Terra Australis (...
Offline
Posted 7/19/16 , edited 7/20/16

TheAngryLittleAlchemist wrote:

The irony in this is that you're actually making his argument more appealing. Even racially black people have completely different genetics, yet we like to stereotype them into black people.

His point was similar. Culturally, people like to pretend like one group has a different culture based on their race. For instance, "black culture". It just doesn't make sense considering all the different people who are black.


Damn, you bet me to it. I'll let you have that one
12636 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Marshall, Michigan
Offline
Posted 7/19/16 , edited 7/20/16

TheAngryLittleAlchemist wrote:

The irony in this is that you're actually making his argument more appealing. Even racially black people have completely different genetics, yet we like to stereotype them into black people.

His point was similar. Culturally, people like to pretend like one group has a different culture based on their race. For instance, "black culture". It just doesn't make sense considering all the different people who are black.


Not really, there are cultures and subcultures.



5974 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Terra Australis (...
Offline
Posted 7/19/16 , edited 7/20/16

UsagiRave wrote:

Humans are a divided creature, and that's okay. I really don't expect you to understand.

Have you ever had a girlfriend of another race? Met her parents? Race and culture do go hand in hand. I guess if not you'd be one to agree with the phrase "once you're an American, you're a mutt like the rest of us" lol


Really, so you think we should judge and treat others differently over COMPLETELY ARBITRARY features? Fucking hell.

A.I haven't had a girlfriend, because I have a physical disability that makes life in general hard.
B. I have had friends of all different races, and it hasn't affected friendships, Because Race and Culture ARE NOT HAND IN HAND. That's a stereotype you apply because your thinking and logical reasoning skills are limited and narrow. Culture can define people, but race doesn't.
C. I don't understand what the hell you mean by that quote.
D.From your story, you are implying certain races MUST act a certain way. That's pretty fucking racist.
E.People act in a certain way not because of their race, but because people like yourself Associate race with culture, like yourself, and try their best to tie it to their race even if it's bullshit because It would have to be 100% true to be a true statement as it's a universal statement, which clearly IS NOT THE CASE, as people no matter the race can become violent thugs in ghetto like areas due to poverty.
5974 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Terra Australis (...
Offline
Posted 7/19/16 , edited 7/20/16

jtjumper wrote:

Not really, there are cultures and subcultures.


How does this comment you just made refute Anything?
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.