First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply Favorite Albums, Any Genre, Of All Time
5204 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / M
Offline
Posted 7/23/16

electricdoomfire wrote:


TheAngryLittleAlchemist wrote:

Hello one and all! I'm new-ish to the Crunchyroll community, so sorry if this is already a thread

I saw a thread for your favorite music, but not one specifically for albums. So I wanted to know, what are your favorite albums? You can list as many as you want, and they can be from any genre or year. I've only listened to 100 albums or so, so my favorites list might be a little bit arbitrary

Anyways, here is mine personally :

Animals by Pink Floyd
In Rainbows by Radiohead
Remain In Light by Talking Heads
Surfer Rosa by Pixies
Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd
The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust by David Bowie
Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd
...And Justice For All by Metallica
Ride The Lightning by Metallica
Rust In Peace by Megadeth
...Like Clockwork by Queens of the Stone Age
and of course Human by Death!!!!



I love the pixies. And I have their softmore album Doolittle and have listened to it many times. From what I gather, many would say that Doolittle is their best work, but I notice that you put their first album surfer rosa as one of your favorites. That isn't to say that surfer rosa doesn't have great songs on it because that certainly isn't the case. I was wondering if you have listened to the rest of the pixies discography and how you would compare their first album to the rest of their material if you have listened to them or not. Because I would certainly like to hear how the first album stacks up to the more acclaimed softmore album doolittle


I have not listened to the rest of their discography, no. But, every Pixies enthusiast I know prefers their debut. Actually, you've probably heard their two most popular songs. They're on their debut(at least I'm guessing they're the most popular songs in their catalog) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B6qerZlczw (on the youtube video it shows their second albums cover, but it's actually on their first album. Weird)

And Where is My Mind? Which was on a lot of famous movies including Fight Club :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ut52Szpd-w

In fact, Kurt Cobain, who considered the pixies as one of his greatest influences, considered Surfer Rosa as his top 2 favorite albums. He preffered it over Doolittle.
1227 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / ya mum's house
Offline
Posted 7/24/16

TheAngryLittleAlchemist wrote:


electricdoomfire wrote:


TheAngryLittleAlchemist wrote:

Hello one and all! I'm new-ish to the Crunchyroll community, so sorry if this is already a thread

I saw a thread for your favorite music, but not one specifically for albums. So I wanted to know, what are your favorite albums? You can list as many as you want, and they can be from any genre or year. I've only listened to 100 albums or so, so my favorites list might be a little bit arbitrary

Anyways, here is mine personally :

Animals by Pink Floyd
In Rainbows by Radiohead
Remain In Light by Talking Heads
Surfer Rosa by Pixies
Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd
The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust by David Bowie
Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd
...And Justice For All by Metallica
Ride The Lightning by Metallica
Rust In Peace by Megadeth
...Like Clockwork by Queens of the Stone Age
and of course Human by Death!!!!



I love the pixies. And I have their softmore album Doolittle and have listened to it many times. From what I gather, many would say that Doolittle is their best work, but I notice that you put their first album surfer rosa as one of your favorites. That isn't to say that surfer rosa doesn't have great songs on it because that certainly isn't the case. I was wondering if you have listened to the rest of the pixies discography and how you would compare their first album to the rest of their material if you have listened to them or not. Because I would certainly like to hear how the first album stacks up to the more acclaimed softmore album doolittle


I have not listened to the rest of their discography, no. But, every Pixies enthusiast I know prefers their debut. Actually, you've probably heard their two most popular songs. They're on their debut(at least I'm guessing they're the most popular songs in their catalog) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B6qerZlczw (on the youtube video it shows their second albums cover, but it's actually on their first album. Weird)

And Where is My Mind? Which was on a lot of famous movies including Fight Club :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ut52Szpd-w

In fact, Kurt Cobain, who considered the pixies as one of his greatest influences, considered Surfer Rosa as his top 2 favorite albums. He preffered it over Doolittle.


I have actually heard most of the songs off surfer rosa and I prefer their album cuts more than their "hits". I can't really say that the pixies ever really had hits per say. The members often admitted that they were never a huge selling band and they didn't get as much credit until years later. Kurt cobain might have preferred surfer rosa, but many more diverse bands influenced by they pixies will admit that Doolittle was a kind of watershed moment for the group in many ways. If you look many indie rock staple bands now, many of them will site the pixies as an influence. Bands such as radiohead, blur, pj Harvey, and going all the way up to groups like modest mouse or arcade fire will site the pixies as a major influence. Also forget kurt cobain, you know who else loved the pixies? DAVID BOWIE. He cited Joey Santiago as one of the most underrated guitarists ever. Sufer rosa is a great album of course, but Doolittle's importance can't be understated when it is looked at in retrospect. But a guess all of their albums can be considered classics

5204 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / M
Offline
Posted 7/24/16
I already know David Bowie and Radiohead loved the pixies. They're all on my list hahaha, and I saw David bowie's interview where he says he loves them.

However, Doolittle was wayyyy more popular in general than Surfer Rosa so I think it's a bit unfair to say Surfer is worse or gets less credit because other artists checked out Doolittle.

And ya, my favorite song on the album is actually Tony's Theme. Cactus, River Euphrates, Brick is Red, Broken Face, and Bone Machine are all way great too.

And I never was understating Doolittle, whether or not it's better in quality I wouldn't know honestly. I'll check it eventually.
7401 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
48 / M / New England, USA
Offline
Posted 7/24/16 , edited 7/24/16

TheAngryLittleAlchemist wrote:


neugenx wrote:

Queensryche (Operation: Mindcrime, Empire, Rage for Order)
Black Sabbath (Tyr,Eternal Idol, Seventh Star, Mob Rules, Heaven and Hell)
AC/DC (Back in Black, For Those About to Rock, Dirty Deeds)
Phenomena (Everything)
John West (/Solo/Artension/Royal Hunt/etc) (Love everything by John [The Native American] not John West [The Canadian])
Iron Maiden (Number of the Beast, Piece of Mind)
Bruce Dickenson (All his solo and Samson stuff)
Whitesnake (Slow and Easy, Slip of the Tongue)
UFO/MSG/The Plot/Paul Raymond Project/Mogg-Way/etc (Love everything from all members of the UFO Family).
Skid Row (Youth Gone Wild)
WASP (All)
J-Pop/J-Rock (Too much to mention here)


This list disappoints me! Master of Reality is best Black Sabbith! And Number of the beast is super overrated. But that's just an opinion


NP . I just think Ozzy was INFINITELY better on Blizzard of Ozz and Diary of a Madman than he was with Sabbath (R.I.P Randy Rhodes) . i even preferred The Ultimate Sin to most of his Sabbath stuff. I think I may actually find Ozzy's solo stuff more special due to the band he put together. It included members of Uriah Heep, Rainbow and Whitesnake...three bands I grew up on so it seemed more like a super-band than a solo project for me . As far as Maiden goes, my favorite Maiden songs will always be Hallowed Be Thy Name, 22 Acacia Avenue and The Prisoner (I grew up on the show so it's sentimental reasoning) so it will always stand as my favorite by them . Oh and I've gotta say, from your list (dang good list!), Metallica Ride the Lightning is my pick for the best music they've ever done!
5204 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / M
Offline
Posted 7/24/16

neugenx wrote:


TheAngryLittleAlchemist wrote:


neugenx wrote:

Queensryche (Operation: Mindcrime, Empire, Rage for Order)
Black Sabbath (Tyr,Eternal Idol, Seventh Star, Mob Rules, Heaven and Hell)
AC/DC (Back in Black, For Those About to Rock, Dirty Deeds)
Phenomena (Everything)
John West (/Solo/Artension/Royal Hunt/etc) (Love everything by John [The Native American] not John West [The Canadian])
Iron Maiden (Number of the Beast, Piece of Mind)
Bruce Dickenson (All his solo and Samson stuff)
Whitesnake (Slow and Easy, Slip of the Tongue)
UFO/MSG/The Plot/Paul Raymond Project/Mogg-Way/etc (Love everything from all members of the UFO Family).
Skid Row (Youth Gone Wild)
WASP (All)
J-Pop/J-Rock (Too much to mention here)


This list disappoints me! Master of Reality is best Black Sabbith! And Number of the beast is super overrated. But that's just an opinion


NP . I just think Ozzy was INFINITELY better on Blizzard of Ozz and Diary of a Madman than he was with Sabbath (R.I.P Randy Rhodes) . i even preferred The Ultimate Sin to most of his Sabbath stuff. I think I may actually find Ozzy's solo stuff more special due to the band he put together. It included members of Uriah Heep, Rainbow and Whitesnake...three bands I grew up on so it seemed more like a super-band than a solo project for me . As far as Maiden goes, my favorite Maiden songs will always be Hallowed Be Thy Name, 22 Acacia Avenue and The Prisoner (I grew up on the show so it's sentimental reasoning) so it will always stand as my favorite by them . Oh and I've gotta say, from your list (dang good list!), Metallica Ride the Lightning is my pick for the best music they've ever done!


Thanks for the compliment! I must be honest...I was pulling your leg talking about sabbath. I've only heard their first 4(not including the one about cocaine, lol).

Thanks! I think Ride The Lightning and AJFA are tied. I prefer Powerslave to NOTB, but I only havel istened to those 2 thoroughly.
7401 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
48 / M / New England, USA
Offline
Posted 7/24/16

TheAngryLittleAlchemist wrote:



Thanks for the compliment! I must be honest...I was pulling your leg talking about sabbath. I've only heard their first 4(not including the one about cocaine, lol).

Thanks! I think Ride The Lightning and AJFA are tied. I prefer Powerslave to NOTB, but I only havel istened to those 2 thoroughly.


Yvw. My friends always told me I have a different musical mindset. I tend to see most bands in phases so to me there are like 6 different Black Sabbaths (Ozzy, Dio, Ian Gillen, Glenn Hughes, Ray Gillan, Tony Martin on vocals). So, for many it's Ozzy is best or Dio is best etc but to me it's this is the best Dio Sabbath Disc, this is the best Ozzy Sabbath Disc etc. If you like Powerslave odds are you'd like Seventh Son of a Seventh Son and Brave New World. When Bruce returned to the band for Brave New World the music was similar to that phase of the band.
3468 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / The Mothership
Offline
Posted 7/24/16 , edited 7/24/16

Velvet_Crowe wrote:

Ace of Spades - Motörhead
All Eyez on Me - 2pac
The End of Heartache - Killswitch Engage
Speakerboxx/ The love below - Outkast
Back in Black - AC/DC
To Pimp a Butterfly - Kendrick Lamar



I respect this list, my most favorite 2 songs on 2Pacs album are U Can't C Me and California Love because of 2 Funk legends in my heart George Clinton on U Can't C Me and Roger Troutman on the talkbox on California Love(have u seen the video?) and my most favorite song on To Pimp A Butterfly is Wesley's Theory because Mr. George Clinton is on it.

All of Parliament's albums
Cosmic Slop, One Nation Under a Groove, Uncle Jam Wants You, Electric Spanking of War Babies - Funkadelic
Stretchin' Out in Bootsy's Rubber Band, Ahh... The Name is Bootsy Baby!, Bootsy? Player of the Year - Bootsy Collins
Me Against The World, All Eyez On Me - 2Pac
Zapp, Zapp II, The New Zapp IV U - Zapp
The Many Facets of Roger, Roger The Saga Continues - Roger Troutman
Zapp&Roger's Greatest Hits


First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.