First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
What do long distance relationships lack that in person relationships have?
Posted 7/21/16

paul25454 wrote:


asamihitohara wrote:

Long-distance makes communication and trust even more vital than they seem to be taken in person, for most people. If someone is willing to be with YOU even if it means hugs etc are rare due to distance, then it really shows a lot to me. You get more time to still be with friends rather than having your partner literally be 90% of your social world - something that happens commonly at the start of many love-dovey relationships. Just make sure that you do video chat when you can! Eye to eye contact and seeing facial expressions helps

In person, lots of lovely physical stuff like cuddles. More dates. A lot of people prefer this because they feel that having their partner close to them in location = loyalty. But all lying cheating bitches gonna cheat bro so really, all trust either way.

Though I love all that fun physical stuff, I prefer long distance. The sexual tension is a lot more for me when it's long-distance as well as the feeling of connection and longing to see each other again soon.


This I agree with. It is all about communication and trust. Without these the relationship is most likely going to fail.


For some reason you people have a hard time knowing what the topic is .

Both have a feeling-out phase.


I suspect a gender assumption is behind this.
790 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / UK
Offline
Posted 7/21/16
Of course no one would prefer a long distance relationship over regular one but you seem to be forgetting a very crucial element to a relationship - the person you are with. LDRs are difficult, but they are only temporary. You put yourself in an LDR because to you the other person is worth waiting for, not because you are convinced you will remain together and apart.
Posted 7/21/16 , edited 7/21/16

missgezky wrote:

Of course no one would prefer a long distance relationship over regular one but you seem to be forgetting a very crucial element to a relationship - the person you are with. LDRs are difficult, but they are only temporary. You put yourself in an LDR because to you the other person is worth waiting for, not because you are convinced you will remain together and apart.


Thank you, thats all I needed to hear.
790 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / UK
Offline
Posted 7/21/16

rinrakuu wrote:


missgezky wrote:

Of course no one would prefer a long distance relationship over regular one but you seem to be forgetting a very crucial element to a relationship - the person you are with. LDRs are difficult, but they are only temporary. You put yourself in an LDR because to you the other person is worth waiting for, not because you are convinced you will remain together and apart.


Thank you, thats all I needed to hear.


Still, it does depend on the person. If you're judging it as if it is the same person and you can choose long distance or normal then normal would always be the winner.
33367 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Socal
Online
Posted 7/21/16

rinrakuu wrote:

No I was correct and you are wrong, I meant strictly LDR vs a normal relationship, not moving too fast, sorry, no cookie. I really do hope you'll accept that (although I doubt it*shrug*)


I'm sorry OP just because asked a question, doesn't mean you dictate the answers.

If you wanted a yes and no answer, specifically, you could have used the polling options, especially if you're saying people are wrong for their answers. This isn't a quiz or test. Answers don't need to be correct or incorrect, they can simply add to discussions.

but I'll accept that I'm wrong. I just don't accept your dictatorship.
15 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Canada
Offline
Posted 7/21/16

rinrakuu wrote:


paul25454 wrote:


asamihitohara wrote:

Long-distance makes communication and trust even more vital than they seem to be taken in person, for most people. If someone is willing to be with YOU even if it means hugs etc are rare due to distance, then it really shows a lot to me. You get more time to still be with friends rather than having your partner literally be 90% of your social world - something that happens commonly at the start of many love-dovey relationships. Just make sure that you do video chat when you can! Eye to eye contact and seeing facial expressions helps

In person, lots of lovely physical stuff like cuddles. More dates. A lot of people prefer this because they feel that having their partner close to them in location = loyalty. But all lying cheating bitches gonna cheat bro so really, all trust either way.

Though I love all that fun physical stuff, I prefer long distance. The sexual tension is a lot more for me when it's long-distance as well as the feeling of connection and longing to see each other again soon.


This I agree with. It is all about communication and trust. Without these the relationship is most likely going to fail.


For some reason you people have a hard time knowing what the topic is .

Both have a feeling-out phase.


I suspect a gender assumption is behind this.


The topic is "what's bad about a long distance relationship". The original poster also added

rinrakuu wrote:

Anyone really want to say they prefer a boyfriend/girlfriend at a distance than together?


I am on topic. I am a person who would say LDR > local, but it's not like I'd choose a relationship JUST BECAUSE it's long-distance. Maybe my post on it was more than "you dont get physical touch much or at all, obviously", but I feel that giving a bit of info on my experience long distance relationships is not strange. I don't have a hard time with seeing the topic. I just care enough to elaborate. On the contrary, I don't understand why you would suspect gender assumption... except that original poster said "boyfriend/girlfriend"?
6951 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Online
Posted 7/21/16

rinrakuu wrote:


paul25454 wrote:


asamihitohara wrote:

Long-distance makes communication and trust even more vital than they seem to be taken in person, for most people. If someone is willing to be with YOU even if it means hugs etc are rare due to distance, then it really shows a lot to me. You get more time to still be with friends rather than having your partner literally be 90% of your social world - something that happens commonly at the start of many love-dovey relationships. Just make sure that you do video chat when you can! Eye to eye contact and seeing facial expressions helps

In person, lots of lovely physical stuff like cuddles. More dates. A lot of people prefer this because they feel that having their partner close to them in location = loyalty. But all lying cheating bitches gonna cheat bro so really, all trust either way.

Though I love all that fun physical stuff, I prefer long distance. The sexual tension is a lot more for me when it's long-distance as well as the feeling of connection and longing to see each other again soon.


This I agree with. It is all about communication and trust. Without these the relationship is most likely going to fail.


For some reason you people have a hard time knowing what the topic is .

Both have a feeling-out phase.


I suspect a gender assumption is behind this.


All I was doing was agreeing with her. Apparently you want more of an answer. Well long distance relationship really lacks is the physical intimacy. The physical intimacy, regardless of what people say is a important point of an relationship. People want to be hug, hold hands while walking together, cuddle while sitting together enjoying each other times. Now a long distance can work. It just got to come down to both parties. Just have to work for it.

For the second part. I do prefer a in person relationship. You can do some much stuff being physical there. That would not stop me from having a long distance relationship. It all depends on the person whom I am talking to and enjoying my time with.
Posted 7/21/16 , edited 7/21/16
Humans are social creatures, and telecommunication merely grants us the illusion of social interaction. To rationalize that long distance relationships is a better choice because you're emotionally unstable, is but an excuse to not improve your situation, and your emotional state.
2549 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / California
Offline
Posted 7/21/16
Oh, someone else's opinion has got you seeking validation through others I see.

It depends on what you mean, some people prefer long distance because they can't stand dating those around them, though there might become a time where they'll definitely want to be together irl, so I'm not sure if that'd count. Then there are others who prefer long distance relationships because they don't want to be seen for what they truly are, and the list goes on and on.

Yes, some people do legitimately prefer long distance relationships, I think it's just hard to fully understand why.
Posted 7/21/16

Habibiqt wrote:

10/10 Long distance relationships are problematic. 9.5/10 Long distance relationships end in failure.

It's like living in New York but having a slice of cheesecake in San Francisco. You love that slice, but you can't eat it. You're inevitably going to find another slice of cake to fill that void. Whether you wanna be a sleaze and eat cheesecake or be loyal and eat chocolate cake, you're still gonna end eating a different slice of cake. Or you can go on a diet and not eat any cake till you go back to San Francisco. I personally like to enjoy my life though.


You fat sonofabitch.
5206 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / M
Offline
Posted 7/21/16
What's it lacking? Sex. Duh.
Posted 7/21/16
Long distance relationships are not for me
18913 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / Canada
Offline
Posted 7/21/16
lol
7085 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / California
Offline
Posted 7/21/16

Drozy wrote:


Habibiqt wrote:

10/10 Long distance relationships are problematic. 9.5/10 Long distance relationships end in failure.

It's like living in New York but having a slice of cheesecake in San Francisco. You love that slice, but you can't eat it. You're inevitably going to find another slice of cake to fill that void. Whether you wanna be a sleaze and eat cheesecake or be loyal and eat chocolate cake, you're still gonna end eating a different slice of cake. Or you can go on a diet and not eat any cake till you go back to San Francisco. I personally like to enjoy my life though.


You fat sonofabitch.


502 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 7/21/16
Most relationships fail, distance or not. Ultimately the goal is to be in person. Distance is just a circumstance, not a definition. You choose to make of it what you like.

I don't see why it wouldn't work any better or worse. In fact it probably helps weed out relationships that start only because one party wants sex.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.