First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Difference between Asocial and Antisocial
Posted 7/21/16 , edited 7/21/16

Let me ask if I'm right to be clear about something, Asociality and antisociality are not one and the same. Misanthropy and edginess together are distinguishable from antisocial behavior (but they are not mutually exclusive) in that misanthropy is an attitude of perspective and edginess is just a brash way of coming across . Asociality is not being social while Antisociality is out committing crimes

As for me, I'm a disillusioned asocial person and currently a bit of a misanthrope, but I draw the line at murder, robbery, extortion, arson, etc.

TL;DR, asociality isn't antisociality, although they might coincide, they are not the same. discuss. Please refrain from personal attacks directed at OP.
7085 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / California
Offline
Posted 7/21/16
As much as I'd like to discuss, I dislike this topic. Misanthropy is not something to ever be taken lightly. What makes you call yourself a bit of a misanthrope?
18050 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
U.S.
Offline
Posted 7/21/16



11815 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / M / Auburn, Washington
Online
Posted 7/21/16 , edited 7/21/16

rinrakuu wrote:

Asociality is not being social while Antisociality is out committing crimes



To my mind, being asocial means you avoid social situations and try to get out of them when they occur.

Being antisocial means you actively seek out and disrupt social situations.

It's asocial to turn down the invitation to your sister's wedding. It's antisocial to RSVP and then show up in a clown suit playing bagpipes.

10654 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 7/21/16

cdarklock wrote:


rinrakuu wrote:

Asociality is not being social while Antisociality is out committing crimes



To my mind, being asocial means you avoid social situations and try to get out of them when they occur.

Being antisocial means you actively seek out and disrupt social situations.

It's asocial to turn down the invitation to your sister's wedding. It's antisocial to RSVP and then show up in a clown suit playing bagpipes.



It may be antisocial, but that still sounds like a great idea. Especially if your sister keeps getting married over and over again.
Posted 7/21/16



People might get the wrong idea that someone is being anti-social and not merely asocial. Such as ignoring someone to go against their authority (anti-social), or ignoring someone because you are disinterested. After the B cluster of personality disorders psychopathy and sociopathy were merged into anti-social personality disorder, mixing them up is just a matter of not being familiar with them.

I really don't think being bitter and withdrawn means you're asocial. A lot of people seem to think not wanting to talk to people is the same thing as not doing it simply because you're indifferent. I mean can someone really start off as an extrovert but turn into an introvert through experiences? Does asocial simply mean you are indifferent or does it mean you dislike taking part? Can people really fall under the same category? I see the word anti-social get thrown around a lot, but I know it's not being used properly. People call themselves psychopaths on a daily basis. But, never hurt a fly. So that isn't being a psychopath, you may have sociopathic personality disorder but people always end up using the more expressive term rather than the actual.
8808 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
AKR
Offline
Posted 7/21/16

Habibiqt wrote:

As much as I'd like to discuss, I dislike this topic. Misanthropy is not something to ever be taken lightly. What makes you call yourself a bit of a misanthrope?


Misanthrope? What does that mean actually?

Antisocial sounds to me more crime like in my ears.
Asocial sound to me like someone who dislike being with other people.
10654 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 7/21/16

Jophar_Vorin wrote:


Habibiqt wrote:

As much as I'd like to discuss, I dislike this topic. Misanthropy is not something to ever be taken lightly. What makes you call yourself a bit of a misanthrope?


Misanthrope? What does that mean actually?

Antisocial sounds to me more crime like in my ears.
Asocial sound to me like someone who dislike being with other people.


Means they don't like people.
11815 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / M / Auburn, Washington
Online
Posted 7/21/16

Jophar_Vorin wrote:

Misanthrope? What does that mean actually?



It just means you don't like people. Like, in general. If a person is a person, you don't like them. It's like being a racist, except you don't care what race anyone is.

Obviously, you can live and work around people, just like a racist can live and work around whatever race they dislike. But it's the same sort of awkward, strained interaction.

8808 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
AKR
Offline
Posted 7/21/16 , edited 7/21/16

gornotck wrote:


Jophar_Vorin wrote:


Habibiqt wrote:

As much as I'd like to discuss, I dislike this topic. Misanthropy is not something to ever be taken lightly. What makes you call yourself a bit of a misanthrope?


Misanthrope? What does that mean actually?

Antisocial sounds to me more crime like in my ears.
Asocial sound to me like someone who dislike being with other people.


Means they don't like people.


Well then i am in that boat.

Misanthropy is not something to ever be taken lightly
Why not? I despise humans. Soo why not label it.
Posted 7/21/16


I don't think that you'd have to be anti-social to be indifferent. I think you can be asocial and also not feel any type of misanthropy. You may show egoism and indifference but not everyone who is asocial should be defined that way. So then what are they? Are they just sociopaths with good nature. I feel like this is only the beginning to a whole spectrum.
Posted 7/21/16

cdarklock wrote:


rinrakuu wrote:

Asociality is not being social while Antisociality is out committing crimes



Being antisocial means you actively seek out and disrupt social situations.


Excluding internet trolls.
11815 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / M / Auburn, Washington
Online
Posted 7/21/16

Hrafna wrote:

Excluding internet trolls.


I disagree. Trolling is definitely antisocial behaviour. However, I would not say that anyone and everyone who displays antisocial behaviour can be productively termed an antisocial person. They'd need to be primarily defined by that behaviour.

I think we all do a LITTLE trolling, here and there, because everyone thinks some belief system or other is stupid. Somewhere out there is someone who is on the other side of a political or social divide than you are, and you think anyone on that side must be an idiot. So maybe you get bored, and you happen to wander past a bunch of those people talking, and you stir the shit pile because it's amusing watching stupid people freak out.

Or maybe you walk past and you just can't stand people being that stupid, so you gird up and wade into the fray to crusade for truth and justice and honour. The funny part is, people can't easily tell the difference. But either way, it's antisocial to go into someone else's conversation and deliberately disrupt it for your own purposes, even if your motives are pure and noble.

The question is whether this is your normal mode of interaction.
Posted 7/21/16



Slayed
Posted 7/21/16

cdarklock wrote:


Hrafna wrote:

Excluding internet trolls.


I disagree. Trolling is definitely antisocial behaviour. However, I would not say that anyone and everyone who displays antisocial behaviour can be productively termed an antisocial person. They'd need to be primarily defined by that behaviour.

I think we all do a LITTLE trolling, here and there, because everyone thinks some belief system or other is stupid. Somewhere out there is someone who is on the other side of a political or social divide than you are, and you think anyone on that side must be an idiot. So maybe you get bored, and you happen to wander past a bunch of those people talking, and you stir the shit pile because it's amusing watching stupid people freak out.

Or maybe you walk past and you just can't stand people being that stupid, so you gird up and wade into the fray to crusade for truth and justice and honour. The funny part is, people can't easily tell the difference. But either way, it's antisocial to go into someone else's conversation and deliberately disrupt it for your own purposes, even if your motives are pure and noble.

The question is whether this is your normal mode of interaction.


Agree. It doesn't mean the person is like that all the time. And your right, people have a trouble interpreting tone on the internet, I know I do. Also, I grow very passionate with regards to misinterpretations coming to and fro which in turn lead to further misinterpretations. I do think everyone has trolled or if not will do so at some point in their lives due to temptations and tendencies you've described, but the key is ALL THE TIME = non-internet too. Guess I'm not antisocial at all then.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.