First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
Post Reply In the USA, many people blame whites for historical atrocities, but some things are overlooked
18907 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / El paso Tx
Offline
Posted 7/23/16
no i just think you came on to asshole to me, i just dont fell like a ban was needed maybe have him write it, i dont think you are spineless as you show a mutual understanding
Posted 7/23/16
< PICK ME MODS I WANNA BE YOUR FAVORITE CHOOSE ME TO BE YOUR FAVORITE
1103 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 7/23/16
While it is true that white people haven't done anything that any other color on Earth has already done, the key difference is the scale and impact of our actions. The Trans-Atlantic slave trade was unique in the sheer scale that was involved, unlike anything anyone had ever done before. Also, the institution of slavery in the Americas was key in constructing the series of rationalizations that led to the construction of a social belief system that planted the seeds for the concept of "race" which was used to degrade an entire class of people for the colour of their skin. It was a massive operation that took place over the course of centuries, involved millions of people, and was instrumental in constructing the economies of the New World colonies. You can't really compare that to any other contemporary slavery and say that they're equal.

And for Native Americans, we still see the consequences of how colonization effected them, even today. In Canada, most native people live on reserves which are practically isolated third world countries. This is because the government gave them shitty land during the mutual treaty agreements, and then for the next hundred or so years applied the old adage "out of sight, out of mind". So saying that "x native tribe were stealing land from y native tribe" doesn't really have much relevance. I guarantee you that the average modern native from Tribe X doesn't hate Tribe Y for their historical wrongdoings, because he doesn't have to deal with the consequences of that anymore. What he most certainly has to deal with though is the reserve system and the economic struggles that come with it.

What I'm trying to get at here is scale and relevance. Compared to what white people were doing, similar atrocities committed by other groups throughout history pale in comparison, and the people who have been effected are still dealing with the consequences. So the atrocities committed by Europeans are still very relevant, which is why they persist in popular memory compared to what ever the hell was going on in Africa, or the Middle-East, or Asia.
Posted 7/23/16 , edited 7/23/16

xxxAnime_lover123xxx wrote:

I don't think you understand what racism means if you think minority groups can be racist against a majority group.

Do you not realize this is akin to saying homosexuals can be heterophobic against straight people?


Not sure if you are trolling or not, but if you're serious then you seem to be having some trouble using the Google search engine. Here, let me help you out:

RACISM (as defined by a quick google search): the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races. Prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

RACISM (as defined by the Merriam-Webster Dictionary): a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race.

As you can see, both of these definitions do not state or suggest that minority groups cannot be racist. Or are you suggesting that minorities are not capable of extreme hatred, an important part of human nature? That attitude seems a bit racist against minorities if you ask me.

Oh and heterophobia is a real thing. Go to the Wikipedia page on homophobia and scroll down. Why wouldn't heterophobia exist? Since homosexuals have been subject to discrimination since humans existed, don't you think it is only rational to assume that some of those who have been discriminated against would react with fear and resentment?
18686 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F
Offline
Posted 7/23/16

xxxAnime_lover123xxx wrote:


Elynne06 wrote:


xxxAnime_lover123xxx wrote:

I don't think you understand what racism means if you think minority groups can be racist against a majority group.

Do you not realize this is akin to saying homosexuals can be heterophobic against straight people?


Not sure if you are trolling or not, but if you're serious then you seem to be having some trouble using the Google search engine. Here, let me help you out:

RACISM (as defined by a quick google search): the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races. Prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

RACISM (as defined by the Merriam-Webster Dictionary): a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race.

As you can see, both of these definitions do not state or suggest that minority groups cannot be racist. Or are you suggesting that minorities are not capable of extreme hatred, an important part of human nature? That attitude seems a bit racist against minorities if you ask me.

Oh and heterophobia is a real thing. Go to the Wikipedia page on homophobia and scroll down. Why wouldn't heterophobia exist? Since homosexuals have been subject to discrimination since humans existed, don't you think it is only rational to assume that some of those who have been discriminated against would react with fear and resentment?


Words go beyond a google or Merriam Webster definition. You have to look at social issues, society and philosophy. I'm sorry if you and a few others think words can only fit one definition.

Would a White person get offended if a minority makes fun of their accent? Would a White person get offended if someone dressed up as White?

Of course, White people can be discriminated against, if they're the minority in another country. But since we're talking about USA here, my point still stands, minority groups can't be racist against a majority group.


>sees you only have 15 CR points , no picture

yup must be a troll
move along, clearly you didn't read what the definition of racism is

Posted 7/23/16 , edited 7/23/16

xxxAnime_lover123xxx wrote:


Elynne06 wrote:


xxxAnime_lover123xxx wrote:

I don't think you understand what racism means if you think minority groups can be racist against a majority group.

Do you not realize this is akin to saying homosexuals can be heterophobic against straight people?


Not sure if you are trolling or not, but if you're serious then you seem to be having some trouble using the Google search engine. Here, let me help you out:

RACISM (as defined by a quick google search): the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races. Prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

RACISM (as defined by the Merriam-Webster Dictionary): a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race.

As you can see, both of these definitions do not state or suggest that minority groups cannot be racist. Or are you suggesting that minorities are not capable of extreme hatred, an important part of human nature? That attitude seems a bit racist against minorities if you ask me.

Oh and heterophobia is a real thing. Go to the Wikipedia page on homophobia and scroll down. Why wouldn't heterophobia exist? Since homosexuals have been subject to discrimination since humans existed, don't you think it is only rational to assume that some of those who have been discriminated against would react with fear and resentment?


Words go beyond a google or Merriam Webster definition. You have to look at social issues, society and philosophy. I'm sorry if you and a few others think words can only fit one definition.

Would a White person get offended if a minority makes fun of their accent? Would a White person get offended if someone dressed up as White?

Of course, White people can be discriminated against, if they're the minority in another country. But since we're talking about USA here, my point still stands, minority groups can't be racist against a majority group.


So what you mean is that the belief that minorities cannot be racist is only your personal opinion. You admit that you do not agree with the actual definition of racism as understood by the English language, but have instead created your own definition for racism based on your own conclusions about the world.

I strongly disagree with your opinion. Here is my opinion on the matter of race: All humans are born equal and all humans have the same capacity for hatred.

What you are basically saying: All humans are born equal, but one group of humans has a lessor ability to hate. This is what we call a fallacy. You may have heard of the term since you suggest that you value philosophy.


(On a side note: if you are a troll, then be happy! I swallowed your bait hook, line, and sinker).
Posted 7/23/16

Elynne06 wrote:

So what you mean is that the belief that minorities cannot be racist is only your personal opinion. You admit that you do not agree with the actual definition of racism as understood by the English language, but have instead created your own definition for racism based on your own conclusions about the world.

I strongly disagree with your opinion. Here is my opinion on the matter of race: All humans are born equal and all humans have the same capacity for hatred.

What you are basically saying: All humans are born equal, but one group of humans has a lessor ability to hate. This is what we call a fallacy. You may have heard of the term since you suggest that you value philosophy.


(On a side note: if you are a troll, then be happy! I swallowed your bait hook, line, and sinker).



Yes, it's my personal opinion, along with many others, after all, I didn't come up with this opinion myself. It's written in essays which can be found all over the net and in university lectures. I read up on it, and I agree with the opinion so I made it my own. Since you're so hooked up on definitions, maybe you should look up the definition of trolling, because trolls usually don't believe in the things they say.

You wrote all of this to lessen my point of view and calling my point of view a fallacy, yet you failed to address my second paragraph.
Posted 7/23/16 , edited 7/23/16

xxxAnime_lover123xxx wrote:


Elynne06 wrote:

So what you mean is that the belief that minorities cannot be racist is only your personal opinion. You admit that you do not agree with the actual definition of racism as understood by the English language, but have instead created your own definition for racism based on your own conclusions about the world.

I strongly disagree with your opinion. Here is my opinion on the matter of race: All humans are born equal and all humans have the same capacity for hatred.

What you are basically saying: All humans are born equal, but one group of humans has a lessor ability to hate. This is what we call a fallacy. You may have heard of the term since you suggest that you value philosophy.


(On a side note: if you are a troll, then be happy! I swallowed your bait hook, line, and sinker).



Yes, it's my personal opinion, along with many others, after all, I didn't come up with this opinion myself. It's written in essays which can be found all over the net and in university lectures. I read up on it, and I agree with the opinion so I made it my own. Since you're so hooked up on definitions, maybe you should look up the definition of trolling, because trolls usually don't believe in the things they say.

You wrote all of this to lessen my point of view and calling my point of view a fallacy, yet you failed to address my second paragraph.


A) Yes, that is me. Hooked up on definitions. I believe you are wrong from a moral and philosophical standpoint as well, but whatevs.

B) Your argument is a fallacy, I wrote all that to show why I think your opinion is a fallacy. I stated that clearly before I inquired as to whether or not you actually believe your flawed argument.

C) By second paragraph, I assume you mean this: "Would a White person get offended if a minority makes fun of their accent? Would a White person get offended if someone dressed up as White?" Here is my response: anyone would be offended if they found themselves to be in a situation where they were being ridiculed and targeted for their mannerisms and culture. Could you be a little more specific about your point?


5204 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / M
Online
Posted 7/23/16
This looks like a messy thread. Someone summarize it for me?
6534 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Palm Coast, Florida
Offline
Posted 7/23/16

TheAngryLittleAlchemist wrote:

This looks like a messy thread. Someone summarize it for me?


From what I understand, xxanimelover guy with no picture is spouting nonsense even though facts are being presented.
5204 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / M
Online
Posted 7/23/16

MonoDreams wrote:


TheAngryLittleAlchemist wrote:

This looks like a messy thread. Someone summarize it for me?


From what I understand, xxanimelover guy with no picture is spouting nonsense even though facts are being presented.


Sounds exactly like my last fight on here. Don't know If I should join in for the fun or leave it be.
Posted 7/23/16

Elynne06 wrote:
A) Yes, that is me. Hooked up on definitions. I believe you are wrong from a moral and philosophical standpoint as well, but whatevs.

B) Your argument is a fallacy, I wrote all that to show why I think your opinion is a fallacy. I stated that clearly before I inquired as to whether or not you actually believe your flawed argument.

C) By second paragraph, I assume you mean this: "Would a White person get offended if a minority makes fun of their accent? Would a White person get offended if someone dressed up as White?" Here is my response: anyone would be offended if they found themselves to be in a situation where they were being ridiculed and targeted for their mannerisms and culture. Could you be a little more specific about your point?


Here's an example of a fallacy; "I believe god is real because the bible says so and the bible is the word of god".

I still don't understand why you label my opinion as a fallacy when I written supported argument for my point of view, for example the analogy to heterophobia, and the two follow up rhetorical questions to my initial opinion.

In response to C), I don't know how to simplify it further, the point is a majority group would not get offended by verbal attacks from a minority, here's the heterophobia analogy again, would straight people get offended if a gay man calls him derogatory straight names? Are there even any derogatory words to address straight people? There are none. But there are derogatory words for homosexual people and minority race groups.


Furthermore, I find it disturbing that several people are attacking me for simply expressing my point of view that may or may not necessarily align with their's.

You call my point of view a fallacy over and over, but have you read the opening post? There are tons of fallacies in there, why don't you call his point of views fallacy? Is it because you agree with him?


Anyway, I am done here. I'm not here to troll, so I will not continue this discussion further. I respect your point of view, but I simply do not wish to aggravate anybody.
25139 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Beyond The Wall
Offline
Posted 7/23/16
Well since were on the subject of atrocities..Why is it only that white people are blamed for slavery when Jews were even more involved?
14916 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / San Francisco
Offline
Posted 7/23/16
^ Or their fellow Africans who brought them over to the foreign slave masters?
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.