First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Post Reply At what point is someone's taste just plain bad?
Posted 7/25/16
You should be glad he at least likes anime

I've done something similar to a friend, no matter what anime it was, they're simply not interested
16369 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / east coast. Let t...
Offline
Posted 7/25/16
When you watch Gundam Wing again after all the time since it was on Toonami and still think it's great.
14988 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Norway
Offline
Posted 7/25/16

reaperx- wrote:

When their avatar is Maria Otonashi.


lol
2549 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / California
Offline
Posted 7/25/16

Ryuouka wrote:


TrickedMJ wrote:

While I don't think Future Diary is all that good I can't say he necessarily has bad tastes, it all comes down to opinions in the end. I do believe he could watch things far better but eh. Also, you might be a huge problem to why he dislikes it, always consider that. It's like when you hype yourself up for a video game claiming it'll be a legend and GOTY and your expectations become so high that every little thing that turns out differently than you had hoped ends up disappointing you greatly. You should recommend things without hyping them too much and you shouldn't assume just because it's your favorites that he has to enjoy it just as much or his taste is trash.


Yeah, It's kind of a evil circle. If I don't hype it up enough, he wont bother watching it. However, if I hype it up too much, he expects too much.


An evil circle indeed, but it's how it is at times. Maybe recommend some more things like FD for a bit then try to slowly see if he can branch out on other things. You definitely don't wanna become too pushy when recommending things.
7802 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 7/25/16 , edited 7/25/16
At least your friend is willing to watch your recommendations that you take the time to give, instead of immediately saying "no" to all of them after you had already compiled a list that would fit within the same genres that they like. Or worse yet, they refuse to watch "main stream" or "popular" anime because everyone else is talking about it, and then they trash it without having even watched enough or even an episode to have an informed opinion. Of course, if I recommend a lesser known, yet still good series, they still won't watch it. And for the face palm, they refuse to watch a legitimately good series because someone they hate/despise loves it.

Yeah... I try to not waste much time giving suggestions to them anymore. And if they DO happen to watch a series that I either would have recommended to them or did recommend to them at some point in the past... ohohohoho~... They are not getting by without a ribbing.
Humms 
10529 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / CAN, ON
Offline
Posted 7/25/16 , edited 7/25/16
If you like the movie Hansel and Gretel witch hunters (2013), and The signal (2007).

Jesus Christ , and if any of you like those movies, Get Out! Just find a way to get out, please just find a door and see yourself out.

THE SIGNAL. I have literally never laughed soo hard in my fucking life while watching a movie, and it wasn't humor, it was how stupid the scene was. About 75% into the movie, I laughed so hard from the stupidity of that fucking scene I literally had to stop watching the movie, I just couldn't finish that movie, and to this day I will never look at that movie again.

Hansel and Gretel witch slayers was just a fucking mess, I mean holy fuck, the pacing was awful, the movie was so redundant and predictable, for the fucking actors they had, like they are some genuinely great actors, but how can you call this a movie?

That is where you draw the line, because this Shit is some seriously bad taste, it will linger for days.
8756 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Right here
Offline
Posted 7/25/16
Depends on how you define bad.
7053 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Costa Rica
Online
Posted 7/25/16 , edited 7/25/16

Ryuouka wrote:


JosephJoestar01 wrote:

Everything is very subjective, but when you know that your friend likes something that you know it's not so good and you have plenty of better options to recommend, you start to wonder if your friend truly has bad taste or not, but in the end you can't help it if your friend also considers that some of your shows are bad, you just have to accept different opinions. And of course, if you're going to recommend something don't hype it because it will ruin your experience, it happened to me very recently.

The moments that I really hate is when they can't appreciate something that is incredibly good and that deserves all their popularity like Hunter x Hunter and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, but again, everything is subjective. That doesn't make it easier to tolerate their hate towards a masterpiece, you'll just have to live and deal with those opinions however you want.


It's not like I made this thread to deny the fact that opinions are subjective. As bad as it seems, even I'm aware that opinions are subjective, it's common sence.

It's just like you said, really frustrating when a good friend finds your favorite stuff shitty.


You know if your friend didn't like Hunter x Hunter, Gurren Lagann, Fullmetal Alchemist or Cowboy Bebop then he might have bigger problems than we thought xD Future Diary is not the worst thing in the world (Big Order is way worse in every single way), but still I can't understand how he likes that show so much. You can try and show him JoJo's Bizarre Adventure or Kill la Kill, but if he doesn't like either of them then I don't think it's worth even trying to recommend shows to him anymore. He clearly has very specific tastes.
14988 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Norway
Offline
Posted 7/25/16

JosephJoestar01 wrote:


Ryuouka wrote:


JosephJoestar01 wrote:

Everything is very subjective, but when you know that your friend likes something that you know it's not so good and you have plenty of better options to recommend, you start to wonder if your friend truly has bad taste or not, but in the end you can't help it if your friend also considers that some of your shows are bad, you just have to accept different opinions. And of course, if you're going to recommend something don't hype it because it will ruin your experience, it happened to me very recently.

The moments that I really hate is when they can't appreciate something that is incredibly good and that deserves all their popularity like Hunter x Hunter and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, but again, everything is subjective. That doesn't make it easier to tolerate their hate towards a masterpiece, you'll just have to live and deal with those opinions however you want.


It's not like I made this thread to deny the fact that opinions are subjective. As bad as it seems, even I'm aware that opinions are subjective, it's common sence.

It's just like you said, really frustrating when a good friend finds your favorite stuff shitty.


You know if your friend didn't like Hunter x Hunter, Gurren Lagann, Fullmetal Alchemist or Cowboy Bebop then he might have bigger problems than we thought xD Future Diary is not the worst thing in the world (Big Order is way worse in every single way), but still I can't understand how he likes that show so much. You can try and show him JoJo's Bizarre Adventure or Kill la Kill, but if he doesn't like either of them then I don't think it's worth even trying to recommend shows to him anymore. He clearly has very specific tastes.


I've actually tried both of them. But the thing is, he is very judgemental by the looks of things, so Kill la kill was apparently too ecchi, and Jojo had weird artstyle. Once he's decided that it looks bad, he's not even going to check out 1 episode.
15947 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / Cold and High
Offline
Posted 7/25/16

Ryuouka wrote:
I've actually tried both of them. But the thing is, he is very judgemental by the looks of things, so Kill la kill was apparently too ecchi, and Jojo had weird artstyle.
can understand the jojo thing, the artstyle is a bit.. different.
But Kill la Kill being ecchi?... -__- is he the type for extreme dark/horrible stuff? derp..
I guess the pacing of the series is quite fast or hard to get into for Kill la Kill but it has some quite interesting stuff at times + battles and a "story" of sorts.

5227 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 7/25/16 , edited 7/25/16
When someone like your friend has little experience with anime. I doubt your friend could watch Outlaw Star or Silent Mobius. If your friend doesn't like Cowboy Bebop, then his taste in music is probably too poor (I don't think your friend even has real music appreciation).
4171 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Reality
Offline
Posted 7/25/16
Honestly, just let them enjoy their own show(s). I haven't seen Cowboy Bebop, just because it's not my kind of thing.
14988 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Norway
Offline
Posted 7/25/16

KurtIrving wrote:

When someone like your friend has little experience with anime. I doubt your friend could watch Outlaw Star or Silent Mobius. If your friend doesn't like Cowboy Bebop, then his taste in music is probably too poor (I don't think your friend even has real music appreciation).


He does not. He mainly listens to mainstream pop.
He's not your typical anime watcher.
14988 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Norway
Offline
Posted 7/25/16

guitarzim22 wrote:

Honestly, just let them enjoy their own show(s). I haven't seen Cowboy Bebop, just because it's not my kind of thing.


Watching him be obsessed with Mirrai nikki for the remaining time he's interested in anime is just too painfull for me. I can't do that.
14988 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Norway
Offline
Posted 7/25/16

Freddy96NO wrote:


Ryuouka wrote:
I've actually tried both of them. But the thing is, he is very judgemental by the looks of things, so Kill la kill was apparently too ecchi, and Jojo had weird artstyle.
can understand the jojo thing, the artstyle is a bit.. different.
But Kill la Kill being ecchi?... -__- is he the type for extreme dark/horrible stuff? derp..
I guess the pacing of the series is quite fast or hard to get into for Kill la Kill but it has some quite interesting stuff at times + battles and a "story" of sorts.



Yeah, Kill la kill is good, and he'd probably enjoy it if he ever gave it a try.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.