First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Post Reply Black Clover voted worst manga if the year at comic con international??!
55403 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M
Offline
Posted 8/6/16 , edited 8/6/16

Lemontitties wrote:


otakuforlife wrote:

I think (or hope) that most people are reading Black Clover in WSJ (which for those who don't know, the English version is extremely cheap, though I hate the publisher with a burning passion).


But doesn't wsj only have the latest chapters? Only volumes 1 & 2 are available to buy, so what do they expect us to do if we can't read in between what's available to buy and the chapters wsj has? This is the problem I have w/ the way manga is established here in the west. Anime does it well, but we need a better method of reading manga online. I can't stand illegal fan sites, so we need a stronger method of a pay per month subscription plan than what viz media offers. Although I love that Crunchyroll has started this service, there's still only so many titles they have at the moment. I hope what CR has started continues to grow and flourish. *crosses fingers*


To clarify, I meant it more for people who have been reading, not necessarily new readers. Sorry about that.

Back issues of WSJ are for sale on their site, but I don't think it's all the way back and per issue they are more expensive than the subscription unfortunately.
17031 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / F / In a van down by...
Offline
Posted 8/6/16
in what universe is Bleach underrated?

This final arc has been the biggest 'FU' ever.
709 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Kansas, USA
Offline
Posted 8/7/16

xxJing wrote:

After reading the first few chapters, Black Clover really just seemed like a cheap knock off of Naruto. In the same sense that Natsu in Fairy Tail is basically just a concentration of what the author thought was popular about Luffy from One Piece. The initial impression I got from Black Clover was that the author tried to make a manga using just the elements that he thought won Naruto its popularity. Needless to say, I was bored, and dropped it quickly.

So basically, if you've seen Naruto, Fairy Tail, or One Piece... there is a good chance that you will roll your eyes at Black Clover and say "Not this shit again."


The problem that you run into at some point is that EVERYTHING seems like a knockoff of something else. Reading volume 1 of Black Clover, I could draw parallels to many other sources, and if you consider it, Naruto draws parallels to other works, as well--Oliver Twist, Harry Potter... That's right, I'm legitimately inferring that the one-trick ponies are not so original--Naruto's Rasengan and Harry's Patronus--nor is the abuse of the outcast orphan trope.

As an entity of its own, it's not bad, in my opinion--definitely not enough to call it the "worst manga of the year."
Banned
6934 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
In a basket of de...
Offline
Posted 8/7/16
Lost interest in black clover around chapter 45 or so, but I'll get to it again eventually. It's no where near the worst manga of 2016 tho.

xxJing 
37179 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Duckburg
Online
Posted 8/7/16

PandAndy wrote:


xxJing wrote:

After reading the first few chapters, Black Clover really just seemed like a cheap knock off of Naruto. In the same sense that Natsu in Fairy Tail is basically just a concentration of what the author thought was popular about Luffy from One Piece. The initial impression I got from Black Clover was that the author tried to make a manga using just the elements that he thought won Naruto its popularity. Needless to say, I was bored, and dropped it quickly.

So basically, if you've seen Naruto, Fairy Tail, or One Piece... there is a good chance that you will roll your eyes at Black Clover and say "Not this shit again."


The problem that you run into at some point is that EVERYTHING seems like a knockoff of something else. Reading volume 1 of Black Clover, I could draw parallels to many other sources, and if you consider it, Naruto draws parallels to other works, as well--Oliver Twist, Harry Potter... That's right, I'm legitimately inferring that the one-trick ponies are not so original--Naruto's Rasengan and Harry's Patronus--nor is the abuse of the outcast orphan trope.

As an entity of its own, it's not bad, in my opinion--definitely not enough to call it the "worst manga of the year."


True. But it's best not to draw too much inspiration from something recent. That just makes it look like you are hopping on a bandwagon.
4618 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Online
Posted 8/21/16
Ok so if anyone still cares, I decided to go back and read the first two volumes of shueisha's "Big three" and compare them to the first two volumes of Black Clover, and this is what I concluded.

Black Clover is not phenomenal and it will almost certainly never set the world on fire like the big 3 did in the early 2000s. It lacks the character of One Piece, the incredible artwork of Bleach and the fight choregoraphy of Naruto. As many in this thread have noted it borrows heavily from the latter, but I would not go so far as to call it a rip off. The similar character beats between the two are also very common tropes of the genre, so it's hardly fair to attribute them solely to naruto.

The main things that set Black Clover apart from the rest of the crowd are its world building and its unique powers. The world of black clover is given just enough detail to get our attention, but leaves us just enough in the dark to keep us intrigued. For example ww find out in the second volume that the clover kingdom (where the story takes place) is the enemy of the neighbouring diamond kingdom. This immediately raises more questions such as "why are the two countries fighting?" "What are the magic users from the diamond kingdom like?" "What are their relations to the presumed spade and heart kingdom?" and so on. We're given only a single piece of a puzzle, which not only intrigues readers like me, but also keeps the expository dialogue light. Speaking of which the manga also has clever ways of building the world without using exposition. My favourite instance of this is early in the first volume where two farmers are having a conversation and as they finish it we see a wide shot of them working with their crops, while the skeleton of a giant monstrous creature with moss growing on it sits in the background. The unique powers displayed by the characters of Black Clover are where I feel the mangaka's creative muscle truly shine. Even simple one-off characters who show up on only a few pages get interesting attacks, like a bubble shield with cannons to provide both offense and defence. Sure you have your common elemental based powers but more often than not there is something to set the spells apart from similar attacls used in other manga. For example, the fire user doesn't just throw a fire ball by making it shoot out of his palm, he flat out pitches it like a baseball, and the wind user (the main character's rival) doesn't just fly people around using wind currents, he builds a giant bird construct out of wind and ferries them around on his back. Little things like that go a long way towards my enjoyment of the series, and I'm looking forward to seeing more.

There are other positives to the series as well. Characters all have memorable designs and personalities (though the latter are again a bit derivative) and their motivations and goals are all presented clearly. I found myself quickly growing to like these characters, but I always felt as though it was not nearly the first time I was doing so. That's pretty much how you could sum up my feelings towards the other aspects of the book, generally posotives, but with some clear negatives. For example, the artwork is aesthetically pleasing and has some very nice detail, but individual panels get confusing sometimes due to being over crowded and the layouts on occasion made action scenes difficult to follow. The fights show some clever strategy and unique interactions between powers, but when you boil them down they mostly consist of the übertypical "supporting characters get their asses kicked fighting a villain and then the main character shows up and saves the day" structure.

Black Clover is a series that is not afraid to show similarities to its inspiration, and it's perfectly reasonable to criticise it for that, however if you overlook it just for that you will be missing out on one a very charming and endearing shounen battle manga that certainly deserves its place in shounen jump. I don't think it's nearly as good as the big three when they started out, but I'm still excited to see where it goes.
16224 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/24/16
This Manga is not that bad. if anything Deathtopia is all over the place when it comes to a story of a manga im js, but to each their own
4618 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Online
Posted 8/31/16

TheRealSlammz wrote:

This Manga is not that bad. if anything Deathtopia is all over the place when it comes to a story of a manga im js, but to each their own


Just looked it up. Pretty much agree with what you said, but it looks like it could be a fun ironic read
28685 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 9/1/16

octorockandroll wrote:

Ok so if anyone still cares, I decided to go back and read the first two volumes of shueisha's "Big three" and compare them to the first two volumes of Black Clover, and this is what I concluded.

Black Clover is not phenomenal and it will almost certainly never set the world on fire like the big 3 did in the early 2000s. It lacks the character of One Piece, the incredible artwork of Bleach and the fight choregoraphy of Naruto. As many in this thread have noted it borrows heavily from the latter, but I would not go so far as to call it a rip off. The similar character beats between the two are also very common tropes of the genre, so it's hardly fair to attribute them solely to naruto.

The main things that set Black Clover apart from the rest of the crowd are its world building and its unique powers. The world of black clover is given just enough detail to get our attention, but leaves us just enough in the dark to keep us intrigued. For example ww find out in the second volume that the clover kingdom (where the story takes place) is the enemy of the neighbouring diamond kingdom. This immediately raises more questions such as "why are the two countries fighting?" "What are the magic users from the diamond kingdom like?" "What are their relations to the presumed spade and heart kingdom?" and so on. We're given only a single piece of a puzzle, which not only intrigues readers like me, but also keeps the expository dialogue light. Speaking of which the manga also has clever ways of building the world without using exposition. My favourite instance of this is early in the first volume where two farmers are having a conversation and as they finish it we see a wide shot of them working with their crops, while the skeleton of a giant monstrous creature with moss growing on it sits in the background. The unique powers displayed by the characters of Black Clover are where I feel the mangaka's creative muscle truly shine. Even simple one-off characters who show up on only a few pages get interesting attacks, like a bubble shield with cannons to provide both offense and defence. Sure you have your common elemental based powers but more often than not there is something to set the spells apart from similar attacls used in other manga. For example, the fire user doesn't just throw a fire ball by making it shoot out of his palm, he flat out pitches it like a baseball, and the wind user (the main character's rival) doesn't just fly people around using wind currents, he builds a giant bird construct out of wind and ferries them around on his back. Little things like that go a long way towards my enjoyment of the series, and I'm looking forward to seeing more.

There are other positives to the series as well. Characters all have memorable designs and personalities (though the latter are again a bit derivative) and their motivations and goals are all presented clearly. I found myself quickly growing to like these characters, but I always felt as though it was not nearly the first time I was doing so. That's pretty much how you could sum up my feelings towards the other aspects of the book, generally posotives, but with some clear negatives. For example, the artwork is aesthetically pleasing and has some very nice detail, but individual panels get confusing sometimes due to being over crowded and the layouts on occasion made action scenes difficult to follow. The fights show some clever strategy and unique interactions between powers, but when you boil them down they mostly consist of the übertypical "supporting characters get their asses kicked fighting a villain and then the main character shows up and saves the day" structure.

Black Clover is a series that is not afraid to show similarities to its inspiration, and it's perfectly reasonable to criticise it for that, however if you overlook it just for that you will be missing out on one a very charming and endearing shounen battle manga that certainly deserves its place in shounen jump. I don't think it's nearly as good as the big three when they started out, but I'm still excited to see where it goes.


I'm pretty much caught up on Black Clover now and I have to say, miles better than when it first started out. In my opinion, Chapters 40-73 were probably the best its had so far and I truly hope Yuki can keep writing like this. 1-39 felt like we were still starting to see the world for what it is and still being introduced to characters and their powers, while also being introduced to new villains. As of right now, we're now heading into a new arc and I can only hope it gets better from here on out. An OVA got announced, so that's good!
An9el 
28887 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
http://myanimelis...
Offline
Posted 9/8/16
idk why black clover gets so mutch hate so it has alot of simularities to another authors works not like this is the 1st time its happened and not like its the worst reason i feel like there over hateing it just cause its got alot of simularities to naruto
1035 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / F
Offline
Posted 9/9/16
I quite like the manga.
482 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Armed-Detective A...
Offline
Posted 9/10/16
Black Clover is a nice thing to look forward every week, without being too excited for the events
20 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Virginia, United...
Offline
Posted 9/14/16
I stumbled onto Black Clover about a month ago and I got into it very early on. I like the characters, the world looks to be complex, and I am interested to see what could revealed about its past. From what I understand about why it is on the worst manga list, is that people are criticizing it for having the same theme/ideas as Naruto. I think that is a bit silly to criticize it for that. There are so many other manga and anime out there that have the same "never give up" and " work hard to achieve" message, so why is this one getting the criticized? It would be like criticizing two stories that deal with revenge themes. There is manga flying out the window that deal with revenge.

I won't deny that there are indeed similarities but there are differences that make it its own. I am looking forward to more from this manga. I am not trying to say that you have to like Black Clover. If you don't like it that's fine; I am saying that I think it might be excessive to consider it the worst for this year.
28685 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 9/14/16

David-M wrote:

If you don't like it that's fine; I am saying that I think it might be excessive to consider it the worst for this year.


The only ones who voted it worst manga at Comic con (which is a western event mind you) were 5 or so people . That's it, lol. They picked up the first volume and judged the entire series based off of reading the first 8 or so chapters. Not very credible if you ask me.
709 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Kansas, USA
Offline
Posted 9/15/16

Lemontitties wrote:


David-M wrote:

If you don't like it that's fine; I am saying that I think it might be excessive to consider it the worst for this year.


The only ones who voted it worst manga at Comic con (which is a western event mind you) were 5 or so people . That's it, lol. They picked up the first volume and judged the entire series based off of reading the first 8 or so chapters. Not very credible if you ask me.


So, essentially any review panel ever.
I find critics and review panels to be counterintuitive. It's a biased process left at the mercy of the tastes and expectations of a select few who are, more often than not, elitist or snobbish as it is.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.