First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply Anime that aged well
16406 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / east coast. Let t...
Offline
Posted 7/29/16

TheAngryLittleAlchemist wrote:

FMA 03. Don't care with Brotherhood fans say, go fuck yourself. Also ... somewhat Neon Genesis Evangelion, even if a lot of its rip offs have better animation now. Oh! I'm watching Revolutionary Girl Utena right now ... it's great, and it's soooo weird even for anime, and it's characters and music are sooo good I can't help but feel it aged well. Especially because the art style is like ... surrealist.


I agree. Fma is fine. I like Brotherhood slightly better but people act like the original is gahbage. Certain parts of Fma are better than Fmab
55915 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / NY
Offline
Posted 7/29/16
Outlaw Star
6947 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 7/29/16

sonic720 wrote:

Outlaw Star


Gene Starwind approves.
Posted 7/29/16
Pretty much all the older Studio Ghilbli films.
7061 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Costa Rica
Offline
Posted 7/29/16 , edited 7/29/16
Cowboy Bebop, it still has better animation than many modern shows.
Trigun
Ghost in The Shell
Ninja Scroll (the movie, obviously)
Yu Yu Hakusho
Record of Lodoss War
Akira

And for a more recent show, as others have said, the 2003 version of Fullmetal Alchemist. I know many people think of it as garbage compared to Brotherhood, but the original FMA is far superior to the majority of shows that have come out in recent years and somehow end up being popular.
16406 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / east coast. Let t...
Offline
Posted 7/29/16

LokiLB wrote:


TheAngryLittleAlchemist wrote:


LokiLB wrote:

Nausicaa
Trigun
Yu Yu Hakusho


Uh...Trigun? Not really ...


I still watch it and enjoy it. It's still one of my favorite anime series.


While I must agree that it's a wonderful story I must admit that the animation doesn't hold up and certain designs are a bit iffy.
Again. One of my favorites.
16741 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Hoosierville
Offline
Posted 7/29/16

TheAngryLittleAlchemist wrote:


LokiLB wrote:

Nausicaa
Trigun
Yu Yu Hakusho


Uh...Trigun? Not really ...


I gotta agree with him. Those 3 are still really good anime to this day.

Add in Ghost in the Shell. It REALLY applies more today than when it was released.

5206 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / M
Offline
Posted 7/29/16

Rujikin wrote:


TheAngryLittleAlchemist wrote:


LokiLB wrote:

Nausicaa
Trigun
Yu Yu Hakusho


Uh...Trigun? Not really ...


I gotta agree with him. Those 3 are still really good anime to this day.

Add in Ghost in the Shell. It REALLY applies more today than when it was released.



Aging well =/= good today

Any anime can be "good today", it doesn't mean it's aged well.

The best aging 90's anime I've seen is still probably Serial Experiments lain tbh because it's minimalist and it has great animation
16741 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Hoosierville
Offline
Posted 7/29/16

TheAngryLittleAlchemist wrote:


Rujikin wrote:


TheAngryLittleAlchemist wrote:


LokiLB wrote:

Nausicaa
Trigun
Yu Yu Hakusho


Uh...Trigun? Not really ...


I gotta agree with him. Those 3 are still really good anime to this day.

Add in Ghost in the Shell. It REALLY applies more today than when it was released.



Aging well =/= good today

Any anime can be "good today", it doesn't mean it's aged well.

The best aging 90's anime I've seen is still probably Serial Experiments lain tbh because it's minimalist and it has great animation


Newer anime can be choppier than Yu Yu hakusho and GITS and they seem to focus too much on special effects or super amazing eye effects instead of the actual battle.

Trigun was made to be comedic and its animation reflects it. It doesn't over do some of the tropes newer anime try to use NONSTOP.
5206 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / M
Offline
Posted 7/29/16

Rujikin wrote:


TheAngryLittleAlchemist wrote:


Rujikin wrote:


TheAngryLittleAlchemist wrote:


LokiLB wrote:

Nausicaa
Trigun
Yu Yu Hakusho


Uh...Trigun? Not really ...


I gotta agree with him. Those 3 are still really good anime to this day.

Add in Ghost in the Shell. It REALLY applies more today than when it was released.



Aging well =/= good today

Any anime can be "good today", it doesn't mean it's aged well.

The best aging 90's anime I've seen is still probably Serial Experiments lain tbh because it's minimalist and it has great animation


Newer anime can be choppier than Yu Yu hakusho and GITS and they seem to focus too much on special effects or super amazing eye effects instead of the actual battle.

Trigun was made to be comedic and its animation reflects it. It doesn't over do some of the tropes newer anime try to use NONSTOP.



Ya GITS and Serial and Bebop and EVA and Yu Yu, definitely held up.

However, you're comparing style over substance. The STLYE of newer animes comedically suck ass because they use to many tropes non stop, that doesn't mean that Trigun's animation quality holds up, it means its art design/style does.
22932 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
52 / M / Bay Area
Offline
Posted 7/29/16
Vandread-15 years old still pretty good not a typical harem style
16741 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Hoosierville
Offline
Posted 7/29/16

TheAngryLittleAlchemist wrote:


Rujikin wrote:


TheAngryLittleAlchemist wrote:


Rujikin wrote:


TheAngryLittleAlchemist wrote:


LokiLB wrote:

Nausicaa
Trigun
Yu Yu Hakusho


Uh...Trigun? Not really ...


I gotta agree with him. Those 3 are still really good anime to this day.

Add in Ghost in the Shell. It REALLY applies more today than when it was released.



Aging well =/= good today

Any anime can be "good today", it doesn't mean it's aged well.

The best aging 90's anime I've seen is still probably Serial Experiments lain tbh because it's minimalist and it has great animation


Newer anime can be choppier than Yu Yu hakusho and GITS and they seem to focus too much on special effects or super amazing eye effects instead of the actual battle.

Trigun was made to be comedic and its animation reflects it. It doesn't over do some of the tropes newer anime try to use NONSTOP.



Ya GITS and Serial and Bebop and EVA and Yu Yu, definitely held up.

However, you're comparing style over substance. The STLYE of newer animes comedically suck ass because they use to many tropes non stop, that doesn't mean that Trigun's animation quality holds up, it means its art design/style does.


Methinks you don't like Trigun because style would refer to the design/look and substance would refer to tropes and story.
5206 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / M
Offline
Posted 7/29/16

Rujikin wrote:


TheAngryLittleAlchemist wrote:


Rujikin wrote:


TheAngryLittleAlchemist wrote:


Rujikin wrote:


TheAngryLittleAlchemist wrote:


LokiLB wrote:

Nausicaa
Trigun
Yu Yu Hakusho


Uh...Trigun? Not really ...


I gotta agree with him. Those 3 are still really good anime to this day.

Add in Ghost in the Shell. It REALLY applies more today than when it was released.



Aging well =/= good today

Any anime can be "good today", it doesn't mean it's aged well.

The best aging 90's anime I've seen is still probably Serial Experiments lain tbh because it's minimalist and it has great animation


Newer anime can be choppier than Yu Yu hakusho and GITS and they seem to focus too much on special effects or super amazing eye effects instead of the actual battle.

Trigun was made to be comedic and its animation reflects it. It doesn't over do some of the tropes newer anime try to use NONSTOP.



Ya GITS and Serial and Bebop and EVA and Yu Yu, definitely held up.

However, you're comparing style over substance. The STLYE of newer animes comedically suck ass because they use to many tropes non stop, that doesn't mean that Trigun's animation quality holds up, it means its art design/style does.


Methinks you don't like Trigun because style would refer to the design/look and substance would refer to tropes and story.


NO bud. You don't understand.

Your argument was that Trigun has aged well because the style of the anime is superior to the style of most modern anime comedies. I can agree on that, but that doesn't change that the animation is fairly poor, the frame can be choppy, and the quality is just meh. It hasn't aged well, but the substance of the series is pretty great, one of the best 90's animes. But I wouldn't say it's aged well presentation wise, even if it happens to have really good jokes and style.
Posted 7/29/16
Meh, I don't compare new vs old bc graphics are secondary to plot and if there weren't any of the classics the new wouldn't exist.

6947 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 7/29/16

scoobydew wrote:

Vandread-15 years old still pretty good not a typical harem style


I agree. It still holds up. I am currently watching it again.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.