First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply Anime that aged well
16741 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Hoosierville
Offline
Posted 7/29/16

TheAngryLittleAlchemist wrote:


Rujikin wrote:


TheAngryLittleAlchemist wrote:


Rujikin wrote:


TheAngryLittleAlchemist wrote:


Rujikin wrote:


TheAngryLittleAlchemist wrote:


LokiLB wrote:

Nausicaa
Trigun
Yu Yu Hakusho


Uh...Trigun? Not really ...


I gotta agree with him. Those 3 are still really good anime to this day.

Add in Ghost in the Shell. It REALLY applies more today than when it was released.



Aging well =/= good today

Any anime can be "good today", it doesn't mean it's aged well.

The best aging 90's anime I've seen is still probably Serial Experiments lain tbh because it's minimalist and it has great animation


Newer anime can be choppier than Yu Yu hakusho and GITS and they seem to focus too much on special effects or super amazing eye effects instead of the actual battle.

Trigun was made to be comedic and its animation reflects it. It doesn't over do some of the tropes newer anime try to use NONSTOP.



Ya GITS and Serial and Bebop and EVA and Yu Yu, definitely held up.

However, you're comparing style over substance. The STLYE of newer animes comedically suck ass because they use to many tropes non stop, that doesn't mean that Trigun's animation quality holds up, it means its art design/style does.


Methinks you don't like Trigun because style would refer to the design/look and substance would refer to tropes and story.


NO bud. You don't understand.

Your argument was that Trigun has aged well because the style of the anime is superior to the style of most modern anime comedies. I can agree on that, but that doesn't change that the animation is fairly poor, the frame can be choppy, and the quality is just meh. It hasn't aged well, but the substance of the series is pretty great, one of the best 90's animes. But I wouldn't say it's aged well presentation wise, even if it happens to have really good jokes and style.


I said the style reflected the type of anime that it was. The style matched what the story was telling. The two worked pretty well together.

Anymore I think there is a major animation software that everyone uses because a lot of series have the same animation feel to them despite being in very different genres. I almost think the newer software can't do as much variety as the older series.
5206 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / M
Offline
Posted 7/29/16
Ryujikn, this is getting kind of ridicolous m8.

Style =/= animation quality.

Just because a style ages well does not mean the entire presentation of the anime has aged well.

Cowboy Bebop's Noir style could have aged amazing, but if the animation wasn't so good the presentation still wouldn't have aged well(most likely).

That's how it is with Trigun. Style = aged well . Animation? Not at all.
637 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 7/29/16
Older series can likely do more sometimes and I say sometimes because a lot of the panels were still hand drawn and then put into film reels. There was far less CGI used on older anime series then what's shown today for a lot of shows and it shows in some series. GITS, for example, is one that uses CGI for its animation but only for the Tachikoma primarily to integrate them alongside Mikoto, Bato, etc. It seemed to flow very well because of this. Other series like Saint Seiya work completely fine without it and I've really enjoyed what I've watched of that series.
LokiLB 
41550 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/29/16
I don't see anything wrong with Trigun's animation or artwork. Definitely don't notice any choppiness.
Not like it's got South Park animation.
70034 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 7/29/16 , edited 7/29/16
I'm sure we can push this back further than the 90s.

The Rose of Versailles has aged incredibly well. The animation feels surprisingly contemporary, the style borders on timeless, the art and presentation are often striking, the story has a classical feel that gives it longevity but while also dealing with themes of identity which are still very current, and the story bypasses overbearing romantic tropes excluding one later arc, focusing instead on character arcs, court intrigue, and a romanticized lead-up to the French Revolution.

It may be more obvious to others, but I basically forgot I was watching a show from the 70s and tore through it.

4312 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Cali
Offline
Posted 7/29/16
Yu Yu Hakusho

The Guyver Ova looks just as good as the reboot even with the reboots higher quality animation

Ninja Scroll still looks great
7413 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
48 / M / New England, USA
Offline
Posted 7/30/16 , edited 7/30/16
Armitage III
Ruin Explorers
8 Man After
Angel Cop
Wicked City
Supernatural Beast City Shinjuku
Goku Midnight Eye
Violence Jack
You're Under Arrest
They Were 11
Riding Bean
Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water
3x3 Eyes
Urusei Yatsura
Ghost Sweeper Mikami
Hurricane Polymer
Sorcerer Hunters
X
Lensman
Outlanders
8738 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Behind you!
Offline
Posted 7/30/16

scoobydew wrote:

Vandread-15 years old still pretty good not a typical harem style

One of my favorites, main character was clueless of woman but not useless or SUPER SAYIAN 9000 OP! trying to be the bad ass.
17735 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
55 / M /
Offline
Posted 7/30/16
Planetes is perhaps the best hard science anime ever. To bad it is so freaking hard to find. I'm glad I got the DVDs of it.
3266 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / Somewhere...
Offline
Posted 7/30/16
I don't really compare new to old. I still enjoy the stuff I grew up with just the same as I do newer anime, so I go more on what could I watch over and over:

Cowboy Bebop
Ranma 1/2
Studio Ghibli anything
17735 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
55 / M /
Offline
Posted 7/30/16

Akane1984 wrote:

I don't really compare new to old. I still enjoy the stuff I grew up with just the same as I do newer anime, so I go more on what could I watch over and over:

Cowboy Bebop
Ranma 1/2
Studio Ghibli anything


Good choices. Only problem with Ranma 1/2 is Happosai.

3266 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / Somewhere...
Offline
Posted 7/30/16

Gafennec wrote:


Akane1984 wrote:

I don't really compare new to old. I still enjoy the stuff I grew up with just the same as I do newer anime, so I go more on what could I watch over and over:

Cowboy Bebop
Ranma 1/2
Studio Ghibli anything


Good choices. Only problem with Ranma 1/2 is Happosai.


Ha, yeah Happosai get's annoying from time to time, but I still love the show. ^_^
1851 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
116 / M
Offline
Posted 7/30/16 , edited 7/30/16
The best stuff from the 80s and 90s has aged incredibly well. I can still watch things I've never seen from then and enjoy them tons. Kind of tapers off for me in the 00s though.But the last few years have produced quite a few good things I like. Recent stuff like Ushio & Tora, Blood Blockade Battlefront, JoJo, Tiger & Bunny, and My Hero Academia should age pretty well.
10598 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 7/30/16

JDesensitized wrote:

The best stuff from the 80s and 90s has aged incredibly well. I can still watch things I've never seen from then and enjoy them tons. Kind of tapers off for me in the 00s though.But the last few years have produced quite a few good things I like. Recent stuff like Ushio & Tora, Blood Blockade Battlefront, JoJo, Tiger & Bunny, and My Hero Academia should age pretty well.


Tiger & Bunny I can't see as holding together, by its very nature.

As to recent Future Perfect shows, I think Moyashimon will be pretty enduring. Fermentation only gets better, after all.
41864 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / M / Memphis, TN
Offline
Posted 7/30/16 , edited 7/30/16
Some great choices listed so far! I'd add Grave of the Fireflies and Kite (movies) and Shamanic Princess (series).
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.